Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I have a Privia 310 which I love despite the lack of organs, but the following Privias just never seemed to advance or put much effort into organs....Please don't make me bring a whole 'nother keyboard just to play Whiter Shade of Pale. Any hope?

The PX-3 had notably better organ than the PX-310. But I expect the PX-5 will be better... it will at least be more adjustable. Mike talked about it some earlier in this thread, and also at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2471666/

I think you'd probably be able to find something passable for Whiter Shade... the bigger question there might be the Leslie effect. But at least then you could bring a pedal, if need be, rather than a whole other board.

I'd still rather have a second board, with full drawbar control and an action more suited for organ playing, but for the times you really need to stick to one board and need to still cover the occasional organ parts, it seems like you could probably manage to get by with just the PX-5S.

For a second board, though, the Roland VR-09 could be a nice, lightweight, well-priced match for the PX-5S. That will probably also provide the solo (mono) synth that the PX-5S lacks.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I own one of the originals and it is really very cool!

I saw the original too I believe, if it was a German cat. It didn't do Bank MSB, LSB at the time but since then John Bowen has turned Solaris' NumPad into a MIDI Controller, so I will buy a Router from MIDI Solutions and route to the Casio, hardware analogs and the XITE-1.

250 seems a little steep, but the quality of build looks great and the fact it's a reduced instruction set is most appealling.

Keith McMullen and other blinking light controller developers have so many bells and whistles, I won;t go near them. Their forums are chock full of pissed off people.

Personally I'd close the forum down, especially since there seems to be little customer support.

But what can go wrong w/ a MIDI KeyPad..?

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

I haven't read the whole thread, and it's possible that this has already be answered, but will the PX5 have that same "textured" feel to the keys some of the other Casios I've played have?
Same as the PX-150 + PX-350.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I haven't played with the Ventilator, but I have an older Boss RT-20 that does pretty decent with maximizing iffy organ samples, although it's kinda noisy with the distortion cranked up. However, it's $250 to $300 cheaper than the Ventilator on ebay. Here's a demo on youtube (not me playing):

Oh, I was referring to the Genovation device (http://www.genovation.com) MIDI Patch Changer, which I no longer see on their web site. Too bad, it is an excellent, bullet-proof industrial-grade device.

Industrial Grade is the action, I agree. I don't spill Jager on the gear these days, I'm so straight now I have to lay down just to take a shit, but my fondness for good gear still lingers on...

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

Just uploaded 10 Electric Piano demos to our soundcloud page -

All the new ones played by Jerrythek :)

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Wow.... Great job with those ! :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks guys. I tried to balance showing off the note range, sustain, and dynamic characteristics of the sounds, not just play. Although I couldn't help but wank away a bit too much on the Crunchy EP.

:-)

Jerry

Awesome! Thanks Jerry.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike - thanks for posting these new EP demos!

They're well-played - Jerrythek is a sensitive player with wonderful technique and dynamics! And the new EP tones definitely sound like a big step forward for the PX series and, by default, its related CTK/WK/XW siblings (trickle-down effect?).

But - and this really irks me - in most of the demos there is way too many and too much DSP in the mix. And IMHO this REALLY does a disservice to showcasing the PX's incredible new tonality and harmonic range - just on its own - without any DSP or special effects added!

I'd really appreciate hearing all the PX-5S demos re-recorded with a progressive DSP curve applied: demo starts with tone 100% dry then after 10 secs you bring in just a touch of the associated DSP with that tone (tremolo, verb, chorus, whatever) and when I say 'touch' I really mean just a light kiss - less IS way more in this mix n master department!!!!!

Then, after another 10 secs or so, you can bring-up the main DSP just a tiny bump more and maybe fade-in some system verb, chorus..., but, again, just very, very lightly with tremendous restrain and respect for the core tone's sound. Always keep the sonic spotlight on the PX's new tones, and not the DSP effects. You can feature them in other demos later!

This is my opinion, I know, but I just find the current PX demos to be SO saturated with DSP that, ultimately, all we hear are over-driven, crowded harmonics with a lot of annoying distortion and dissonance that just distracts from the purity and genius of the original tones sounding on their own.

Just sayin'!

I'd really like to hear these new tones in the most pristine way possible! DSP can always be added later.

One more idea - which would be very cool - create an online, web-based mock-up of the PX-5S's control surface. One can dial-up a tone, hear a 10-sec sample of that tone on its own, no DSP, and then add-in DSP, again from the PX's online control surface mock-up and hear the actual blended tone/DSP in realtime. Not an easy challenge to Casio's development team but, wow, anything close to this would be huge in terms of 'cool factor'!

It would be a cloud-based, online PX-5S sound generator for us to sample and audition tones, DSP, etc. To simplify development you could just feature the main 1 or 2 tones from each section (AP, EP...) and limit sound manipulation to the main DSP. But, still, it would be a great, fun, real-time-interactive way to get introduced to the new Privia Pro brand.

Deep thoughts from the Himalayas,

Dattaa

Dattaa,

Welcome to the forum.

I think if you go back and take a look you'll see that we did create a number of demos of the same preset with and without distortion.

As an example:

The first E.Piano Stage Setting on the PX-5S:

The same preset with a some distortion dialed in:

-with

You'll find we did the same for the Wurly sound demos.

I'm sure we'll be adding more demos.

As for your idea for an "online sound generator"...simply put, its not going to happen. Casio's products are processor driven. Taking what has been coded on Casio's AiR processor and porting it over to another system is not possible and not something we could invest the weeks or months of coding on, especially when the end result would not sound the same.

I realize that in your location it may not be easy to find a PX-5S at a local dealer so you have to rely on online audio and video examples. The PX-5S won't even begin shipping for over a month here in the US. We'll be taking as much of that time as possible to continue to provide more information and audio / video examples.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived