Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Congrats - just saw your post that you bought one while I was typing this.

The DMC-122 does accept Yamaha FC7. I haven't tried a footswitch in the DMC yet, everything is assignable and selectable for both latched and unlatched. There are also controls for a halfmoon switch. Check out the Editing Software and you'll get a good idea of everything it can do. Also Mac compatible - so that is also a good way to get a lot of flexibility out of the HX3, because nearly every parameter can be assigned via midi CC.

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=42#dl

The HX3 Expander itself also has direct jacks for Expression pedal and a Footswitch jack for the internal leslie effect.

I created a custom CC set for the DMC in the HX3 remote software and mapped all the standard parameters (Percussion, C/V, Reverb 1,2 + 3 to the buttons + I also assigned, Overdrive, A028 age, Swell trim cap, Tone trim pot, ContSpring Flex and Damp to the knobs 1-6. Really flexible. And then it's easy to make other DMC setups based on your master with one manual controlling another sound source with custom velocity settings, cc settings, etc.

D

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

LX88 - By the way as far as price, the VAT is deducted automatically from the 695 EU if shipping to the US. My total cost in January to Massachusetts was 675.00 USD via Paypal.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Congrats - just saw your post that you bought one while I was typing this.

The DMC-122 does accept Yamaha FC7. I haven't tried a footswitch in the DMC yet, everything is assignable and selectable for both latched and unlatched. There are also controls for a halfmoon switch. Check out the Editing Software and you'll get a good idea of everything it can do. Also Mac compatible - so that is also a good way to get a lot of flexibility out of the HX3, because nearly every parameter can be assigned via midi CC.

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=42#dl

The HX3 Expander itself also has direct jacks for Expression pedal and a Footswitch jack for the internal leslie effect.

I created a custom CC set for the DMC in the HX3 remote software and mapped all the standard parameters (Percussion, C/V, Reverb 1,2 + 3 to the buttons + I also assigned, Overdrive, A028 age, Swell trim cap, Tone trim pot, ContSpring Flex and Damp to the knobs 1-6. Really flexible. And then it's easy to make other DMC setups based on your master with one manual controlling another sound source with custom velocity settings, cc settings, etc.

D

Looks very nice! I wish the Leslie control switch was located in a better place.

So what is the US price for the DMC?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Is anyone using the HX3 module with an H-S XK System?

I've heard from several users on the Keyboardpartner forum that most of the controls on the XK3 work fine, but that there remains an issue with MIDI channel assignment for the bass pedals (XK3 sends on channel 3).

I'm told that Carsten at Keyboardpartner has been helpful in sorting out a couple of XK3 specific issues.

Anyone here with firsthand experience?

Dennis

The U.S. Price for the DMC is 1490.00 delivered.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

That's not bad actually. That with the module is less than the SK2 and much less than the CD2. In spite of my comments about how on a gig you probably can't hear the difference, I'm still such a geek I'm very interested in this especially if the internal sim is as good as a Vent or Burn. That does simplify things a bit. I have a Sonic Cell and could use that for whatever other sounds I might need so this is an intriguing possibility.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Something I probably should have figured out before I ordered one, but... I know you have to use the remote app to create custom CC sets. But once you've created them, is it possible to save them and switch between them from the front panel? In other words, if I want to switch back and forth between playing it from an Sk1 and playing it from a Mojo, can I make that switch from the front panel (hopefully), or will I have to hook it up to a PC every time (hopefully not)?

I think the latest firmware has 2 open slots for custom CC sets in the panel menu. The Hammond SK and Hamichord (Mojo) cc sets are built in to the panel menu.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

• 1 month later...

hello dave ,

just got an hx-3 board and control panel , set up with

hamichord cc set , it's got a few glitches . it changes some

of its volume and tone settings everytime I hit a preset .

it also reverts the c/v back to v1 every time I toggle the

leslie switch to either slow or brake ( not a big deal , it sounds better through my vent )keyboardpartner is aware of

the vib bug , they suspect it's something to do with the mojo's

midi implementation . have you had a problem with your's ?

do you have a work-around ?

Hi Bill,

I agree, the HX3 sounds better to me also through the vent. Although I'm looking forward to hearing what Wolfgang did with the internal Leslie settings on the X3.

As far as the Mojo CC set, I think the best solution would be to actually create a custom cc set of your own. I did use the Hamichord cc set with the Mojo, it worked well enough to do gigs with, but ended up selling the Mojo to get a DMC-122 which is a far better controller for my needs.

I know the manual for the Mojo has the midi cc mapping in it, so creating a custom cc set with the remote software wouldn't take too long. That also would solve the issue of the knobs that are unused with the Hamichord cc set with the mojo. You could then assign those for other functions like lower CV on/off, reverb levels, swell trim, tone trim, etc...

As far as the presets buttons, I assume you would just save those in the expander itself or in the remote software and just call them up from the mojo. I haven't used presets much, I mostly use the live functions. Hope this helps! I am traveling these next few weeks and don't have access to the software, but feel free to drop me a line if you need any help.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

I connected the HX3 Expander to my Leslie 145 and it sounded great. It compared well to my A100 / Leslie 145. Because the internal speaker's on my A100 were also on it wasn't a perfect compare. I also did a compare of the HX3 Expander and Nord Electro 4D, both through the SS3. The HX3 won this compare: it sounded more authentic/organic and had none of that undesirable digital sheen. I'm not bashing the N4D (as it's quite good), but rather simply saying the HX3 sounded better to me.

A new Firmware Version (3.822) will be released later today.

It adresses some issues with different MidiCC sets... (Mojo, XK3,...)

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=dab7eb1547cf4e931e3869cc49eac6ea

Changelog

07/09/2015 Firmware #3.822, FPGA #05072015, ScanCores #17

From firmware 3.82 and up, HX3 will not send own MIDI CCs on MIDI OUT when MIDI Option = 3 (RcvSndMgNoCC). MIDI Option = 3 is now default on all firmwares except HX3 Expander (which has to accept MIDI CCs). This change has been made since the MIDI CCs HX3 sends out may disturb connected MIDI workstations/arrangers. Note: If send/receive of MIDI CCs is enabled (Option = 1 or 2), HX3 will transmit its own CCs (drawbars etc.) always according to NI B4 set, independent from selected MIDI CC interpreter.

Independent from MIDI option selected, HX3 will always send a 3.3V TTL level MIDI signal on PL16 pin 8 for controlling Ventilator/Minivent DSP board with synced stop/slow/fast. Pin 34 of Vent DSP board is MIDI TTL input. Also wire digital ground (PL16 pin 10). Ventilator DSP accepts MIDI CC #21 values 0 (stop), 1 (slow), 2 (fast) on channel 1.

Fixed bass pedal drawbar bug on some MIDI CC sets due to flaw in ScanCores

Fixed erraneous display/saving of AudioJ Conf A/B

Fixed Percussion mute bug on presets 1..15

Modified MIDI Option = RcvSndMgNoCC behaviour (see above)

HX3 now sends MIDI CC #1 and #44 for rotary footswitch when MIDI Option = 1 or 2

RcvSndMgNoCC option is now default on HX3 firmwares except for HX3 Expander

Added MIDI CCs for Hamichord/Mojo CC set:

> #1 = Rotary Slow/Stop/Fast (modulation wheel),

> #91 = TG Leakage (is "Crosstalk" knob on Mojo),

> #92 = TG Cap set (is "Keyclick Length" knob on Mojo),

> #95 = Swell Trim Cap (is "Percussion Volume" knob on Mojo)

Additional TTL MIDI output for controlling Ventilator/Minivent DSP board (see above)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I have the mojo, hx3 expander , (as well as a real B3/147... )

I'll do the firmware upgrade on the hx3 tonight and see what's changed with controlling via he mojo as well as a test for the new hx3 Leslie sim against the real thing.. (I also have a dr. Fish sticks 1/4 inch - 6 pin adapter so I'll push both the mojo engine and he h3x engine through the 147 to see how that sounds....)

Only thing I do not have is a vent..I've been holding offf on that purchase for a while now.....but I just might have to try that as well.

Lastly I have the Center Point Spacestation V3.....so far that has improved *all* clone wheelLeslie sims I have tried...it's by far the best speaker (imho) for any non-"real" Leslie setups...connected to a behringer b1200 sub I have to say the sound is outstanding....I'd love to put that up against a 8800 (but those cost big bucks!)

Anyways, the choices today are just incredible....what a great time to be a B3 enthusiast!

John

So I just updated the firmware (not for the faint at heart) and I can't get the supposedly updated "mojo" controls to do their thing (like control leakage/crosstalk, etc). I'll have to spend some more time with it. Still sounds great though...although, not sure I can say that it is "better" than the Mojo's own sound engine.....but like I was told when I first joined this forum...some of us will forever be chasing a way to make that 400lb beast sound in a 20-30 lb package (or a 1 lb package if you consider the HX3 expander is just a little box). The cool thing about it is its all done in hardware. No software generation of the tones. So supposedly you'd hear the tone as soon as you touch the key (keeping in mind that midi adds about 1 ms of delay)......

