Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Something New from Spectrasonics

What are you implying by your description, Murman? Is Keyscape/Omnisphere ready for prime time when it comes to gigging or is this thing relegated to the studio due to slow patch switching, inability to do high polyphony (sustain pedal/layering) at low latency on anything but the latest i5 / i7 processors and 16gb of RAM or better?

Keep in mind what a big deal folks made about the Motifs not being able to sustain previous sound when switching patches prior to the Montage.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened to the whole video demo the other day. It's a nice idea to have all those accurate multi-samples somehow at your disposal. Maybe some day they play back even better and on machines with built in support of cross-sample interpolation of some kind. As is, I'm sure some people will like it, but there's no mixing band preparation in there, the low end is horribly distorted and over-exposed somehow, and I really prefer an instrument that doesn't do "cloink" everytime you play a note, and that doesn't make only a few chords work so-so, because some samples happen to sound a bit like a real soundboard response together. So: predictable sampler limitations aside, I suppose it's nice, but not for me.

T.

What i find ackward is the joy people get out of hearing quirks of all kinds.

A top grand piano, tries to minimise every possible friction in their mechanism and annoying ''thumb'' that occurs when lifting the damper.

To my surprise it became a selling point.

Simulated ''let off/escapement'' and audible ''thumb'' and ''quirk'' sounds.

Some digitals have way to much damper noise on default while pressing a digital simulated pedal.

One of the few benefits of a digital are no need for tuning and to bypass those habits the piano industry themselves are trying to avoid as much as possible.

Why implement those things ?

Sure, sympathic and damper resonance is a must, mechanism noises are not.....it is just another hype ,because people believe that those ''sounds'' should be part of the ''real'' sound.

I have a piano CD (Claudio Arrau) where you clearly hear him shove around his piano bench...sjjjj sjjjj sjjjj. What's next a randomly implemented effect that simulates ''real piano bench artifacts'' ?

Just as i noticed how much nail and finger noises are recorded on acoustic guitar, something that was avoided in records a few decades ago, but now we seem to love all those artifacts.

I guess i am not one of the fanboys when it comes to distracting noises.

What are you implying by your description, Murman? Is Keyscape/Omnisphere ready for prime time when it comes to gigging or is this thing relegated to the studio due to slow patch switching, inability to do high polyphony (sustain pedal/layering) at low latency on anything but the latest i5 / i7 processors and 16gb of RAM or better?

Keep in mind what a big deal folks made about the Motifs not being able to sustain previous sound when switching patches prior to the Montage.

I do think all this talk about using Keyscape live is a bit premature. It depnds on expectations I think. The 1-2 second load time is for Omnisphere samples which are much smaller than Trillian. Trillian samples take anywhere from 5 - 10 seconds to fully load on my system (non-SSD HD). They are playable sooner in "preview" mode, but you might hit some glitches. You can also turn on LITE which brings in less samples and the load times are obviously better. Don't know how these instruments will sound in LITE mode but you do have some control over what is switched off, e.g. round robins.

In LIVE mode you can load up to eight instruments simultaneously and switch between them seamlessly.

[video:youtube]

Link to Live mode settings

Live Mode

I suspect an i5 with 8GB on a hybrid tablet/PC is going to be pretty minimum.

Busch.

What makes you think I'm implying anything? First, I described my experience with Omnisphere. Patch sustain when playing live is a big deal to me. I use Omnisphere Live mode and it works great.

I then speculated whether adding Keyscape would work well on a machine with SSD and 8GB RAM. I don't know and will wait until I read about performance from the early users. If it works well with the class of machine I use, I might be a buyer.

I suspect an i5 with 8GB on a hybrid tablet/PC is going to be pretty minimum.

This is my concern.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

It depends on your approach to live playing, the style of music you play, and the role you are expected to fill.

Myself - I like to have a smaller palette of high quality sounds, rather than cover a lot of bases. I have friends that I consider superlative players, that take the opposite approach. and to great effect.

I don't need to change between tons of Keyscape or other sounds. If the Wurly, Rhodes, or acoustic pianos are world beaters, having 2 or 3 of those in my live set up is sufficient, and I am confident based on past experience that my MS set up can handle that.

Having the great variety, ability to process through Omnisphere, composite sounds, and all of that appeal more to me for studio use.

If everything is superlative - I 'll be using this set for years in some fashion, and the expense becomes pretty reasonable.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Am I remembering right - I think Alicia's Keys allows you to mix in the sound of her fingernails hitting the keys? :)

That's going a little far I think. But IMO a little of the regular "noises" does help differentiate the better AP VIs from the more clinical-sounding slabs that just have samples of the strings getting hit with the hammers & nothing more.

The question is, how do we want to hear these noises? From the perspective of a listener, as one might hear on a well-recorded CD, or from the player's perspective sitting less than a meter away from the mechanism and strings and hearing it with our own ears? In my case I prefer the latter anything that makes the experience as real as possible to me will help my playing. But I do agree that they must be subtle which is up to us of course as all the VIs with these "noises" allow the user to control their levels. Better to have them and give the option to turn their level down (or turn them off), I think.

I then speculated whether adding Keyscape would work well on a machine with SSD and 8GB RAM. I don't know and will wait until I read about performance from the early users. If it works well with the class of machine I use, I might be a buyer.

This is pretty close to how I am thinking also. Currently using an I7 with 8GB and SSD but will need to see what performance people are getting. There is always the option to join the herd in a couple of years after kinks are worked out.

What i find ackward is the joy people get out of hearing quirks of all kinds. A top grand piano, tries to minimise every possible friction in their mechanism and annoying ''thumb'' that occurs when lifting the damper.

To my surprise it became a selling point.

Simulated ''let off/escapement'' and audible ''thumb'' and ''quirk'' sounds.

Some digitals have way to much damper noise on default while pressing a digital simulated pedal.

Love that about Pianoteq- the noises are there, but can be minimized or eliminated.

I may have lost my intrepid purchase on the day of release fervor. All I think it would take is one or two glowing customer reviews to restore that, but I may wait a week or so and see.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Keyscape Pre-Orders are $60.00 off at AudioDeluxe - $379.00 + plus additional in-cart discount.

Thanks for the tip. I looked at this. It isn't clear at AudioDeluxe but I believe this is the boxed/drive version which would need to be shipped. Nice to have the drive as backup but it's not instantaneous gratification like the download. I believe you can only do the download buying direct from Spectrasonics. Ilio has the boxed/drive version and offer free next day shipping with the tag line "Order it now, so you're ready to install and authorize it on September 12!" So it appears they will be shipping on 9/11, but they are at $399.

Busch.

I recently had to redownload Omnisphere. It took almost 2 days. I am inclined to go for the USB drives. Audiodeluxe's price is pretty attractive.

Keyscape Pre-Orders are $60.00 off at AudioDeluxe - $379.00 + plus additional in-cart discount.

What code did you use?

My discount is only $38.01 :(

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I got mine today, but I guess no installers 'til Monday. I was hoping to get it on the drive this weekend and then just authorize on Monday.

Update: Yesterday when I logged into my acct., I couldn't get the installers. Today I could. :)