Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Friday sucks.

mate stubb

And for this you saved.... How much?

I don't know, seems a lot easier to just buy the damn thing online....

Yeah, I was gonna say...Xbox One and PS4 are readily available online. They'd have to be practically giving them away for me to plant myself in front of a store for hours in the middle of the night.

It dawns on me, though, that this whole Black Friday shopping thing is finally something that the womenfolk get to toss out logic and nerd out over. Kinda like how Star Wars fans would camp in front of the theater whenever a new movie came out just to be one of the first to see it, as if it somehow wouldn't be the same movie if you saw it a day or two later.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some professional colleagues from Argentina. They observed that Americans are extremely competitive, and that we tend to turn everything into a contest.

Case in point: building machines that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to throw pumpkins farther than the next guy ( Clonk )

It's a war to triumph over fellow shoppers, is all.

Moe

---

And for this you saved.... How much?

I don't know, seems a lot easier to just buy the damn thing online....

Yeah, I was gonna say...Xbox One and PS4 are readily available online. They'd have to be practically giving them away for me to plant myself in front of a store for hours in the middle of the night. ...

They are? And they're getting discounted already? These things were only released within the last couple of weeks.

I remember when mom was trying to pressure me into buying gifts for my nephew and niece.

I told her why? Their house is so packed with stuff that grandma and grandpa have bought over the years that I no longer enjoy visiting there. My uncles never bought me gifts.

End of argument.

I mean really, they're encouraging hoarding and I abhor that.

I snort with derision at Black Friday. I treat it as a radioactive waste dump situation. I plan ahead and around it. Going into a Wal-mart is a stress situation to begin with, so during holidays, I creep in and out at early hours. I don't need a bargain badly enough to lose a shin over it. :P I recall a line from a great old sitcom, "Night Court:" "You don't saunter through Times Square, you run through it screaming." By setting up the proper social and logistic track sheet to begin with, you can pre-exorcise most of the potential demons. Rather than careening around madly, I spent Black Friday with friends, teasing 4 chihuahuas with turkey. That said, you're a 5-star dad to make the trek for an XBox. Children and madness are common bedfellows.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

We haven't gone to Wal-Mart in years. I berated my mom when she went to Target recently. It's all the same bullshit. Target just moved in to Canada, FYI.

Not just that I was comparing TV prices between Sam's Club and BJ's Wholesale club and the difference in price was about 2 dollars. Some prices are not that much lower than normal everyday prices. I was just scanning the web for deals on a Roland SPD-30 as my drummer needs one and all the sales the music retailers have are not even that great. I think guitar center has 15% of one item but it's not applicable to all items.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yeah, I find the whole Black Friday (and shoipping on Thanksgiving now!!!!?!) abhorrent. I think its ridiculous that retail outlets are trying to make their year on one day. Or a day and a half. And F those corporations that are making their employees work on that family holiday so that they can help their bottom lines.

And of course, for the first time ever, my wife SENT ME OUT THERE on Black Friday. She sent me to.MENARDS.

She had a list. 3 drawer tool box. Red Christmas bows for outdoor decorations. Rope lights for our new deck. A beard trimmer. Some Christmas lights. (Is it just me, or does the new crap just not last as long? I buy probably $50-75 worth of mini Christmas lights every year.) 15 piece bakeware set. A work coat for my youngest. I audibled, and also bought 2 space heaters.

That parking lot was full all the way to the street, and there were no shopping carts. But I didnt go until 11am, and everything she had put on list based on their sales was there.

I still wont do it if given a choice.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I steer clear of any retail chains and shopping malls during the holidays. The one store I need is PetSmart for cat food and litter. Shortly before Thanksgiving, I stock up enough to last through the holidays so that I do not have to set foot in that madness. Yes it has gotten that bad.

Frankly if I have to set foot in those places at all, I plan for the times when the traffic is low: early in the week, in the AM if possible.

When I was married, she used to drag me along store-hopping for the best deals. It was a colossal waste of my time and the savings was more than offset by the expense in gas.

It seems there is so much traffic after Thanksgiving. I don't know what it is but things around here are a mess around this time.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

OK. This is very cool.

I just had a coworker stop by my office & we were talking about Christmas shopping.

He is from Chicago.

He told me that you can order a pizza from Giordanno's and they'll ship it anywhere in the USA.

They're not cheap.

But coming from a guy born & bred in Chicago, I figure he knows his pizza. :idea:

(And you don't have to get in your car and go to the mall!)

Here's the link: http://giordanos.com/shop/

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Well did you hear that Amazon.com maybe using drones to deliver packages up to 5 pounds in weight which is 86% of their business.

noblevibes.com

Well did you hear that Amazon.com maybe using drones to deliver packages up to 5 pounds in weight which is 86% of their business.

Yup. On the news this morning.

But that's quite a few years down the road.

Giordano's can have a FAMOUS STUFFED PIZZA... FRESH ITALIAN shipped to my door in 3 days. :thu:

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I steer clear of any retail chains and shopping malls during the holidays. The one store I need is PetSmart for cat food and litter. Shortly before Thanksgiving, I stock up enough to last through the holidays so that I do not have to set foot in that madness. Yes it has gotten that bad.

Frankly if I have to set foot in those places at all, I plan for the times when the traffic is low: early in the week, in the AM if possible.

When I was married, she used to drag me along store-hopping for the best deals. It was a colossal waste of my time and the savings was more than offset by the expense in gas.

I'm laughing only b/c I relate to all of that. And b/c I just ordered a ton of cat food (Natural Balance) from chewy.com. Great food, & it's on sale now. Amazon has it for the same prices. (I do go to a B&M PetSmart store sometimes too).

And b/c I had an ex-g/f who--even a minor shopping trip would quickly turn into the Bataan Death March. I was basically a hostage at that point. NO escape!

I also just ordered a Hoover vacuum from Amazon on a "Lightening Deal". $199 list, lowest price anywhere was $129, "Lightening Deal": $89. I'm feeling pretty, pretty good right now. (??)

All young musicians should read this stuff: you too may wind up a middle aged (or older) guy someday, living with an asshole cat, trying to score a good deal on a vacuum cleaner & vacuuming up his cat fur.....

I think guitar center has 15% of one item but it's not applicable to all items.

Yeah, the list of exclusions is getting pretty long! Wasn't like that 7-8 years ago. :mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

OK. This is very cool.

I just had a coworker stop by my office & we were talking about Christmas shopping.

He is from Chicago.

He told me that you can order a pizza from Giordanno's and they'll ship it anywhere in the USA.

They're not cheap.

But coming from a guy born & bred in Chicago, I figure he knows his pizza. :idea:

(And you don't have to get in your car and go to the mall!)

Here's the link: http://giordanos.com/shop/

Tom

If you're really jonesing for Chicago eats, I've ordered from here a number of times:

https://www.tastesofchicago.com

Lot's more than just pizza, though Lou Malnati's is up there with the best...

Pretty cool. Chicago's Italians started the deep dish stuff in the 1940's. Lou did not get credit for it at first but what a concept.

noblevibes.com

I have some professional colleagues from Argentina. They observed that Americans are extremely competitive, and that we tend to turn everything into a contest.

But I bet they are quick to point out how much better Argentine beef is than American beef :)

Spent a couple weeks in Buenos Aires for work a few years back...man are they crazy about their meat. Even this Iowa boy needed a break by the middle of the week.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Giordanos rocks. A number of years back, I wanted to do something for Steve Hayes and the Speakeasy folks. So for Christmas, with no warning, I sent him 5 deep dish pies for he and the crew. He and Doreen fired up a couple of those pies for the Speakeasy peeps, and they kept the others for family, etc. Being in PA, he went to great pains to tell me how great their cheese and sausage were, and I took no effort to tell him dont worry about it. He called me back after that Speakeasy lunch, and they were all out of their minds about how good that pizza is, and how they were now too stuffed to do anything at work (a risk). It made me very happy to do something for those guys after all the work theyve done for other musicians, and it made me even happier to hear Steve tell me he couldnt believe how good the cheese and sausage was on that pie.

Miss you Steve.

Do your self a solid: If you havent had a Giordanos stuffed, order one today. (And get the sausage.)

Lou Malnattis is pretty good, but.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yup.

Years back, relatives would come through town and INSIST on eating Eastern North Carolina BBQ.

For those of us who grew up eating it (with hush puppies and all the sides), it's like Mother's Milk!

My father had the same idea as you, Tony.

He bought quite a bit, packed it in dry ice, and shipped it to family without warning.

It was always a hit.

Always.

I just think this is a neat idea for a few special folks on your list. :thu:

Eastern North Carolina BBQ available nationwide:

King's BBQ - the Oink Express

Phone 800 322 OINK for Nationwide Delivery.

For the special folks on your list.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived