Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sturgill Simpson's organ player

MathOfInsects

Caught Sturgill Simpson on SNL last night. His organ player is Bobby Emmett. Any of you know him? Any of you ARE him? I thought he did a kick-ass job.

First Clip: Just some good playing and a nice little solo

Second Clip: Over the top, standing on the organ, destroyed it at the end. Still good playing...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere in New York a backline company is filling out equipment damage forms and tallying up an invoice... ;)

Totally dug that, although I didn't see it live, and had to suffer through shitty smartphone-filmed bootlegs on YouTube (seriously, NBC, stop treating Canada like a friggin' lunar outpost, would ya?).

I can imagine there will be some around here that dislike those performances, but they have to be in bed by 8:30, so no biggie. ;)

Sorry but I don't think there was anything special there. Best thing was the horn section and as far as the organ player with the constant smears and trashing a classic B3---- well as my mother always told me-----

BTW Mark Stein took the back off his B a long time ago, yea I go back a few,years.

And I stayed up till 1:15 AM

I like to see keyboard players with stage presence. Enjoyed the flashy playing, and didn't mind the standing/rocking on the organ, but when he flipped it over at the end it kind of bothered me.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

All the guys were talking about it on my church gig this AM. Love the trumpet trumpet trombone trombone tenor bari sound. Huge! And staged so strangely.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The band and tunes were cool. As for the keys guy's antics, here's the thing: He succeeded because,like his act or not,we're talking about him/them and I'm sure we're not alone. I just hope that poor B belongs to him.

Regarding Emerson,at least he confined his wrestling act to the L100. Add to that the guy was a musical god who could have gotten away with a lot worse in my eyes.

Although I didn't see it live, and had to suffer through shitty smartphone-filmed bootlegs on YouTube (seriously, NBC, stop treating Canada like a friggin' lunar outpost, would ya?).

Amen. But until then,

CLONK

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

The B is his. He bought that battered B cabinet from a fellow member of a Hammond tech group I'm on on FB and he stuffed it with an A-100.

Aside from the Hammond fall down go boom they kicked ass and took names though...love me some Sturgill. He's got an ass-kicker of a live band. They really smoked on Keep Between The Lines...my god the horn riff and the groove on that tune...it just slams.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I had the weekend off. I needed it.

I watched a little bit of TV and saw these guys on PBS. I think the show was called 'Live at the Artist Den'. Maybe you can find it streamed somewhere is you want to see a bigger set.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/f79b51_bfc60e98e4ef4213a3ad8654a29db244.jpg/v1/fill/w_620,h_420/f79b51_bfc60e98e4ef4213a3ad8654a29db244.jpg

[video:youtube]

I know, I know.....but that was a measley L-100. ;)

....plus a lot of what Keith did at least had a degree musical purpose or for special sound effects (e.g., using the knives to hold down notes, rattling the spring reverb); I'm still struggling to find the value of just flipping it over at the end of the song. However, it's good to know that he did not risk damage to someone else's organ, a prospect that contributed to much of my discomfort. Otherwise, this would have been approaching a situation like that dude who smashed the Vox Continental a while back.

I will now resume watching my robust collection of demolition derby videos. :D

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Loved it! Throw back to old school energy & the horns kicked!

Agreed!!! But didn't like trashing the B3. Not sure what that adds......

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Yeah, knocking over the B3 bothered me too. There is a finite supply of them. IMHO we should respect & preserve the ones we have left. To me sacrificing a legacy instrument for the sake of "show" was disrespectful to the instrument. And no, I didn't like it when Keith was destroying his Hammond(s) back in the day either. My only other criticism is: although they played with great energy everyone was on 11 all the time. Bring it down to at least 9.5 or 10 so the soloist can go to 11 and stand out a bit.

Yeah, knocking over the B3 bothered me too. There is a finite supply of them. IMHO we should respect & preserve the ones we have left. To me sacrificing a legacy instrument for the sake of "show" was disrespectful to the instrument.

(See post above. B cab with A-100 inside.)

www.joshweinstein.com

Don't know the organ player but I know the drummer Miles Miller. He's from my hometown. I went to church with his family for years/decades. Actually Sturgill Simpson grew up there too, but I don't know him.

Loved the drummer's rockabilly kit. Kick, snare, hat, two cymbals, call it a day.

www.joshweinstein.com

Hey, the guy was on national TV. He had a chance to be polite and fade into eternal obscurity.

Instead he will always be remembered for his performance.

In my opinion, music needs a lot more of those guys.

I was more disappointed in his constant smear technique and re-cycling the same riff through two different songs.

I noticed no one is complaining about Sturgill slamming his Tele on the ground? (I'm 50% guitar player, don't hold it against me!)

I thought the bass player and drummer drove a groove a mile wide. Awesome. Best group on that show in ages.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Hey, the guy was on national TV. He had a chance to be polite and fade into eternal obscurity.

Instead he will always be remembered for his performance.

In my opinion, music needs a lot more of those guys.

I was more disappointed in his constant smear technique and re-cycling the same riff through two different songs.

I noticed no one is complaining about Sturgill slamming his Tele on the ground? (I'm 50% guitar player, don't hold it against me!)

I thought the bass player and drummer drove a groove a mile wide. Awesome. Best group on that show in ages.

I agree. My wife & I watched the performance and it was one of the best musical performances we saw on SNL in along time, and she said they reminded her of a band I was in back in the 70's. Didn't bust up any organs though.
Hammond XK3-C; Yamaha Tyros 3; Casio PX-5S; Yamaha DX7 IID; Yamaha DGX 520; Yamaha Stagepas 500 & KS50 (x2) Leslie 147(1971) Lots of other stuff

Archived