Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amy Winehouse - Found Dead

ITGITC

...anyone who keeps up with this stuff; music/performance/pop culture could see this ending for Winehouse.

Another name going back to bluesman Robert Johnson through Hank Williams and the rockers of the 60's and 70's has been added.

Most of us will live to see more...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never into her, although I respected her talent.

I totally agree: RIP Amy. And judgmentalism doesn't help anybody.

I would say that we can maybe contribute by not making her into a "romantic hero" as happened with Jim Morrison (the doomed poet) and (maybe) Kurt Cobain.

There is nothing "romantic" about addictions and suicide. Charlie Parker and other geniuses made their great music in spite of their addictions, not because of them. Otherwise, every local drunk and druggie would be a genius.

I hope I'm not coming off as preachy, but we could gently remind kids that drugs and alcohol in excess will only hinder them as musicians and people. Unless they think dying at 27 is COOL or something.....

I always wonder what would have happened if these rock stars would still be alive. Would nirvana still be making badass records? Would the doors have made a record better than LA woman? Hendrix seemed to be going down the path "band of gypsy's", that might have led to great albums. Of course even if these artists have been past their "musical prime" fans seem to love hearing the old bands playing the old hits 30-40 years later. Look at the Stones and McCartney. In other words, i guess what i'm asking myself is, would Winehouse have just faded away like so many artists do or did she have staying power?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I would say that we can maybe contribute by not making her into a "romantic hero" as happened with Jim Morrison (the doomed poet) and (maybe) Kurt Cobain.

There is nothing "romantic" about addictions and suicide. Charlie Parker and other geniuses made their great music in spite of their addictions, not because of them. Otherwise, every local drunk and druggie would be a genius.

I hope I'm not coming off as preachy, but we could gently remind kids that drugs and alcohol in excess will only hinder them as musicians and people. Unless they think dying at 27 is COOL or something.....

I agree that there is nothing romantic about this, and that the great artists create DESPITE not BECAUSE of their demons...unfortunately, for the young, it CAN be romantic and cool to die young - hence the status of Morrison and Cobain, and James Dean in his time, etc.

It is the old question: would you rather die young and be talked about forever, or live to a ripe old age and die obscure - even the Viking sagas posed this question to their heros.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

First of all, let me say how much I resent the reminder to "keep it classy". I have been busted for such ( perceived ) infractions before and as far as I am concerned the real classlessness is to appoint yourself as the morality monitor of this forum.

If you don't get the irony, specifically me saying it, then there's no hope for you, I'm afraid. You'll just have to remain clueless. :wave:

I've never gone in for the idea that addiction is a disease in the same sense that influenza or cancer is a disease. Yet, thinking of it as strictly a moral or character flaw, as society did in pre-AA days, seems just as wrong. I think science needs to understand more about the neurophysiology of addiction before society can arrive at a "right" way to define and respond to it.

Well-said, and agreed.

I'm not personally affected by Miss Winehouse's death, but there are those in the world that loved and cared for her, and I sympathize with them. May their grief be softened and good memories of their time with her be sustained.

I was inspired to listen to Billy Holiday yesterday. I don't think her hard living or hard life should be romanticized either. But I am attracted to her story nonetheless.

Nina Simone's tribute to Holiday, her cover of Strange Fruit, is both homage and testimony. Powerful images and somehow the lifestyles of the two singers seem both relevant and not to the overall generational theme.

I don't know if Amy's "Rehab" is the generational song as Nevermind was. But it surely describes the 'Naughts' better than Nevermind would and better than Strange Fruit does or "The End".

It's the type of story that will get romanticized. A generational Gimme Shelter? I don't know. Maybe. The combination of self-indulgence and helplessness of money and happiness fits the generation somehow. We are too close to it now I think.