Anyways, both engines are fantastic! (not sure I need both! LOL) - but I do need a dual manual controller, so maybe I'll get rid of the mojo and keep the HX3 and just use a DMC-122....its not really "stage" ready as you need a laptop to run it (whereas the mojo is plug -er in and play).....but I'm not gigging, so for home studio use the DMC would work for me.

I guess I need 30 posts to post to the classified's so for now, I'll just keep chiming in where I can.

-John

P.S. If anybody has an HX3 and gets stuck with trying to do the update, PM me. Best thing to do though (which saved my butt) is to take a screenshot of your license in the Remote Editor because you have to re-enter it when you update the firmware....I think there is a way to save this info and then load it, but a lot of this stuff is written in german, so Google translation only goes so far.

hi dave ,

when I hooked up the hx to the mojo it was responding to the

presets I had already set up in the mojo , pretty neat. just

read there's an update that addresses some of the problems with the crumar's cc#s , I guess i'll have to figure this out . one

thing I noticed is the way it feels under my fingers , there's

no latency but it also doesn't feel as animated as the mojo .

i don't know how crumar did it but the mojo is very much like playing on a real tonewheel in that regard .

Only thing I do not have is a vent..I've been holding offf on that purchase for a while now.....but I just might have to try that as well.

I'm using the GSi BURN with the HX3 and I am in awe of the combination. Prior to the very latest version 3.822, the HX3 would clip the BURN's input but with 3.822 it is perfect.

I do not have a Vent and I completely believe that it is an awesome device but I can't say enough about the BURN. It is extremely flexible and just sounds great with MANY variations of cabinets and tons of adjustable parameters.

To me, HX3 + BURN = awesome.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

So I just updated the firmware (not for the faint at heart) and I can't get the supposedly updated "mojo" controls to do their thing (like control leakage/crosstalk, etc). I'll have to spend some more time with it. Still sounds great though...although, not sure I can say that it is "better" than the Mojo's own sound engine.....but like I was told when I first joined this forum...some of us will forever be chasing a way to make that 400lb beast sound in a 20-30 lb package (or a 1 lb package if you consider the HX3 expander is just a little box). The cool thing about it is its all done in hardware. No software generation of the tones. So supposedly you'd hear the tone as soon as you touch the key (keeping in mind that midi adds about 1 ms of delay)......

Anyways, both engines are fantastic! (not sure I need both! LOL) - but I do need a dual manual controller, so maybe I'll get rid of the mojo and keep the HX3 and just use a DMC-122....its not really "stage" ready as you need a laptop to run it (whereas the mojo is plug -er in and play).....but I'm not gigging, so for home studio use the DMC would work for me.

I guess I need 30 posts to post to the classified's so for now, I'll just keep chiming in where I can.

-John

P.S. If anybody has an HX3 and gets stuck with trying to do the update, PM me. Best thing to do though (which saved my butt) is to take a screenshot of your license in the Remote Editor because you have to re-enter it when you update the firmware....I think there is a way to save this info and then load it, but a lot of this stuff is written in german, so Google translation only goes so far.

I just updated the firmware and FPGA on my HX3 Expander Module. "Not for the faint of heart" is an excellent summary of my experience. I'm glad to be done with that and hope I don't have to do it again (although I expect it would be easier the second time around). Per jmolino's suggestion I took a screenshot of the license info and am glad I did as I needed this info to complete the process. Thank you jmolino!

Your welcome Al! Glad it was helpful. I know there is a way to save the license data and then reload it, (as well as it is supposed to do it automatically if you "check the box" - which I could not see) - but this more of a safeguard so I didn't have to re-generate license data.

I might as well explain for those unfamiliar with doing a screenshot (well, you probably shouldn't be attempting a firmware upgrade in the first place, but anyways)....just press the PrtSrn (or equivalent) button - and then open up a graphic program (MS Paint works fine)...then just press your "Paste" keys (CTRL-V or use the menu items under Edit) and you should have a screenshot. Save it. Works very similar on MAC just with different program (don't recall the name).

Other ways to take a screenshot - (which I use daily - this is on PC)....install "Jing" (https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html ) which is a free download, and then you can always capture just a "section" of your screen with the rectangle tool - this program is also nice for sharing screenshots with other people, since it will upload it via screecast.com at a click of a button and then give you a link to send to somebody. (obviously not your HX3 license info)....

Lastly, once you have an screenshot image you should save it somewhere safely up "in the cloud" - on Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or whatever cloud backup you have so you could access it from anywhere if you need to update next time from a different computer - you won't have to go through this procedure again.

Happy Firmware upgrading!

Cheers all,

John

The license info can be manually re-entered on the 'advanced' page if necessary. Also, screenshot is a good idea, and for the Mark 4 Expanders, there should also be a copy of all license numbers on your original sales receipts.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Delaware Dave, I've been out of town for the last few weeks and haven't tested it further. When I get home Sunday I'll make it a point to test the Voce with the HX3 give you a final answer on that.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

for the Mark 4 Expanders, there should also be a copy of all license numbers on your original sales receipts.

Hi Dave,

I've gone through my receipts and don't see the license numbers. My order was placed on June 6th (they do their dates backwards).....do I not have the Mark 4? How would I know? Also, when you say on the receipt...are you referring to the .pdf file, or the email?

thanks,

John

Your welcome Al! Glad it was helpful. I know there is a way to save the license data and then reload it, (as well as it is supposed to do it automatically if you "check the box" - which I could not see) - but this more of a safeguard so I didn't have to re-generate license data.

I might as well explain for those unfamiliar with doing a screenshot (well, you probably shouldn't be attempting a firmware upgrade in the first place, but anyways)....just press the PrtSrn (or equivalent) button - and then open up a graphic program (MS Paint works fine)...then just press your "Paste" keys (CTRL-V or use the menu items under Edit) and you should have a screenshot. Save it. Works very similar on MAC just with different program (don't recall the name).

Other ways to take a screenshot - (which I use daily - this is on PC)....install "Jing" (https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html ) which is a free download, and then you can always capture just a "section" of your screen with the rectangle tool - this program is also nice for sharing screenshots with other people, since it will upload it via screecast.com at a click of a button and then give you a link to send to somebody. (obviously not your HX3 license info)....

Lastly, once you have an screenshot image you should save it somewhere safely up "in the cloud" - on Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or whatever cloud backup you have so you could access it from anywhere if you need to update next time from a different computer - you won't have to go through this procedure again.

Happy Firmware upgrading!

Cheers all,

John

Actually I just took a photo of the screen with my smartphone. Primitive but effective :)

Actually I just took a photo of the screen with my smartphone. Primitive but effective :)

Smart thinking! That works too! I've done the same thing when somebody asks me to "scan" in a document and email it to them.....pull out phone, snap a pic and email away! Good work. Let me know if you have any problems with upgrading as I successfully did it.

-John

I just made a call to Analog Outfitters in Champaign Ill. and they will be distributing the HX3 Module in the very near future.

They mentioned that the price will be approximately 700 dollars.

I am curious as to how well these would interface with existing clones. Has anyone tried it with a Numa?

I like the concept of using a module rather than buying a complete new board. I wish they would do this with digital piano sounds again.

The sound is spot on and controllable via the software they provide - you can tweak a lot of parameters. I'm just now running one through a 147 (Dr. Fishsticks / Art-Tube Pre-amp) as a test against my B-3. pretty damm close ...but so does the Mojo - pretty equal (but most clones will sound good through a real leslie I'm told). Can't say I can compare to the Numa since I I don't have one.

With the new firmware update, I don't think a Vent is even necessary anymore. Just run it through something like a SS3 and it rocks!.

But I hear ya on having a module. Much better for me if I were to play live, then dragging a laptop with software sounds. For me nothing beats having hardware modules....like those old little E-MU devices....like the E-Mu Proformance /1 Piano Module (there's one on Ebay now for like $100).

Anyways. I think the HX3 has pretty much got the #1 spot currently IMHO (I think DaveOs would agree).

There is a comparison that isn't much of a demo (but there are plenty if you look on Youtube or their website.) but I thought it accurately showed just how close the sounds is even w/o running through a Vent: http://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/hoaxdemo/vent_vs_hx3_perc.mp3

BTW - you don't need to wait to buy one from a US disti....I got the module right off their website....arrived in like 3 or 4 days no problem!

-John

Anyways. I think the HX3 has pretty much got the #1 spot currently IMHO (I think DaveOs would agree).

-John

.... that's what I told you last year but you guys didn't beleive !

;-))

New "hassle-free" updater for beta test:

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=430&sid=25b5e5b18b010d27dc8cbeaae4492ef4

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2