Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You know you're getting old when:.......

MikeT156

Here's something that was posted by GuitarplayerFL on the Guitar Forum and I really had to laugh. I thought you guys (and Sue) would appreciate this. How many of these are true about YOU?

OLD MUSICIANS

You know you're getting OLD when:...

It's more important to find a place on stage for your fan than your amp.

The waitress is your daughter.

Most of your crowd just sways in their seats.

Your gig stool has a back.

All you want from groupies is a foot massage & back rub.

You take the elevator because you can sing along with most of

the songs because they're on your set list.

You check the TV schedule before booking a gig.

You're related to at least one band member.

You stop the set because your ibuprofen fell behind your amp.

You actually attended a Beatles performance.

You buy amps based on their weight instead of their tone.

You remember 6 different club names for the same location.

During breaks, you now go to the van to...lay down!

At least 5 or 6 for me. :D

We couldn't get tickets for the Beatles performance at Shea Stadium, so we listened to what we could from across the parking lot outside my sister's apartment in Queens. We heard mostly screaming and lots of noise, but then.....it was free.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm not related to any current band members, but if I moved back to Des Moines I'd likely play with my sister and nephew in her church band on Sunday mornings.

Am I getting old? I don't know, but lots of my favorite musicians, none of the kids have ever heard of! Of course, I return the favor...

OLD MUSICIANS

You know you're getting OLD when:...

It's more important to find a place on stage for your fan than your amp.--my fan sits on top of my amp rack, directly to my left and aimed right at me.

The waitress is your daughter. --well, my daughter is a waitress, but not at a place I play. I COULD get her a job though!

Most of your crowd just sways in their seats. --most of our crowd is happy we start most gigs at 830!

Your gig stool has a back.-- hell yeah.

All you want from groupies is a foot massage & back rub.-- I don't even bother with them. My wife comes to most gigs lol.

You take the elevator because you can sing along with most of

the songs because they're on your set list. --not quite yet. Some, for sure.

You check the TV schedule before booking a gig.--not at that point yet! But if I'm called for a sub gig, I really evaluate what else I have going on that night.

You're related to at least one band member.-- no, but my brother plays drums in a different band and we've been in bands together in the past.

You stop the set because your ibuprofen fell behind your amp.-- i remember when the drawer in the rack held things other than the geezer drug stash of ibuprophen and antacid.

You actually attended a Beatles performance.-- no, I missed that.

You buy amps based on their weight instead of their tone. --not yet. Maybe when my weightlifting days are over...

You remember 6 different club names for the same location. Of course!

During breaks, you now go to the van to...lay down! Yeah, done that more than once.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I missed Hendrix. He was on last at Woodstock and we were all so fried (we had been there since Friday) we left before he took the stage.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You actually attended a Beatles performance.

We couldn't get tickets for the Beatles performance at Shea Stadium, so we listened to what we could from across the parking lot outside my sister's apartment in Queens. We heard mostly screaming and lots of noise, but then.....it was free.

Mike T.

August 21, 1966 Busch Stadium in St. Louis. I was there.

Sitting through (3) tunes of a jazz gig is enough upon realizing the time. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

....when you recall in detail the first time they ever played "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on the AM Radio station.

You remember the Dave Clark 5

You remember when 9 of the top 10 songs were the Beatles (Roy Orbison had #2 with Pretty Woman)

You remember Elvis's movies IN THE THEATERS

You remember when "Girl From Ipanema (or however its spelled) was first released

You remember when bands started using the Farfisa keyboard.

You remember seeing Buddy Holley and the Crickets on the Ed Sullivan Show (for that matter, you remember watching the Ed Sullivan show)

You remember Hullabaloo

And you remember all of the above, in detail, but not where you left your guitar picks!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

by Dave Ferris:

August 21, 1966 Busch Stadium in St. Louis. I was there.

What's more, that was their LAST US tour! Good one Dave!

edit: Well Donald M, that makes me ANCIENT cause I remember ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE IN YOUR LIST!

My sister saw Buddy Holly and the Crickets LIVE in 1958.

Mike T.

I saw the Beatles in 1964 at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

I not only saw Hendrix on his first US tour, my pathetic little pimple faced band got to open the show. :o

I saw Zeppelin play acoustically, sitting on pillows as an opening act for Arlo Guthrie. :crazy:

I saw half the audience boo Dylan when he brought out The Band.

Hell.....I saw Elvis.

Now that's old :/

I'm happy to report that despite turning 50 in the next 24 hours or so, the only point that applies to me is the weight thing. I've had a bad back for more than 10 years now, and I'm feeling *much* better today than when i was 40! :)

The sax player in my band actually saw Charlie Parker play at a club. Now, that's really old. :eek:

I occasionally do studio work for a great local jazz pianist who came up in the 50's and '60's. Once we were working together and he was trying to remember the name of a sax player, "You know, that new guy who played with Miles." Turns out he meant Wayne Shorter :-)

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

You fondly remember the days when you walked into a club and there was a B-3 or at least a decent piano............

Your first "gig" was a frat dance and you dragged your Wurlitzer 140B and Haynes Bass King II amp up 2 flights of stairs, got set up in 8 minutes and in your excitement punched the on/off (illuminated pushbutton) switch so hard it went THROUGH the housing, then had to feverishly unscrew the control panel, cut the mains wires off the switch and Band-Aid (?) them together so you wouldn't fry........

What a life....

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I'm happy to report that despite turning 50 in the next 24 hours or so,
Happy Birthday Carlo! Glad you're enjoying 50(ish) more than 40.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm happy to report that despite turning 50 in the next 24 hours or so, the only point that applies to me is the weight thing. I've had a bad back for more than 10 years now, and I'm feeling *much* better today than when i was 40! :)

Happy Birthday, Carlo! I'm glad I'm here to celebrate this little piece of history with you - 50's a great age - and to have shared our many musical experiments in the reharm thread. Have a great day, man.

Happy Birthday Carlo!

...and thanks for being a part of our worldwide community...

:thu:

Back on topic:

You know you are old when music-on-hold meant you had stopped practicing, picked up the phone and waited for the operator to come on and ask you what number you wanted her to ring...

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

by humannoyed:

Back on topic:

You know you are old when music-on-hold meant you had stopped practicing, picked up the phone and waited for the operator to come on and ask you what number you wanted her to ring...

Day

Wow, even I'm not old enough to remember that! :rawk:

Mike T.

Archived