Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 - first impressions

dazzjazz

Dave Ferris might have a hard time selling that Nord on the Garage Sale if he keeps on telling us how much he hates it.

Generally though a lot of us are trying to find gear that meets our expectations based on something else that we have become very used to hearing.

My issues with digital pianos are somewhat different than Dave's. I find that many of them are hard to amplify, and that the tonal character changes dramatically the louder we are forced to turn them up.

If what you are used to is a late model Steinway acoustic I can imagine that some of these digital pianos are going to appear to be lacking.

It reminds me of the story I heard about ( jazz pianist) Hal Galper dumping his Fender Rhodes into the Hudson River. It might be true because as I recall I read about it in an article that Hal wrote.

I haven't seen or heard a CP4 yet but my hope is that it sets a standard for at least the next 5 years or so, and that it would be adequate for most of us.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It reminds me of the story I heard about ( jazz pianist) Hal Galper dumping his Fender Rhodes into the Hudson River. It might be true because as I recall I read about it in an article that Hal wrote.

Yeah it's true. He told me that in an email exchange I had with him years back. I have a two of his LPs from 1971 and 1972. Great fusion in a different direction to most... a few cuts even sound contemporary for today.

He was big on the Rhodes thru Leslie sound... gave up on the Rhodes mainly because he felt he wasn't making his mark like Joe Z, George, Chick and Herbie... and it was making his acoustic piano playing worse...

He did play a Rhodes a few times in the 80s I believe...

Dave Ferris might have a hard time selling that Nord on the Garage Sale if he keeps on telling us how much he hates it.

:rolleyes:

"...it sounds very detailed and realistic in other registers, and for other types of playing it really works great."

Hardly hate.

I've just come back from a hands-on demo of a CP4 which just arrived at a retailer's the other day.

Everything checks out to my hands & ears with the good stuff & mediocrities previously reported.

However, one disconcerting factor showed up within 30 seconds: That is when you're in split mode, the left side (bass, let's say) doesn't sustain using the sustain pedal. This is a major deal-breaker for me unless it's programmable. I've downloaded and gone through both the Owner's and Reference Manuals, and nowhere can I find where you can edit the function of the sustain pedal to affect BOTH sides of a split.

Most of Yamaha's lower level keyboards have split sustain as a default. They screwed this up with the P200/250 but rectified it with a user-programmable function in the P300.

Can someone verify if you can, or cannot set this up on the CP4?

Here for the gear.

I don't think in any of the dozens of posts I've made on both the NP88& NP2 over the last two years have I ever used the word *hate*. :rolleyes:

If I *hated* it I wouldn't have said:

"I can't remember the exact sample I was using but pretty sure it either the XL Fazioli or XL Bright Grand. It's a shame because,yes, it sounds very detailed and realistic in other registers, and for other types of playing it really works great."

If I really *hated* it I wouldn't still be playing *a Nord piano* after two years. :idk

There are many things I *hate*-- pop culture for starters. Almost all of today's drivel that passes for "music'. How about the entire subset of cretins masquerading as "artists" that produce this cr*p !. Nord pianos...nah, not even close. But I digress. :D

Without a doubt I've been very vocal about its shortcomings, specifically with the Fatar action and the fact the samples do thin out in higher registers. And basically the sound is not even. Anyone who comes from a jazz or classical acoustic piano background I think has the same issues with it.

I've used it all this time because I've felt it was the best option with sound/weight/ playability and build quality figured into the equation. Now the CP4 has come on the scene, this is a definite improvement for me.

On the other hand, I can still make plenty of good music with the NP2 and am really in no hurry to let it go. On occasions when I play just acoustic, I've often schlepped the Nord just for the cool rhodes and wurlis. It adds a nice color change and breaks things up sonically.

I realize Clavia is a smaller niche company that doesn't have the resources of a Yamaha. I think Tomas & co. are doing an outstanding job overall in addressing musician's needs within the budget they have to work with for new product releases. I think their acoustic pianos will continually improve as well. They read these forums and I'm pretty sure any new piano samples they develop will take all musician criticisms into consideration. Even though I know that guys like me aren't their target market customer. ;) I do however feel they will always be handcuffed using Fatar actions. No matter how good they get their samples to sound, you'll still have to deal with the lower quality action.

My apologies here..... "hate" is my interpretation. I just didn't get the impression you were exactly in love with the Nord either - pointing out flaws in the above video etc.etc. ( and also in the above post regarding the action).

But yeah, there has been mention of the shortcomings a few times.Once again I think people will hear differences depending on what they are listening through.

I have only heard the Nord stuff in shops and a couple times at NAMM and to be honest, I was always confused regarding which sample I should really be hearing.

Sometimes I would hear certain samples and not really care for them but this happens with Yamaha and Roland too. The Nord Stage confuses the hell out of me trying to find the good piano samples.

I've just come back from a hands-on demo of a CP4 which just arrived at a retailer's the other day.

Everything checks out to my hands & ears with the good stuff & mediocrities previously reported.

However, one disconcerting factor showed up within 30 seconds: That is when you're in split mode, the left side (bass, let's say) doesn't sustain using the sustain pedal. This is a major deal-breaker for me unless it's programmable. I've downloaded and gone through both the Owner's and Reference Manuals, and nowhere can I find where you can edit the function of the sustain pedal to affect BOTH sides of a split.

Most of Yamaha's lower level keyboards have split sustain as a default. They screwed this up with the P200/250 but rectified it with a user-programmable function in the P300.

Can someone verify if you can, or cannot set this up on the CP4?

It is absolutely programmable. The parameter is located in the "Receive Switch" page under "Part" edit (last page) and would be the FS parameter (on/off) for the "Split" part.

Thank you!

:thu:

Here for the gear.

It is absolutely programmable. The parameter is located in the "Receive Switch" page under "Part" edit (last page) and would be the FS parameter (on/off) for the "Split" part.

You beat me to it. I just got home from playing my first gig with my CP4, jazz duo with female vocalist. I was surprised when the pedal didn't work. I eventually found what you described above. The "Receive Switch" was not where I would have logically looked for it, but I was glad to find it. BTW, that acoustic bass patch is killer. I know we can justify anything, but the action on the CP4 is outstanding.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Is it loud action, as in does it bottom out and make you wanna turn up the volume to kill the noise? I practice in a small room using either monitors or open headphones and the 'klonking' from my Roland RD300NX is killing me!

Yamaha CP88, EV zxa1

There are many things I *hate*-- pop culture for starters. Almost all of today's drivel that passes for "music'. How about the entire subset of cretins masquerading as "artists" that produce this cr*p !

:laugh:

:thu:

A.C.

Got my CP4 pre-ordered over here in the UK so should have it within the next few weeks. I know it comes with one FC3 foot pedal, but I will ideally want another so I can have both soft and sustain pedals. Am I best getting another FC3 (I'd like to have a matching unit really) or is there a better unit that contains two pedals, whilst still supporting half-damper like the FC3?
Chris

I don't get it. I want to have the sustain work on the right hand side of a split not on the bass in the left hand....

Purely for style. Depending on the situation I'll think of my left hand as a bass and play it as a bassist does, and that's the axis of everything. If you do any stride at all you'll get it.

Pedaling is the key.

Here for the gear.

The Nord in the Dave Ferris live video, how is it being amplified?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

For the past two years or so, I've been going into a JMK Audio JM-110 di/pre then to a pair of RCF TT08A hi-def speakers.

I will say though with the acoustical combination of the glass window backdrop and tile floors in this particular coffee shop, I don't think my $3500 system fares all that much better then a pair of KC-350s. But that's probably going a little too far. But yeah, brutal acoustics in this place ! Better designed for drinking coffee and reading a book then playing music .

Just got home from trio gig. CP4 into two DXR8s.

First of all, the five band EQ is really powerful. Mistakenly started evening with the high eq tapped down a bit (by accident during setting up) and the top octave was invisible. Quickly corrected that and dialed back on reverb. Switched LF setting on DXRs. Used the first CFX performance all evening.

End result - wow - the CP4s action is just so natural-feeling, allowed me to really dig in when called for, play more fluidly and smoothly, just a joy to play. Black/white upgrade from my PX3, which I'd gigged to death.

Last night gigged on a Kawai house upright (was in good condition) for five gorgeous, incredible female singers in San Jose - and it reminded me how a decent acoustic provides so much dynamic range and nuance. The CP4 is a different beast - a digital to be sure - but the best DP I've gigged yet.

Tomorrow gigging the CP4 for my favorite singer I've ever worked with - I'm totally smitten - and this unit makes me feel more confident in stretching out to take risks and say things.

[quote=

Tomorrow gigging the CP4 for my favorite singer I've ever worked with - I'm totally smitten - and this unit makes me feel more confident in stretching out to take risks and say things.

Smitten with the keyboard, or with the singer? :):)

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I still like the CP1 as well Z. That thing just had/has a "sound". :cool: And it was fatter sounding then the CP5. Kicking myself that I didn't jump on an offer from a guy on piano world a few years back. He was asking $2500 for basically a barely used at home CP1. I might have been able to get it for even less had I pushed it. Had the dough at the time but needed some good speakers more as I already had the CP5...

Archived