Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The diversity of this forum

J. Dan

Lately there have been a lot of conflicting opinions on a few things, and I wanted to comment.

The fact is, we have a very diverse group here. I personally find that to be nothing short of awesome. On one hand, it results in very different opinions on certain things that can turn contentious. OTOH, we have experience and expertise here from every perspective you can imagine. I find that invaluable.

I'm sorry if I've gotten a little pissy. It may come off as being defensive, or offended. To the contrary, I just want to make sure that nobody makes excuses and weighs all of the experience and expertise available.

It helps to get to know the people on here and their perspective. I can tell now which nuggets of gold to value most from each forumite based on what I know of them. If you don't know that, I can see attacks based on how it might not align with your paradigm. But I assure everybody that this is the best resource on the net for an overall coverage of all things keyboard. There may be better places for certain things Hammond or korg, or whatever. But this place rocks. Be patient, get to know your fellow forumites, and most important, be thoughtful and helpful.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anybody needs to apologize for being snarky recently, it's me.

Thanks for the reminder, Dan. :thu:

This forum has been my top resource for a long time. It's helped me pick up my game in a big way. Most often I don't have to ask, because what I want to know is already being discussed. All of that and some.

I'm a little dissappointed that I wasn't named Goodwill Ambassador, but I remain grateful that I haven't gotten the Dave Horne gold watch.

Humble apologies to everybody I've offended.

And I apologize in avance to those I haven't offended yet.

--wmp

I'm a little dissappointed that I wasn't named Goodwill Ambassador, but I remain grateful that I haven't gotten the Dave Horne gold watch.

:D

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

There's even a violin player. No one knows why.

More than one...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Hear! Hear!

This is the year that I basically had to walk away from that other keyboard forum. Their missteps were due totally to site management, not because of the forumites. Keyboard Corner is now my "go to" site.

I should mention that I also joined the Piano World forum. They have lots of great stuff about acoustic piano. Just don't get too involved in discussions about classical music. There are some serious snobs there. I have a theory that classical music is declining in popularity due to the snobbish attitude of the fans, not because of the music.

Elitism is in check on this forum.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

There may be some who disagree, but I actually think that this forum is much better than it was a year ago.. I think that the membership is much more tolerant of different opinions, and newbees, and there are far less obvious biases. There is also a lot less sarcasm and RTFM type comments, and a lot more helpfulness in general.

A year ago there was a guy who joined the forum made one post and he was so badly harassed over that post that he permanently left the forum within 24 hours (a guy I know who had a wealth of information to share!!). That was disgraceful behaviour on the part of a number of forum members and I haven't seen any of that crap lately.

Kudos to everyone for building a better sense of kinship and helpfulness.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

The fact is, we have a very diverse group here. I personally find that to be nothing short of awesome.

'nuff said. :cool:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Let's see.... I've been called a poser after saying that too many jazz musicians focus on the mechanical and ignore the emotional side of music, an Apple hater even though I have 4 apple computers and 3 iPads in my house, oh, and was told my band must not be very good if we don't like playing Eric Clapton's "Cocain". I remember the conversations but I don't remember who said them. Discussions sometimes get heated. You get over it and move on.

I'd like to know the average IQ of the forum members here. Lot of smart people here.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

wmp said: "I remain grateful that I haven't gotten the Dave Horne gold watch."

What is the Dave Horne gold watch?

And, anyone knows what happened to him? I seem to remember enjoying his contributions to the forum.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

wmp said: "I remain grateful that I haven't gotten the Dave Horne gold watch."

What is the Dave Horne gold watch?

And, anyone knows what happened to him? I seem to remember enjoying his contributions to the forum.

He was banninated a few years back. You can probably find him on Facebook.

Dan

There may be some who disagree, but I actually think that this forum the Roland VR-09 is much better than it was a year ago.

Fixed. ;)

BOTH!!!! Agreed.. and I had faith!! some didn't..

(still a couple things I want fixed!!)

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

There may be some who disagree, but I actually think that this forum is much better than it was a year ago.. I think that the membership is much more tolerant of different opinions, and newbees, and there are far less obvious biases. There is also a lot less sarcasm and RTFM type comments, and a lot more helpfulness in general.

A year ago there was a guy who joined the forum made one post and he was so badly harassed over that post that he permanently left the forum within 24 hours (a guy I know who had a wealth of information to share!!). That was disgraceful behaviour on the part of a number of forum members and I haven't seen any of that crap lately.

Kudos to everyone for building a better sense of kinship and helpfulness.

+1, Craig is right. I remember my first post on my review of the SK2. I was not only blasted for the content of the post but was also accused of being someone else posting for a well known company. However, the board does seem more "poster friendly", but there will always be differences of opinion. And that is a good thing as long as discussions are in a civil manner. A bit like the NFL hotshots? And this board was actually a valuable source of information that led to me moving from the SK2 to a Mojo. All in all a good thing.

Let's see.... I've been called a poser after saying that too many jazz musicians focus on the mechanical and ignore the emotional side of music, an Apple hater even though I have 4 apple computers and 3 iPads in my house, oh, and was told my band must not be very good if we don't like playing Eric Clapton's "Cocain". I remember the conversations but I don't remember who said them. Discussions sometimes get heated. You get over it and move on.

I'd like to know the average IQ of the forum members here. Lot of smart people here.

IQ? A, a, around 200 to 103 depending ;-)

EQ, now that's the thing that I suck at

WMP apology accepted lol

edit rabid I agree with you about jazz and emotional vs mechanical side.. whatever that means :wave:

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

And this board was actually a valuable source of information that led to me moving from the SK2 to a Mojo. All in all a good thing.
:thu: Since I joined the forum, I have not made a purchase decision without first referencing the expert opinions offered here.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

There may be some who disagree, but I actually think that this forum the Roland VR-09 is much better than it was a year ago.

Fixed. ;)

BOTH!!!! Agreed.. and I had faith!! some didn't..

(still a couple things I want fixed!!)

I DID And ditto

Archived