Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Module for iPad (Ivory option)

burningbusch

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_module_for_ipad/modules.php

Piano,

EP

B3

Clav

Multi

Ivory Mobile Grand

SYNTHOGY

Ivory Mobile Grand

The famous "Ivory" brand software piano sound module from Synthogy is available as a sound library for KORG Module.

Synthogy

From Synthogy Premium Concert Grand Piano Library from Synthogy, makers of the award-winning Ivory brand of virtual pianos. This German Steinway D Concert Grand is from the same source recordings of their highly acclaimed Ivory II Grand Pianos virtual instrument. Ivory Mobile Grand offers the same stellar sound quality and playability that has made Ivory the choice of professional artists around the world.

Busch.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set List Functionality

- Change programs for each song you perform

- View images or PDF scores

- Use the internal camera to capture memos, etc.

- Edit text to create memos

- Load text files

- Load and play songs from the library of the Music app

- Adjust the playback speed of songs

MIDI Player

- Load and play Standard MIDI Files

Audio Recording

- Upload to SoundCloud

- Upload to Dropbox

- Export to Mac/PC via iTunes file sharing

Wurley Electric Piano (option like Ivory)

This samples a vintage electric piano that creates sound by striking a reed (vibrating plate). Samples are un-looped, providing the same decay as the original. Multiple velocity layers are used, so your playing touch will produce natural changes to the sound. This library gives you the electric piano sounds that were featured in those original great songs.

Busch.

The Ivory clip sure sounds a lot better than the stock piano clip for the app, which has that same quality that bugs me about other Korg pianos.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Ivory clip sure sounds a lot better than the stock piano clip for the app, which has that same quality that bugs me about other Korg pianos.
My thoughts exactly. Also, the Rhodes and the clav have too much effect on them to truly tell what they sound like, although I suspect they're pretty darn good. The organ is awful.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Could be interesting!

I recently got my mi.1 (iPad bluetooth MIDI adaptor) up and running, so have been trying a handful of VI apps available for iOS. Galileo Organ is great, as are the Neo-Soul Keys EPs.

I'm not sure I hear too much in the stock 'Module' library to convince me to buy, however the I would also be interested in how the clav sounds without effects. I don't believe there are any Clavinet VIs for iOS yet.

The Ivory add-on sounds pretty decent...I wonder how many MBs the samples have been squashed down to?

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I wonder how big the Ivory add-on is, and how much it will cost.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If I have to bring an iPad, why not just bring my Macbook Air that is nearly the same size and tremendously more capable?

Ergonomics (flat vs. clamshell simplifies placement). Touch screen interface (much better than keys/trackpad/mouse for live use). $249 (for a Mini)... cheaper than a MacBook Air OR an iPhone (though of course not cheaper than one you already own!).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This looks really interesting. Thanks BB. :thu:

I've taken an iPad to casual jams, mostly to make synthy, spacy sounds on Animoog and the like. :roll:

Imitative sounds (by contrast) have always seemed out of reach. This seems to (forgive the expression) change the game to where the basic sounds you would use a rompler or electro for can live on an iPad with some loss in sound quality. IK Multimedia used to be only game in town for this AFAIK.

While this is undoubtedly a move in the right direction, none of these samples sound cutting edge to me -- they're still average ROMpler quality. I particularly dislike the Rhodes sound -- too glassy. Using an iPad as a sound module is still not a reality for me.

Why no version for iPhone? That's my dream, to use something I carry around anyway as my sound module. If I have to bring an iPad, why not just bring my Macbook Air that is nearly the same size and tremendously more capable?

Then just bring your Macbook Air. ;)

I wouldn't recommend getting an iPad just to run Korg Module. I use my iPad for the apps that take advantage of the multitouch screen and are not available for Mac. Also, it's more convenient to take the iPad around for travel (local commute and going on trips). I've had laptops and they're awkward to use on the train.

While this is undoubtedly a move in the right direction, none of these samples sound cutting edge to me -- they're still average ROMpler quality. I particularly dislike the Rhodes sound -- too glassy. Using an iPad as a sound module is still not a reality for me.

and the audience still won't care or notice

:)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I know that it's too new, but some things left me wondering (if they are there, I could not find):

1) Does it support splits or layers on the set list thingy?

2) Does the organ and clav have a screen with real time controls sucha as switches and drawbars?

3) To use it on any keyboard, just a CCK and a regular USB cable is enough or we need an interface?

4) does it support things assignaled to pedals, as expression, wah, rotary on/off, etc?

