Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

Hello, best regards, Mike Martin a question please:

I think that the velocity of the keyboard works in high resolution midi like the PX-350.

Do the knobs works at resolutions higher than 7 bits too? (e.g. 14bits?)

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

The knobs and sliders send standard MIDI values 0-127. Internally the resolution of the controllers are interpolated to their response is smooth when you're an adjustment to something like filter. Each Slider and Knob can also have minimum / maximum values you can you specify any range that you want it to function. Maybe just between 80-110 or 0-10, or make it work backwards by setting the minimum value to a high number and the maximum to a low number.

We'll try to get the www.ustream.tv/casiomusicgear channel running again today from 12-6pm central time.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's answering questions on uStream as well as for those at the show, so you can ask him to demo stuff while he's there.
It was funny how, after the rotary effect demo, you and I both asked the question about its editability within seconds of each other... we probably both heard the same thing and thought, "I wonder if I can fix that..." ;-) Obviously it's not a clonewheel, but the organ sounds did seem nicely usable, and the answer to the question, not just that it's editable, but that it's very editable, was a nice surprise.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Oh, that was you? I didn't realize that. I did notice someone else asking the same question at the time. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi, Mike! If you are so inclined to post additional sounds or demos, I would be extremely interested in hearing the various on-board Clav samples, as that is a sound that I use a lot both on-stage and in recordings. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Is there a release date for this board yet? Def worth giving a demo. Ive read all sorts of things, so let me ask..

Is the AP sound the same as the 350? Demo sounds like it has a bit more sustain.

Same w/action?

The roads tones..these appear to be new to the 5 and not the same as on the 350?

Saw a demo where Mike was using amp sim on some of the roads tones. Interesting.

N Whats up w/24lbs? U want my back to get better?

1 more question..anyone interested in a slightly used mox?

Thanks.

Is there a release date for this board yet? Def worth giving a demo.

Here in the US, we plan to ship to stores the second week of April.

Is the AP sound the same as the 350? Demo sounds like it has a bit more sustain.

They are the same piano samples as the PX-350. What we can do with those samples is far different than the PX-350. It can create piano sounds that the PX-350 can not reproduce.

Same w/action?

It is the same action as the PX-350

The roads tones..these appear to be new to the 5 and not the same as on the 350?

Saw a demo where Mike was using amp sim on some of the roads tones. Interesting.

All new electric pianos (Rhodes and Wurly) in the PX-5S along with other new samples - basses, harpsichords and other "modern Eps" that are new for this instrument. There is new effects engine which includes distortion with several options for the speaker simulator. There are audio demos on the SoundCloud page which is linked in my signature.

Whats up w/24lbs? U want my back to get better?

Yes

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

"They are the same piano samples as the PX-350. What we can do with those samples is far different than the PX-350. It can create piano sounds that the PX-350 can not reproduce."

So youre saying youre moding the piano samples utilizing the fx of the px5..What I hear on the vids, is that the stock piano or moded?

By the way Mike, salesguy/keyboardist at the local music shop here in Ft Myers Fl says he's known u for quite some time.

Thx for the reply. A.

In the audio clips and videos so far you've only heard the basic stock pianos, although sometimes layered with other things. There is one example on SoundCloud where I've simply cranked up the reverb.

We've just started experimenting with radically changing the acoustic piano sound - to create a CP80 type sound, a upright, ragtime piano and such. Some of these experiments are more successful than others but again we'll have bunches of these that people can download.

I've known that guy at Brent's Music long before he moved down to Florida. Once upon a time...over 15 years ago, we used to work in a music store together. He told me to ask you how you're enjoying your MOX8 and your Musebox?

-Mike Martin

Casio

Hi,

Casio PX-5S WE owners manual appears to now be available at http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php?rgn=1&cid=008009154 in PDF format.

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Wow!! This keyboard has some very impressive controller capabilities and programming flexibility according to the owners manual. And there are a ton of available waveforms and tones according to the Tutorial user's manual as well. The multi-zoning control capabilities are nothing short of fantastic! Is there any chance that this will one day be available as a 76 key model?

I just quickly read both manuals (basic + tutorial).... WOW!! What a fantastic piece of gear this is! Seems every time they (Casio) come out with something new, they have to 1-up themselves with an even better and more capable model!! While this has just about anything and everything anyone would want, I can't imagine what's in the works for the next model :)

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

New as in developed specifically for the PX-5S?

Off the top of my head -

Rhodes and Wurlitzer samples, 2 clavs, harpshichord, acoustic bass, electric basses (a few I think), and several other "digital Eps". There is also a bunch of other noises and percussive elements associated with the EPs and clavs.

There is also other content that has never been in Privia before, that is taken from the XW and that includes some drums and a variety of synth waveforms and other goodies like white and pink noise.

-Mike Martin

Casio

New as in developed specifically for the PX-5S?

Off the top of my head -

Rhodes and Wurlitzer samples, 2 clavs, harpshichord, acoustic bass, electric basses (a few I think), and several other "digital Eps". There is also a bunch of other noises and percussive elements associated with the EPs and clavs.

There is also other content that has never been in Privia before, that is taken from the XW and that includes some drums and a variety of synth waveforms and other goodies like white and pink noise.

You read my mind pretty well. :thu:

I was going to ask a more detailed question but I assumed some was new content and much of it was ported over from another product.

Does the new synthesis capabilities of the PX-5S make the legacy content sound much different than when it appeared on previous products? I guess I'm asking how much effort went into harnessing the new programming power to coax more realism out of the legacy content?

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Does the new synthesis capabilities of the PX-5S make the legacy content sound much different than when it appeared on previous products? I guess I'm asking how much effort went into harnessing the new programming power to coax more realism out of the legacy content?

Completely different and in the factory presets we're only scratching the surface.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Is there any chance that this will one day be available as a 76 key model?

Interesting idea. Like most companies, Casio does like to repurpose their designs into derivative variations, but AFAIK, unlike most other companies, they have never come out with essentially weighted and unweighted versions of the same board. A 76 key version that added aftertouch could be interesting even at the same price. No one's making a lightweight 73-76 controller with AT these days.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In the audio clips and videos so far you've only heard the basic stock pianos, although sometimes layered with other things. There is one example on SoundCloud where I've simply cranked up the reverb.

We've just started experimenting with radically changing the acoustic piano sound - to create a CP80 type sound, a upright, ragtime piano and such. Some of these experiments are more successful than others but again we'll have bunches of these that people can download.

I've known that guy at Brent's Music long before he moved down to Florida. Once upon a time...over 15 years ago, we used to work in a music store together. He told me to ask you how you're enjoying your MOX8 and your Musebox?

lol, he's a great guy and knows more about keyboards than anyone Ive ever met..we both have a soft spot for Ensoniq..tell him I love the Musebox and cant wait to try it with the PX5..

Nothing against Mike or Casio, but I have never seen so much hype for a musical instrument before its even released! 12 pages? I believe that it even breaks Hammond/Suzuki's SK hype record!

This keyboard better be greater than the second coming of Christ, or else a lot of musicians will be gravely disappointed (me included).

And thanks, Mike, for all the great info... Wish that more manufacturer reps were like you.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Like most companies, Casio does like to repurpose their designs into derivative variations, but AFAIK, unlike most other companies, they have never come out with essentially weighted and unweighted versions of the same board.

I think the nearest to this was the WK8000/WK3800/PX575. The 8000 was 88 notes and semi-weighted, and the 3800 was 76 notes and slightly less semi-weighted, IIRC. The PX-575 was a weighted 88 with essentially the same engine but with an altered interface.

Years ago I had the PX-310 and a WK3700. I found it really useful having a bunch of the same tones available on each instrument, along with two different keybeds. And for those at that time who were still scoffing at the Casio name, those instruments were a revelation!

Nothing against Mike or Casio, but I have never seen so much hype for a musical instrument before its even released!

I think that has a lot to do with the fact that Mike has been prepared to come on here and elsewhere, and answer questions, post sound demos, and reveal how work is progressing. It helps everyone to realize that there are people at Casio who actually want real, working musicians to feel comfortable with this new instrument. In fact, I can't remember another manufacturer being so open about progress on development.

It's a bonus that it sounds good, too!

Nothing against Mike or Casio, but I have never seen so much hype for a musical instrument before its even released! 12 pages? I believe that it even breaks Hammond/Suzuki's SK hype record!

This keyboard better be greater than the second coming of Christ, or else a lot of musicians will be gravely disappointed (me included).

The keyboard is awesome!! I saw it in January at NAMM.... and what they were demo'ing was just barely getting into its capabilities. I read a good portion of the manuals earlier this morning and was drooling over some of its capabilities! Now that the manuals are available online (link given in a previous post), I highly recommend giving it a look!

As for the business side of things, Mike is definitely doing a good job generating interest among those who haven't physically seen it yet.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

In fact, I can't remember another manufacturer being so open about progress on development.

+1.

I Hope other manufacturers are paying attention....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

No one's making a lightweight 73-76 controller with AT these days.

Available shortly, 12,5 kg: Studiologic Acuna 73

Good weighting too (I've played the 88 version)

Interesting! I was talking about an organ/synth action, though.

It is nice to see another option for those who are looking for less wide sub-88 weighted boards, but I wouldn't get too excited about that Acuna, personally. The aftertouch (and presumably the price) has appeal. But it is heavier than the PX-5S; the depth of the unit (how far back the display and controls are) will make it harder to ideally position a board above it; and I think the current Privia action feels better than the TP100. Since I'm more interested in having AT on my unweighted board than my weighted one, I would rather have a PX-5S... and that's not even counting the sounds! But if someone doesn't need sounds and is on a tight budget or needs a board that is less wide, yeah, the Acuna looks like a very nice option to have in a lightweight, well-priced weighted action board.

I Hope other manufacturers are paying attention....

It's interesting to note the different public approaches (via forums):

Roland - pretty much totally aloof

Yamaha - mute most of the time, but with occasional tentative forays out among the great unwashed

Kawai - very approachable and helpful, as long as you don't need any unpublished technical specs/data (i.e. most of them)

Kurzweil - very approachable and helpful, but with a different perception of time from the rest of us

Nord - the cold Nordic winter means they rarely venture outside

Casio - enough enthusiasm and pep to rival a cheerleaders' convention

Edit: Forgot to include Studiologic - I wonder why?

I like your characterizations, Vox.

While you rarely find Yamaha out in the wild, they are actually pretty helpful if you travel to their native habitat (motifator).

Roland, being having the presence of a phantom, obviously named their workstations appropriately.

You also forgot Korg. They have some decent presence at korgforums (at least in the Kronos section) and sometimes pop up elsewhere as well.

One thing about all of the Japanese companies, though, is that while some are better than others at interfacing with the public, you rarely see any hint of a company bringing any user input into their designs. That is, if people online suggest that a feature could be implemented in a better way in a Kurzweil or Nord, there is some chance that you might see an improvement in a software update. With any of the Japanese companies, I've always gotten the impression that, even if an online rep agrees that something would be a good idea, that they themselves are frustrated at how hard it can be to get the designers in Japan to consider their suggestions.

One thing about all of the Japanese companies, though, is that while some are better than others at interfacing with the public, you rarely see any hint of a company bringing any user input into their designs. That is, if people online suggest that a feature could be implemented in a better way in a Kurzweil or Nord, there is some chance that you might see an improvement in a software update. With any of the Japanese companies, I've always gotten the impression that, even if an online rep agrees that something would be a good idea, that they themselves are frustrated at how hard it can be to get the designers in Japan to consider their suggestions.

Um, Casio? Clearly they're listening to Mike.

Archived