Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

LX 88 - Sorry to hear the HX3 didn't work out for you. The HX3 Remote software is a very powerful editor and can customize the HX3 into your rig in countless ways. I know we've posted links in the history of this thread to the manual and Wiki pages, but it sounds like some of it didn't filter down to you and you preferred your Numa anyways.

Here's the link to the Remote software pages and all other HX3 info, including flash updater, Midi CC mapping, etc.

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_Remote_Application

As far as Diversi, I haven't dealt with them personally, but since they are new to the unit and it's distribution they may not be aware of some of the info that many of us long time owners have at our fingertips. I'm glad to see that we now have US distribution and support though.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

The editability is astounding. Straight up.

I actually owe them a favor and can see a gap in thier demos I can easily fill.

Gotta share this stuff.

I have had ideas for years about a Hammond for EDM and underground hip hop like Kendrick Lamar.

Ever heard Leslie Throb and C3 Scanner vibrato go from 0 to 127.

Awesome.

Now put swell and OD on that.

Step on the Leslie and expand/collapse drawbars at the same time.

A single expression pedal does this.

Thats only part of what Im doing.

My brothas in Vegas are going to want this sound.

Fresh as baby shit....

I might join a DJ based group.

I got the gear.

Just need some gold chains.

A Mr.T starter kit or something....

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Well the MIDI editor is so good my newest set up is perfect for live use.

I won't be needing the Plexitube, but what a good spare.

Won't be needing the Vent 1, but also a great spare.

HX3 with MIDI controllable ouputs is great, but also the GSi Burn since it has MIDI is great.

For all Hammond stuff not needing the Marshall JCM800 kind of drive the HX3 is up to the task.

Got the Leslie emulation now to where I prefer it over the Burn and the Vent.

Playing all Hammond/Leslie stuff passes through the MIDI controllable Burn in True Stereo Bypass Mode.

Going to the Jon Lord or Steepenwolf tone is instant as HX3 switches to output B configurations, Organ, no amp, no rotors, the Burn does the really heavy driven Hammond sound.

I got all styles now, as I did before but totally controllable by the Physis K4.

I conclude that HX-3 and Burn are the best way to achieve every Hammond sound out there and do it using MIDI.

One Happy Camper here.

Having spares is cool so Im keeping the custom Switcher and Vent 1.

Cheers

Sharing a view of the devices I use for a hands free HX-3/Hammond B3 tune.

Only use the upper manual, those in the know can see the MIDI CC#s are set up to expand/collapse 4 upper drawbars.

This is recallable by a single preset, all controls covered by 1 x Expression pedal and the FSwitch for Leslie speed.

Foreplay/Long Time by Boston.

Left hand covers Clavinet D6, Acoustic Guitar and Double Leads with Guitarist.

Which is why the HX3 is valuable along with MIDI Controlled GSi Burn.

1st device shown has CC#9 (C3 Vibrato Depth) and CC#10 Leslie Throb values.

When I max out (expand) the Drawbars I want the distortion from the Tube Vibrato Age brought back so the Doppler effect of the Leslie is more pronounced.

Having the Leslie Throb Level low when drawbars collapse is also giving more details to the C3 Vibrato and overdrive tone from the HX-3.

Max-ing out the drawbars (expand) also kicks up the Throb level to maximum.

Notice the Lag Times on the devices.

This means all target and destinations are pre programmed for every detail and placement of the drawbars.

No need to ride the pedal.

Stomp on it to expand.

Pull it back to collapse.

That gradual Drawbar swell as the Leslie rates change is awesome too.

VST guys can use Bomes MIDI Translator for Forte/Cantible, I use Scope DSP MIDI devices and Bidule.

If you haven't messed with the MIDI editor you MUST do so for a signature sound.

I have every player I grew up loving stored as presets I can recall in a button push.

Same thing goes for the GSi Burn.

When I go from the excellent Leslie effect and OD of the HX3 to an Extreme JCM800 type Jon Lord sound, HX3 changes it's output config for a straight Organ sound, no Leslie, no verb, no vibrato.

GSi Burn using CC# 102 (default) Kicks into high Tube Overdrive as that CC# kicks the Pedal Switch from Bypass to on.

Sorry for the rant but folks gotta know just how awesome this combo is.

Stash the pedals away safely somewhere since you never need to step on them or tweak them once programmed.

http://s28.postimg.org/gdwty107x/hx_3.jpg

image hosting 10mb limit

The owner's manual I was given mentions NOTHING of these editing parameters or how to access them.

Perhaps if I would have known about all this I may have been able to salvage the situation I had with the HX3.

My unit is now GONE. Good luck to the person who is getting it.

LX, still wondering whats your problem with the HX module.

The remote software is no hidden secret and a lot of infos and explanation are on the keyboardpartner wiki pages....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Bummer.

Don't know what you're using but if like using both hands I'd get another and get a Burn too unless Smooth Jazz and Blues are your schtick.

Sounds great through the IEMs and the SSv3.

There's so much balls to this beast I had to give it a separate send to the FOH as he's cutting my lows out due to the HX-3s big ass low end.

The QSC KW 181s have Kick and Bass but HX3 was punishing those mic'd signals.

Thankfully the Henry Engineering Patchbox II was already onstage.

Had to cut 16db from 400 down to keep from having the Kick and Bass overwhelmed.

Im not even using BPed, just the footages and muted foldback on 16.

This Dog Hunts.

There were a lot of things I liked about the HX3. Excellent leslie sim, drawbar tones , percussion. Great deal at the price point.

I had well known issues with the C/V. It just wasn't up to the level of the Numa I already have. The upper octave had a very intense vibrato throb at 888000000 C3 CV setting in the unit I had.... not smooth like a Hammond.

I tried to contact Keyboard Partners twice. No reply. The U.S. dealer I got it from didn't want to hear about and it though it must be a problem with my hearing or my perception of Hammonds.

I knew the was possibly some deeper editing available and I kept hearing bits about flash tools etc. No mention is in the owners manual, and the HX3 forum is written mostly in German....???

I hated trying to bug the hell out of some of you guys who know more about it than I do. I am NOT computer savvy, especially when there are no details in the manual etc.

Mitch Towne was right - the deep editing may not be for the faint of heart. But I don't care how deep it is. I need to know how it works.

Bottom line was.... I couldn't get the intensity out of the vibrato in the CV. CV is very important to me . Without it, I have half an organ.

I would say ... if you want great CV out of your clone, don't buy it sight unseen. Don't pay an outrageous price for the whole organ you haven't heard.

I have still never heard a Mojo. A lot of the stuff out of Europe has to be bought on spec. Be careful, or you will wind up chasing the next latest and greatest thing a few years later.

I bought the HX3 from LX, so I'll chime in a little. LX is a first rate guy, and he was exceeding pleasant to deal with. He simply could not have been more accommodating. I think one of the issues with his dissatisfaction is that he uses very clean, traditional jazz settings, including turning the Leslie to still. I tend to go in the other direction and use mainly rock and progressive settings. I think the unit sounds wonderful, and I expect to love it.

I quickly got on the wiki page and started to download the HX3 Remote software. Unless there is a glitch in this particular HX3, this software is extremely poorly explained. I spent 1-2 hours downloading all sorts of updates and programs and have still not been able to open the Remote software shown on the webpage: http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_Remote_Application

I put in a call to Diversi, and they said that their main tech for this unit will be in tomorrow. (I will add that I'm more technologically educated than most... In addition to playing keyboards since the early '80's, I teach Technology & Engineering.) If a company wants to have user-friendly software, they start by including a disc of the basic program in the box with the product.

Having said all that, I'm delighted with what I'm hearing. I bought my first Hammond C3 30 years ago, and I've been struggling to get that sound out at gigs ever since. This is surely the closest I've ever been without having to move the real thing.

I quickly got on the wiki page and started to download the HX3 Remote software. Unless there is a glitch in this particular HX3, this software is extremely poorly explained. I spent 1-2 hours downloading all sorts of updates and programs and have still not been able to open the Remote software shown on the webpage: http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_Remote_Application

Not sure if this will help but the way I use HX3 Remote is downloading the entire folder for the version of firmware I am on (for example "HX3_firmw_383.zip"). I then expand the zip into a folder on my desktop. Then every time I open the Remote app, I simply double-click the executable inside the folder and it works great. All the DLL's and related config files are within that folder so the EXE should be opened in that folder. Next time there is an update (i.e. version 3.84), I'll download that whole zip and do the same thing. I will then use the remote that came within that folder.

