Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What bands compare groove wise with TOP, EWF, James B, etc?

I-missRichardTee

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Greyhounds:

[video:youtube]

JJ GRey and Mofro (with the guys of Greyhounds on guitar and keys):

And from Brazil, some instrumentals from the great Ari Borger Quartet:

And for something with vocals, also from around here, Funk Como Le Gusta:

Airto Fogo, also brazilian:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn2K-nI8e50

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Erykah Badu: [video:youtube]

I love Erykah and I LOVE this Soulstage set - whoever is the MD/arranger in this particular lineup is a master. The "On & On ... & On" segment (which is now only on Youtube in a camcorder-pointed-at-the-TV copy) is one of the best live performances I've seen by anyone in the last five years. I would probably pay $50 if they would sell a darn DVD. Is someone asleep at the switch at VH1?

What about some Dumpstaphunk:

An some Poogie Bell Band (drummer for Marcus Miller):

Sugarman 3, also great:

Matt Schofield Trio:

His keys man has a great solo record too:

Jonny Henderson http://www.jonnyhenderson.com/wdilmk

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

God, I love this forum!! :thu:

Don't forget Fort Knox Five!

and

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I'm a big fan of Jon Cleary. Maybe a little more New Orleans/Meters/Professor Longhair/Dr. John than your examples, but a kickass band and KB player.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Holy Mothership Batman! This thread is a veritable funkucopia of funkaliciousness. We gotta make it a sticky, because it will take me a month just to listen to all the artists here.

I do want to pick one little nit, the OP said:

So name some really hot, hard driving cuts, post, 1999!! Bands whose genesis was after 1999.

Most of the stuff posted here are bands who got their start in the early 90s or earlier.

But I don't care -- it's a great list! :thu:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Holy Mothership Batman! This thread is a veritable funkucopia of funkaliciousness. We gotta make it a sticky, because it will take me a month just to listen to all the artists here.

So name some really hot, hard driving cuts, post, 1999!! Bands whose genesis was after 1999.

Most of the stuff posted here are bands who got their start in the early 90s or earlier.

--Dave

That was the dark side of my post ( you happily pointed out the light side ) What are todays young people coming up with?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

There is a band that played close by that I wanted to see. They are call Mingo Fishtrap, out of Austin.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

There is a band that played close by that I wanted to see. They are call Mingo Fishtrap, out of Austin.
Been there, done that. ;)
This time I'll provide some evidence.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've been following the Pimps of Joytime for years. They're finally starting to get the recognition they deserve, playing NoLa jazzfest and Sierra. They don't have a dedicated keyboard player and they deliberately use some cheesy keyboard sounds, but aside from that . . .

Also Orgone.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

--Dave

That was the dark side of my post ( you happily pointed out the light side ) What are todays young people coming up with?

Again, I don't see why we have to make the distinction. However, if you are keeping score, I'd say that the 90's, not the 00's, are a more accurate split point. It seems to me that the bands playing since the 90's are still alive and kickin', creating new stuff all the time.

Did you listen to all the stuff posted, MissRT? Because I'm having difficulty taking your renewed question seriously with all the kick-ass shit that's been posted. Honestly, listen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...