Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

I'm happy to find out from my local GC that they plan to stock these. I'm hoping to buy a PX-5S and MOX8, and return the one I don't prefer, if they'll go for that.

The PX-5S is smaller, lighter, and less expensive, so it's the one the MOX would have to beat. Mostly it'll be up to which piano I prefer; I think either one covers my other needs well enough.

Whichever you end up with, what second keyboard would you likely pair it with?

What I'm thinking is, even if you like the MOX piano better than the PX5S, you might have access to another piano you like in your second board, that you could drive from the Casio. There's also the ergonomic variable, in that the MOX8 puts your second board farther away from your first, compared to using the Casio.

(Though if this board is for a one-board scenario, of course, none of that matters.)

NE2, so nope, won't be using the piano from the bottom board!

The narrow top panel of the PX5S is indeed a plus, as I do like to get the keyboards close. Assuming I like the action, I would expect it to serve for a good long time as controller even if I replace the piano sound or go back to using a laptop. I don't trade gear frequently and keep the good stuff for a decade or more.

Ideally, I'd have my weighted 88 below, NE3/61 or NE4/6161 above, plus an NE HP for practice and short gigs. Maybe in a few years prices on used ones will come down enough to make that feasible!

I'm looking forward to how small & light a PX5S + NE2 rig would be. I'll probably also get a better stand to replace my two X stands; ether a Z71 or 18880. Too bad they're not cheap, but they're worth the cost.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dbl post

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Shameless bump, but this was pretty fun. My iPod decided to play this song yesterday so I had to give it a try on the PX-5S.

Pink Floyd's On the Run. One Arpeggiator is in use for the main note pattern and simultaneously doing the hi-hat on the same zone, nothing else is sequenced. This is two zones on the PX-5S with different elements on different keys. All sounds are raw waveforms with pink noise used for the high hats and mixed in with the "helicopter".

Not bad for a "piano". ;)

Wow! That was awesome!!! Tutorial coming on how to do this?

Now if you can get it to sound like Clare Torry's voice in "Great Gig In The Sky"...

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

I'm happy to find out from my local GC that they plan to stock these. I'm hoping to buy a PX-5S and MOX8, and return the one I don't prefer, if they'll go for that.

The PX-5S is smaller, lighter, and less expensive, so it's the one the MOX would have to beat. Mostly it'll be up to which piano I prefer; I think either one covers my other needs well enough.

I own the mox..tried the 350 again yesterday for the 3rd time. The 350 feels better than all previous Casio's I have tried. The textured keys feel less plastiky than the previous models and much less so than the mox. Trying these more for action than tone, as I use modules quite often. Comparing the 350 and the mox? The mox becomes very tiresome to play. Yamaha, I feel, by taking whatever route they did w/their actions took a wrong turn somewhere, at least w/the mox. All subjective of course.. The way it looks at this point is I may be switching to the Privia soon, but will have to try it yet again.

Does anyone here use the Privia's w/modules and if so, how do they play?

I practice at home with a Roland BK-7M and my PX-330 works well!

I prefer the Roland Natural Piano over the CASIO and the EP is way better. I have also used it with my Sonic Cell and Radias, never had any issues.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Casio Privia (350 and 150) have got the best actions.

Put those new EP sounds in there and improve the ADSR on Piano 1 and they will have the best digital pianos ever!

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Does anyone know if a Korg sustain pedal or a Roland sus pedal will work with the PX5s (or 350) or will the PX adapt to either pedal?

I think Martin posted here some time ago a posting where he said that PX-5S will even figure out the polarity and adjust to the polarity settings which is imho cool.

Hopefully it's "normally open" but on power up if it sees the switch closed it'll switch to "normally closed". I also remember Martin posting that it would sense.

I'd like to know why any manufacturer used normally closed to begin with. I know 3 good reasons for normally open and none for normally closed.

Hopefully it's "normally open" but on power up if it sees the switch closed it'll switch to "normally closed". I also remember Martin posting that it would sense.

I'd like to know why any manufacturer used normally closed to begin with. I know 3 good reasons for normally open and none for normally closed.

Maybe the reason is to get keyboard players confused about a constant sustain tone trying to isolate it until they figure out it's the polarity of the sustain pedal...

Anyway, this is me thinks a big-endian/small-endian debate, in case you know the story from Gulliver's Travels. Similar to the debates about computer architecture digital positions of bits.

The PX-5S will auto detect the pedal when it is turned on so any brand of pedal can be used.

Footswitch operation can be programmed to function backwards if you want too. ;-)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The PX-5S will auto detect the pedal when it is turned on so any brand of pedal can be used.
Thanks -- that means that if you have a normally-open pedal, you don't have to plug it in before you power up the Privia.

Normally-closed pedals are for people who prefer little-endian computing.

Wow what a long thread. Man I dissapear from here for a long time, trying not to post and what sucks me back in is of coarse Casio.

This is looking interesting. Gotta check this out when it hits our shores, undoubtably what is $1000 in your woods will be $1500 here [yet our dollar is as strong as yours]..sucks big time.

But I bi-passed the PX3 having earlier purchased a PX330. Looking for better implementing of zoning than the PX3...hopefully this has it.

I laugh at all the talk about batteries, music stands and speakers...sure I like it too but it wasnt long ago when being one of the first proponents of Privias on here with my PX300 I got laughed at so much just for owning a "plastic casio"...and NOW the very things people laughed at about the casios back then, were these type of features that are now being specifically asked for [ironically I didnt need these features back then but grew to accept them, then came to miss them on other boards].. I love the inbuilt speakers after owning them [they add hardly any weight], these are the most usable of those features.

But having said that I dont think this board needs them..and I will happily do without if the zoning is good.

I even retro fitted batteries on my PX300 [of coarse they dont have them like other Privias till now].....it was simple just use some radio control car cells linked into a battery and solder a loom to the + / - ends and there you go perfect portable batteries that coudnt leak into the machine..and only ran it on 7.2 volt standard Radio Control Batteries [because I had oodles from racing them and having a shop]. You got heaps of use before going flat and as they were nicads they went flat at the very end..not a gradual decrease..didnt expect that eh? . Worked well, I also ran it on a 12 volt car battery when i had my car with me, driving down the Aussie bush camping at night. Cant remember now but i think it had a tolerance of between 9 volt and 12 volt but worked well on 7.2 volt..you will often find battery powered keyboards with 9 volts worth of batteries...yet the supplied transformer is 12 volt...at first it worried me...yet it worked fine. Worked a treat...but when I got my PX 330 it wouldnt even power it up on the loom and 12 volt...let alone run it..I never investigated why as by that time I didnt need batteries...but i do find the PX330's power transformer a pain if I carry it in my Privia bag the prongs invariably get bent, whereas the PX300's didnt as it was a box not piggy back. Hope this new one uses a better Transformer than our Aussie PX330 transformers.

So they left off music stand, speakers...may as well left of batteries as all those can be accomodated externally, so lets not worry that these are missing, before Casio started the Privia line most of you didnt want these features, gentle hinting doesnt hurt, but lets not make it a reason to lament.

Casio wowed me for years and I have had many "so called" pro boards...this one might make me leapfrog a bit from the 330..I do like the lighter colour as the PX330 is impossible to see at night..damn my eyes are crap too, but I'm not the only one with probs..the rear panel needed lettering on top of the board for easier changing leads...how many times had I to juggle chords while setting up ..so if that is on it that would be good.

This is closer to what I imagined in a controller.. but i bet I wont find one on display here easily [i dont frequent shops anymore as I am more into vintage gear,dont need too as I'm not shoping anyway. Besides browsing is boring here, as its all too many "mom and pop school yard shops" outside of the "big smoke"...honestly didnt even see a PX3 here in the "out of town " shops I walked into when they came out..so chances are I will have to actually hunt one down if they arrive here. But at least privias still do appear in these outoftown shops but less than previous years...seems yammy has turned up recently in place of them....hmmmm Yammy is making in roads into the mom and pops over privias here in Sydney...

Sorry long post...been away a long time...might just keep lurking after this hee hee. But this may make me leave hibernation to check one out.

MAN GREAT STUFF CASIO...love ya'

.the rear panel needed lettering on top of the board for easier changing leads...how many times had I to juggle chords while setting up ..so if that is on it that would be good.

That is nice to have, but also, it's annoying when the jacks on back have no print at all, but are labeled only in braille-style raised plastic, which is about impossible to see on stage, especially on a bottom tier board with something above. But in either case, you can create your own stickers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Buy a Brother Label Printer 3/4" and 1/2" Yellow sticky tape.

Changing stickers according to specific needs at different gigs is a breeze.

Best benefit with Yellow is you don't notice the lighting scene color changes, which is confusing if white tape is used as it follows the colors.

Yellow consistently shows the black lettering w/o noticing scene changes or fleshy colored specials.

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

If you want to hear this board right now Mike and Tom Brislin are live streaming from SXSW on uStream.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Update: He is done for now, he'll be back at 4 PM CT today, and 1 and 4 PM CT tomorrow. I don't know if Mike will be leaving the feed on between. So far he is.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He's answering questions on uStream as well as for those at the show, so you can ask him to demo stuff while he's there.

nice acoustic piano demo right now

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Thanks for posting the link Joe. We will have to shut the stream down early today - around 3:00 CST but we will have it on all day the next 2 days.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Sounded great (obviously limited due to webcam etc).

But does it have vox and farfisa samples? - out of interest.

A great demo Mike, many thanks.

Now if you can recreate this 'pop piano' sound

i'm totally sold!

Hello, best regards, Mike Martin a question please:

I think that the velocity of the keyboard works in high resolution midi like the PX-350.

Do the knobs works at resolutions higher than 7 bits too? (e.g. 14bits?)

Thank you.

Archived