Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How the wife/spouse doing?

Ybyb

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Craig

Apart from all the above I should mention Carole also bought me a Gibson Les Paul for Xmas, I think that trumps yout furniture tolerance!

I don't know about that.. I'm thinking maybe a tie... (there's a few things I couldn't mention here)?

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Sorry Craig

Apart from all the above I should mention Carole also bought me a Gibson Les Paul for Xmas, I think that trumps yout furniture tolerance!

I don't know about that.. I'm thinking maybe a tie... (there's a few things I couldn't mention here)?

A Tie?

http://rlv.zcache.com/les_paul_tie-r9e315330fb0e4a4b88f0e4bb260dc98d_v9whb_8byvr_512.jpg

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Sorry Craig

Oooh errr missus! ;)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

C'mon guys, let's not get into a "my wife is better than your wife" fight. It will only end in tears.

Anyway, Keyboard Girl would win, and the rest of you would be crying in your beer. :):):cool:

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

My SWMBO loves all the same music as me, lets me spend whatever I need, comes to all the gigs and videos them all..........in

Loves the same music as you? Lucky man. Just watch my wife's face if I was to put on 'Lilywhite Lilith' or some such. I will never forget that on one of our first dates, we were both studying for exams and I paused just long enough to handwrite out the lyrics to 'The Lamia'. I have no idea why I did it; her questioning look told me that it probably was not ideal date activity...

[

A Tie?

http://rlv.zcache.com/les_paul_tie-r9e315330fb0e4a4b88f0e4bb260dc98d_v9whb_8byvr_512.jpg

I wore a piano tie to an event where I first spent time with my wife (before we were dating). She will never let me live it down.

Music did play a big part in our getting together, though. She likes to sing and one excuse to get her to come over to my place was having learned to accompany her on songs she was into at the time.

My wife is very supportive of my musical obsession. The most she will do is nod incredulously when I bring home a new keyboard but she will never give me an ounce (or in Canada, a milliliter?) of grief. She has never complained about me running out to play in bands solely for fun (no income potential) even though I'm sure she would much rather I be home.

I think I'm in the running for best wife on KC too.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

My SWMBO loves all the same music as me, lets me spend whatever I need, comes to all the gigs and videos them all..........in

Loves the same music as you? Lucky man. Just watch my wife's face if I was to put on 'Lilywhite Lilith' or some such. I will never forget that on one of our first dates, we were both studying for exams and I paused just long enough to handwrite out the lyrics to 'The Lamia'. I have no idea why I did it; her questioning look told me that it probably was not ideal date activity...

[

A Tie?

I wore a piano tie to an event where I first spent time with my wife (before we were dating). She will never let me live it down.

Music did play a big part in our getting together, though. She likes to sing and one excuse to get her to come over to my place was having learned to accompany her on songs she was into at the time.

My wife is very supportive of my musical obsession. The most she will do is nod incredulously when I bring home a new keyboard but she will never give me an ounce (or in Canada, a milliliter?) of grief. She has never complained about me running out to play in bands solely for fun (no income potential) even though I'm sure she would much rather I be home.

I think I'm in the running for best wife on KC too.

I taught Carole how to play Stairway to Heaven on her guitar, not long after we met - rock and roll!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

My wife Wini has been fully supportive of my music and other interests. We have been married for over 20 years (not first marriage for either). We both had been living as head of household for some time before meeting, and still have separate financials (I pay for some recurring items, she pays for others, and we collaborate on special things). I did wind up buying all the keyboards, she also plays piano (no interest in the other patches on the PC2X) but she did buy herself a very nice Taylor 412CE guitar.

We are supportive of each other's interests and some shared interests (we met each other learning ballroom dancing). We each have a convertible and another vehicle. I've earned my living in electronics, including certified Instructor for Novell and Microsoft - she was also certified, although her primary profession was RN - now she is teaching English at the local college). On computers, I'm the hardware guru, she handles the programming. In personal matters, we have similar views on religion and political issues.

She has been a great blessing in my life.

We dressed up in costumes for some dance shows, but never as spacemen and pimps.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I can confess to Argentine tango dressing up..........

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Facebook/Profile%20Pictures/484485_3429520345455_1624504561_n.jpg

We've got one nifty men's musical tent going on here, can't remember reading a post from a lady anywhere around..

Dave Frank

I was going to say, old boys' club going on here apparently. But you must have anticipated that, you started by writing "wife" in your thread title...

C'mon guys, let's not get into a "my wife is better than your wife" fight. It will only end in tears.

Anyway, Keyboard Girl would win, and the rest of you would be crying in your beer. :):):cool:

SSM

My wife could beat up your wife :D.

Brett

SSM,

Not sure exactly what I did to help your wife (I know we did have some emails back and forth discussing a few things...) but glad I could help!! If I recall correctly, I wasn't sure for a while whether I was talking to you or your wife!!

I've been divorced, since 1997, from a woman who couldn't carry a tune to save her life, and while she tolerated my musical interest, her only interest in music was IF it could result in $$ (and clearly that's mostly impossible). After we separated I met a young lady who LOVES music, and who is very musical herself (just one of those people who knows the melody and lyrics of almost any song).. and we've been together ever since!

She and I have been living together for the last 7 years or so, and she absolutely loves my music, she loves to come see my band play, and she's my biggest fan. We finally got married this summer and we danced to a song I had written for her, and this relationship is like night and day compared to my first marriage (and not just in her appreciation for music).

She's also got a great ear for the band mix and is very careful to ensure that her husband, the keyboard player, is up properly in the mix, and at the same time she hears every one of my clams (which happen often)..

Both my life and my music has been completely reinvigorated as a result of this fantastic woman, and I am very thankful to have her in my life!!

BTW, if you want to know how great my new wife is, a couple years ago I decided to transplant a an A100 into a nice BV cabinet, and since my basement is a real pain to get hammonds in and out of, I decided that the dining room might be a convenient place to do it. So I disassembled all the dining room furniture and moved it out, and moved in organs and cabinets and soldering irons tools and sandpaper and stain etc. and the dining room was a disaster for about 6 months. During that time I would often ask her if she was OK with all of this, and I got basically the same answer every time.. "baby you know I love your big organs"..

So who's got the best wife on this thread!!! I vote for mine.

Craig , I Love this , this is awesome - a Great Wife :D.

Brett

SSM

My wife could beat up your wife :D.

Brett

Don't count on it, I taught mine to fight dirty. :)

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Women are dreamkillers.

Women are dream makers. Mine is the best part of me. :)

There's the proof. YMMV.

I wondered about that myself so I internet stalked her twenty something years later. Still married to the next guy with two kids.

When we met I was a full time musician. When it went south I was a double time computer geeks. I didn't need any outside help killing my dreams.

--wmp

For those who know me, you know how wonderful my wife is. Imagine all my large, heavy vintage equipment in a 1500 sq ft home. She drew the line when I had four B3's and eight Leslies, but now things are much more manageable.

Regarding playing, she rarely came to see me perform. I believe she cherished every minute I was out of the house.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Although my lady is quite wonderful, and in most respects, we are sympatico, music has mostly been a struggle.

Before we moved in together, four years ago, I told her that most evenings I spend practicing and programming and writing. She said that was no problem and that she, too, needs time alone.

Once she actually moved in, however, things changed. She told me that I was obsessed, and that it was unhealthy, and why don't I want to spend any time with her? Obviously, I challenged her with her statements (she made prior to cohabitating) that it was ok....and of course that doesn't work.

I could bore you to death with the details of this drama, but suffice to say, we are constantly fighting over the issue of my time practicing. The rest of the relationship is good, so I can't break it up for just that, but on the other hand, music is part of who I am and so its heartbreaking for the one I love to not "get" that something so central to my identity is something I need to do.

I've tried "talking to her" about this ad nauseum...I've been nice, I've been not nice, I've been subtle, I've been direct, you name it I've tried it.

It's such an epic bummer.

Although my lady is quite wonderful, and in most respects, we are sympatico, music has mostly been a struggle.

Before we moved in together, four years ago, I told her that most evenings I spend practicing and programming and writing. She said that was no problem and that she, too, needs time alone.

Once she actually moved in, however, things changed. She told me that I was obsessed, and that it was unhealthy, and why don't I want to spend any time with her? Obviously, I challenged her with her statements (she made prior to cohabitating) that it was ok....and of course that doesn't work.

I could bore you to death with the details of this drama, but suffice to say, we are constantly fighting over the issue of my time practicing. The rest of the relationship is good, so I can't break it up for just that, but on the other hand, music is part of who I am and so its heartbreaking for the one I love to not "get" that something so central to my identity is something I need to do.

I've tried "talking to her" about this ad nauseum...I've been nice, I've been not nice, I've been subtle, I've been direct, you name it I've tried it.

It's such an epic bummer.

I'm convinced women audition for marriage. They give you the ideal picture of what you think you want in a woman.

As soon as the ring is on, it turns on a dime. Particularly after you have kids. My wife gave the illusion of being my fan until we got married. Then I started getting sermons about work/life balance. Slowly I started cutting my creative endeavors to satisfy her. But it wasn't ever enough. We've been having the same argument about my music and career goals for over 7 years now.

It sucks committing to someone who eventually becomes the enemy of your art. I wouldn't be so jaded about marriage if the whole thing didn't end of the complete opposite of what I hoped it would be.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

My wife gave the illusion of being my fan until we got married. Then I started getting sermons about work/life balance. Slowly I started cutting my creative endeavors to satisfy her. But it wasn't ever enough.

That is truly unfortunate. All artists need some sort of outlet... that isn't stifled or crushed by their spouse. :(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Although Im not currently playing live at the moment, I did do this for a lot of years when I was a little younger and not involved in a serious relationship. Just like someone who is a serious hobbyist or professional in any other discipline, music plays a central role in my life and is an essential part of who I am as an individual, like breathing. Although a lot of times, the necessities of life do take the forefront.

In my case - my partner understands my love of music, and has become a lot more supportive of my goals and ambitions. But, she has mentioned in the past that she thought I was spending a little too much time practicing etc. and I feel that there will always be a question of work/life balance in any interest a person pursues.

When it comes to music though; I feel there is a big hurdle for some people to overcome in recognizing it as a legitimate serious hobby, and it might be even more difficult for a partner to understand, especially if there is a substantial financial investment involved. That is, unless there is the potential for a good financial return This would legitimatize things and help to view it as a source of revenue. So, if youre playing/working steadily in the field, or as a weekend warrior - all time considerations aside - your good to go.

I dont know why people should treat music differently from any other pursuit or profession involving considerable skill development but thats the way I see it. It is hard work, and not just a leisure activity for some, depending on what your particular goals are, and practicing is necessary to maintain a certain level of performance.

As soon as the ring is on, it turns on a dime. Particularly after you have kids.

I think it's only to be expected that things change after kids come along. There are a trillion time consuming responsibilities that come with kids and if one half of the partnership continues on with their life as if nothing has changed, the other is forced to bear all of the new responsibilities. That's fine if it works for both parties, but it's an unwelcome surprise if never discussed before the fact.

I very rarely get to practice anymore - maybe a half hour late night a couple of times a week - not a life-changing thing for me as music is a hobby and not my livelihood. There's no blame to be assigned - that's just life.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I thought it might be interesting to discuss amongst ourselves how our significant others deal with our music obsession. I am very lucky, my wife lets me have at it all the time. One of my students' wives gave him 20 min WITH a timer daily to practice before resuming family duties..I picked out my apt in NYC because it has a long hallway between the main run and the bedroom, helps alot. I have given her quiet headphones to use at times, that was somewhat effective:)

Any good stories out there?

Dave Frank

I can pursue my music, recording drums in the house, stay out all night taking photos, all that, and never a problem. Ditto the expenditures, an issue with many, but that comes out of my own pocket, and I'm fairly frugal with expenditures anyway. I have what I need, and that's pretty much it. But she did encourage me to get this guitar that I fell in love with about ten years ago, and I'm really glad she did...it's my favorite guitar. It's all quite good.

If you remember that thread from a while back about Farfisas...well, she was very interested in getting one, although we ultimately decided not to due to severe space constraints. But this whole thing came about because she was listening to Floyd and said, "That'd be great to have that keyboard."

I'm convinced women audition for marriage. They give you the ideal picture of what you think you want in a woman.

As soon as the ring is on, it turns on a dime. Particularly after you have kids. My wife gave the illusion of being my fan until we got married. Then I started getting sermons about work/life balance. Slowly I started cutting my creative endeavors to satisfy her. But it wasn't ever enough. We've been having the same argument about my music and career goals for over 7 years now.

It sucks committing to someone who eventually becomes the enemy of your art. I wouldn't be so jaded about marriage if the whole thing didn't end of the complete opposite of what I hoped it would be.

What's funny and sad is that most (but admittedly, not all) of the evidence in this thread contradicts what you say here. I'm very sorry to hear that you and others such as Franz are having problems in this regard and I hope you can work it out somehow.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What's funny and sad is that most (but admittedly, not all) of the evidence in this thread contradicts what you say here. I'm very sorry to hear that you and others such as Franz are having problems in this regard and I hope you can work it out somehow.

Forum aside, in the real world 50% of marriages in the US end in divorce. It's my contention that, in this day and age, marriage is an archaic and outdated concept. And there is no benefit whatsoever for a man to get married. The laws of this country are blatantly skewed in the woman's favor if things go south.

But I'm not going to go on that rant.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Archived