Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Xk3 or sk2

Dlrshort

To me, the only advantage that the SK2 has over the XK3c is the weight.

The XK3c is much more authentic to the console Hammond experience. It has a superior keyboard, real drawbars (and three sets of them), correct positioning of switches, reverse preset keys, superior overdrive, and with the addition of the lower manual, a much more substantial appearance.

Exactly and that is important to a lot of us that have played the real thing. I might still have mine if the motherboard had not got damaged.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OP doesn't mention how much experience he has in playing the 'real thing' but if the likes of Jim Alfredson can adapt to the SK set-up without too much trouble, I wouldn't have thought it that much of a stretch for other Hammond veterans.

Granted, the XK3c is much closer to a B3 layout than the SK/XK-1c but it's still not exactly the same - latch buttons instead of rockers for CV and percussion, three sets of drawbars instead of five, reverse keys with momentary touch instead of staying down. And if you've

The deciding factor in the end is how much you want to spend and how much weight you're willing to carry in the name of 'authenticity'.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Aidan I was never worried about the weight, more worried about damaging the wood ends. Problem is the XK-3C had three different price changes since 2008 when it came out.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yeah, Jason, definitely pretty vulnerable those ends - I don't think I ever saw an XK3/c out of the shop which wasn't a bit battle-scarred. Out of interest, are those on the XK1-c any more robust?

Yeah I managed to keep mine up pretty well but it took some idiot sitting in at a wedding trying to show off to some girls to dent it. I was pissed. The XK-1C feels very cheap to me. The action is OK. I just feel its kind of fragile. I have it up for sale for financial reasons, medical bills. Its here on the forum in the classifieds.

noblevibes.com

I should also mention if the op does care for other non/Hammond sounds, then the SK would certainly hold an advantage. But I am purely a Hammond guy, so i really don't consider these things.

I played an SK2 at a gig a few months ago and enjoyed it. But I would rather play an Xk3c with lower manual. Just easier and more natural for me.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Ive never played an Xk3c, only the Sk2, which is my main axe, but Im really starting to miss a second set of drawbars for the lower or to switch to a different set during a song. The only thing stopping me from a used Xk3c right now, is the weight. The Sk2 is a dream to lug around, and a huge sound from such a little keyboard. Wonder what NAMM will bring ? As much as I like the Sk2, the extra sounds arn't doing it for me, so Im thinking of going the 88 key piano type board on bottom, maybe an xk3c, or xk1c on top...and use the Sk2 for the gigs I play entirely organ on.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Ive never played an Xk3c, only the Sk2, which is my main axe, but Im really starting to miss a second set of drawbars for the lower or to switch to a different set during a song. The only thing stopping me from a used Xk3c right now, is the weight. The Sk2 is a dream to lug around, and a huge sound from such a little keyboard. Wonder what NAMM will bring ? As much as I like the Sk2, the extra sounds arn't doing it for me, so Im thinking of going the 88 key piano type board on bottom, maybe an xk3c, or xk1c on top...and use the Sk2 for the gigs I play entirely organ on.

I agree about the extra sounds in the SK's. They don't cut it for me either. But I am used to motif quality pianos, strings, etc. It all depends on what your needs and expectations are.

Hammond has never been too accomplished with their non Hammond sounds. Funky loop points, noisy samples, weak EP's, etc. That's why you see a lot of SK artists with second keyboards... kind of defeats the purpose.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

All I know is if they came out with a really well thought out XK system again it could really be good.

Just update the os a little bit and change out the metal chassis for something lighter. Lose 10 pounds and its there. lose 15 pounds and its really there.

FunMachine.

All I know is if they came out with a really well thought out XK system again it could really be good.

Just update the os a little bit and change out the metal chassis for something lighter. Lose 10 pounds and its there. lose 15 pounds and its really there.

I agree. But I don't think it will happen. Hammond seems to be setting in on these universal parts, draw faders, keyboard, etc. I just hope I am wrong.

Yeah I mean they did so well since 2004 with the XK3 series I would think they would want to capitalize on that. Maybe integrate ventilator technology in it also.

noblevibes.com

From what I've heard in other exchanges here, Hammond have zero interest in the Vent, except as a competitor to their own Leslie stomp box.

2014 COULD be the year we see a successor to the XK3c but don't hold your breath.

The arrival of the SK models at cheaper price points and lower weights, if anything, has probably further marginalised the audience for a new XK system - just as you won't see Hammond updating the New B3 every couple of years, for the same reason.

I'm sure they have some sort of development plan for both the New B3 and XK system. Hammond needs these totems to mentally connect prospective buyers of the cheaper/lighter options with their 'heritage'. It's just that those development cycles are likely to run at a slower pace with the SK series and its derivatives in place.

Yeah I managed to keep mine up pretty well but it took some idiot sitting in at a wedding trying to show off to some girls to dent it. I was pissed. The XK-1C feels very cheap to me. The action is OK. I just feel its kind of fragile. I have it up for sale for financial reasons, medical bills. Its here on the forum in the classifieds.

I got the bass player in the band (who is a luthier) to Tolex the XK3c end panels after the first ding ( did it myself :()

Works a treat!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I like to adjust the nonactive drawbars for the next registration. Having only one set of drawbaws would suck for me. If I could not have my XK3 I would want the Mojo or Nord.

I like the leslie socket also.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I like to adjust the nonactive drawbars for the next registration. Having only one set of drawbaws would suck for me. If I could not have my XK3 I would want the Mojo or Nord.

I like the leslie socket also.

That's exactly what I miss having the Sk2. I also adjust the drawbars on the fly on both manuals, gets a bit harder doing it with only 1 set.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

+1.

The problem is when people accept these compromises and find ways to "work around" them. Before you know it, there will be no organs left with real drawbars, multiple sets of drawbars, preset keys, decent action, etc.

Oh well, guess I will have to hang on to my Hammonds for a while longer.

Once you're dead, Dave, it won't be an issue any longer for you, right? :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived