Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amy Winehouse - Found Dead

ITGITC

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Giant Group Hug" might be a good name for an interactive worldwide band with members from across the known universe. Some of my best friends are Klingons, etc.

Seriously, I enjoy visiting here, although I know it's not the thread where I BELONG, LOL!

My Dad and I enjoy listening to her music and felt that she was both a very gifted yet troubled person. Her band is top notch and it must have been incredibly difficult for them to perform with her when she was falling apart, which was most often.

The addiction issue has many elements to it and most folks have no idea as to what demons these addicts battle with, unless one has lived in their shoes. Addiction takes on many forms, and hers will always get more attention, especially with her fame.

BTW I remember reading somewhere that Chet Baker would often say "I just want to get 'F*****d Up' after a performance. Then again, his addiction is another story in itself!

Amy RIP.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

• 3 weeks later...
according to her family via BBC, the toxicology report released today revealed that she had NO illegal drugs in her system, just alcohol. Cause of death still being evaluated...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

according to her family via BBC, the toxicology report released today revealed that she had NO illegal drugs in her system, just alcohol. Cause of death still being evaluated...

They didn't say anything about legal drugs. For instance, Heath Ledger died from taking an accidental overdose of prescription medications.

It is probably better to wait for the coroner's report rather than take the word of a spokesperson or family member but either way, there is no reason to disparage the dead. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

:(

I'm still disappointed.

I suppose I'd hoped it would've been something more accidental.

I stand by my earlier opinion that AW was a personality that responded badly

to being hounded over her choices and may've done better if left alone.

People cite her song "Rehab" as if it were some blind, arrogant blurb

but if one actually examines the lyrics they're quite poignant.

look at this clip

and read the lines.

She seemed more self-aware and, unfortunately, hurt, than arrogant.

I'd rather be at home with Ray [Charles]...

....there's nothing that you can teach me that I can't learn from Mr. [Donny] Hathaway...

...I didn't catch a lot in class but I know we don't come in a shotglass...

...the man said, "why you think you're here?"; I said, "I have no idea"...

...he said, "I just think you're depressed"...

...That's me ...

...I don't ever want to drink again, I just need a friend...

....it's not just my pride. it's just 'til these tears have dried...

:facepalm:

"The man said: 'Why do you think you're here?...' I said: 'I got no idea'..."

THAT was the problem.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

They didn't say anything about legal drugs. For instance, Heath Ledger died from taking an accidental overdose of prescription medications.

exactly, same happened with Michael Jackson - legal drugs are as deadly or even more as illegal drugs. Especially when mixed with alcohol. Marijuana never killed anybody, xanax did as many other so called prescription drugs.

Alcohol alone can kill as well...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

exactly, same happened with Michael Jackson - legal drugs are as deadly or even more as illegal drugs. Especially when mixed with alcohol. Marijuana never killed anybody, xanax did as many other so called prescription drugs.

The specific case with Michael Jackson (though most definitely a drug addict) was that he was administered a powerful general anesthetic by a physician (in this case a "cardiologist") who was not trained in its proper use, and more importantly did not maintain the standard of vigilance necessary when administering this drug. But I am definitely in agreement that legal drugs are easily as dangerous, especially when misused.

"The man said: 'Why do you think you're here?...' I said: 'I got no idea'..."

THAT was the problem.

Not to continue this, but I think the highlighted portion below better demonstrates the real problem.

People cite her song "Rehab" as if it were some blind, arrogant blurb

but if one actually examines the lyrics they're quite poignant.

look at this clip

and read the lines.

She seemed more self-aware and, unfortunately, hurt, than arrogant.

I'd rather be at home with Ray [Charles]...

....there's nothing that you can teach me that I can't learn from Mr. [Donny] Hathaway...

...I didn't catch a lot in class but I know we don't come in a shotglass...

...the man said, "why you think you're here?"; I said, "I have no idea"...

...he said, "I just think you're depressed"...

...That's me ...

...I don't ever want to drink again, I just need a friend...

....it's not just my pride. it's just 'til these tears have dried...

:facepalm:

I think the one thing we can all agree to is that this was a shame.

I recorded a cd 6 months ago and it just got released. I covered Amy Winehouse's "Rehab."

I thought that while she had her problems, she was one of the newer pop stars that actually had some talent and "real" songs. I saw her band play a live concert and was impressed.

What do you guys think of my version?

My CD - Click here!

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

I recorded a cd 6 months ago and it just got released. I covered Amy Winehouse's "Rehab."

I thought that while she had her problems, she was one of the newer pop stars that actually had some talent and "real" songs. I saw her band play a live concert and was impressed.

What do you guys think of my version?

My CD - Click here!

I liked the snipet of it on there. I guess the decision to make a bouncy version of it is, in retrospect, well, hmm, I dunno.

There's probably a few songs on that album that could be alright as instrumentals.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 3 weeks later...
Every time this thread pops back to the top, I just think of the Chevy Chase line... "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Here is the most revealing part of the interview video starting at 1:08.

"Of course I know it, Mitchell... I'm your daughter. Of course I know it."

What a character! :cool:

[video:youtube]F9BZLTuYMXI

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If I had a final performance before I croaked this sort of video wouldn't suck at all.

RIP.

Unfortunately, her final performance was not this one... it was in Belgrade... and we all know how that went...

If I had a final performance before I croaked this sort of video wouldn't suck at all.

RIP.

Unfortunately, her final performance was not this one... it was in Belgrade... and we all know how that went...

what, you never had bad day?...

RIP.

what, you never has bad day?...

Nor a Grammy.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

Many speak to her early talent. Well she had late talent also...

She was born with a truly amazing gift. Her voice was "one in a million". I wonder if that pressure had anything to do with her demise.

She'll be missed.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

She was born with a truly amazing gift. Her voice was "one in a million". I wonder if that pressure had anything to do with her demise.

Today's corporate music scene does not reward talent, and the majority of today's fans don't honor it. So if her unique talent created pressure for her, it was probably more due to the fact that her celebrity was not based on it, rather than the idea that too many people paid attention to her because of it.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

RIP.

what, you never had bad day?...

More than a bad day there and you know it. I bet Hammonddave has never been S---faced out of his gourd as a solo artist in front of hundreds of big $ paying fans, no.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived