Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Just playing the CP4 through it this afternoon, the amp sounds the best with sounds that have tremolo, vibrato, chorus or other swirling type effects associated with it. As opposed to just straight acoustic piano.

comparing me to you, Dave, playing piano, is like comparing a Ferrari to a Volkswagen, and yes you are the Ferrari. :laugh: That being said, I agree with this conclusion.

However I still love my CP4 through the SS3 overall. :cool:

:nopity:

I have tried tweeking the SK1 internal rotary sim for hours, days, weeks. Didn't like it when I first got my SK1 5 years ago, and still don't.

My main complaint is with its fast speed (too fast, with no option/way to slow it down enough for my taste. I was involved in a long thread here years ago re: my disappointment.

Tried the SK1 rotary sim played through two amps (one per channel) and also through the SSv.2 and SSv.3. I didn't like it played through any of those amp set-ups (although the sound out of the SS's was improved).

I tried the Vent and Lex sim pedals, and finally settled on the Lex. Played through the SSv.3, it sounds great--again, to my ears.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

One thing that is impressive about this amp is that in my studio I have two regular PA speakers playing mp3s that I practice with in the traditional stereo V configuration with my head being right in the 'sweet spot.' I have the SpaceStation about 8 behind me off center towards the right. Whatever patch I play on my keyboard through the SS sounds like it is between the two PA speakers- right in that 'sweet spot!'

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I did too ... Just arrived today. Didn't get spend a lot of time with it yet, but first impressions are good. Just played the MOXF6 through it today. Will try the Kronos into it tomorrow. I'm running the left and right output of my Alesis MultiMix8 into the SS. No sub, about 5' away, tilted up a bit. Keys sound even better as I add mod wheel effects to them. Ran demo songs so I could walk around the room. It really fills out the room (and even the next rooms too) with a spacious sound. So far I'm hearing plenty of bass and thinking this might work without one. I was ready to pull the trigger on a B1200 but decided to wait and try it alone first. Last weekend I read all 69 pages (on my iPad) of this thread and think I ordered it after 65 or so. Got a duo gig next weekend. May try it live then!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

But Dave, you use not only near top of the line speaker/amps. but also that expensive pre. You mentioned less clarity, and right away I am wondering how the absence of that pre, plays into this loss of clarity?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

But Dave, you use not only near top of the line speaker/amps. but also that expensive pre. You mentioned less clarity, and right away I am wondering how the absence of that pre, plays into this loss of clarity?

+1 Yes , lets not forget about that preamp not being in front of the SS.

Brett

+1 Yes , lets not forget about that preamp not being in front of the SS.

Brett

Got me thinking - need to try my Speakeasy tube preamp with this baby! Fortunately it is the stereo version...

Had a not so good SS3 gig last night at a blues jam I do pretty often. Had the SS3 about 5' behind me and a little off to the side- perfect positioning. The sound guy kept telling me to turn down but I couldn't hear what I was doing on stage. It's the directional (guitar) amps vs the more non directional SS3 dilemma once again. I finally went out to the van and brought my K10 in. I'll probably use the K10 at this jam from now on, I can aim it right at me and it shuts the sound guy up.

While I love the SS3, it is becoming increasingly limited for what types of gigs it works well on for me. The blues band I play with- it's awesome because I'm not in the PA and I can crank it up and no one cares. My party/dance band, it works well when I'm not running my in ears. It's good for rehearsal with my Floyd tribute.

I'm almost, (and that's a big almost) ready to call the experiment a mixed success and sell the SS3 and pick up another K10 to run in stereo.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I wouldn't be so quick to sell the SSv3, but that's your call. A pair of self-powered PAs work well for certain gigs, not so well for others. In general, my smaller more intimate gigs always go better with the SSv3, and the over-the-top stage gigs go better with self-powered PAs. Different tools for different jobs.