The whole reality TV and "I went from American Idol to Celebrity Rehab" thing can be be blown up to a much larger themes with Amy as the generational prima donna. Her quest to be 'thin' looking like Elizabeth Hassebleck in her last days on Survivor or Kate Moss when she was working the meth ho as model angle or the made-to-order girlfriend for Johnny Depp's next installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean". A female Keith Richards if Richards was ever really as bad as claimed.

As expected her new album is ready for release as her catalog is now "Top of the Pops" in Britain.

[video:youtube]

I have not read one posting in this thread. I'm assuming that everyone here is treating her as the next Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Morrison, etc. I feel bad for her family, but not for her. Sorry, but I don't equate her talent to that of the previous artists I've mentioned. That's all I have to say on this topic.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I have not read one posting in this thread. I'm assuming that everyone here is treating her as the next Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Morrison, etc. I feel bad for her family, but not for her. Sorry, but I don't equate her talent to that of the previous artists I've mentioned. That's all I have to say on this topic.

Some of us agree with you. But the discussion is a tribute to an artist with a terminal drug addiction. And since she is recently passed, it is probably not appropriate to diss her musical legacy...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

More warm and fuzzy thoughts about the recently departed. Thanks for that, and don't worry, you're not piling on at all.

It is my contention that, contrary to popular belief, history does not repeat itself. There will be no more Joplins, Hendrixes, or Morrisons, because it's a different world than it was 40 years ago. For one thing, our attention has become so fragmented and attenuated, and there are so many more artists vying for it, that the same opportunities do not exist to climb to that pinnacle of greatness. And that's just one reason among many that there will probably be no more Janis Joplins. You can enjoy artists like Amy Winehouse while she's still around, or you can live in nostalgia. There's plenty of precedent for choosing the latter route.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

So many of life's woes and sufferings are a result of things that either go into or come out of ones mouth.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Amy used the NYC-based Dap Kings (of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings)for her US tour/sessions and then their vintage equipment tube crazy studio for recording chunks of her second album. Rehab was cut there.

Their new album "I Learned the Hard Way" is available on 11 45 singles for those who have to have their soul look and feel like vintage. Why waste a good vacuum tube recording to tape on a compressed CD pressing where you can enjoy all that analog saturation fatness?

I have a hard time accepting those who deny her talent.

Not liking her music is one thing. Not acknowledging that she was developing into an incredibly mature songwriter and had the vocal chops to deliver her songs with power and emotion is another.

Here's a sample of some of her lyrics, all written before the age of 23.

"Without you, a misery

Blue with a migraine

All the songs sound better when you're next to me

Hey, coz they come naturally

(Mr. Magic) Take a token

(Mr. Magic) Of my love

(Mr. Magic) I see you through the smoke

Waiting for the smoke to clear.

I'm waiting for the smoke to clear"

She ain't talkin' 'bout a dude!

"He left no time to regret

Kept his dick wet

With his same old safe bet

Me and my head high

And my tears dry

Get on without my guy

You went back to what you knew

So far removed from all that we went through

And I tread a troubled track

My odds are stacked

I'll go back to black"

"We could a never had it all,

We had to hit a wall,

So this is inevitable withdrawal,

Even if I stop wanting you,

A Perspective pushes true,

I'll be some next man's other woman soon,

I shouldn't play myself again,

I should just be my own best friend,

Not fuck myself in the head with stupid men,"

"Cause' I've forgotten all of young love's joy,

Feel like a lady, but you my lady boy,

You should be stronger than me,

But instead you're longer than frozen turkey,

Why'd you always put me in control?

All I need is for my man to live up to his role,

Always wanna talk it through- I'm ok,

Always have to comfort you every day,

But that's what I need you to do - are you gay?"

She was clearly a troubled soul searching for real love. She knew she had drug and alcohol problems and wrote about it in her music constantly.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

What is this absurd fascination with dead celebrities who refused help on conquering their demons and allowed their addictions to trash their career and reputation?

The only difference between a dead celebrity addict and your typical dead addict is fame. Thankfully, apparently you have escaped knowing either.

When you experience the death and waste of a life that hits close to home, you can answer your question for yourself. Until then, see CEBs comment above.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

What is this absurd fascination with dead celebrities who refused help on conquering their demons and allowed their addictions to trash their career and reputation?

The only difference between a dead celebrity addict and your typical dead addict is fame. Thankfully, apparently you have escaped knowing either.

When you experience the death and waste of a life that hits close to home, you can answer your question for yourself.

Don't even think I don't know the meaning of suffering from the loss of a loved one from addiction, my friend. Don't you even think.

Until then, see CEBs comment above.

In the spirit of CEB quoting scripture, I offer this from the Gospel: Why do you seek the living among the dead?

I've read every post in this thread, and it's been difficult to put a response into words.

I think it's easy to feel like we know celebrities after being fed lots of information about them, but knowing facts--or "factoids"--isn't the same as actually knowing someone. As a result, I don't feel qualified to comment on her personal struggles; but I do feel the world is diminished when we lose someone with talent and promise, especially at a young age.

RIP Amy Winehouse.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Apparently, the Autopsy was inconclusive and they still won't know how she died for a couple of weeks...that seems odd.

Not really. It can take several months in the USA for a full toxicology report in an autopsy. The thing that makes it seem odd is that a living person can pee in a cup and three minutes later find out what substances they've been ingesting. Apparently it's not that easy with a corpse, I'm guessing.

It's a shame. She wasn't some American Idol pro tooled fake artist. She sang, played keyboard, wrote her own music and lyrics. Sure, there was help from her production team, but to me she was the real deal. Not the greatest talent there ever was in the world but she had something special. That's what makes it sad. What a stupid waste.

She sang, played keyboard, wrote her own music and lyrics.
If you can call these lyrics:

Kept his dick wet

With his same old safe bet"

I'll take a room full of monkeys with typewriters for $200, Alex.

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Kept his dick wet

Seriously? This is what we are about on this forum now? Taking three lines of lyrics to demonstrate the perceived worth of someone who has been dead for all of 48 hours?

I actually expect the sort of thing that this thread has become from the comment section of any newspaper's online presence. But for some reason I have, until recently, believed that this place was better than all that.

Silly me. :(

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Kept his dick wet

Seriously? This is what we are about on this forum now? Taking three lines of lyrics to demonstrate the perceived worth of someone who has been dead for all of 48 hours?

I actually expect the sort of thing that this thread has become from the comment section of any newspaper's online presence. But for some reason I have, until recently, believed that this place was better than all that.

Silly me. :(

--Dave

Even I find this pretty revolting... and you guys know me...

As a matter of semantics, she's not "resting"... she is DEAD!!! Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, there is a big difference between resting and being dead. (For more information watch Monty Python's Dead Parrot Routine..). Hate to be so harsh, but that is the truth.

But we should all agree on one thing: Out of respect we should not speak poorly of the dead and not trash her artistic abilities. Even though some of us may not have appreciated her music, legacy, and performance abilities. The best thing to do is to look at what positives can come out of this.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This is what we are about on this forum now? Taking three lines of lyrics to demonstrate the perceived worth of someone who has been dead for all of 48 hours?
No one said that was her perceived worth except you. I simply questioned her lyrics which were previously lauded, and I used the ones that were quoted. I wasn't sure if I was missing a joke, though, and the OP wasn't really laughing at her. Sarcasm is hard to tell sometimes if you don't know the speaker.

I mean:

"You should be stronger than me,

But instead you're longer than frozen turkey"

Don't you think Ian was making fun of her? I don't know. I just think the lyrics are laughable, and was only rebutting her lyrical accomplishments. This is a music forum. Your mileage may vary.

Her personal worth is far greater.

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Another fan of her music, here. It's painful to watch her trip and fall over "Just Friends" in that final performance vid; such a cool song, in many respects:

[video:youtube]

RIP, Amy.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

Archived