Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

LX,

I don't know how the original NUMA works, but if it is built like the NUMA 2, the high trigger point won't work with an external module. Total deal breaker for me.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

+1

Did my first gig last night with the updated FW and FPGA. It was a jazz trio gig (i.e., organ, guitar, and drums). Nord Electro 4D MIDI -> HX3 Expander -> SS V3 -> BD1200 D subwoofer. The rig sounded great! And my back doesn't hurt this morning :)

:thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

LX...Mitch is right, the Numa organ Mk1 will only trigger midi out sounds on the low key point.

I've been emailing with GG at Studiologic and he has tried to find a solution but seems it would require a firmware update which is not possible just now.

I'ts a real shame as all the Numa controls work great with the expander but I can't work with the low trigger point so I'm going with the X3-1 organ.

This is good news. I know (or knew) the guys there, it's 30 minutes from my house and I can try it w/ my Voce to see if the latest firmware update responds correctly with the drawbars. It's also priced right.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

... 595 EUR INCLUDING 19%VAT !!!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Diversi Organ is going to be selling the HX3. Initial limited time price with free shipping $565.00! For USA customers only.

Where did you hear that price? It's 595 Euro straight from the factory, that's about $650 currently.

... 595 EUR INCLUDING 19%VAT !!!

that could be it, Dave. Subtracting the VAT. We will know tomorrow. Divirsi has a new product announcement clock on it's homepage.

:nopity:

HX-3 module for only $565 price????? Really? And it includes Hammond "XK series" MIDI compatibility as well? That sounds like the perfect upgrade for an XK-2, and it's cheaper than a VR-09 and only slightly more than a Vent!!! I love the form factor of my XK-2, especially the keyboard action and it's MIDI controller capabilities.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Ain't that a bitch.... it won't work with a Numa. That's strange because the Numa uses the TP80 keybeds.

So what will it work with? The 565 dollar price would be tempting, but then you might have to add a fairly spendy controller.

There are a lot of controllers with "drawbar" sliders. As I recall, Behringer had some controllers at NAMM that had a good key feel at a low price. But I can imagine that there would be issues with that.

I would be happy with presets if the HX3 is capable of that. I only use a handful of settings.

This is all getting very interesting and the price seems to be coming down all time. It;'s really nice to hear that the sound module is in this price range. That's news.

Waiting for mine to arrive.

After reading the MIDI specs I will simply use the software I have used on VB3 and hopefully just some minor adjustments.

I do not have the luxury of the old one handed drawbar technique but have better controls in software than I ever did when I used the real thing.

These days I have to cover horn parts, so an FS-6 with note on/offs can easily do the shakes and falls, and a pair of FC-7s can cover drawbar swells for lower and upper manuals.

Even recall presets since I might need the CaravanaSierra/Santana swell, or the Steppenwolf Pusher swell, or Argent, Uriah Heep, etc.etc.

Bidule can create the devices I have below from the Scope DSP platform, so Cantible or Forte should have something easy to build.

I only need 4 x drawbars simultaneously so FC-7 #1 upper manual uses CC# 90 as the input, which then moves 4 x drawbars, each with their own starting point and target destination, also with their own curves, and lag times.

So basically I don't need to ride the expression pedal, just stomp down and pull back for the desired effect.

Can't wait to hear this, I might even buy a broke down 147 and restore it. I really miss that ballsy Hammond sound.

What I have is fine since it's mostly rock and the Melda MRotary does a great job of stereo Doppler via FOH and SSv3.

But having that air blowing past my ears was awesome.

http://s30.postimg.org/5bo65tibl/drawbars.jpg

photo hosting sites

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Ain't that a bitch.... it won't work with a Numa. That's strange because the Numa uses the TP80 keybeds.

So what will it work with? The 565 dollar price would be tempting, but then you might have to add a fairly spendy controller.

There are a lot of controllers with "drawbar" sliders. As I recall, Behringer had some controllers at NAMM that had a good key feel at a low price. But I can imagine that there would be issues with that.

If I understand correctly, it will work with the Numa... it just doesn't support the high trigger point. A Behringer type of controller won't have high trigger point option to begin with, so it's no better in that respect, and worse in not having the rest of the real organ layout/controls and waterfall keys.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I preordered one from Diversi tonight. Special price is for the first 10 units only.

They won't have the units for a couple weeks.

I just pre ordered also. I have mixed emotions about this, but if it do what it say it can do then everything will be fine. Plus. it's only $66 dollars more than the Yamaha Reface YC. :laugh:

:nopity:

Apart from the low trigger point, the Numa works perfectly as a controller for the module. With some slight differences, all the knobs drawbars and buttons do as they usually do, plus if you select the split button with octave up, it gives you another octave for the lower manual on the reverse keys.As the Numa has the KeyB engine, you just select that option on the screen. There are over 70 parameters selectable from the screen so you can fine tune everything to suit and save with one button press. Unless Diversi are suppying one, there is no power unit with the module ,so you would have to add that to the price.

Holding out for the DSP module for my DMC122. Must......resist.......temptation....

They are both really close. No doubt the HX3 sounds great...but so does the Mojo's sound...(which you already have in the DMC already right?).

FTW, I'd go w/ the CP SSv3 speaker.

Now for upgrading a keyboard with a sub-par B3 sound - it makes sense. But you may as well hold out... (or not - I know how we all have to have the latest and greatest - I was warned).

-John

No doubt the HX3 sounds great...but so does the Mojo's sound...(which you already have in the DMC already right?).

Only through the editor, which has VB3 built in. I did have a Mojo, so I am very familiar with the sound. However, the DSP card also has a whole host of other engines, and that is really more ideal for me.

I'm still trying to dig up some info on what controllers might work with this.

I would like to have the option of having single or dual manuals.The Crumar controller seems like a good idea but it weighs close to 40 pounds. A lot of the time I don't need dual manuals.

Once again, a question I would have would be if the HX3 expander would function with presets until I sort this controller business out.

Yes the HX3 module will function with presets. You can program everything from the front panel if you need to.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

I could not recommend the HX3 Expander more!!! The HX3 just "feels" great. Maybe it's just me but if I cannot connect with the instrument, I don't play well. I feel inspired when playing the HX3.

Hope this helps those on the fence!!! I also paid much more than $565 so this price is amazing.

There was an unfortunate defect with my HX3 but KeyboardPartner sent me a replacement board with express shipping no-questions-asked. When I returned the defective they refunded by shipping costs back to them as well. My support experience has been great.

I'm using the GSi Burn with the HX3 and reported to KP that the output level was clipping the Burn. Although it was not listed in the latest upgrade change log, KP fixed the issue and the output level on the HX3 no longer clips the Burn. They listen to their customers!

I'm in love with this thing!

Hope this is helpful.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

Web site says:

Predefined CC Settings for: NI B4 dBc, Voce Drawbar, KeyB / Diversi Duo (DSP), Suzuki XK, Suzuki SX, User CC Set (requires free Windows GUI interface)

So it sounds like the Hammonds (Suzuki), KeyB, and as mentioned above, presumably the Numa since it is equivalent to KeyB. And I guess any controller where you can program the sliders to send out whatever CC you want (you would set them to send out the same CC as KeyB or whatever)... so that should cover any of the soundless controllers (I think they all let you specify the CCs of the sliders), and and any other 9-slider board where you can customize the CCs (I'm thinking Casio XW-P1, any of the Kurzweils with 9 sliders, Kronos). Or any board that has 9 sliders that send CCs, if you use the Windows program that lets you create your own CC set. IIRC, Roland VK7 did, but not the newer Rolands, which I think only send sysex. The digital-era Korg CX3, too, which has the advantage of having two sets of drawbars, so you could more easily use some other board as a second manual when needed. Ditto the Ventura TX5, but good luck finding one of those. (Nice feature of the Hammond XK3/XK3C, too.) Can't think of other single manual boards with two sets of drawbars offhand...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would like to have the option of having single or dual manuals.The Crumar controller seems like a good idea but it weighs close to 40 pounds. A lot of the time I don't need dual manuals.

Once again, a question I would have would be if the HX3 expander would function with presets until I sort this controller business out.

Yes the presets function fine using just the controls on the HX3 Expander Module.

I spoke to the people at Diversi yesterday regarding the HX3. It's so hard to get information about how this works....these days, you get to see practically NOTHING first hand, so you have to wind up making informed guesses.

So yes, I was told that presets can be made to the HX3 to get started using a common midi controller. I was also told that you can establish a split point on a 5 octave controller, which was also good news.

I am not a person who diddles with drawbars incessantly, so I might be just fine setting a few presets and looking for a lightweight controller to use with the HX3.