Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's Halloween avatar time again.

Done. Unfortunately, I won't be the grim reaper for Halloween this year. I'll be in Japan...and dressing up in costume might disturb my colleagues at Casio headquarters.

That's a drag... hey... dress up in drag!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I've heard that before and get the joke and think it's funny, except that it always struck me that it seems like it should be 1 type of people in the world... one type 0, then second type 1.

10 in binary = 3 in decimal (2^1 + 2^0 = 2+1 = 3).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

Last chance to get in on the fun!

(Not really, but kind of silly to join in after today, eh?)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've heard that before and get the joke and think it's funny, except that it always struck me that it seems like it should be 1 type of people in the world... one type 0, then second type 1.

That's not right, but binary is confusing. 10 in binary is 2 in decimal. 11 in binary is 3. 1 in binary is 1 in dec. You are confused as to what the 1s and 0s mean....

1 means on for that digit

0 means off for it

... 2^4 2^3 2^2 2^1 2^0

but the 1 means include that digit, and the 0 means -don't-.

So for 10, the only digit turned on is 2^1 ; which is 2. I have seen it expanded like: 0010 in bin = 0*(2^3) + 0*(2^2) + 1*(2^1) + 0*(2^0) = 0 + 0 + 2 + 0 = 2

another example. 10011 in binary is 1*(2^4) + 0*(2^3) + 0*(2^2) + 1*(2^1) + 1*(2^0) = 16 + 2 + 1 = 19.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Last chance to get in on the fun!

(Not really, but kind of silly to join in after today, eh?)

So Joe, newbie question here. Do we all have to return to our normal, boring, avatars tomorrow? :confused:

I was trying to remember what happened in previous years. I guess people changed them back whenever they got a round tuit. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's not right, but binary is confusing.

I guess it's the difference between counting and numerical value. Example, 128 patches that can be counted 0-127, or 1-128. Makes sense that 00 doesn't count when counting from that perspective. You're right, my confusion comes from more of my programing experience with choices of TRUE/FALSE....1 or 0, 2 choices.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.