Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bands/Artists that played mostly covers (interpretations)

ChiefDanG

Somebody (Keith Richards?) once said something like-"it's hard to write songs when Chuck Berry has written them all already".

I remember (old fart alert) loving Three Dog Night and being mildly shocked that they didn't write any of their hits. I imagine you jazzers and blues guys could fill pages of artists/bands that cover, interpret, re-harm, improvise over, or just use as an excuse to solo over other people's songs. But pop/rock was largely a singer-songwriter thing.

My favorite people that did (mostly) covers:

Three Dog Night

Linda Ronstadt

Blood,Sweat,& Tears

Beau Brummels. (Great vox & they were an actual band)

Who else? Get me out of the 60s !!

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who else? Get me out of the 60s !!

Well, as far as the 70's go, The Carpenters come to mind.

The Carpenters were a guilty pleasure of mine. I loved her voice she did pick out some excellent songs to do. BTW, they were the key to me winning a contest with my drummer brother - naming bands that had a female drummer but all male otherwise.

UB40 does. They do wicked covers in Reggae which is not always an easy thing to do.

You got it in before I could :D Before I joined my current UB40/reggae band I had always thought UB40 had wrote the songs themselves (never really delved much into this genre) I was surprised to find out most are covers.

Yamaha MOX8, Roland VK8, LESLIE HL822 Woop woop!!!! and a MBP running PT10 and Omnisphere. My Blog.

Three Dog Night.

And

Vanilla Fudge

And

Deep Purple (mark I)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Dread Zeppelin does all cover music (very original covers though...).

The Flaming Lips did an entire concert around a cover of Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side Of The Moon".

Many artists like Seal, Michael Bolton and Michael McDonald have done entire Motown tribute (cover) albums while other artists like Fourplay have done covers of one famous song (Sting's "Fields of Gold").

Three Dog Night.

And

Vanilla Fudge

And

Deep Purple (mark I)

+1

IIRC, VF's first album came out the same time as Sgt.Pepper, and I was more excited about listening to that than the Fab Four's latest.

And DP? Their first 3 albums served as my bible of Rock Organ! "Kentucky Woman" "hush""Hey Joe""Help".......but mostly covers?

Santana (Evil Ways, Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va, Dealer, Well Alright, among others).

Led Zeppelin.

Grateful Dead.

Van Halen (You Really Got Me; Dancin In The Streets; Pretty Woman; Youre No Good; Where Have All The Good Times Gone)

Rolling Stones.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Santana (Evil Ways, Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va, Dealer, Well Alright, among others).

Led Zeppelin.

Grateful Dead.

Van Halen (You Really Got Me; Dancin In The Streets; Pretty Woman; Youre No Good; Where Have All The Good Times Gone)

Rolling Stones.

Santana, Dead, VH - sure, especially since a lot of their hits were covers. I'm sure fans of these bands would point out they wrote a lot of music also.

Stones? Nah - 1 st album maybe, but very much a Jagger/Richards band thereafter.

Zep? Even including stolen material and outright covers, they are mostly Page/Plant songs.

There are very few successful cover bands out there that are doing arenas et rest. Most of the bands either write their songs or have songwriters writing unique songs for them.

It's not so hard to write songs, btw.

Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger and the Trinity played mostly covers. The "Streetnoise" album had a couple originals, but most of it was covers. Great stuff though. What a wonderful combo of her voice and his playing. Was lucky to have seen them perform. Wow !

+1

I had the Brian Auger album with Listen Here, using 3 drummers, and played it to death. There was also a Sly Stone song on there too. That album inspired me to look into other Auger stuff, and now you are inspiring me to more Auger/Trinity into my digital world - thanks.

There are very few successful cover bands out there that are doing arenas et rest. Most of the bands either write their songs or have songwriters writing unique songs for them.

It's not so hard to write songs, btw.

Agree! That's why I view someone like the Monkees as a 25-piece self-contained band doing original material. They had Boyce/Hart, Neil Diamond, studio and stage musicians, singers, etc. all a part of the Monkees.

Yes, it's not so hard to write songs. But to write GOOD or even GREAT songs?

Well, as far as the 70's go, The Carpenters come to mind.

The Carpenters were a guilty pleasure of mine. I loved her voice she did pick out some excellent songs to do.

+1

My wife and I watched the Carpenters documentary on PBS several years back.

Lots of insight into how they got started, rigors of touring, and of course what eventually happened with Karen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/Close_to_You-_Remembering_the_Carpenters.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Van Halen did a few covers early on, but I think they're much more widely known for all their original stuff. You've got hits like Jump, Runnin' with the Devil, Panama, Hot for Teacher, Jamie's Crying, Right Now, etc. All of those were probably much bigger hits than any covers they did, and I'm sure I'm even missing a bunch. They're just a band did some covers, not a "mostly covers" band.

Same with the Grateful Dead. Sure, they were known for playing a number of covers at their live shows, some of which became almost signature Dead tunes, like Not Fade Away and Good Lovin', but they also played mostly original stuff, and didn't record any studio versions of covers that I can think of. When I think of the Grateful Dead, I think of the songwriting duo of Garcia and Hunter. And, of course, Weir wrote a lot of Dead tunes too.

Seems there are a lot of country singers who don't write (all) their own songs.

In fact, MOST country artists/stars are not/were not writers. I mean why go thru the trouble when there's a whole city full of them all pushing their tunes on you and your label, and the label pushing tunes on their artists. Willie, Waylon, etal all became "outlaws"in country music partly because they sang their own songs and insisted they record them their way, instead of how their labels wanted to.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Seems there are a lot of country singers who don't write (all) their own songs.

In fact, MOST country artists/stars are not/were not writers.

Most RnB and soul artists too. Those are genres that are more producer driven, more about the "sound", and more often than not more about the singer, not a band. When you get into music that is about a band, things tend to get more original because it is a group, not just a singer. There aren't a ton of rock singers who were solely known as their name, sans band.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

One of my favorites....

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Having your songs written by somebody else is little different than playing a cover though. In those cases, the song didn't officially "exist" previously (except probably in demo form). There's a term for this that's escaping me at the moment, but the performer usually is granted the exclusive legal right to create the first "version" of the song. This is to ensure that a songwriter doesn't give a song to one artist, then turn around and sell the same song to another artist.

When you "cover" a song, it implies that there's an established version of the song already in existence.

and maybe my favorite TDN cover...and a KILLER performance of it...

Just met Chuck Negron last week... very nice guy..

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBo8bVzsYCA

Archived