Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike, can you give any more detail on the amp models that were mentoned previously- I haven't rechecked the thread but I think I remember you saying that there were six and then that there would be a couple more.

They added a couple bass cabinets. I don't know the source.

Bassman

Fender Twin

Vox AC30

JC-120

Boogie Mark1

JCM-900

Rectifire Stack

I'll probably get in trouble for posting this. The names aren't in the keyboard but you can guess based the abbreviations used.

Good Lord, both your response and the variety of amp models themselves are above and beyond my expectations, thank you very much!

Mk 1 Suitcase

Unfortunately that doesn't tell us much since tines changed during Mark I label. But I bet it's safe to assume it's a later model Mark I, similar to mine, since they're very common.

There are more differences between different Mark I's than between Mark I and Mark II.

Darn the Rhodes marketing department. Model changes are only appearance changes.

They are still refining the samples and of course when we're done we'll get as many audio clips up as possible.

The raw sample in general doesn't have an over-pronounced bell tone. I believe BUSCH heard it at the NAMM show and said he was happy to hear that it was not "over-hyped". I would describe it as a warmer sound.

That being said, the flexibility of the engine is pretty remarkable and if you want "more bell" you can have it. In the end I hope to create some "Stage Settings" where the "bell tone" is on a slider or knob. This is easily done in a "HexLayer" preset. A few of the presets we are working with now have four layers for the EP sound itself, a 5th for key-release and a 6th for "more bell".

Take all of that and add the speaker simulations and the variety is quite remarkable in my opinion.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I am sooo looking forward to getting my hands on and demoing this thing :thu:

I think I am too. There is a possibility this might replace my S70XS which is my main board for piano, EP, and all things split and layered.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

In the end I hope to create some "Stage Settings" where the "bell tone" is on a slider or knob. This is easily done in a "HexLayer" preset.

That sounds awesome. I haven't kept up with the "hex layer" discussion, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but... could you set up the sliders to control, for example, bell tone, phaser wet/dry mix, and amp sim levels/overdrive?

I think I am too. There is a possibility this might replace my S70XS which is my main board for piano, EP, and all things split and layered.

Same here with my MOX8

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

That sounds awesome. I haven't kept up with the "hex layer" discussion, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but... could you set up the sliders to control, for example, bell tone, phaser wet/dry mix, and amp sim levels/overdrive?

There are 4 knobs and 6 sliders. They can be assigned to just about anything. It is the "Stage Setting" (known as Performances or Setups on other keyboards) that determines the function of the controllers.

So we're working on Stage Settings that will practical for the given situation.

An example Stage Setting for Electric Piano might be this:

Knobs 1-4 EQ (Low, Low-Mid, High-Mid, High). The knobs are indented in the center so it is easy to do a boost or cut.

Slider 1: Amp Gain / Level Cut. As you boost the gain the distortion section it can simultaneously cut the level so it stays musical.

Slider 2: Speaker Choice

Slider 3: Bell tone Level or key release noise if applicable.

Slider 4: Reverb Depth

Slider 5: Chorus Depth

Slider 6: Delay Depth

There are 100 Stage Settings. In those 100 our challenge is to show the array of thing the PX-5S can do. In the end you can make 50 of those 100 to be just Electric Piano setups. I hope that by the end of April we'll have a collection of these that you can download and using the editor you can arrange them in your PX-5S to suit your needs.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'm borrowing something I wrote on another forum to clarify the architecture.

It is a 4 Zone keyboard. A set of 4 zones is a "Stage Setting".

2 of your 4 zones can have what Casio calls a HexLayer (This is really the synth side of the product).

A Hex Layer is a single complex tone that can be made up of six sample layers. These can be stacked (layered), split or velocity switched. Each of those six layers gets its own filter (LP, HP, BP) and filter, AMP and Pitch envelope (all 7 stage envelopes).

You can even have layers that are triggered on key-release. A HexLayer program gets its own insert effect but you can choose if a layer uses that insert or the amount that goes to the system effects (chorus, delay, reverb).

So technically if you running HexLayers on Zones 1 and 2, that's 12 layers. That leaves Zones 3 and 4 open for other sounds such piano or other sounds...bass split...etc.

Phew...

-Mike Martin

Casio

Same here with my MOX8

Same here with my... oh wait. :mad::taz:

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Mike, don't forget a knob or slider for tremolo on the EPs - unless that's assigned to the mod wheel.

Already done on the wheel. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Slider 1: Amp Gain / Level Cut. As you boost the gain the distortion section it can simultaneously cut the level so it stays musical.

That was gonna be my next question. That is excellent news, and yet another thing I've wished the SV1 could do.

I read right over that. Sweet!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That was gonna be my next question. That is excellent news, and yet another thing I've wished the SV1 could do.

Yes - There were a couple of big additions we got added after NAMM.

1. Minimum and Maximum values for each controller. This keeps the gain from getting way out of control.

2. 2 Destinations for each controller. To simultaneously raise the gain while reducing the level....among other applications.

So in this example.

Slider1 - Gain - Min. 10 - Max 40

Slider1 - Level- Min. 50 - Max 20

We have to play a bit with the values so it doesn't jump dramatically in gain but it works great.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I suppose we should be realistic. The PX has the weight, price and overall technology to generate huge interest among even pro musicians; but can Casio deliver the quality of sound that those who are used to playing $2-3k boards expect, this time around? After all, it really is the holy grail - a 24lbs board that can compete with Roland's SuperNATURAL or Kawai's UPHI - or even Nord's very natural-sounding samples.

Casio does amazing things within very tight budgetary constraints, but are we really looking at a sea-change in tonal quality compared with previous models, or just another step in the right direction? I'd love it to be the former, but fear that expectations are running a little too high right now...

I suppose we should be realistic. The PX has the weight, price and overall technology to generate huge interest among even pro musicians; but can Casio deliver the quality of sound that those who are used to playing $2-3k boards expect, this time around? After all, it really is the holy grail - a 24lbs board that can compete with Roland's SuperNATURAL or Kawai's UPHI - or even Nord's very natural-sounding samples.

Casio does amazing things within very tight budgetary constraints, but are we really looking at a sea-change in tonal quality compared with previous models, or just another step in the right direction? I'd love it to be the former, but fear that expectations are running a little too high right now...

It's pretty easy to go to the nearest big music store and check out Privias. Me thinks they sound from good to really good. If PX-5S has even better digital piano samples, that's just a ++ for me.

After all, it really is the holy grail - a 24lbs board that can compete with Roland's SuperNATURAL or Kawai's UPHI - or even Nord's very natural-sounding samples.

Why not? Kurzweil does with 10 year old samples!

I think the new Privias sound a lot better than the Triple Strike pianos.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Mike,

How much internal wave ROM are we looking at? 128MB?

BTW, as has already been expressed, thanks for hanging out here and answering our questions. What can't other Reps ( I'm talking about you - Korg,Roland,Yamaha,and so on )visit this forum once in a while and give/get feedback?

I believe it is much more than 128MB but I do not know the exact figure and I'm not sure I'll be able to get an exact answer either.

I appreciate the feedback. If I weren't working for a manufacturer, I'd still be hanging out here. I've been a forum member for 12 years. Sharing information and talking about gear isn't work to me nor is it part of my job. It's just fun. :)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived