Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 - first impressions

dazzjazz

Just ordered mine! Thanks to all for the informative reviews.

Neil, be sure to post your thoughts on not only the sounds, but the UI, always Yamaha's nemesis.

I already have mine and share you thoughts regarding the UI. I can tell you it is very easy to use "on the fly", unlike any other Yamaha I have ever owned.Just about everything has a push button. Big improvement.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave, how realistic/authentic are the clavinet sounds?

Pretty great, actually. Nice variety, too - mono, stereo, full, thin, mute, chorus, wah...

Really? Based on my quick in-store demo, I found them to be one of the weaker points. I wasn't impressed with the realism, plus they suffered from the typical rompler problem of responding too slow on staccato notes -- you can't get them short enough for those quick snaps and pops. As always, YMMV...

I also feel that the Clavinets are pretty weak and suspect that Yamaha haven't updated the samples since my old P200. I did however, spend some time and reprogrammed the wah clav patch. I reduced the range of frequencies in which the auto-wah operated. It sounds much better, especially when I added some key off noise. I also changed the amp sim to a fender twin with just a touch of overdrive.

At least it's now useable!! If I get a chance I'll post a demo of it.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

While the UI is better than other Yamaha's, it's still a bit weird I'm sorry to say.

I now understand the difference between regular voice mode and performance mode. I'm not sure why it needs to be so cryptic.

The other night on the gig I switched between voice mode and performance mode, and a really strange thing happened - the samples for a Rhodes patch we're replaced by acoustic piano. I fixed it by selecting another sound then going back to the one I originally wanted. Very, very weird.

Also, the flashing red light of performance direct select is really annoying! is this really necessary? I hope Yamaha can change this with a firmware update.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Been following this thread and considering purchasing a CP4 and have a couple questions for you guys who have the CP4.

You are all giving, by and large, very good reviews to the CP4. But, is it a really great keyboard? Do you absolutely love it? On a scale of 1-10, how do you rate it and why.

I am using a Casio PX-5S and only want the CP4 if it is a significant upgrade on AP's, EP's.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Based on my quick in-store demo, I found them to be one of the weaker points.

Hmmm. The organs were the bank I felt was the least impressive of the electro mechanical set...but then again, I usually have a hard time connecting with organs on a hammer action keybed.

I wasn't impressed with the realism, plus they suffered from the typical rompler problem of responding too slow on staccato notes -- you can't get them short enough for those quick snaps and pops. As always, YMMV...

Well, yeah...but as you pointed out - what ROMpler doesn't suffer from that? Same with organs, for that matter.... :idk:

...and I still think they're quite playable....but then again, as you say - YMMV. That's why there's blondes, brunettes and redheads. :D

Brother Dazz - you really found the ones out of the box unusable? That's pretty strong....They didn't kill me like the APs and EPs....but I didn't have a problem playing on them.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Not unusable but definitely not up to the very high standard of the APs and EPs. What I've edited sounds a lot more like a D6. Yamaha could have spent a couple of days sampling a good D6 instead of what I strongly suspect is recycled samples. No matter, it's a great stage piano.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Well, yeah...but as you pointed out - what ROMpler doesn't suffer from that?

Off the top of my head: the SK-1, Krome, VR-09, SV-1, and Nord Electro/Stage/Piano all do a much better job with that, and those are just the ones I can speak of from recent personal experience. It's certainly not a deal-breaker, since I wouldn't be trying to play any kind of "serious" Clav from a weighted board anyway. But I stand by being surprised and disappointed that Yamaha would be that far behind the curve on a longstanding problem, with a pretty essential b&b sound, that has been addressed and solved by others.

Dazz, you said had to change the wah and amp sim to get it to sound "right" - not sure what that has to do with the sample set...?

...and brother Funk - I thought they snapped and popped just fine...but then again, I don't have a D6 to compare them to, and admittedly have never owned one...so maybe it's just my inexperience with the real thing talking here....and, of course, adjectives and musical instruments can be so subjective... :D

Re: updating samples - whether they did or not, I have no idea...but I'd figure a clav sample set (especially the all-important attack segment) would be pretty short, so I'm not sure what a bigger sample (I assume that's what you're after) would achieve...? Seems to me that getting the clav sound right is more about programming than sampling.

FWIW, right now, I use my Electro and PC3 both for clav live. Each has a different sound, and I like them both just fine. I do tend to lean on the Electro more because of the wider variety of filter and pickup options it presents...but the PC3 has the Superstition clav sound down. :thu:

dB

I'm guessing the CP4 has the Motif Clavs? I have to agree with FunkKeyStuff, they're weak. But I also wouldn't want to play Clavs from the CP4's action. And I also don't expect great Clavs from a stage piano.

I guess the bottom line is that you guys are more particular than I am when it comes to clav sounds. If I had to play the CP4 (or MOTIF) clavs during a gig, I'd be fine with that...heck, I was happy with the Alesis QS Clavitube patch for a long time. I still use it in the studio here and there....

I also wouldn't want to play Clavs from the CP4's action. And I also don't expect great Clavs from a stage piano.

Exactly. Same with the organ sounds....

...although I do really like playing big fat synth brass sounds and strings on weighted keys. Go figure.... :idk:

dB

...although I do really like playing big fat synth brass sounds and strings on weighted keys. Go figure.... :idk:

Do you feel like you get better articulation with weighted keys? Or is it just the enjoyment of the physical/"dig in" factor?

In ELP(owell)'s "Touch And Go" video, I think Keith plays all the synth and string parts on weighted boards. Those sounds have balls... Makes sense to me! :thu: Clavs, not so much. ;)

Do you feel like you get better articulation with weighted keys? Or is it just the enjoyment of the physical/"dig in" factor?

In ELP(owell)'s "Touch And Go" video, I think Keith plays all the synth and string parts on weighted boards. Those sounds have balls... Makes sense to me! :thu: Clavs, not so much. ;)

I prefer to use weighted keyboards on some non-keyboard sounds; usually sounds that have some "thunk" that is dependent on velocity, e.g. Acoustic bass. I also find that I have better control over dynamic range (particularly in the softer range) with a weighted keyboard.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Perhaps I haven't articulated my thoughts clearly.

I think the factory Clav patches in the CP4 are substandard but yes you can use them. Do I think they sound anything like the D6 I used to own? Not at all. That's why in my first comment I said they sounded like a harpsichord. I was able to edit wah and amp sim parameters to get the sound closer to what I think it should sound like. Having owned Yamaha digital pianos for over a decade now (P200, CP33) I feel somewhat qualified to critique the sounds as I've used these boards a lot. The sample set sounds exactly like what I remember from these boards, so I am disappointed that Yamaha neglected to update them. However it's not that big a deal for me. I bought this primarily for APs and EPs and this board is absolutely stellar in that regard, as I've already said. I also posted a demo of me playing the CFX sample as I found it particularly inspiring and wanted to share that.

Perhaps I'm wrong Dave but I feel like you're trying to shut down any less than positive views. I've already written so many positive points about the CP4, for the benefits of all forum members. Would I recommend others buy one? Hell yes - the bang for buck factor is enormous. Sure I've written about some UI anomalies too, but isn't that what Internet forums are all about?

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Hi everyone,

- I have been looking at changing my Nord Piano 2 HA88 and I was just wondering if anyone had a chance to play on both instruments at this point in time and if possible give me the good and bad point of the CP4 versus the NP2.

- I am in Sydney, Australia, does anyone knows where I can try a Yamaha CP4 right now ...?

A few words about me, I play mainly at home (Eastern Suburbs of Sydney), jazz/latin, some pop/rock/new age but I am not classically trained (Learned organ in the 70's for a few years and 6 month of Piano end of the 60's...!!!)

I have been back into keyboards since early 90's and I have a little studio setup at home. I took a few short courses in keyboard and Jazz improvisation at the Conservatorium of music in Sydney in 2011 and that's about it.

I find the action on the NP2 to be slightly on the light side the KRONOS is OK but it is not really a piano as such. At one stage I owned a Roland RD700GX and I found the action to be a little bit too hard for me.

We own a Kawai K3 as well but I don't play much on that instrument, my kid does...!!!

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers.

Nord Piano 2 HA88

Korg Kronos 88

Yamaha Tyros 4

Kawai K3

- I am in Sydney, Australia, does anyone knows where I can try a Yamaha CP4 right now ...?
The guy directly above you is in Sydney. Maybe he can help? :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Perhaps I'm wrong Dave but I feel like you're trying to shut down any less than positive views.
dB? No way. He's just discussing differing opinions.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Good question!

There's elements of both....but I think it's more the latter on the synth brass, and the former on the synth strings, if that makes sense.

dB

Perhaps I'm wrong Dave but I feel like you're trying to shut down any less than positive views.
dB? No way. He's just discussing differing opinions.

Joe's right. I wouldn't be picking on the organs if I was trying to shut down less than positive views....and I called out a few other things that I didn't love in my review.

As I said earlier - I'm guessing I'm just more used to ROMpler clavs because of my lack of experience with the real thing. The fact that you're gauging it against the D6 you used to own kinda confirms that - as I also mentioned, I've never owned one. :idk:

dB

Had my cp4 for two weeks now and my first gig with it Friday, a duo of keys and vocals at a private party. Played it through a pair of k8s and thought it sounded fine and was much easier to carry in and out than my cp5. I used a grand total of three sounds in the four hour (with breaks) gig: the first cfx piano, a pad and the excellent acoustic bass sound. That is a killer bass sound. I am very happy.

However: while the Rhodes and other eps good really good this is not a motif. The brass sounds ok but what happened to the sweet flute patch that was my go to sound for these kinds of gigs. Oh well. I still really like it, let's see how it does this holiday season

I wouldn't expect that this would be a Motif.

For the people who have these, how do you like the EP's and organ sounds?

I don't have high expectations for the organ, as Yamaha always seems to downplay their importance. It's too bad you can't get a reasonably good clone engine from a board at this price in ( almost) 2014.

Organ sounds are not what this board is about. It's a digital piano, first and foremost. The Electro and SK1 are totally different creatures with different emphasis.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

What I am saying is.... out of 300 or so user sounds, can't we get a couple of usable organ patches??

I had a P-200 awhile back, and the organ was kind of neat. You could program drawbars and percussion. It was actually fairly useful as a lower manual type thing. The leslie sim was fairly cool too. Not phasey, just kind of nice.

I used it a lot when I had the P-200.

I hope I don't sound bitchy, as I am very happy that Yamaha has given us the AP's and EP's in a reasonable weight. I am looking forward to hearing it

Archived