Even if it is not ideal, if it's reasonably priced (hoping for that), it fefinetly caught my interest and liked what I heard. :)

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

The Ivory add-on sounds pretty decent...I wonder how many MBs the samples have been squashed down to?

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_module_for_ipad/specifications.php

Required Free Space

1.2GB

Expansion Sound Libraries

- SYNTHOGY Ivory Mobile Grand : 2GB

Wow, that's smaller than I expected.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Why no version for iPhone? That's my dream, to use something I carry around anyway as my sound module.

There's really no reason other than "because" - The processing power of an iPhone is pretty much in-line with iPads now so they would certainly be capable of running the app. I'm not a dev so I don't know exactly what making a version for both devices entails labor-wise. My guess is they figured most would want the iPad version.

Why no version for iPhone?

There's really no reason other than "because" - The processing power of an iPhone is pretty much in-line with iPads now so they would certainly be capable of running the app.

Some apps are designed around an interface that is not suited to a small screen.

If I have to bring an iPad, why not just bring my Macbook Air that is nearly the same size and tremendously more capable?

Ergonomics (flat vs. clamshell simplifies placement). Touch screen interface (much better than keys/trackpad/mouse for live use). $249 (for a Mini)... cheaper than a MacBook Air OR an iPhone (though of course not cheaper than one you already own!).

I have the opposite view on most of this. A Macbook Air can sit on a flat service and still be viewed while the iPad needs a stand, there are times when a keyboard and trek-pad and much easier to use than a touchscreen with no keyboard, the Macbok Air is just a few hundred more than a loaded iPad and has much better specks and interface options. In addition, Ivory and other products on the Macbook Air are going to be several levels above what you can get on an iPad. On the other side, the software on the iPad is much, much cheaper and does not subject you to variants of iLok.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Why no version for iPhone?

There's really no reason other than "because" - The processing power of an iPhone is pretty much in-line with iPads now so they would certainly be capable of running the app.

Some apps are designed around an interface that is not suited to a small screen.

Many iPad apps have a version with an interface designed for the smaller screen of iPhone/iPad touch. But, as I pointed out in the second part of my post, there is a cost involved in designing a second app and most people would probably opt for the iPad version anyway. So there isn't an iPhone version "because"... because they chose not to make one. :) But there's no technical reason why it couldn't be done. Korg's "Gedget" app is iPad only as well, so it seems that is the platform they have chosen.

I am also curious whether it's multi-timbral or not. Sure would be nice to stack, split and layer sounds. I've been trying that with IK SampleTank for iOS but need to dig in deeper. SampleTank has (imho) passable practice/rehearsal sounds, plus there are in-app purchases like Miroslav Philharmonik and SampleMoog that are already available. Could be Korg's way of playing catch up. I really like the fact that it is usable within the Korg Gadget app. I've been having a ball with that one as well.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Thanks Busch. If you freeze it right at the 10 second mark, you can see a blue pop-up screen that appears to have possibly patches within the E.Piano category, but I didn't see any splash screens that looked like any split or layering going on. I hope there is. I still feel like we're not quite there yet in making the iPad a viable alternate to a stage rig, but I'm seeing it getting closer and closer to maybe being a practice/rehearsal rig. You can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel though. MainStage can do this. I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple doesn't just do a MainStage for iOS and call it a day. They'd sell as many of those as Korg will sell of these. I know I'll download Module as soon as it's available. But then again, I'm kind of a geek like that!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I've been using iOS VST's for awhile now.

My favorites so far are Galileo Orgn and Korg iPoly Six.

Even on my lowly iPad 2, they run perfectly.

On occasion I use them live.

I use my Korg M50-61 as the controller.

The interface is an Alesis iODock.

It keeps the pad charged, and I love having the midi in and out as well as the two 1/4" out (l+r).

I have never liked the tenuous connection of my iRig or the Apple CCK.

Anyway, back to the apps. Both Galileo and iPolysix can run in background mode. This is very cool live as I can have them both up.

I have some combis on the M50 with timbres set to whatever midi channel the particular app is on. So, I just call up that combi, and away I go.

I have not had a problem yet playing the apps live in this manner.

I will be getting the new Korg module as soon as it's released.

Like midinut I, too, am a geek like that.

I also have Thor and Animoog.

One thing I have found, even on my iPad 2, I have to push really hard before I glitch the apps.

I have even played both Galileo and iPolysix at the same time from my M50, and it works fine.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Archived