Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How the wife/spouse doing?

Ybyb

.....She wasn't too happy at first, but she came around once she heard it, and compared it to the Sk2 pianos etc, as well as the 80's synth stuff she loves.

your wife hears a difference??? :o

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marriage occurred after gigging days - I was with Ensoniq when we met. We're good strategic planners when we make the time to do it. When things didn't go so well (and there were a few), it was usually due to a lack of communication and a lack of strategic planning.

She's not a music enthusiast - could care less about my playing. Although she did admit to liking Vince Guaraldi's Linus and Lucy song during Christmas.

Recently, one bedroom was converted into my music studio and she is fine with it. Purchases (keyboards, speakers, mixer, stand, etc.) were justified and rationalized by using Amex Rewards points to minimize cash outlay.

Steve Coscia

I thought it might be interesting to discuss amongst ourselves how our significant others deal with our music obsession.

Mrs. ITGITC? doesn't play. Not even the radio, much. :)

But my daughters do. One majored in music performance and is teaching now.

And it's always been a big part of who I am. So she's fine with our music obsession (and all that goes with it).

It's not much of a story. But after being together for 35 years, and lots of gigs, rehearsals, parties, and concerts, it's all good.

Music is a gift that we're fortunate to be able to share.

She's cool with that. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

first wife supported my music and supplied me with the worst ten years of my life. Second wife loves me as I am (including music) and that makes all the difference in the world. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

Met my wife of 18 years thru friends who knew we both liked music and golf. She has perfect pitch and plays keyboards and guitar....but she could care less about gigging. Since she likes to come to my gigs, both solo and with my 4 piece band, I made her my "road manager" meaning she helps me load in/out, with sound checks, tip jar, and whatever else I need done including being the designated driver. She is a cutie with a great personality and knows how to work the room. I am a lucky man.

My wife was the bass player in my old band. She was my wife before that. We figured out that bass would be cool for her because she always liked bass and because she was in marching band in high school and college so she had good time. She's a really good bass player, though she hasn't played in a while, unfortunately.

When we first started seeing each other, I wrote a couple of songs for her. I think that earned me some points. :)

Most of you have seen my gear. You know how supportive she is. She's cool with it all as long as we have the money for it or whatever. There's no nagging nor restrictions outside of reality. There are times I'm at the piano (which is in the room next to the bedroom) and she says it's okay if I keep playing. I don't usually, though.

She has the steady gig with the good income, the health insurance, etc. I... don't. She's fine with that as long as I'm happy. I can't beat that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah Joe, you can't beat your wife)
You've met her?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My girlfriends and wife (of 25+years) have been eliminators and thwarters of many grand ideas and wishes over the years.

But VERY supportive of my music.

My wife comes along to all my gigs at every opportunity , and is an excellent critic and "sounding board" for me , to tell me how good (or crap) the band is sounding (or part of ) out in the audience. She's always dancing near the front of the stage :).

BUT , she will sometimes bitch about the amount of time I use up practicing and programming the keyboard.

Not always a perfect world :).

She has a brilliant ear (she's a muso too )for hearing wrong notes or chords I might play , and yell out from the other room "riding instructions" :D.

(I'd rather be riding than playing come to think of it ;-) )

Brett

My wife and I met when I was a music student, and she endured three years of me "off playing". When I returned to study we married: I had the deposit on a house, so she thought well of the game. She came to a lot of gigs, even drove some of the gear quite often. At work I played a lot during the day and wrote a lot at night, so it was not until our children were teenagers that I came under fire for playing at home.

I switched to a Yamaha S70 synth -- with head phones if the kids were home -- and settled into early morning and late evening routines: not ideal, but still pretty good.

I have a lot of gear, some in every cupboard in the house, plus a large room with Yamaha C3, console organ, Roland RD700NX, Nord C2, and more. I am building a music studio and soon all this will be moved, but then (as I have pointed out to herself) that will leave the large room empty. Still, I do want the studio.

All in all, I've never heard a bitter word about my music, and just as well, for we've done nicely out of it.

Luckiest man alive here!!! Total support and encouragement. Never a complaint about new gear or time spent on music. I just always talk about any major purchases (we both do) out of mutual respect, but I've never heard no. I am the one who holds off buying new gear, and then it usually shows up as a present.

My wife totally supports and often encourages almost everything I do music wise. She's been the recipient of some pretty cool audio toys because of my hobby. I am pretty sure however based on the increasing frequency of door slams that she (and my daughter) can do without the strange noises that often emanate from the basement; sometimes when my equipment is turned on. :o The only thing she does not tolerate well is when she catches me on this forum wasting endless...

shit....

gotta go.

My wife is great as far as my music (and sports) activities are concerned. She doesn't give me grief about the time and/or the money I invest in it. There are two or three social events each year that she really wants me to attend - which I have on my calendar months in advance and keep open. The rest of the time, I'm free to go play. She's got a tight circle of girlfriends that she spends her time with ... so she's fine with me playing. I'm fortunate in this regard - especially since in addition to two gigging bands - I also play in three adult leagues that have a total of 4 games on the schedule each week. The only time she ever really gotten on my case is the rare occasions that I've come down with a case of stupid and drink more than I should have and drove home.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

We've been together for going on 20 years, married for going on 15.

She supports my music....to a point.

She understands that I have to gig, and says that she will never get in the way, but she doesn't like it when I'm at a gig. She's afraid that for some reason, I won't come home.

I constantly tell her that there is no reason to worry. I've been with her for a long time, and have never once strayed. I know I have the best, so why would I screw that up?

She's known I'm a musician from day 1.

I was playing a gig in Ocean Shores, WA, and she was the "Bouncer". She came up and asked if we could turn down so someone could make an emergency call. The guitar player turned up.

The rest of the night was spent talking with her every break.

The next night, I basically ignored her, talking with friends. She came up to me and told me I was a rude Son-of-a-Bitch, and we've been together ever since.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Married 26 years, happily! My wife supports my music, up to a reasonable point. We discuss and agree on purchases other than petty cash.

She does get a little gripey if I play too much. At one point I was in two bands and playing twice a week. She supported me in joining both bands, but twice a week was more than our schedule really could handle, and fortunately one band dissolved before it became an issue. Anyway, playing once a week plus up to two gigs a month is all I want to play, so it works out.

The closest we came to an issue was a few years back when I started practicing with a couple I'd met at an open mic thing. For the only time in our relationship, my wife got jealous. She apologized for it, said she knew it wasn't rational, but please don't continue with this. It was early on, before anything serious had developed musically, and it was the only time she'd played that card, so no problem. I told her that the two even got engaged; she says yeah, but you're a better catch, and she's cute! Ah, well, I'm glad SHE thinks I'm the better catch! (Ten years later, they're still married. I don't think there was any real threat.)

We've got one nifty men's musical tent going on here, can't remember reading a post from a lady anywhere around..

Dave Frank

There are three ladies on the KC, Michelle/GeekGurl, Gangsu/Sue, and one whose name I've forgotten, all listed in order of posting frequency. I wish it were different, more posts from them and women in general.

Oh, I just remembered, Six String Man joined with his lady friend, in fact I think she posted first, but I think he kind of took over.

And Ioana. She has some videos posted in the Shameless Plugs subforum.

My wife is very supportive of my work in music... and I am equally supportive of her work as a bio-chemist.

Before music paid the bills, back in my 20s, I had several lovely, long-suffering girlfriends who were quite supportive of my musical shenanigans, mainly involving an original funk band where we dressed up as spacemen and pimps.

It's really nice to read all the support that most of you guys have recieved. My wife started out supportive but over the years that has dissolved. I even quit playing gigs for 4 years in hopes things could turn... Not so much.. I think it's time to start gigging again.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

My SWMBO loves all the same music as me, lets me spend whatever I need, comes to all the gigs and videos them all..........in return I do whatever dancing she wants to do and let her buy any shoes, clothes etc she wants......fair exchange I reckon! ;)
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

[

Oh, I just remembered, Six String Man joined with his lady friend, in fact I think she posted first, but I think he kind of took over.

Wow, you've got some memory there Joe! Either that, or you're spending far too much time on here. :)

Actually, I joined 3 or 4 months before my "lady friend" - ( she's gonna love that! ) Her name is Elindal, but she generally gets Lynne for short. She posted for a while as Keyboard Girl, but rarely is on these days. She got a lot of help from Craig MacDonald at one point. I still read her out interesting bits while I'm on here, but she's very busy as a moderator on two non-musical forums.

We're both retired now, and neither of us gig, but she's amazingly supportive of my playing ( she sits close by, with her laptop, moderating, and telling me what I'm doing wrong! ), and also my occasional new purchases.

She's a wizard with a computer, so she also acts as my tech support when needed. We will have been together 13 years in September, and I'd be lost without her.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

SSM,

Not sure exactly what I did to help your wife (I know we did have some emails back and forth discussing a few things...) but glad I could help!! If I recall correctly, I wasn't sure for a while whether I was talking to you or your wife!!

I've been divorced, since 1997, from a woman who couldn't carry a tune to save her life, and while she tolerated my musical interest, her only interest in music was IF it could result in $$ (and clearly that's mostly impossible). After we separated I met a young lady who LOVES music, and who is very musical herself (just one of those people who knows the melody and lyrics of almost any song).. and we've been together ever since!

She and I have been living together for the last 7 years or so, and she absolutely loves my music, she loves to come see my band play, and she's my biggest fan. We finally got married this summer and we danced to a song I had written for her, and this relationship is like night and day compared to my first marriage (and not just in her appreciation for music).

She's also got a great ear for the band mix and is very careful to ensure that her husband, the keyboard player, is up properly in the mix, and at the same time she hears every one of my clams (which happen often)..

Both my life and my music has been completely reinvigorated as a result of this fantastic woman, and I am very thankful to have her in my life!!

BTW, if you want to know how great my new wife is, a couple years ago I decided to transplant a an A100 into a nice BV cabinet, and since my basement is a real pain to get hammonds in and out of, I decided that the dining room might be a convenient place to do it. So I disassembled all the dining room furniture and moved it out, and moved in organs and cabinets and soldering irons tools and sandpaper and stain etc. and the dining room was a disaster for about 6 months. During that time I would often ask her if she was OK with all of this, and I got basically the same answer every time.. "baby you know I love your big organs"..

So who's got the best wife on this thread!!! I vote for mine.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

SSM,

Not sure exactly what I did to help your wife (I know we did have some emails back and forth discussing a few things...) but glad I could help!! If I recall correctly, I wasn't sure for a while whether I was talking to you or your wife!!

I've been divorced, since 1997, from a woman who couldn't carry a tune to save her life, and while she tolerated my musical interest, her only interest in music was IF it could result in $$ (and clearly that's mostly impossible). After we separated I met a young lady who LOVES music, and who is very musical herself (just one of those people who knows the melody and lyrics of almost any song).. and we've been together ever since!

She and I have been living together for the last 7 years or so, and she absolutely loves my music, she loves to come see my band play, and she's my biggest fan. We finally got married this summer and we danced to a song I had written for her, and this relationship is like night and day compared to my first marriage (and not just in her appreciation for music).

She's also got a great ear for the band mix and is very careful to ensure that her husband, the keyboard player, is up properly in the mix, and at the same time she hears every one of my clams (which happen often)..

Both my life and my music has been completely reinvigorated as a result of this fantastic woman, and I am very thankful to have her in my life!!

BTW, if you want to know how great my new wife is, a couple years ago I decided to transplant a an A100 into a nice BV cabinet, and since my basement is a real pain to get hammonds in and out of, I decided that the dining room might be a convenient place to do it. So I disassembled all the dining room furniture and moved it out, and moved in organs and cabinets and soldering irons tools and sandpaper and stain etc. and the dining room was a disaster for about 6 months. During that time I would often ask her if she was OK with all of this, and I got basically the same answer every time.. "baby you know I love your big organs"..

Glad you're happy Craig, it's great to have support from your other half!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

SSM,

Sorry Craig

Apart from all the above I should mention Carole also bought me a Gibson Les Paul for Xmas, I think that trumps yout furniture tolerance!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived