Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Whitney Houston dead

Cygnus64

I heard about it last night, absolutely terrible news. Such a waste of unbelievable talent, gone.

As a veteran, I was blown away by her rendition of our national anthem at Super Bowl XXV as our military was moving into harms way in the Middle East. To me, she symbolized the "Voice of America" after her delivery of the Star Spangled Banner moved everyone in the stadium to tears, included football players.

I posted the Youtube link back on the NFL 2012 thread. Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llFZT6CTXz8&feature=fvst

Maybe it is not everyone's favorite song sung by Whitney, but it is mine.

Rest in peace. :(

Mike T.

Not a huge fanboy of the national anthem being sung at sporting events but her's and Jose Feliciano's renditions just simply nail it. RIP.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The short list of 20th Century Black Female Singers.

No particular order but I think she comes in the Top 5.

There are others I enjoy more(on and off this list).

Maria Carey

Janet Jackson

Whitney Houston

Donna Summer

Ella Fitzgerald

Aretha Franklin

Diana Ross

Dionne Warwick

Nina Simone

Etta James

Tina Turner

Dinah Washington

Gladys Knight

Ruth Brown

Koko Taylor

As a veteran, I was blown away by her rendition of our national anthem at Super Bowl XXV

I have two former girlfriends who were backing her in the orchestra. Both spoke with unusual reverence of that performance, they both said that the recording/TV just couldn't capture the emotion in the stadium that evening, both the performance and the audience's reaction to it.

Maria Carey

Really? I've never heard her considered to be black.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Maria Carey

More Long Island.

[to richwhite9] But why limit the list to black female singers? I would put her in the top 5 of all female singers, and I didn't particularly like her music (pop/dance/lite FM).

Maria Carey

Mostly because I stole the list :)

If I used the list with white rock, blues and jazz singers I get easily confused thinking people like Patti Smith or Bjork blow her away :).

No particular order but I think she comes in the Top 5.

There are others I enjoy more(on and off this list).

Maria Carey

Janet Jackson

Whitney Houston

Donna Summer

Ella Fitzgerald

Aretha Franklin

Diana Ross

Dionne Warwick

Nina Simone

Etta James

Tina Turner

Dinah Washington

Gladys Knight

Ruth Brown

Koko Taylor

Janet?? really? Decent performer/dancer but singer?

Wow, I could listen to that "isolated" vocal track for days and not care to hear anything else!

What a voice!!!

The term "Diva" these days is being applied to 2nd rate hacks that couldn't carry Whitney Houston's handbag.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Whitney had a gift that allowed her to go places she could have only imagined back in Newark, NJ.

As an adult, she made choices that others may not have agreed. But, it was her life. She choose to live it her way.

Nonetheless, she has influenced many singers. Her voice will live forever through recordings.

The trials and tribulations of this world no longer bind her. Thanks for the music. RIP Ms. Houston. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

WARNING: What follows is a highly inappropriate, insensitive, too-soon, awful, sick, twisted joke, for which I will probably go to hell. If you don't wish to read such filth, skip to the next post.

True story: I happen to be in the city of Houston, TX today. Earlier in the evening a friend texted me, "How's Houston?"

My reply: "Surprisingly dead tonight."

C'mon, what are the odds of the universe handing you a setup like that?

The odds are pretty good actually.

Anyway.... on to other things. Whitney's situation was not at all unlike another great pop singer - June Pointer - who died in 2006 at age 52 of drug and alchohol related abuse.

In her heyday June was the lead vocalist on many of the Pointer Sister's big hits. But for whatever reason, the temptations of the party life were just too great. I personally witnessed some of this as I provided rental keyboard gear for the Pointers ( and others) on numerous occasions in the early 80's . It was one big non stop party. White powder was everywhere and was frequently offered to me.

I have no idea what the level of temptation might be for someone who can just snap their finger and someone will be there to address your every whim. It's no secret that drugs will (sometimes) give you super human levels of confidence but that is also often follwed by hellish levels of depression and despair.

The people who are strong enough to ride that roller coaster (for a while at least) are the unlucky ones in many cases. The other unlucky ones are the people who care about them.

