Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amy Winehouse - Found Dead

ITGITC

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's bad news, but not unexpected unfortunately. It's really bad to think what a more "balanced" Amy Winehouse could achieve in the future.

But -and let's be realistic- do i FEEL sad? No, i don't. She had all the chances in her life to make it big but she blew it. She had money, fame, the gift of music, loyal fans, a dream life - nada. I feel sad for her family. Sad, for the lost chances. Sad for music. But i think she threw away a god-send gift (and her life as well) and this is like insult.

(to be honest, today i feel sad for the 92 innocent people killed by the norwegian lunatic...).

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

The research into hardened addicts and alcoholics is revealing a genetic predisposition to drug abuse.

The research is several years ahead of homosexuality in respect to understanding biochemical predispositions and the effects of supporting and enabling or aggravating environments on the biological condition.

OTOH public acceptance of the genetic basis of homosexuality is light years ahead of public acceptance for the genetic basis of hardened abuse.

>> Science Daily (Feb. 7, 2009) New research from the University of Virginia Health System could help explain why some alcoholics are more severe drinkers than others. A UVA team has found strong evidence that the serotonin transporter gene, SLC6A4, plays a significant role in influencing drinking intensity among alcohol-dependent individuals. <<

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090204121517.htm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0847/is_n3_v14/ai_11129865/

How about taking responsibility for your actions? Her song, Rehab, pretty much explains it all...

Many people die every day of drug and alcohol abuse. It is amazing to me that so many get so upset when someone famous pisses it all away. Yes, I am sad for the waste of life and talent... but these people choose their fate.

Life is precious, and we should mourn when anyone wastes a life. But when people's lives are taken against their will (like our Norwegian friends), this is truly a tragedy...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I really dug Amy's sound--it was one of the first in the new neo-soul movement that also includes Adele and Duffy. Or at least, one of the first to really go big.

I understand that it's very hard for many people to have sympathy for what seems like a self-created problem. And addiction is paradoxical: It starts with a voluntary behavior, but at some point, the person crosses a line where they arguably cannot help themselves.

I've never gone in for the idea that addiction is a disease in the same sense that influenza or cancer is a disease. Yet, thinking of it as strictly a moral or character flaw, as society did in pre-AA days, seems just as wrong. I think science needs to understand more about the neurophysiology of addiction before society can arrive at a "right" way to define and respond to it.

In any case, Winehouse's passing is a sad loss of talent and I'll miss her music.

Thanks Stephen, I was beginning to think this was going to be (yet) another Sven hijack groundhog day thread... Guys, hopefully I'm not alone when I think all this endless eating popcorn icon stuff is tiresome and childish.. I really wish it would stop and I think its to the detriment of this forum.

On topic: I really dug Amy Winehouse and when I first heard her on Jools Holland's "Later" programme when she was starting I was really struck by her coolness with respect to tasteful jazz voicings and her phrasing... while I think the music went somewhere else after that (and maybe this was her downfall) she is/was a true legend. for years before that I think R n B and soul were in the douldrums and anything but soulful... funny how a UK chick could stir it up....

Many people die every day of drug and alcohol abuse. It is amazing to me that so many get so upset when someone famous would piss it all away.

Absolutely true. The only thing that makes a celebrity death in this regard have any higher level of importance versus anyone else's is that their influence on other people (especially young people) might make someone think twice about turning to hard drugs and excessive drinking.

No guarantees of that, but the grim reminder of mortality can go a long way.

It's all very sad. No one should die at age 27. Life's just getting good at that point.

How about taking responsibility for your actions? Her song, Rehab, pretty much explains it all...

Many people die every day of drug and alcohol abuse. It is amazing to me that so many get so upset when someone famous pisses it all away. Yes, I am sad for the waste of life and talent... but these people choose their fate.

Life is precious, and we should mourn when anyone wastes a life. But when people's lives are taken against their will (like our Norwegian friends), this is truly a tragedy...

With respect to the first part easier said than done... I know many highly creative musicians now and I really struggle to think of many people who can really balance their lives out.

I live in Oslo (though I am away in Italy atm) and it's a mental time for us....

I take it you aren't a believer in the Fates, the Graces, the Muses, or the Furies and won't be writing a song mourning Amy's tragic destiny and her fatal flaw. No tragic Greek readings of Lennon's "Happiness is a Warm Gun" or Amy's "Rehab" from you I see.

Thanks Stephen, I was beginning to think this was going to be (yet) another Sven hijack groundhog day thread...

Wow... I can't catch a break, can I? :facepalm:

We're all a little worried about your apparent addiction to popcorn.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Are you implying that feeling sorry for Amy Winehouse demonstrates disrespect for the casualties in Norway? Like it's a zero-sum game, or something? That's a bizarre thought.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I live in Oslo (though I am away in Italy atm) and it's a mental time for us....

Hang in there... we care about you. I work in Oslo every year and have a lot of friends there. In fact, I will be flying there in two weeks to work on a show.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Are you implying that feeling sorry for Amy Winehouse demonstrates disrespect for the casualties in Norway? Like it's a zero-sum game, or something? That's a bizarre thought.

Let me state it more directly:

I don't feel sorry for people who kill themselves...

However, I do feel empathy for those who are killed and hurt by others. And that includes all those innocent Norwegians... people who are maimed and killed by drunk and stoned drivers... and Amy's loved ones....

So sad indeed. A waste of talent. The outcome was inevitable, however.