Frankly initially, it was quite difficult to get the remote app to work and get used to (particularly running the firmware updates - for which now there is a dedicated Flash Upgrade tool). Once you get used to it, it is easy and somewhat useful. Can't speak for the other utilities that are included for tappering/customizing as I have not used those. I love the HX3 through my GSi Burn.

Hope I understood your issue correctly and this is helpful.

Luis.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

Thank you. I downloaded that one earlier; after unzipping it, it is called: HX3_firmw_383e

There are many files inside, starting with a folder "old_fir_taper" ...There are several Excel files and a HX3 flash updater... Most of these files have a blank icon next to them, like Microsoft doesn't know which program to open them in. What does the executable file look like?

The latest software update is always posted here:

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3

hx3_flash.exe is the updater application and

hx3_remote.exe is the Remote editing software

The following files all contain the HX3 parameter numbers that you use when creating custom midi CC sets. You will also see a lot of these numbers when opening the remote software.

hx3_buttons.csv

hx3_organ_defaults.csv

hx3_leslie_defaults.csv

hx3_lower_presets.csv

hx3_midi_cc_defaults.csv

hx3_upper_presets.csv

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/tree/master/LATEST

Inside that 'LATEST' folder you will find this file:

HX3_firmw_383.zip

Download that, extract it and you will find all the other files I listed inside the extracted folder.

Let me know if you get this far or need more help.

D

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

I downloaded that (a couple times) yesterday and unzipped it. Nothing in it opened up the HX3 Remote. Could I ask you, what happens when your HX3 is not plugged in and turned on? Do the icons still look the same and open? If so, it would suggest an issue with the HX3- if not, then I will keep looking.

Thanks.

-Jason

First, we're glad so many people are enjoying the HX3.

The reason why we don't ship the software on disc is that it's constantly being updated.

Here's the link to where you can download the complete package. It's located on the right side of the page under Optional Items and Support, then click the tab "DOWNLOADS." http://www.diversi.us/hx3db.html Also, every time that Keyboard Partners releases an update we post it on are website in the same location.

There, you'll also find the preliminary Owner's Guide, which was shipped with most of the units. This was a slightly updated version of the German owners guide. We expect to have the Diversi completed version of the Owner's Guide within a week or so, and it will be available on the website. Current registered owners will receive an email with a link to it when it is ready.

Thank you for your support!

Diversi

Diversi Musical Products

Jason... Make sure you have the WINDOWS driver installed first before you use the software. If you downloaded the packaged software from the Diversi Website the package has the driver in the root folder. Once you do install the driver then go into the next folder and run the Remote Software. You can then look at it and get a feel for what is going on without connecting it to the HX3. MAKE SURE that you write down the Serial Number and the two LIC numbers, one for the organ and the other for rotary simulation. These are also located on the bottom of the unit. If you disturb them while working in the Remote software you will have to enter them again.

Please call us for anything else you may need help with.

Hope this helps.

Diversi Musical Products

Here's what works well for me.

MIDI CCs once assigned send parameters on the remote app then unplug the USB.

Go to the HX3 set each parameter at the level you like and save as default per parameter.

Then go to Drawbars and save percussion and vibrato selector per preset.

When dialing in or setting any parameter simply push in the Rotary Dial and HOLD it and the unit will say something to the effect of "SAVED". Even the CC setting can be defaulted this way. Every time you turn the HX3 on it will remember your settings. You don't need to use the Remote Software to save settings. Even drawbar and vibrato settings can be done this way as well.

Regards,

Tom

Diversi.

To the HX3 owners.

A couple of weeks ago we sent out an email to the owners that we have sold HX3's to, inviting any of you to send us pictures of you using your HX3 in your rig. We would like to again extend that invitation to any of you who would like to send us a picture of you using the HX3 with your gig rig and a little bio about you and or your band. If you have a web site please provided the URL and/or a FaceBook link so that we can highlight you on our Diversi website. We want to help promote you and/or your band.

Regards,

Tom

Diversi Musical Products, Inc

info@diversi.us

PS.. Even if you bought your HX3 directly from Keyboard Partner or someplace else we would like to hear from you as you are invited as well.

Many Thanks to Luis, Dave, and Tom for their help.

I now have HX3 Remote 3.83 open, and after connecting, it pulled up my serial # and License #s. So I'm getting there.

Are there any instructions on where to go from here? What are the first steps in learning how to use it?

Thanks.

Hi Jason,

Well it depends on what your goals are. Most of the organ settings can be accessed from the front panel of the HX3 and saved as defaults or in presets. The Remote software is best used for creating custom midi CC sets to better sync with your controller. Also for firmware updates, although the flash updater now simplifies that task. What version of the firmware are you running?

And if you want to make a bunch of presets or really get under the hood with the sounds, the Remote software can save you time.

What controller are you using with the HX3? Do you need to make a custom midi cc set?

Here is a link to the Wiki page for the Remote. Some of the stuff on this page you won't need to worry about, but there is some good info there on creating presets, cc sets, etc.

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_Remote_Application

Feel free to write if you have any questions.

Dave

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Since Jason purchased the unit from LX, it was sent to LX with 3.83 already installed. I want to caution that pushing older versions of the "firmware" does have the potential to lock things up and even FUBAR the HX3. Again, this is "firmware" and not parameter settings, that can lock up the unit.

As to what to do with the Remote Software? Like Dave commented, it depends on what you want to do and what are you using to control the HX3. Again, I do however strongly suggest that you NOT connect the HX3 to the software until after you play with the Remote Software a bit. The Remote Software, when not connected to the HX3, still allows you to view the settings and you can get a better feel for what it's able to manipulate. As I have said before, "It's almost a developer level application" and as someone else said at the Atomic Level. :-)

Some many things can be done with the "Remote Software" from changing the tapers of the drawbars, tweaking the Vibrato Chorus and Rotary Simulation and much more. Most often this type of control is only in the hands of the engineers of a manufacture and not the consumer. So what Carsten Meyer has done is really fantastic allowing users that ability to get down into a level to control most every aspect of the system.

Tom Tuson

Thanks Tom and the folks at Diversi for taking on support and distribution of the HX3. Just for the record I'm not trying to push older versions of the firmware; I always encourage folks to update to the latest version after the beta testing is complete.

I've been an owner of both the Mark III and Mark IV Expander modules for several years from way back in firmware 3.47 or so. It's been fascinating watching this product develop and Carsten has been been very responsive to his customers requests and needs in firmware updates. I'm thrilled we now have a U.S. Distributor and support. The buzz has been building for a long time and the folks in Germany on the keyboard partner forum have also been very helpful in guiding the newbies over here with support with the software and updates to this point.

Personally I don't find the remote editor to be rocket science but I agree that caution is needed so you don't overwrite settings that shouldn't be touched or mess around with some of the developer level areas of the software. And obviously everyone on this forum is not necessarily computer savvy and some need guidance. That said, if Diversi is getting some updated documentation that is great! Some of the Wiki pages don't seem to be updated as regularly. I'm also happy to give step by step help to folks who want to make a custom cc set or other Remote based edits.

Some folks on this forum have said 'well the HX3 seems like a work in progress product, not a finished product'. One one hand I can see the logic of that statement compared to other big name manufacturers who release a product every 2-4 years. But, compared to those big-name manufacturers who might take years to put out an updated product or even updated software or firmware for their product, we get updates regularly addressing individual requests for incremental improvements or modifications. It's sometimes done within a week's time of a forum post! I think that's really cool. I've lost count of the number of times that I have posted on other manufacturers forums 'why can't they just implement this or that function, I've had this keyboard for four years and it still does this. Blah blah blah. :-)

The HX3 won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I love mine. I'm also a big fan of Crumar / GSI - they're doing great work with their products and support as well.

Cheers

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Here's how I use it.

Will get some live ones where you can see the Physis K4/Solaris controlling the rack and the HX-3/GSi Burn.

I had it on top of the rack until I learned how to use GSi Burn True Bypass via CC# 102, and switch the Jack Configuration on the HX-3.

Total hands free control.

MIDI allows me to go from one Hammond/Leslie sound to another, with or w/o Rotary, with or w/o Tubes, etc.etc.

http://s12.postimg.org/kvthb5ovh/IMG_0747.jpg

picture hosting