I've used the SSv3 to try and keep up with loud guitarists and such, and had exactly your experience -- it doesn't sound all that loud to me, but I'm thoroughly deafening everyone else. It gets better with practice, though. I also position the 8" front speaker to point at my head, which helps somewhat.

Sound guys and SSv3s generally do not get along.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I can relate to that a bit but still prefer the SS to the K10, and I'd lean towards a SS K10 combo before a pair of K10's. That said, I've been meaning to try the SS with a small amp like the ILoud blasting right in my face (perhaps actually sitting on a keyboard like built ins). Anyone try something like that out? Other option is to have a set of earbuds handy and use the SS with hybrid in ear headphones if needed in a pinch. My rolls mixer already in use has a headphone out so would be pretty easy/quick to set up in a situation like you encountered DanL

I'll be trying the SS at a gig tonight for the first time and being told to turn down and then not hear myself is a concern. I have a Behringer B205D mini monitor that sits on a mic stand that I can position firing at my ear, so I'll bring it along, just in case. The chain would be keyboards into SS, SS into Mini monitor,Mini monitor into FOH (if needed). The Behringer monitor has an XLR out that sends a nice signal to FOH.

I've mostly used the SS for rehearsals, except for a couple of gigs. When playing left-hand bass with a trio at a small venue, I played the acoustic bass patch on my CP4, and it sounded fine. Last night, while rehearsing, I switched to a fuller/louder synth bass patch, and I thought I detected some distortion. (I am also playing a Hammond xk1c through the SS). The overall volume was not that loud.

Has anyone else noticed any distortion when playing heavy bass notes, alone or in combination with another keyboard? Certainly, I know that many here have discussed whether a sub is needed, but my impression is that was just a matter of taste, not because of any perceived distortion.

My working theory is that I just need to do some tweaking on the keyboard and/or mixer, but thought I'd ask.

No, I don't have a stand to do that.

As far as earbuds go- I have a great set of IEM's, but they seal out everything. I'd need a monitor mix and at the blues jam that's not gonna happen.

I'll keep using it where it works for me, where it doesn't I'll use the K10. I mostly use the IEM's anyway, the SS3 was a luxury purchase for me. I know I've been a strong supporter of the unit, and I still am, I'm just finding it's not a one size fits all solution, which I don't like. My single K10 worked in every venue without question. Plus, with the SS3, I still have to haul the K10 as a vocal monitor, where I used to run my vocals thru the K10 along with my keys.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I've posted about this before, but I find the unpredictable stage volume and sound to be the box's greatest weakness. The very thing that provides the "throw" also means that, depending on positioning, the sound you hear is not the sound that others hear. (And yes, Cedar, people have noticed distortion on thicker patches.) I know some people haven't come across this volume issue, but I consider stage-volume management to be an essential part of the package as a professional, and when the control over it is taken out of my hands, even slightly, I'm not happy.

I always feel the need to caveat this with the encouragement that it's the one downside to a box that otherwise love and have used proudly for many, many gigs since I've bought it. Most of what's great about the box is unconditionally great. But this aspect is a struggle sometimes.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Cedar -

MOI is correct on all counts. The great asset (long throw all over the room) provides a loss of control (how can I determine exactly HOW LOUD is it throwing me all over the room?)

The SS also doesn't project crisp treble in the same way powered PA speakers do. Yes, the SS is warmer, but for instance Kronos bell patches cut much differently through my two DXR8s than through the SS, no matter how far I turn the treble knob up.

The thick patch thing, I addressed that with my current config - SS sitting on a bass combo amp. I do every gig now with that combo - from solo jazz piano to loud electric funk.

The distortion thing is gone, but I still feel like I'm slowly "figuring out" how to best use this rig.

G

Another shot from last night at the Century Plaza , with the SS in the background , maybe 6 feet away, propped slightly up with the sound guy's di.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/10931134_10153321776793346_8618289837118583926_o.jpg

I don't think I could have even posed with a more odd expression on my face if I had tried. :laugh:

Dave, next time when the side speakers arent firing at any nearby side walls (I'm referring to the photo you provided) try positioning the SS so you hear some of the side speaker which will then provide better dimension to the sound. This especially important when it's close to the player. Seems to me if you can see some (and it doesn't have to be much) of the side speaker cavity from the playing position you'll hear enough of the side speaker. Otherwise when close and directly in front of the front speaker with no nearby walls it sounds mostly like a mono speaker to me, which of course isn't very satisfying. Hope this helps.

I think that we all forget that there is no perfect amp/speaker for everyone. That is why you see hundreds of speaker manufacturers at NAMM. Someone must be buying their products, and I assume they are happy until something goes wrong, or a new product hits the shelves that everyone must have.

Kudos to Aspen for developing something totally different which, judging from the response on this thread, satisfies most of the people who purchased it.

Innovation is inspired by innovation. I wonder what will be next?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I had a gig this evening where I might have used something other than the SSv3. It was a small place, and they had the band set up in essentially a shoebox: three walls, low ceiling and one side open to the audience.

Boy, was it loud in there with a seven piece band. Sound bouncing hard from every surface making the stage sound similar to thick mud. The SSv3 held up volume-wise, but I probably would have been happier with a more directional sound to cut through the muck.

That being said, I had someone sit in on keys for one number, and sat out in the audience. What I was hearing onstage wasn't at all what it sounded like out in the crowd: much richer and fuller, and distinct as well.

Just takes some getting used to, I guess.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'll be trying the SS at a gig tonight for the first time and being told to turn down and then not hear myself is a concern. I have a Behringer B205D mini monitor that sits on a mic stand that I can position firing at my ear, so I'll bring it along, just in case. The chain would be keyboards into SS, SS into Mini monitor,Mini monitor into FOH (if needed). The Behringer monitor has an XLR out that sends a nice signal to FOH.

I ended up doing this exact configuration last night at a gig with my very loud Stones band in a small to medium sized club in order to have all bases covered. I had the SS about 5' away from me tilted against the wall at an angle so both the front and a side speaker were facing me. When I first tried it out before our sound check with my custom made VR-09 organ patches..the band leader/guitarist said to the rest of the band, "did you hear this thing? It sounds like a real Leslie!" They were as equally impressed with the piano, ep, horn and vibraphone tones from my PX-5s. I had Width and mids set at about 1PM, highs bit less. I needed no further adjustments during the gig. After the gig, our sound guy said he had to totally remove me from FOH monitors as the SS was cutting through so loudly on its own. I was even asked to turn it down a bit after the crowd thinned down after midnight. I ended up turning off the volume completely on my mini monitor as I did not need it to hear myself either. Being able to hear myself caused me to play pretty well. I had previously abandoned my sustain pedal for piano with this band as I could never hear its effect. Glad I brought it last night as I could actually hear it and it now was essential for piano parts! Each band member, including the sound guy, told me after the gig how good my patches sounded and that they had never heard them that clearly before. I did not even need the foam core baffle I brought 'just in case' either. An overall win-win situation!

you guys bring a separate monitor for yourself when you use your SS3 as a stage amp? and a foam core baffle to control its output. and a subwoofer. and a mixer. huh.

I hope all the amazing positive feedback inspires Aspen to expand his line with a SSvBigBro - throw in a 10" or 12" front main, double or triple the power amps, not sure if the bidirectional side speaker needs up-size. when that happens, I'm jumping back in.

until then, I'm thrilled with the success he is seeing so far (just a neat guy imo) and happy v3 is hitting the sweet spot for so many of you. rock on!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Get a comfortable stage mix, find out I'm so loud out front the sound man has to pull me out of the mix just to manage me, get asked to turn down later? That would be a nightmare scenario for me. I'd never get hired for that job again. While I am glad it fit the bill for you on that gig, I might have posted the exact same report as a scathing review of the box, had it happened to me.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com