I guess if any good can out of this it would be a wake up call of sorts for others. The stuff that is out there these days is deadly .

This should be required listening for anyone thinking of ever calling themselves a "diva". Listen to what real talent sounds like, before Autotune and Melodyne:

Whitney Houston - Isolated vocal track for "How Will I Know", off her debut album in 1985.

Yeah, that's incredible.

We heard about it just as we were getting to our gig last night.

A real shame.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

My condolences go to her family and all the people who were influenced by her music and appreciated her talent.

"Saving All My Love For You" was a tune I brought to the band. We played a lot of wedding receptions back then and this tune always got everyone on the dance floor.

She was one of the greatest, and she will be missed.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Brilliant career and life turned into a train wreck by that piece of shit Bobby Brown. In my opinion, one of the greatest voices *ever* (Houston, not Brown).

Rest in Peace.

Don't blame Bobby 100%. While he was an enabler, someone else got Whitney started on the wrong path in the early 90s.

I was at a RIT Hockey game when someone text me about it. What's interesting she was using way back after she filmed "The Preachers wife" in 1996.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Brilliant career and life turned into a train wreck by that piece of shit Bobby Brown. In my opinion, one of the greatest voices *ever* (Houston, not Brown).

Rest in Peace.

Don't blame Bobby 100%. While he was an enabler, someone else got Whitney started on the wrong path in the early 90s.

You're the second person to remind me of that today. The first was my barber, who (unbeknownst to me) knew Bobby growing up in the Orchard Park projects in Roxbury, MA. His take was that while Bobby certainly may have contributed, Whitney made her own choices. I stand corrected.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

My condolences go to her family and all the people who were influenced by her music and appreciated her talent.

"Saving All My Love For You" was a tune I brought to the band. We played a lot of wedding receptions back then and this tune always got everyone on the dance floor.

She was one of the greatest, and she will be missed.

Tom

I remember covering it as well. It is a shame she died too soon.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Rest in Peace.

Yeah, herself.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I heard about it last night, absolutely terrible news. Such a waste of unbelievable talent, gone.

As a veteran, I was blown away by her rendition of our national anthem at Super Bowl XXV as our military was moving into harms way in the Middle East. To me, she symbolized the "Voice of America" after her delivery of the Star Spangled Banner moved everyone in the stadium to tears, included football players.

I posted the Youtube link back on the NFL 2012 thread. Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llFZT6CTXz8&feature=fvst

Maybe it is not everyone's favorite song sung by Whitney, but it is mine.

Rest in peace. :(

Mike T.

Mike I remember reading somewhere part of that was her singing over herself on a track at that performance? Did anyone hear about that.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Rest in Peace.

Well, as any recovered drug addict knows, you have no one to blame but yourself, and putting it on Bobby Brown is a cop out.

And while it will floor most folks, the published reports are that Whitney turned Bobby on to coke and harder drugs, not the other way around.

Its a sad waste of talent, but the truth is that for anyone who has achieved a greatness, there is usually a void elsewhere in their life they are compensating for, and this is triply true for artists in any field.

Whitney had it all, even before she had it all: she was a beautiful girl who turned into a beautiful woman; she had a one of a kind vocal talent; she had a strong spiritual background with solid family. Selling 170 million records should only have made her even happier.

R.I.P.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

This should be required listening for anyone thinking of ever calling themselves a "diva". Listen to what real talent sounds like, before Autotune and Melodyne:

Whitney Houston - Isolated vocal track for "How Will I Know", off her debut album in 1985.

DAMN!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

DAMN!

Double damn. This is incredible.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

+1

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Is there any chance of suicide with the Grammys tonight and that she's been out of the limelight for so long? Obviously, she's been involved in self-destruction for a while.

I would say that's a possibility. After releasing her comeback album in 2009 she went on a world tour, and it became apparent that she had lost the pristine voice she once had. That would be depressing for any singer, but I can only imagine the despair it must have caused for her to reach that realization.

R.I.P. Whitney. We'll miss you. :(

><>

Steve

Archived