Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

power cable and 1 multi pin connector to go between the amp and cab.

Yes, a custom multi-pin cable would take care of it. It essentially limits you to a fixed maximum distance, but then, so does the current arrangement (a fixed distance of zero).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can anyone explain "servo-balanced?" Not being a technician, the info I've read isn't dumbed down enough!

Without getting into all the technical details, the result is that you don't get a lower output when connected unbalanced vs balanced like you normally would. Normally, connecting unbalanced you just get half the voltage. Servo balanced maintains constant voltage no matter how it's connected.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Can anyone explain "servo-balanced?" Not being a technician, the info I've read isn't dumbed down enough!

Without getting into all the technical details, the result is that you don't get a lower output when connected unbalanced vs balanced like you normally would. Normally, connecting unbalanced you just get half the voltage. Servo balanced maintains constant voltage no matter how it's connected.

Thanks, Dan. Taking a manufacturer's quote on the topic from another forum, -- "Servo-balanced outputs provide automatic output level adjustment to accommodate either balanced or unbalanced feeds" I'm supposing what Aspen and others are experiencing with the drop in level in the chain of keyboard>B1200D>SSV.3 is the result of the sub's servo-balanced output, and without ground problems, why my FOH had no problem with the output from the sub to the board.

Here for the gear.

This question is for Aspen and/or any ssv3 users that would know. Concerning the rhodes/ep auto-pan stereo vibrato effect, (through the ss), it's not possible to hear the actual "ping-ponging" or auto panning, like with 2 separate speakers or in an actual (rhodes) suitcase bottom cabinet, correct?

No, you don't hear the ping pong effect, but the sound is very spacious with any kind of stereo effect turned on.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

No, you don't hear the ping pong effect, but the sound is very spacious with any kind of stereo effect turned on.

So, what does the "ping-pong-tremolo" sound like when playing Fender Rhodes suitcase type patches thru the SSv3?

I find it to be important for authenticity of such patches.

A.C.

So, what does the "ping-pong-tremolo" sound like when playing Fender Rhodes suitcase type patches thru the SSv3?

A.C.

The Rhodes ping-pong was a top priority. If you put the SS right behind you, you will get that sound; still not as good as two speakers. If you put SS to one side you won't hear it as well.

I was a little disappointed at first but knowing "everyone," will hear the effect to some degree was more encouraging. That sound only really works on recordings

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

It just sounds wider to me. I use an auto pan on a clav sound, same way when I hit the effect on, the sound just jumps out from all around you.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I have a Kronos and the Rhodes sounds are really really nice through the SSv3'. Are there some keyboards that are known for their Rhodes sounds? I'd be blown away if they were even better than what I'm hearing! I can dial in and out some auto pan or chorus and it is so 3D! Just kinda curious.....

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Are there some keyboards that are known for their Rhodes sounds?

Depending what your idea of the ideal sim of a Rhodes is:

Nord Electro series

Nord Stage series

Yamaha CP4

Yamaha Motif series

Korg SV1

Scarbee library (I know, not hardware)

Logic's EVP88

...are all sources that come to mind that some KB players use for their "go to" Rhodes sim. It's personal preference whether you prefer a Mk 1, 2 or 5 as your personal benchmark, how much bell you want, how much bark you want, how beat up and funky you want it, etc.

A source of endless debate worthy of its own thread.

Does each Nord keyboard have its own associated library like the "Electro" or do they have a centralized library that all their keyboards can receive downloads from?I never have figured out the differences between the various models or the need for such a variety, but I see that a lot of guys here use them.

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Does each Nord keyboard have its own associated library like the "Electro" or do they have a centralized library that all their keyboards can receive downloads from?I never have figured out the differences between the various models or the need for such a variety, but I see that a lot of guys here use them.

Nord has a sample library that works with many of its keyboards. You can find it at Nord's website.

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries

There's also a really good Nord forum:

http://www.norduserforum.com/portal.php

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

+1 to the Nord Sample Library. I've owned several Nords over the years, I now have a Stage 2 73 and still use their MK V and Sparkletop samples at gigs. I would however like to see Nord offer some updated new Fender Rhodes samples.

I've tried a lot of the 3rd party Rhodes libraries, a few in my Motif. I like the Precision Sound Dusty Mark II which I converted to Motif and Kronos formats. I was mixed on the Chick Corea and Neo Soul Motif Rhodes banks though.

But I'd say my favorite Rhodes libraries these days would be the Kronos X loaded with up with the Purgatory Creek MK1, MK II and MK 5 Rhodes.

They sound great through the SS, especially with phaser, chorus, auto pan...

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

A.C.

coincidentally, my CPS SS3 shipped after waiting for several weeks the same time I purchased my Yamaha CP4. They arrived on the same day. First thing I did was place the CP4 on a Quick Lok WS-550 raised fairly high and placed the SS3 directly underneath. Pulled up a Rhodes patch, "73 Tremolo" IIRC. Believe me when I say I got a big smile on my face. :2thu:

:nopity:

First thing I did was place the CP4 on a Quick Lok WS-550 raised fairly high and placed the SS3 directly underneath. Pulled up a Rhodes patch, "73 Tremolo" IIRC. Believe me when I say I got a big smile on my face. :2thu:

:):cool::thu:

thank you !

A.C.

Random report: Tonight I felt like living on the edge and did an organ trio gig with just the Mojo, Vent and SS -- no sub, no PA. Venue was a small club (<100 people full, and it was nowhere near full). Stuck the SS in a corner about 5 feet behind me, and it sounded great. Never once did I wish for a sub. If I'd needed more volume I may have missed a sub, but at the levels we were playing, it had all the low end I could want. (And yes, I was walking left-hand bass all night.)

Random report: Tonight I felt like living on the edge and did an organ trio gig with just the Mojo, Vent and SS -- no sub, no PA. Venue was a small club (<100 people full, and it was nowhere near full). Stuck the SS in a corner about 5 feet behind me, and it sounded great. Never once did I wish for a sub. If I'd needed more volume I may have missed a sub, but at the levels we were playing, it had all the low end I could want. (And yes, I was walking left-hand bass all night.)

Liar! The SS3 blows up the minute you play a low note! :)

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Liar! The SS3 blows up the minute you play a low note! :)

And farts like a cowboy by a campfire!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

How 'bout some more beans Mr Taggert?

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I think you boys have had enough!!!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had Aspen demo the ss3 at gearfest today. I actually didn't come to buy the ss3 but after I heard it I had to take one home. It was interesting to hear starting with the mono and then turning the width(?) up to hear the stereo effect. Sounded great even in a gearfest tent environment. It did help to have Austin walk through through the device. Nice size for lots of applications. Good deal today at gearfest too. Thanks Aspen!

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

I think you boys have had enough!!!

Never !

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Not so much below 100Hz in the past ...

Live at TV or recording.

Maybe some rice is missing today.

:)

A.C.