Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amy Winehouse - Found Dead

ITGITC

Amy Winehouse, 27, found dead at her London flat

CNN reports today at 12:34 EDT.

STORY HERE

AND HERE

Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her home in London, it has been reported.

The Back To Black singer was apparently found at 4pm and her death is believed to be unexplained.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018020/Amy-Winehouse-confirmed-dead.html#ixzz1SwnBmlHQ

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's a shame. I'm a bit surprised at my own sadness at this. Nothing against her, but I didn't think I was that interested nor invested in her. I guess I had hoped she still had time to come through.

:(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

People who never suffered from that level of compulsion and madness in their addictions are too quick to judge.

Actually, they had good judgment to not have such addictions.

If only such "decisions" were so easy. :rolleyes:

[sorry guys. I've since considered editing/"deleting" this post, but it seems pointless since it has been quoted.]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Tragic and expected...with all our knowledge of chemistry/physiology and psychology, we still can't help people stay away from addiction.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Currently, her Rehab video on YouTube is 7,577,249 views at 1:13 EDT, 23JUL11.

I'll bet it hits 8,000,000 before midnight.

RIP, Amy Winehouse.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tragic and expected...with all our knowledge of chemistry/physiology and psychology, we still can't help people stay away from addiction.

Nope. And some of the most creative artists, the lyricists, have it the worst. The usual social structures and inhibitions--family and work and jail and reputation--don't work for them. Meds kill their creativity and hitting bottom means nothing to them. They then become secular Buddhists and reject materialism :)

I think I'll watch 'Amadeus' today and brew some xtra strong beans. Maybe locate Todd Rundgren's 'The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect'.

Many people have addictive personalities. As a group, they often end up addicted to something, whether its drugs, alcohol, or even more constructive things. Like playing the piano at a level that is an obsession. These types of people are not the kind of people that can have just one of anything. Most of them have little or no self control. I'm sure that you've run into these types of people.

I don't want to give addicted people an excuse for being addicts, but becoming an addict is not simply because they hung out with the wrong crowd, drank too much because others did, or did harder drugs because it was the cool thing to do. If the problem were that simple, there would be a cure.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If only such "decisions" were so easy. :rolleyes:

Plenty easy for me...

:snax:

Then you are lucky and will lead a much better life than her. People choose to take the first drink, but they don't choose to become addicted. Sort of the opposite of what we have learned on this forum. People don't choose to be stupid, but they do choose to make stupid comments.

So many people saw this coming, but it seems that the more power, fame and money you have the easier it is to resist forced intervention.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I really dug Amy's sound--it was one of the first in the new neo-soul movement that also includes Adele and Duffy. Or at least, one of the first to really go big.

I understand that it's very hard for many people to have sympathy for what seems like a self-created problem. And addiction is paradoxical: It starts with a voluntary behavior, but at some point, the person crosses a line where they arguably cannot help themselves.

I've never gone in for the idea that addiction is a disease in the same sense that influenza or cancer is a disease. Yet, thinking of it as strictly a moral or character flaw, as society did in pre-AA days, seems just as wrong. I think science needs to understand more about the neurophysiology of addiction before society can arrive at a "right" way to define and respond to it.

In any case, Winehouse's passing is a sad loss of talent and I'll miss her music.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I too am very saddened by this... When they cancelled the rest of her tour I was hoping that they would commit her to a REAL rehab program... one that basically isolates the patient from the outside world (similar to what Chuck Negron finally did to get off heroin).

But I know that sometimes it is difficult to do this... Sadly she was spiraling downwards, and her management was not strong enough to take care of her. So sad...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I really dug Amy's sound--it was one of the first in the new neo-soul movement that also includes Adele and Duffy. Or at least, one of the first to really go big.

I understand that it's very hard for many people to have sympathy for what seems like a self-created problem. And addiction is paradoxical: It starts with a voluntary behavior, but at some point, the person crosses a line where they arguably cannot help themselves.

I've never gone in for the idea that addiction is a disease in the same sense that influenza or cancer is a disease. Yet, thinking of it as strictly a moral or character flaw, as society did in pre-AA days, seems just as wrong. I think science needs to understand more about the neurophysiology of addiction before society can arrive at a "right" way to define and respond to it.

In any case, Winehouse's passing is a sad loss of talent and I'll miss her music.

Well said....and Classy too!

My prayers go out to her family and loved ones.

Archived