Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

What can't other Reps ( I'm talking about you - Korg,Roland,Yamaha,and so on )visit this forum once in a while and give/get feedback?

Others have tried, but Mike has always struck just the right balance for a rep on this forum. He enthusiastically gives us information on Casio's product line, but he tries to make it accurate - and doesn't exaggerate or compare it to the competition.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What can't other Reps ( I'm talking about you - Korg,Roland,Yamaha,and so on )visit this forum once in a while and give/get feedback?

Others have tried, but Mike has always struck just the right balance for a rep on this forum. He enthusiastically gives us information on Casio's product line, but he tries to make it accurate - and doesn't exaggerate or compare it to the competition.

Off Topic (couldn't resist):

Folks who are less-involved or unresponsive to customers may suffer from underestimating the power of empathy and the two following world-class service principles:

80/20 Rule - Investing a brief amount of time (20%) in vital tasks yields huge dividends (80%). Discerning the vital tasks is the key.

Parkinson's Law - Rough Definition: A task expands to fill the time allotted for its completion. This means that if a person thinks it'll take too much time (let's say an hour) to write customer replies, then the task will increase in complexity and become more daunting and fill the hour or discourage the person from ever starting. But, with the help of empathy and rational thought, a person can knock out the task in two minutes simply by thinking, "Two minutes of my time is worth investing in our customers." And presto - the task only takes two minutes. (very rough interpretation)

Steve Coscia

Sorry if this has been addressed, but based on the pics I've seen, it's hard to tell what the patch change format is. Is it a bank/program setup like Yamaha uses?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

If I understand the question...

There are 100 Stage Settings. They are arranged in 10 banks of 10. So starting in Bank 0, with one button press you have 10 Stage Settings available. To go a different bank, you'll pres the Bank button followed by two digits...the bank, and the program within that bank.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

One interesting point about Casio's product offering. The have the same keybed in all of their products.

The other manufacturers have cheaper keybeds in their cheaper products (a sore source of discussion on many forums). Casio has wisely found a wonderful keybed that most find very playable and enjoyable.

I imagine there's some economy of scale working for them by doing this. Way to go Casio! And we (the consumers) benefit!

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

If I understand the question...

There are 100 Stage Settings. They are arranged in 10 banks of 10. So starting in Bank 0, with one button press you have 10 Stage Settings available. To go a different bank, you'll pres the Bank button followed by two digits...the bank, and the program within that bank.

Yep, that was what I was looking for, thanks!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

+1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Really sorry if this has already been covered but does px5s have drawbar organ mode like xwp1.....its my dream one day to play gimme some lovin :)

I've been follwing the threads about the PX-5S a little and from what I can tell, I don't believe that PX-5S has a drawbar organ mode (similar to the Casio's XW-P1). But I could be wrong, as happens far too often....

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

No it doesn't. We will have some Stage Settings that will give you some drawbar control, so you can bring in and out certain elements but it is limited, there are only 6 sliders after all.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Does the PX-5S have unison mode? Specifically, mono mode, with multiple voices playing the one note, slightly detuned. (If the hex layer section has mono mode, no doubt that would fit the bill.)

If it has mono mode, is it low, high, last key priority, or selectable? Does it have portamento (glide)? Constant rate or constant time?

I'm not a serious mono-synth player, obviously, but there is a tune or two where I like to use a Lucky Man type of lead (not with all the details, just the general idea). I'm confident it can handle my few polysynth and strings needs.

Is there a website with details like this? Haven't found one yet. Of course, the software might not be completely done yet, so it's understandable we don't have all the details.

Thanks!

Hey Jeff,

Late last night they just finalized the software. Now that it is complete we'll be working on updating all our web sites, information pages and shooting some videos. When the PX-5S page is updated on www.casiomusicgear.com I'll post some info here.

There is not a monophonic mode. There was a rather remarkable list of things that were added or dramatically improved since NAMM but we had to draw the line somewhere otherwise "Feature Creap" would delay the product indefinitely. We've been burning the candles at both ends for several weeks to stay within our timeline so I'm happy to say that I may actually get some sleep tonight which I haven't had much of since well before NAMM.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Thanks, Mike.

I've been called a feature creep. Oh wait, scratch "feature".

I'm really gonna miss my MR76 when I finally retire it. The biggest thing about it I don't like is that the glide is constant time, not constant rate. Plus it would be nice if it were 25 lbs rather than 55!

Well, you can cross your fingers that perhaps a software update will offer mono mode.

Or you can get a XW-P1 which weighs three pounds and has a really sick "solo" synth mode.

Tangent: I had an MR61 for awhile. The biggest thing I didn't like about it was the limited sound editing. And having to use a floppy drive. And how the sequencer part was a pain to loop seemlessly. And the effects lag. And the soundfinder. Come to think of it, it would be easier to say what I DID like instead: the sound, the ideapad, and the sequencer concept.

Well, you can cross your fingers that perhaps a software update will offer mono mode.

You can cross your fingers but seriously, I can not guarantee software updates of any kind. Although it is easy to install.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8492413539_85fa7fd4cb.jpg

-Mike Martin

Casio

While we are asking impossible questions about a product that is not yet shipping, will any key pressure hardness/softness parameters be stored in the patches, i.e. you could have a hard setting for some piano settings and more soft for other patches?

The velocity curve is global.

There are a variety of built-in presets for different styles in genres. In addition, it is easy to take our pianos which are extremely dynamic and make them less dynamic to velocity. So if they get a little too quiet for you when you play soft, you can reduce the overall amplitude range. After doing this you'll probably only want to lower the overall volume of the tone. 2 parameters, pretty easy.

We'll have additional piano presets available for download by the time the PX-5S hits stores.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike: Thanks for all the info + samples. Now that you're getting some rest....if you could, I'd love to hear more Rhodes samples, especially without effects. I find that best for evaluating Rhodes sounds. In particular, I'd love to hear how the PX-5S does for a bell-like Rhodes sound. Thanks.

--mark

Mike, you're an amazing guy. My question is organs. Like many people, my ultimate dream is to carry one 24 lb keyboard to gigs and travel simple and light. I play a lot of classic rock and blues, and to do so would require pretty decent organs. I have a Privia 310 which I love despite the lack of organs, but the following Privias just never seemed to advance or put much effort into organs. I have no doubt that the 5S will be awesome for pianos and ep's (and likely synths), but what about plain old organs? Please don't make me bring a whole 'nother keyboard just to play Whiter Shade of Pale. Any hope?

Like everyone else, though, I'll probably jump anyway. Any chance you might produce some without the fake wood grain keys? I love the action, but am not too crazy about that wood grain.

Thanks!

I asked Mike about any organ details a few weeks back.

BACKGROUND: I now play the Privia PX-3 and have a Manual Bass / "Vox" type organ sound Registration as well as a couple of Manual Bass / "drawbar" organ Registrations set up. I use the Vibrato DSP on the transistor organ and the Rotary DSP on the "B3-type" sounds. They sound good in the mix on stage but the rotary effect is definately not something to write home about. The PX-3 raw organ tones are actually fairly good and sounded REALLY good when I had the opportunity once to run the tones thru a Leslie 3300 (I imagine a Ventilator would sound great as well). I asked Mike if the PX-5S would have the drawbar sound engine of the latest Casio synths? He told me it would not BUT there would be some organ "flute" tones in the Hex synth section AND you could assign various footages to those 6 sliders and be able to manipulate the mix that way. Also the PX-5S will have the Vibrato/Chorus effect as well as a brand new "DOUBLE ROTARY" effaect that is supposed to be the balls! So, you might be able to have your (organ sound) cake and eat it too with this Privia Pro PX-5S!

I'm not sure specifically where I ever called it a "double rotary" effect. It does simulate the top horn and bottom speaker of a typical leslie type cabinet. Is it "the balls"? I'm not sure I ever said that either. It is not equal to a Vent. It is however hands down better than anything Casio has had before. It does have chorus/vibrato simulation as well and I believe can get you through a gig quite well when you don't have or can't have a dedicated clone.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike: Thanks for all the info + samples. Now that you're getting some rest....if you could, I'd love to hear more Rhodes samples, especially without effects. I find that best for evaluating Rhodes sounds. In particular, I'd love to hear how the PX-5S does for a bell-like Rhodes sound. Thanks.

--mark

We should have some up in a few days. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived