Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Xk3 or sk2

Dlrshort

I'm confused because when comparing these boards everyone talks about the internal sim and the extra voices Forgetting the internal sim running these boards through a 3300 and using this only as a clone (using a second board for ap, ep and strings, etc., which would you rather own and which would be closer to the B3?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From an interface perspective I'd rather have the XK3 but the SK2 sounds closer to a real B3. Also, on the XK3 you can't split the C/V to only upper or only lower manual, it is all or nothing. Wait for the XK4 to come out, all will be well (but don't hold your breath).

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It is going to depend on the player.

Forgetting extra voices and sims, these are still different tools. I know the one I like better but the other has definite advantages also and would probably be the better choice for more people.

I like the 3c a lot better. Unless you got a line on a good used rig the 3c cost a lot more money if you get the 2nd manual. I like reversed preset keys. I like C/V assignbility. I have to have A# and B tonebars. You get none of that with the SK2 but there are workarounds. The C/V has to sound better on the SK. The XK is a pain if I use the lower manual. The lower manual is in a seperate road case and it is heavy ( because my case is heavy). It is a joy to play. The action is great but the smart money is probably on the SK.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In my opinion probably not. If you play thru a 3300 you aren't going to use the XK's tube overdrive. You will use the 3300's. Tube preamp overdrive on the 3300 kills what is on the XK.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Went through same debate w/ myself 2 months ago before I pulled the trigger on the SK2. No regrets here. Preset keys and 2 sets of drawbars would be really really nice. But the SK2 is so much more portable to an insanely convenient degree. And it sounds better. Given those two giant factors, for me it was a no brainer.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

XK3 owner here. If you're never going to use the lower manual then split C/V isn't an issue. I use it with XLK3 lower manual without problems. Big selling point for me is customized tonewheels, which the SK series don't have. And I do like the tube preamp overdrive.

If you are interested in ultimate customization the XK3 is better. I use my own presets and have some really nice Hammond sounds. Otherwise the SK2 is the better choice.

With the latest revision the SK has the possibility for customized tonewheels!!!

I think soundwise the SK is the better board now.

And easy to carry around.

Sold my XK-System and dont regret it.

Ok, the XK looks better and has a second set of drwabars,

the keybed is maybe a bit better on the XK too.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I own both XK3c and SK2.

IMHO the quality of the XK3c is better in every way - the drawbars, controls and build.

However I need to take dual manual Hammond to gig with and an expanded XK3c wouldn't fit in my car, neither do I want a bad back!

They sound virtually the same and I have no interest in the added sounds.

If Hammond brought out an XK4 Duo with the same quality and half the weight I would buy it in a heart beat, but meantime I love the SK2 for what it is.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

With the SKs and the new XK1c, will there even be any need for an updated XK system?

I think the XK single manual > XK-System/Mini B3 > New B3 will continue to be the flagships of the product line.

Shouldn't the flagship models have the "best" sound engine ?

Or will there be a new "flagship" line soon ???

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

If Hammond brought out an XK4 Duo with the same quality and half the weight I would buy it in a heart beat, but meantime I love the SK2 for what it is.

A dual manual XK1c (call it XK2c or XK4 duo) with two sets of drawbars and the same wheight as the SK2, that would be a great option ! I would buy it....

But I have to disagree with your other statement. IMHO they don't sound the same....

Different CV, different percussion, different leslie sound....

Until Jim does a side by side comparison (or I do!) I don't think the difference in sound is significant.

A dual manual XK1c (call it XK2c or XK4 duo) with two sets of drawbars and the same wheight as the SK2, that would be a great option ! I would buy it....

But I have to disagree with your other statement. IMHO they don't sound the same....

Different CV, different percussion, different leslie sound....

The key word was "virtually"..........

I run mine through a Motionsound or Vent - I don't use the internal sim and I don't use C/V, though I do recall the difference on Jims C/V test.

To me the percussion is fine and not enough difference that you would refuse to use.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

With the SKs and the new XK1c, will there even be any need for an updated XK system?

I think the XK single manual > XK-System/Mini B3 > New B3 will continue to be the flagships of the product line.

Shouldn't the flagship models have the "best" sound engine ?

Or will there be a new "flagship" line soon ???

It is my understanding that the SK's use the same sound engine as the XK's. The differences in basic sound are due to the audio system. The SK's had to have a wider frequency range for the Extra Voices and therefore the internal tone ends up a little different. The basic tonewheels are the same however the way they are adjusted in order to sound similar to the XK-3c is very different. Due to improved DSP processing speed and power the C/V and digital Leslie are improved. Those improvements can't just be uploaded into the XK-3c because the DSP can't do it. I think the engineering team assigned to the next generation XK-3/New B3 models are working hard on the next generation. It was explained to me once that the Hammond/Engineering group within H/S is pretty small. When H/S decides a product has been debugged/tweaked to the point it has reached its full potential it is considered finished. At that point the engineering team is assigned to its next new product (possibly a Hammond model, possibly another new Suzuki product) and it moves on. H/S's position is it is more cost effective and productive in the long run to not tie up resources on miniscule tweaks to a product that has reached its technical limits.

Maybe as computing power increases and these instruments become less specialized in how they do what they do but can do much more of it the ability to update older products with next generation software will prove more worthwhile.

As always, these are my interpretations of what I was told and IMO, YMMV, Yada Yada Yada.

I'm reading this with great interest. As some of you know, my church bought an XK-3C when my XB-2 fried. I have unlimited access to it for both church, and gigs, but there are some gigs I'm reluctant to take it to, because it does not belong to me. For these I use VB3.

My wife suggested that I set up a separate savings account, and put a portion of my gig money toward the purchase of my own Hammond.

The question is, do I want to shell out for the XK-3C, go for an XK-1C, or an SK.

Decisions, decisions

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

For me the XK-1C is so small but perfect for the rig I have now. Despite what a lot of people bitched about with the XK-3C I liked the form factor to it and It did not bother me that much. I would like to see an updated version as the original XK-3C came out in 2008.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

My wife suggested that I set up a separate savings account, and put a portion of my gig money toward the purchase of my own Hammond.

The question is, do I want to shell out for the XK-3C, go for an XK-1C, or an SK.

Decisions, decisions

Lots of options, all good.

I'm reading this with great interest. As some of you know, my church bought an XK-3C when my XB-2 fried. I have unlimited access to it for both church, and gigs, but there are some gigs I'm reluctant to take it to, because it does not belong to me. For these I use VB3.

Decisions, decisions

All the options are good! Our household budget has gig proceeds alone going for gear. It's a good incentive!

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

As some of you know, my church bought an XK-3C when my XB-2 fried. I have unlimited access to it for both church, and gigs

I wish we had a Hammond at church. Unfortunately it's definitely not in the budget as they invested in a new video projector and replaced the computer running it this past summer.

I've mentioned this before but it still irks me: several years ago one of the ladies in our congregation offered to donate her Hammond organ to the church, but our worship leader turned her down. He had no idea what he was doing, but still... I wish I could have been consulted on the matter.

:rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• 1 month later...

Having a Mojo myself, I think your biggest debate would be not which clone is slightly better than the others, but whether you want a single or double manual.

A 2 manual organ is surprisingly hard to integrate into a setup with other keyboards, especially if the organ has controls on top and your other boards do too.

So answer that question first!

Moe

---

I think that we're so close to capturing the essence of a B3 with both of these boards that it's not "which sounds better?" but "which sounds closer to a certain flavor of B3?"

The XK-3c has emulations for several different B3's - dirty old road-worn chops to pristine units. Perhaps the SK2 does as well.

My point is that I don't think anyone has good enough ears to say that one sounds "more like a B3" than the other. I own two real Hammonds, and to my ears (through the same Leslie) my XK-3c sounds just like my A-105.

My advice is this: before shelling out $2K or better, play both, then decide which you like better.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

To me, the only advantage that the SK2 has over the XK3c is the weight.

The XK3c is much more authentic to the console Hammond experience. It has a superior keyboard, real drawbars (and three sets of them), correct positioning of switches, reverse preset keys, superior overdrive, and with the addition of the lower manual, a much more substantial appearance.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

To me, the only advantage that the SK2 has over the XK3c is the weight.

Cost may also come into the equation for many of us. Sweetwater has both the XK3c and SK2 at $2895. However, if you want that lower manual, you're going to have to find a further $1400 for the XK system lower manual. And it's still heavier, bulkier and more of a PITA to set up on stage.

But I think Moe has it right here with the OP having to settle the single/double manual question first up. I like my Mojo but it rarely gets out to gigs. Why? Because most of my jobs require sounds other than the Hammond and most also have about as much stage room as a downstairs toilet.

So I am now very much considering getting an SK1. I like the XK1c but the price differential in the UK makes it a no-brainer to get the SK61 - 1235UKP versus 1189UKP for the XK.

To the OP, if you looking to use your Hammond in an organ trio setting, or something else which requires ONLY Hammond, then get the SK2, or look at the Mojo.

If not, a single manual organ will serve your needs much better, and I'd go for the SK1. You may not "need" the extra sounds on a regular basis, but it's nice to build a bit of redundancy into the rig.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived