Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

The Hammond SK1 does.. I just sold mine but was using that as as a controller for the HX3 for a bit.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

FYI: I tried my HX3 with a friend's Nord Electro 4. It utilized the high trigger point when it was in organ mode, lower trigger point when in piano mode. Might want to check to see if the Nord Stage 2 is the same.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

My HX3 is on the way. Time to read the documentation:

QUICK START GUIDE:

c. Plug the power in on your keyboard and turn your keyboard/device ON.

d. Plug the DC power supply (wall wart) that came with the HX3 into on outlet.

e. Now power ON the HX3 by plugging the DC power supply into the back of the HX3.

And the MANUAL:

"It is a good idea to power up HX3 before your MIDI

master keyboard or master controller."

Hmm..

QUICK START GUIDE:

e. Now power ON the HX3 by plugging the DC power supply into the back of the HX3.

And the MANUAL:

Hmm..

I probably did everything in the "wrong sequence" according to this (which I was not even aware of) and it worked like it should :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

New Version 3.84 is online.

New Scanner CV !

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/blob/master/LATEST/readme.md

Additional note: Its a public beta, final, release planed for next

week!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

QUICK START GUIDE:

And the MANUAL:

Hmm..

I probably did everything in the "wrong sequence" according to this (which I was not even aware of) and it worked like it should :)

So which way you did? According to "Quick start guide" or the Manual?

Recently picked up a HX3 to go with my Nord Stage 2...

I have read several posts on this thread (now 18 pages and counting!) of people who have used the Remote software to create custom midi CC sets that work with the Stage 2.

However, after launching the remote software i realized i'm going to need some instructions on how to do this. Do step by step instructions from creating custom midi sets exist anywhere?

Or better yet, has anyone posted a file that i could simply load via the Remote software that will map to the Nord Stage 2?

Also, setting up the local Nord Stage menus correctly to work with the HX3 seems to take some doing. Are the proper settings for this documented anywhere?

And lastly, are people really finding it playable to trigger the HX3 with the low trigger point of the Nord Stage 2? (From what i can tell the high trigger point on the Nord only works with the internal organ sound.) I'm seriously doubting if that's going to work for me.

Well, that's a lot of questions, but they are the baseline for deciding if this is a keeper or not, so any help will be super appreciated! Thanks in advance.

HammonItUp

At present there really isn't any step by step instructions for setting up your own CC's. Some of this is because the Remote Software has been updated to include new features. Using the Remote Software is not that hard once you start to experiment with it. My suggestion is that you Run the Remote Software without connecting the HX3. This way you can see what's there and get a feel for the what it can do.

Also, before connecting your HX3 to your PC install the USB driver CMD v.2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe. If you downloaded the Remote Software from the Diversi website this driver is packaged in the zip file and is in the root folder.

As to preconfigured CC's. There are some provided with the download of the Remote Software as an example one is for the Nord C2.

We here at Diversi sent out an email a couple of weeks ago asking any of the people that have purchased an HX3 from us, if they would like to contribute any Custom CC's that they have created. Diversi would be happy to create the ability for users to upload user created Custom CC's that they would like to share. We would create a webpage section with the information/name for the Custom CC and give an acknowledgment to that person for their work. However, we have had no response to this.

If anyone in this group would like to share their Custom CC's please send me a PM and let me know. Again, Diversi would be happy to provide a sharing library if enough people are willing to participate.

If we can help you please contact us.

Regards,

Tom Tuson

Diversi Musical Products, Inc

QUICK START GUIDE:

And the MANUAL:

Hmm..

The reason you should turn on the HX3 before the keyboard or amp is so that you don't have to hear the power up "thump" through your audio system. It's only a suggestion and it's just a good practice to turn on the audio last and first off. Most pro audio people I have worked with go by, LAST ON. FIRST OFF.

Regards,

Tom Tuson

Diversi Musical Products, Inc

New Scanner CV !

FYI - Diversi has provided this on the Diversi Website and included the USB driver in the root folder.

www.diversi.us/hx3db.html. Go to the right column and you will find it under "Downloads".

Thank you M_G.

Tom Tuson

"The reason you should turn on the HX3 before the keyboard or amp is so that you don't have to hear the power up "thump" through your audio system. It's only a suggestion and it's just a good practice to turn on the audio last and first off. Most pro audio people I have worked with go by, LAST ON. FIRST OFF.

Regards,

Tom Tuson

Diversi Musical Products, Inc"

I know, that is the common smart way. That's why I wondered the different advice in QSG. Or is there another reason for this.

If you have connected a midi controller/keyboard to a midi sound module (HX3) I would think it is most reasonable to turn on the controller before the HX3. Then of course it is another good practise to turn on the amplifier at last.

Reason? In the (very unlikely) case that the controller should transmit any unintended midi messages when turned on.

New Scanner CV !

Wait till LX88 reads about this..

Completely re-written scanner vibrato and scanner capacitor blending

May need some Chorus Dry/Wet and Age param tweaking to your taste

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I am using Dave's CC set for my Nord Stage and it works well. I actually got it from Ken but I think Dave created it. Thanks to both. I am using the 1961 organ and tweaked a few parameters to my liking. The C3 chorus was just a hair too much for me and I adjusted ramp speed a little. I don't use presets, never have. I probably should but usually I have a hand free to adjust draw lights on the fly. Thanks Hardware for the encouragement. I know all these players you mentioned and their Hammond sounds and love them all. Good examples. I have gone from my Hammond/Leslie rig to Korg CX3 to Emu Vintage Keys to OB3 squared to Hammond XK1 to Nord to HX3. I am slowly getting there. This is a 20 year progression. I gave up the B3/122 in 1995. Sold it after divorce for under 1K. Made me sick! Better days ahead. I love the HX3 but am working on getting a controller that is a little friendlier.
"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ

Unfortunately, the Nord Stage 2 does not - I've been asking for this feature as well. The other thing the Electro 4 does that the Stage 2 doesn't do is the 1'cancel on percussion. So, even though the C2 organ is used in the Stage 2, some of the important features are not......

I just saw the post about the CV update.....

It needed to be done.

As you know, it frustrated the hell out of me to have the CV the way it was. And I tried extremely hard to communicate with Keyboard Partner about it. I got zero replies and then a month later.... they do an update. Extremely frustrating.

Well.... I hope it's good. Everything else about the HX3 was actually excellent. I thought the leslie sim was excellent and the percussion was also excellent. But that CV in the upper octave? And there was no indication that they were going to do anything about it.

So I dumped the unit.

Who knows, I might re visit it later.

The point I am trying to make is this. Keyboard Partner seemed to totally ignore my comments both to them and to this forum. But behind the scenes, they are preparing an update....

Do you understand my frustration with this?

If you notice that they have been making pretty regular software updates since introducing the product, you should probably assume they will continue to do so. If you loved everything else about it, why dump it so quickly? Unless you needed the money, I'd have kept it and waited a while to see if there were any updates.

Also, I don't know if you spent any time on their forums or not but there are always posts about requests for updates and improvements and they seem to pay attention to those.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Keyboard Partner seemed to totally ignore my comments both to them and to this forum. But behind the scenes, they are preparing an update....

so they weren't ignoring you at all

Do you understand my frustration with this?

people seem generally happy with this unit, including the guy you sold yours to. Maybe it's just not for you.

:nopity:

One of the reasons I dumped it quickly was because the Crumar module was released, and I thought I might like the Crumar organs better plus they were offering additional sounds....

Honestly, I had no clue that they would update it ( the HX3). As it was it was unusable to me. It drives me crazy when an instrument is ALMOST good enough. Because I know I will be wanting something else in the future.

I never wanted to dump the Numa, and I never wanted to dump my Roland VK8m module, which I thought had far superior CV to the 10 years newer HX3. The only reason I don't have the Roland today is that I foolishly loaned it to a local player and it was ripped off while in his possession.

I am kind of looking forward to checking out the Crumar, though I sure don't need a trumpet sample! I don't get it in that regard.

I was really trying to do a "reality check" on this to see if some of you guys were hearing what I was hearing. I think Dvglako ( sp.?) was the only one in agreement.

Another thing..... my level of being techno - challenged didn't guarantee that I was even going to UNDERSTAND how to do updates. An honestly, I don't get it that an instrument needs to be updated every two weeks.

It's like releasing a CD an saying... well , I am going to re issue this CD with a few improvements in the next couple weeks. Sorry to you people who bought the first one. To me that borders on insanity.

Actually the insanity is buying stuff I haven't heard in the first place - and then bitching about it online. My apologies to those I may have offended.

Well, I can't blame LX88 for wondering if the techno level is above his head. I just tried updating my HX3 using the Diversi instructions and it has gone haywire. I updated the FPGA which went fine, but it won't find the unit when I try to update the FW...and then it says the FPGA is corrupted. Any thoughts?

Sorry to sound harsh LX but its not true that you had no clue that they update it.

You really dont understand the unit, the remote software and the philisophy behimd the HX project.....

It's not for you so be happy with the Numa, the Gemini, the Mojo or whatever but the HX3 is really not the problem....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

It's like releasing a CD an saying... well , I am going to re issue this CD with a few improvements in the next couple weeks. Sorry to you people who bought the first one. To me that borders on insanity.

I don't mean to dogpile, but I don't think this is a fair analogy. A better analogy would be: I'm going to reissue this CD and I'm sending a free FLAC download code to everyone who bought the first edition.

Say what you will about the frequency of the releases, I don't think you can really complain too much about a company who continually makes improvements to a new product and offers the updated firmware free of charge.

My initial impression of the new CV is that it isn't an improvement. I can't seem to dial in a nice shimmer. Is it possible to roll back to my previous version (3.82)?

Every keyboard I own has things that I love about it and things that I don't like and sometimes things that drive me nuts...

The HX3 at this stage is a very mature product. It's been in constant development for several years. The fact is that a small company like Keyboard Partner can often actually implement requested changes or updates in the firmware very easily, whereas a company like Korg, Roland or Yamaha might take years to do an update and good luck getting the 1 or 2 things on your wishlist implemented. If I recall correctly it probably took 6 months at least for Korg to fix that double-trigger problem in the CX3 reissue about ten years ago. Nord Finally put out an OS update for the Stage 2 out in June after almost 2 years. They still haven't addressed a number of issues on the Nord forum's Wish list and instead put out a Stage 2 EX, which most of us Stage 2 owners don't need. But they have bigger marketing and development issues driving their decisions.

Carsten is mostly a one man operation. Keyboard Partner has their own very active forum in Germany. Some of us here are also members of that forum (and yes, many of those folks speak English, so it's not a big deal to communicate and Google translate is easy to use).

That is where any specific issues can be posted and seen directly by the developer.

LX88 - I can't speak for Keyboard Partner not responding directly, sometimes it takes a little to get a reply, but obviously the information was received. Anyways, it didn't work for you, so good luck with the Numa or Crumar. I hope one of those gives you what you need.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

I will send Diversi the CC sets I have made. I have the Nord Stage CC set and also one for the GSI DMC-122.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Maybe not intirely on topic, but never the less....

I use three organs, the HX3, the Numa and Nord.

I also use a leslie 860 and ventilator when I am to lazy to carry the leslie which is, althaugh the smallest of the bunch, still pretty heavy......

The Numa sounded almost unusable through the leslie 860 and through a ventilator it sounded ''compressed''.

On its own through headphones or a great stereo set up it sounds warm, gentile and sweet.

I know the 860 isn't particular known for it's great and warm tone, but to my ears it somehow is exactly what I wanted for all those years combined with the HX3.

Extremely transparent, fat and with all the grit I like.

Something that is completely lacking when the 860 is used with the Numa organ.

Do any of you have similar experiences with such varying results ? Because in essence both the Numa and HX3 are great Hammond models, but need totally different amplification.....

Maybe not intirely on topic, but never the less....

I use three organs, the HX3, the Numa and Nord.

I also use a leslie 860 and ventilator when I am to lazy to carry the leslie which is, althaugh the smallest of the bunch, still pretty heavy......

The Numa sounded almost unusable through the leslie 860 and through a ventilator it sounded ''compressed''.

On its own through headphones or a great stereo set up it sounds warm, gentile and sweet.

I know the 860 isn't particular known for it's great and warm tone, but to my ears it somehow is exactly what I wanted for all those years combined with the HX3.

Extremely transparent, fat and with all the grit I like.

Something that is completely lacking when the 860 is used with the Numa organ.

Do any of you have similar experiences with such varying results ? Because in essence both the Numa and HX3 are great Hammond models, but need totally different amplification.....

I perform live only 1-2x a month or so but have had great results with the Numa1 (+Vent1 at times) through house monitors, a Spacestation V.3, as well as in the studio. So much so that I have had little reason to bring out my neglected H-S 3300. I did have some issues with the HX through a house PA (way to bright on 8') although I was just getting started with it so way too early to generalize and it sounded great through the Spacestation at a rehearsal last week... I believe LX spent much time searching for the ideal Numa amp though I can't recall what he ended up with. Perhaps he'll chime in here?