Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Check out this band photo...

Botch

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, how many of those original members are still alive and still in the band?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

probably my all-time favorite band...

agreed

Have you heard ' CTA " with Mark Bonilla ? Its quite good and on iTunes

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I was nuts for Chicago back in high school. I knew every trumpet part to every one of their hits, the horn players equivalent of a guitarist knowing every Jimmy Page or Keith Richards riff. Owned every album through "Hot Streets" which was the beginning of the end of my interest, which vanished during the David Foster administration.

Cnegrad: I thought it was only Danny Seraphine who doesn't speak to the remaining members (Lamm, Loughnane, Pankow, and Parazaider).

I was nuts for Chicago back in high school. I knew every trumpet part to every one of their hits, the horn players equivalent of a guitarist knowing every Jimmy Page or Keith Richards riff. Owned every album through "Hot Streets" which was the beginning of the end of my interest, which vanished during the David Foster administration.

Cnegrad: I thought it was only Danny Seraphine who doesn't speak to the remaining members (Lamm, Loughnane, Pankow, and Parazaider).

Funny - I didn't pick up on these guys until Foster was involved. Since I didn't start listening to pop music until 1980 (when I was 9), I simply missed a bunch of music most other players have been not only listening to, but playing for years. In fact, Foster is one of my greatest musical idols. I do have Chicago's Greatest Hits, Vol I - and there are some awesome tunes on that. I'll have to do some more listening, I suppose...

IIRC, Danny Seraphine lives up in the foothills of Colorado, no?

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Don't get me wrong: David Foster is a brilliant musician and producer. It's just that I hated hearing the band I loved through "Chicago X" diving head first into the deep end of the '80s soft rock power ballad pool. I don't remember if that change in direction came from Peter Cetera and others inside the group or the label. Maybe I should go back and watch that episode of "Behind the Music".

IMHO, "Make Me Smile" is one of the all time great horn charts in a rock song.

Damn...I thought that Denver and the Mile High Orchestra's new promo shot.

Hard to believe that this was Jimi's (Hendrix) favorite contemporary band looking at this promo shot!

Four of those 6 guys are still together Walt Parazaider, Lee Loughnane, James Pankow, Robert Lamm. Serafine isn't out and of course Kath is gone.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Mark Zeger said, "Cnegrad: I thought it was only Danny Seraphine who doesn't speak to the remaining members (Lamm, Loughnane, Pankow, and Parazaider)."

From what I've heard (third hand) from Cetera, none of them can tolerate each other anymore.

The record label was one the that decided that Chicago should keep making "Power" slow tunes. Of course, the band wanted to do other things and there was a conflict between them. Record labels always had a nasty habit of categorizing bands and expecting them to put out one formula song after the other. Boring for bands, usually a money maker for the record label.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Somebody's missing from the picture... Can anybody name all the guys in the photo in order?

The Chicago lineup on at least the first two albums had 7 members. So who's missing from this picture? Someone mentioned Lamm, Lognane, Pankow, and Parizader. And someone else said one of them was Terry Kath, so is it Seraphine or Cetera that's missing?

"Make Me Smile" is in Eb (verse is Cm). The horn soli in the middle of the tune is in Em.

Somebody's missing from the picture... Can anybody name all the guys in the photo in order?

According to the website (gotten from the photo properties) the band members were:

Chicago 1967

James Pankow; Lee Loughnane;

Walt Parazaider; Robert Lamm;

Terry Kath; Danny Seraphine

http://www.chicagotheband.com/photosgroup.htm

No way they are in this order in the photo...

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Record labels always had a nasty habit of categorizing bands and expecting them to put out one formula song after the other. Boring for bands, usually a money maker for the record label.

It's a hard habit to break. :rolleyes:

You apologize for that.

I'm certain.

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Record labels always had a nasty habit of categorizing bands and expecting them to put out one formula song after the other. Boring for bands, usually a money maker for the record label.

It's a hard habit to break. :rolleyes:

You apologize for that.

I'm certain.

:snax:

Had to do it. Low hanging fruit.

I vote (L-R) Jimmy, Walter, Lee, Robert and Terry standing... Danny seated. Lee is definitely the guy with the LONG face. Most guys have a 4 head - he's got a 5 head.

That sounds like Victor Borge's inflationary language.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Archived