Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

VERY good rock sounds indeed!

Now can you please play a couple of chords with a more jazzy sound like 888000000 with C3 on and yeah... "cleaner"? :laugh:

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

I'll try....

OK, you know I'm NOT a jazz player....

so this is the best I can do :roll:

backing loop from Yamaha MOXF.

HX3 direct out to mixer.

HX3 amp saturation level is about 50 (on a total of about 200).

in my previous video the level was around 100.

remember that this parameter is NOT an "overdrive", but it imitates the correct leslie saturation occurring when increasing the leslie amp volume.

here....

• 3 weeks later...

if anyone is interestd , I spoke to elvio at keyb recently and

he mentioned that he had a few keyb masters in stock , hx3

expander is compatable with it with firmware they now have

available

It´s indeed a very interesting controller.

But w/ all these haptics, why a MIDI expander when it is possible mounting in the HX3 board directly and bypass MIDI?

Are you 100% sure every single drawbar, pot and switchbutton of "Master" works perfect w/ HX3 (expander module)?

What´s the price of the "Master" controller ?

A.C.

according to keyboardpartner they have special firmware which

makes the hx3 completely compatable with keyb organ midi , that's how they worded it . request it specifically when you order the expander . I believe the keyb master is approximately

$ 2000 , but I could be off on that . It weighs 41 lbs . I can

tell you keyb makes quality hardware , I've been using their

expander module for the last 3 years , it's nicely built for

sure

according to keyboardpartner they have special firmware which

makes the hx3 completely compatable with keyb organ midi , that's how they worded it . request it specifically when you order the expander . I believe the keyb master is approximately

$ 2000 , but I could be off on that .

Thank you !

A.C.

• 4 weeks later...

New forum member - HX3 MK3 questions

Hello,

New member to this forum. I also also posted this message to the HOAX forum. I am also interested in the HX3 expander MK3 module with USB. I have been researching this online, listening to demos, and reading a lot of great information on this forum.

My options for controllers are Hammond SK1-73, Voce V5+ and I also have an Ocean Beach DB1 drawbar controller which I believe can be configured to receive any number of midi controller settings, Including the NI B4. It seems to me that the Sk1 or Voce V5+ would probably work best. I have a Nord Stage 2, but from what I've read the CC's are not compatible, only the Electro (also the Nord OS doesn't allow a high trigger point for external sounds, so it wouldn't be the best choice of controller for the HX3 for my playing style).

I use Neo Ventilator 1 + 2 pedals at gigs, Yamaha FC7 and Roland EV5 expression pedals and have a Leslie 145 in my studio.

1) Just so I'm clear - What is the final word on the volume / expression issue that someone posted? Does the module accept expression pedal volume on controller #11? There was some question regarding volume and digital clipping on one of the forum pages. Are there any other volume related issues in the latest 3.63 update?

2) Does anyone know if the Expander is currently shipping with 3.62 or 3.63? I have read about a few user problems with that update on the HOAX forum. Ideally I'd like to use the Firmware PC updates as little as possible. I use Apple computers at my home and studio (running Wine software for any PC based applications). That may or may not work with the HX3 remote software. If necessary I can use a PC at another location for firmware updates but would prefer 'out of the box' menu based changes for most of the functions...

Any other feedback from newer users who haven't posted here yet? Should I wait a little longer for more firmware updates and bug fixes before pulling the trigger on this module??

Thanks,

Dave

Boston, MA

Nord Stage 2-73, Hammond SK1-73, Voce V5+

Neo Ventilator 1+2, Leslie 145

Korg Kronos X 61

Virus B, Roland A70 and more.....

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

• 4 months later...
IMO, all the major players today sound pretty good on the clean sounds. It's when you start to kick in the overdrive that you hear much bigger differences between the different brands. So many demos were with clean jazz sounds... that's why my own soundcloud comparison that I posted a while back focussed on the gritty rock sounds as well.

This is such a true statement.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

I just bought (last week) an HX3 Expander MK4. It is supposed to have a 2nd midi input as well as the USB included. No pictures out there but I'm hoping the USB is built into the aluminum chassis.

I am EXTREMELY excited. Enjoyed reading all the posts here and thank you to all that posted audio/video demos of the HX3. Can't wait to get it.

Can someone tell me the specs for the power supply? I couldn't tell from the KeyboardPartners site if is it center + or -

Luis

Pennsylvania - USA

HX3 Expander output rating 9V / 800mA, Plug 5.5/2.1 mm, plus on Center

http://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Products/snt9

I bought my HX3 Expander adapters at Radio Shack, got a bargain on a few from some stores that were closing. It does have 2 midi inputs, handy if you are using a set of Midi drawbars or a V5 to control the functions of the HX3. Easy USB connection - cable provided. I'll upload a picture of the rear panel

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Luis - For some reason I'm having trouble uploading my picture of the rear panel. PM me an email address and I'll email you the pic.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Any reason why this in particular box has us excited over something like the Ferrofish B4000+ which is fairly easily attainable right now?

If I understand what they are saying in the descriptions.... this is not DSP. This is FPGA, the signal from the keyboard hits the "field gate programmable array" which is dedicated to producing the sound of the electronics in a hammond. For all intensive purposes it behaves like analog hardware, without being analog hardware. So you get no latency and limitless polyphony. Does that sound right?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yes, Elmer, you got it !

Ferrofish ??? Are you kidding ? No comparison !

Lots of HX3-fans and users here in Germany.

I know many XK3© users "upgrading" their sound with

a HX3-Expander.

It seems they swap more and more over the pond !

;-))

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

http://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Products/snt9

I bought my HX3 Expander adapters at Radio Shack, got a bargain on a few from some stores that were closing. It does have 2 midi inputs, handy if you are using a set of Midi drawbars or a V5 to control the functions of the HX3. Easy USB connection - cable provided. I'll upload a picture of the rear panel

Thank you so much, Dave. I had missed where it stated "plus on center"

Pls, Luis. Let us know your impressions as arrived!

Where do you order it?

G

Hi GD, I ordered it from the shop keyboardparter de site. Ordered it on April 23 and have not received it yet but looking forward to it. I will certainly provide insight into my experience.

For a MIDI drawbar controller, I have a Native Instruments (Bohm) B4D that I purchased with the NI B4 II several years back. Should work nicely with the HX3 since it looks like the HX3 has the CC-sets for Native Instruments B4. I just now wish I could find an Expression/Swell pedal that fits the Bohm's 5-pin din connector!!!

Getting more and more excited!!! Thanks again, Dave.

Luis.

I use a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal directly into the HX3 and it works great. Your B4D should work fine with the B4 CC set - if you need to do a custom CC set, it is easy to do with the remote software.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Definitely want to hear how these operate with Custom CC assignments, etc.

I already love the sound.

Their lack of response via email casued me to lose interest.

That was a year ago, maybe they got things happening now.

And FWIW the B4000 does not emulate a Hammond, it's more like a Wersi, but a very good Versi.

Basically is the decades old B2003 from Creamware by Klaus Piehl. At that time in 99' it was awesome for guys that want that overdriven Steppenwolf/Deep Purple sound.

Drawbars swelling are pretty decent as well as the Leslie emu, but the actual tonewheel sound just isn't there.

Know a guy using an Oberheim Drawbar module and a B4000 for left hand and rock stuff, and it's pretty sweet through his Vents.

I am hoping this is a one stop solution, no pedals, just a Physis K4 with a pair of Expressions for lower and upper manual work.

Fingers Crossed..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I got mine today. I have had it plugged in for an hour.

Initial impression: Wow.

It will be an even bigger wow in a week :-)!

I've been thinking about using one of these in my Genesis tribute band. Are you guys just ordering them from the link below or is there another distributor?

http://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Products/hx3-expander-plexi-usb

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I got mine today. I have had it plugged in for an hour.

Initial impression: Wow.

Hi Mitch,

I'm glad you like it!

Hope I didn't promise too much....

:2thu:

regards

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

how is the chorus/vibrato ? I haven't heard any videos where you can clearly hear it . other than that it sounds great , very analogue , it sounds big , like a real tonewheel organ

Bill, the C/V is fantastic. I am a huge stickler for C/V (I can't stand the C/V on the SK/XK or the Nord). The best clone C/V I have used is the Mojountil now. The HX3 C/V is killer right out of the box. It has a lot of adjustment parameters but I haven't touched them. Haven't needed to. It is thick but not warmly and it is killer in the top octave which is where other clones fall short.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Hi Bill,

I own the HX3 expander also. It is fully compatible with the controls on the Mojo. I use my Mojo and other keyboards to control it. The Expander ships with several preconfigured midi CC sets; NI B4, Voce, Hamichord (Mojo), Hammond XK, SK and KeyB, along with space to set up your own custom midi CC sets with the remote software. Many folks do buy just the HX3 board, scan boards etc. to install them directly in older Hammonds like the B3000, XB2, etc. and then have the advantage of having all controls directly connected to the board as opposed to using Midi processing. Mitch is having some kind of custom job done with his.

Some Folks on this forum and many on the keyboardpartner forum in Germany have many ongoing discussions about these things and there are wiki pages that you can link to dedicated to all this info.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro