Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Module for iPad (Ivory option)

burningbusch

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Truly, the latency is not a big issue, because one does get used to it. 10-12ms as I wrote originally is not that much really, however it may put off some folks, with the small lag between pressing a key and then hearing the sound. The video really proves nothing. I mean if I recorded playing the Korg Module (or the iLectric for that matter), there would be no audible latency would there :D I only posted the comparison with a hardware device to give an example.

I would add that iLectric has next to no latency issues for me, and iGrand is neglible afaiac. But it is there and should be noted. Does it detract from playing? Well that is going to vary from player to player :)

However what I believe WILL affect most, is that Korg cannot run in background mode. For that reason alone I will not use it. Until Korg modify it.

You're right I played with iLectric with the ultra-low latency setting and it's definitely better than the Korg Module.

Busch.

Midinut or Dave (Escaperocks),

Have either of you had a chance to spend more time with Module? I was curios as to your feelings now that you have worked with for a bit. I wondered if you were as disappointed as miden with the purchase?

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Midinut or Dave (Escaperocks),

Have either of you had a chance to spend more time with Module? I was curios as to your feelings now that you have worked with for a bit. I wondered if you were as disappointed as miden with the purchase?

Bill

Hey Bill,

Had a show last night so I haven't spent much more time with it yet.

I can say I haven't had as poor latency issues as Miden has shown.

I'm using iPad2 with os8.1.1 I use Alesis iODock with it's latest firmware. I was controlling it with my FA08.

I hope to play with it some more today later on. I'll let you know how it goes for me. I'll probably set it up with my PX-5S when I do.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Let me re-iterate, there is NO major issue with latency. All I wrote that the latency is about 10-12ms. Which gives a slight lag (slight) when playing a key to the sound being reproduced. Again, the audio demo was onyl to demonstrate this as opposed to a hardware unit (in my case a px-5s). However if playing the Korg module (or iGrand/iLectric) by themselves after a littel getting used to the slight lag there is no real problem. The sound quality is the real issue.

And for an app of this price I would ahve thought it would be better, especially with the hype Korg created around it. For a (approx) 1 gig data set they could have done better. IK's data set is about the same size, but they seem to do a muhc better job.

And again, no "run in the background" option is a REAL killer, for me anyway!

For those that do not understand this, it means that if you move to a different app while leaving Korg Module running, the Korg Module stops working.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I grabbed Module yesterday and have just poked around with it a bit, haven't had a chance to play it from a keyboard yet.

I like it. I think Set List could come in very handy, maybe eliminate the need for something like OnSong etc. if you only need the occasional lyric (isn't it funny how you can memorize a hundred songs, yet always have trouble remembering the first line on the same three or four?).

Nobody has mentioned the Organ sounds yet, initially I find they sound very strong and usable.

After messing around with other iPad soundsets and with limited sample memory I really wasn't expecting to be blown away, so count me as pleasantly surprised for what it will be used for. If I ever use it gigging I would have a Kronos or MOXF, and particularly the organ tones on Module with other iPad synth apps could really fill out the bill when using the MOXF.

Some of the piano presets sound like they would work fine. I'm tempted to add Ivory, I think the samples are from the original German D rather than their latest American D sample set. I used to use that sound a lot, but it has faded to the background on my computer in favor of Pianoteq, The Giant, and other current options. Don't know if it's going to really sound a whole lot better than the stock options, but hey, for less than a tank of gas....

One of the biggest pluses is the ability to access the sounds in Gadget. THAT app is really cool, the first music app I've really warmed up to when killing time with the iPad and the one that has turned my head to seeing the possibilities for composition and sound design, especially when riding shotgun on the highway.

The latency is great (as in it's extremely low), I don't know what some of you people are talking about.

I'm using a buffer of 32 samples, which is lower than I can get on my Quad Core I7 desktop w/Apogee Duet!

Also, it does run in the background just fine. I was doing it earlier today. You just have to enable it.

The latency is great (as in it's extremely low), I don't know what some of you people are talking about.

I'm using a buffer of 32 samples, which is lower than I can get on my Quad Core I7 desktop w/Apogee Duet!

Also, it does run in the background just fine. I was doing it earlier today. You just have to enable it.

Where is the control for this, I could not find it?

The main settings app. Thanks synthman909.

Busch.

hmmm.....I looked there and all I get is Bluetooth MIDI: Stereo/Mono: and Key Animation...under the settings gear wheel at top left

And I jsut went through the manual and could not find any mention of background operation.

Are you sure you are not using this in Korg Gadget instead of standalone?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

ahhh okay...that's fine then. I found that. But I have to say that is an unusual way of doing it. Pretty much all other apps I have , have the option "in-app".

Further, some indication of this would have been useful in the manual.

Anyway, it can be done so that's all that matters I suppose. Makes it a tad awkward if one needs to turn it off though. Adds a few more steps to the process. Okay at home, not so on a gig.

Cheers

I grabbed this tonight and have spent an hour or so playing around. The stock piano and EPs aren't much to write home about, but the Ivory grands are pretty decent. The surprise hit for me is the Clav - it sounds really nice and phat, especially with the Tube Drive effect. And key-off noises too, so an improvement on my Electro.

I picked it up for $30, plus another $20 for the Ivory pack.

Cheers,

James

z

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Yes, I agree - while the Ivory isn't on par with the VST/AU version, it is the most playable piano I've found in an iOS app.

I also like the Wurli, Rhodes and Clavinet - they are more than passable, but not quite as good as current DP's, but certainly usable in a live setting.

The organs was quite a disappointment - while the rotary sim and chorus/vibrato is quite ok, the actual organ sound is just your average rompler sound.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Further, some indication of this would have been useful in the manual.

They're just trying to stay consistent with all hardware keyboard manuals: never put all information in the manual, make the end user find it. :D

I couldn't find it either until I read the post above.

Even my Korg iPolysix has it in the app to turn on or off background audio.

As far as the rest, I concur with others. The Ivory is quite nice, given the iPad's constraints.

For organ, I am still very partial to Galileo.

David

good point ER :D

Now after I tweaked those settings, I am finding it much nicer to play. As I wrote earlier the main AP is average, however I changeed my mind re the EP's and Wurlies. imo they are better than iLectric. Yep thats a turnaround! Plus Korg Module has user sound slots, iLectric does not (nor does iGrand)

I might now spring for the Ivory option as I got a iTunes gift card :)

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback on Module. I was surprised that there has not been more reviews posted here or on the Korg Forums. I.did not find much in the way of discussion on Module at the Korg Forums at all.

I think that I am now convinced that despite the limitations regarding MIDI, that with the Ivory IAP and Galileo, Module would make a nice rehearsal rig or additional sound set for my Sunday night worship band.

Thanks,

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback on Module. I was surprised that there has not been more reviews posted here or on the Korg Forums. I.did not find much in the way of discussion on Module at the Korg Forums at all.

I think that I am now convinced that despite the limitations regarding MIDI, that with the Ivory IAP and Galileo, Module would make a nice rehearsal rig or additional sound set for my Sunday night worship band.

I agree Bill, the set list feature really helps IMO. I think I will try to use it as an additional sound set in my praise band as well. I will still need a halfway decent Hammond type emulation if I want to leave my PC361 home.Can you assign the leslie speed in Galileo to another pedal/switch other than sustain pedal? I see that the Korg module's leslie speed toggle is controlled by the sustain pedal. Is that changeable also? I suspect not (like Garage Band's leslie, man! I wish I could get that one assigned to an alternate pedal)

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I got in the Camera Kit and slim phone plug to RCA cable, so I hooked up the iPad with Korg Module to the USB of the PC3X and to a K10 today. I like the organ patches, and the Leslie spinup to fast speed sounds better than the KB3 emulation. Like the Wurlies (with the free option) and Rhodes, the pianos (I also bought the Ivory pianos today). Brass not so much. I also got the Korg Gadget - need to dig into the PDF manual. Among other things, it has a Set List section that can display chord charts. Animoog, Alchemy, Garage Band, and Waldorf Nave to round things out. BTW, the Korg will continue playing when the app is backgrounded (unless you turn that off).

I've got a Carbon 49 on order, plugs directly into the Lightning connector (or USB or 30-pin connector). Gonna be nice to have a rig for casual gigs, jams, the times when the church choir is doing two numbers at a choirfest - iPad in one coat pocket, cables in other pocket, keyboard in hand, plug into PA or carry a K10.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I got in the Camera Kit and slim phone plug to RCA cable, so I hooked up the iPad with Korg Module to the USB of the PC3X and to a K10 today. I like the organ patches, and the Leslie spinup to fast speed sounds better than the KB3 emulation. Like the Wurlies (with the free option) and Rhodes, the pianos (I also bought the Ivory pianos today). Brass not so much. I also got the Korg Gadget - need to dig into the PDF manual. Among other things, it has a Set List section that can display chord charts. Animoog, Alchemy, Garage Band, and Waldorf Nave to round things out. BTW, the Korg will continue playing when the app is backgrounded (unless you turn that off).

I've got a Carbon 49 on order, plugs directly into the Lightning connector (or USB or 30-pin connector). Gonna be nice to have a rig for casual gigs, jams, the times when the church choir is doing two numbers at a choirfest - iPad in one coat pocket, cables in other pocket, keyboard in hand, plug into PA or carry a K10.

You're gonna want Galileo if you're going to attempt any serious organ work with it. That's all I'm a gonna say!

Difference is night and day imnsho.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

You're gonna want Galileo if you're going to attempt any serious organ work with it. That's all I'm a gonna say!

Difference is night and day imnsho.

I fully concur. While the Korg Module organ is decent, I think Galileo set the bar for iPad organ.

I've been playing the Ivory pianos in the Korg Module from my FA-08 and they play and sound great (given the obvious limitation of the iPad compared to Ivory on my MacBook)

David

I am really interested to know what you think about the Carbon. I am looking at a Carbon 61 I can leave at the rehearsal space.to use with my iPad. I know the Graphite has the better action, but I wonder if the Carbon is playable?

Bill

Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought Galileo and it is installing now. The Carbon should be arriving about Thursday, I will post my reactions to it after I use it a few times. BTW, there is a Yahoo Group for iPad Music Makers.

:boing: At least the GAS for apps is cheaper per unit than GAS for hardware.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Now after I tweaked those settings, I am finding it much nicer to play.

Have you been able to improve the latency? If so, it would be great if you could repeat the latency soundcloud demo you posted before, with your new settings!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I downloaded yesterday and bought the Ivory expansion pack. First impressions are very good, especially Ivory. Did not expect it to sound so good on the iPad. Did notice that when I used my M-audio UNO usb to midi device that I was haven notes stick and not sound when connected to my Yamaha P70, but it worked fine with my Nord Electro 2. I still can not understand why there is no option to select midi channels for output. I do not see how I could switch between Galileo and Module in a song without cranking down the volume of Module and then bringing in Galileo. Any good workarounds ?

Archived