RIP

Agreed. I just hope that her death can be a wake-up call, especially to musicians. I was fortunate, I just celebrated my 7th year of Sobriety. Others are not, so maybe her early demise might inspire a few folks to cut back on the substance abuse.

So sad indeed. A waste of talent. The outcome was inevitable, however.

RIP

Agreed. I just hope that her death can be a wake-up call, especially to musicians. I was fortunate, I just celebrated my 7th year of Sobriety. Others are not, so maybe her early demise might inspire a few folks to cut back on the substance abuse.

+1

...and inspire others to keep a look-out for their friends and loved ones who may be heading down that path as well....

...and congratulations on your continued sobriety! There is hope for everyone.

Thanks Stephen, I was beginning to think this was going to be (yet) another Sven hijack groundhog day thread...

Wow... I can't catch a break, can I? :facepalm:

You really can't, it would seem. Sort of amazing to watch. :wave:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

....but on the topic....

Audrey and I just got home from a gig in Fresno (we stayed overnight), and saw this news.

We were both big fans of Amy, and loved her music since it first drifted over the pond a few years ago. We've both sort of watched in horror as she went down the path she's on, but we've been hoping that she would eventually find recovery. Addiction has been so close to both of our families and lives that we had personal reasons for both the horror and the hope.

For those of us her were, in fact, fans of her music -- wouldn't it have been great to hear another album after some balance and sanity was restored to her life? Her experiences combined with her lyric-writing ability could have made for some great new songs.

Sadly, none of that is to be now.

I never knew her, of course, but I loved her music, and the possibility of more of it will be missed. By Audrey and me if no one else.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Let me state it more directly:

I don't feel sorry for people who kill themselves...

I think this shows a lack of understanding regarding addiction. I never knew Ms. Winehouse but I would bet my last dollar that if she could have kicked her drug habit she would have. I don't think on the average don't addicts chooses to die from overdosing.

I think we can agree that her passing is so tragic because she didn't have to die.

This is why I have a problem with people like .50 cent and Jay-Z who talk unapologetically about their previous lives as drug dealers. This is what drug dealers are really delivering. A prison of agony, loss of everything a person cherishes in life and then death.

Peace

Every death like Amy Winehouse's is a tragedy. This talented woman should not be dead at 27. Alcoholism and drug addiction are diseases - fatal diseases. It killed her. This kills most people, whether you agree with the theory and medical research or not. She did not die of a moral flaw or failure of willpower. Read the first 164 pages of the big book and see what you find there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8657002/The-27-club-the-musicians-who-played-fast-and-died-young.html

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I really dug Amy's sound--it was one of the first in the new neo-soul movement that also includes Adele and Duffy. Or at least, one of the first to really go big.

I understand that it's very hard for many people to have sympathy for what seems like a self-created problem. And addiction is paradoxical: It starts with a voluntary behavior, but at some point, the person crosses a line where they arguably cannot help themselves.

I've never gone in for the idea that addiction is a disease in the same sense that influenza or cancer is a disease. Yet, thinking of it as strictly a moral or character flaw, as society did in pre-AA days, seems just as wrong. I think science needs to understand more about the neurophysiology of addiction before society can arrive at a "right" way to define and respond to it.

In any case, Winehouse's passing is a sad loss of talent and I'll miss her music.

Well put.

I feel sorry for those who lack the empathy for anyone who's failed to face their personal demons. For the most part, it's self-congradulatory hubris. Yup, Amy failed. It's a tragedy. No, it's not as tragic as people who are senselessly killed by maniacs, but is that really the question?

Of course we should responsibility for our own choices. To do otherwise is a ticket to nowhere I'd want to be.

It's very upsetting to turn the computer on right now and see this. I logged into my aol mail and saw her picture but no headline but pretty much figured it would say that. And dammit, it's that fn 27 number again. I was just a at Doors tribute gig and we had mentioned all on the list. This sucks. I wasn't an album or concert going fan, but I did like her voice and music and the songs I'd been exposed to learning for gigs. Like if the headline reads the same about Charlie Sheen, it didn't/doesn't take much genius to figure it pretty much seemed like it was going to go this way. Sad.

Then this shows up in the local headlines tonight and I figure we are doomed..

>> Bridgeport, CT -- A city woman was in custody after police said she forced her 4-year-old son to chug a bottle of beer and then gave her 10-month-old daughter beer and cocaine.

Police said they spotted an empty 40-ounce bottle of Steel Reserve beer on the ground beside the boy. Police said witnesses told them that Jefferson had handed the bottle of beer to the boy and ordered him to chug it. When he had finished it police said Jefferson called the boy an alcoholic.

Both children were taken to Bridgeport Hospital where police said both the boy and girl tested positive for alcohol and the 10-month-old also had cocaine in her system. While being examined, police said the 4-year-old told a social worker he likes, "Natural Ice beer, Budweiser beer, but didn't like the taste of Dog-Bite beer."

Police said Dunn told them Jefferson gives her son a bottle of beer everyday but she didn't know how her 10-month-old daughter tested positive for cocaine since she doesn't breast feed her.

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/news/art...p#ixzz1SzWvr33c <<

I watched this today after I heard the news. In hindsight, it not only seems prophetic but it's such a cry for help. How could the band/mgmt/handlers even allow her to walk on stage in this condition? Pathetic and tragic.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJg8901qAU

Absolutely, the people who handled her, loved money more than her obviously. I would boycott this group! Horrible, horrible to put her on the road when she was not through with rehab.

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Archived