Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you use multiple keyboards...

K K

If you use multiple keyboards... Do you align them? :confused:

http://membre.megaquebec.net/skriabin/Kurzs.jpg

Here are a few possible answers. What's yours?

• Yes, but only because it looks better.
  • Yes, otherwise I would play false notes switching from one to another.
  • No, because I have too much stuff on the sides (drawbar controller, beer 6-pack, crack pipe & ashtray, etc.).
  • No need to, because my multiple keyboards are actually a Hammond B3.
  • Some other answer.

(BTW, I wanted to create a poll, but couldn't find how, so you'll have to reply in text). :wave:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When using my Nord Electro 73 and my 88, I have to put my Electro Rack on my 73. The only way I can do this and have the NE 73 stable is to offset it from the 88, so F on the 73 sits over C on the 88.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I keep the boards aligned when I stack them because I'm an o/c freak. :freak:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have them aligned, and I wish I could figure out a way to get them closer. I like the design of the new Kawai CA-X, as it looks like a second keyboard would be positioned so the keys are very close, and with a little velcro, a two tier stand might not even be necessary.

I have my Nord Electro perched over my Yamaha S90 and I align the notes to match. I use the very best solution in stands, the Invisible brand stand (may they RIP gracefully). My S90 and Electo keyboards are about the same distance from one another as the 2 keyboards on a console Hammond. I need to have the keyboards lined up as I bounce between them quite a bit and rely upon this synchronization.

I try to line up the middle-Cs as best I can between my K2600 (bottom) and Triton-Pro (top). This seems to assist with my frame of reference between the two boards.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Never really thought about it prior to this thread. I always align my board the same way but its not around middle C. I align the symetricly so they are visually offset evenly. I have an 88 on the bottom, a 76 in the middle, and a 61 on top. They would be uneven visually if I aligned them around middle C. Not sure if that makes me anal retentive or not.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

No. When using my XK1 or XK3 or other 61 note clone, the organ is shifted quite a bit to the left to accommodate left hand comping. When using my Electro 73, it's still a bit left.

Otherwise, the only consideration I've ever used beside left hand accommodation and arm fatigue is balance (weight/stand).

One keyboard has no relation to the other for me.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Never aligned, top is always an 88 key and bottom is a 61...Great to have an MO on the bottom and it's very handy octave buttons. Never really thought much about aligning it, the way I set them up is more offset, it's just worked out that way for ease of use.

JH

I keep them aligned, but I wonder if it really makes any difference if it is not a set of Hammond keys....I can get them close if I put something directly on top of the MIDIBoard (like you did), but with most two-tiered setups it is still a bit of distance.

Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't align them. Well actually I do align them, just not by the notes. I align them by center of gravity. I have one of these type stands so I need to have the weight centered on the stand.

http://media.zzounds.com/media/fit,325by400/brand,zzounds/p2776b-6d769e14d42bcc492e9e3f1f75929dae.jpg

Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't align them. Well actually I do align them, just not by the notes. I align them by center of gravity. I have one of these type stands so I need to have the weight centered on the stand.

http://media.zzounds.com/media/fit,325by400/brand,zzounds/p2776b-6d769e14d42bcc492e9e3f1f75929dae.jpg

O hirdd upi ,oddrf ,u [pdy ejrm O dsof yjsy O fpm

y s;ohm ,u lrud royjrt/

Vst;

I used to, I don't anymore! I find it doesn't matter for me if the middle C's are aligned or not! To me the keyboard & keyboard stand height is the more critical measurement for my playing. I can get slight OCD over that. I have 3-4 stands and they are all at slightly different heights due to their design as are the various heights of my various keyboards. I find different boards sit better on some than on others. I need various rigs primarily because of playing area limitations and I like my rigs the way I like them. If I'm gonna gig, I'm gonna do it right! Some of the bands I work with hate that on a gig that has more space , but I really don't take that much gear compared to some people and I do resent that view of some bands in regards to keyboards these days! A minor complaint!

The height issue can become a conundrum of playing comfort if you gig alot with different rigs from week to week I find!

I usually play with either a XK-3 or CX-3 over a CP300 or a CP33, I do tend to skew my organ over to the right for my lead organ lines because I'm usually chording on piano or playing a pattern with my left hand (piano,EP,Clav mostly) and that spread feels more comfortable skewed right. When I'm doubling this only becomes a problem when I go for a full organ part on the top and want to keep the piano,clav,EP patch set and maybe dibbi-dabb back and forth were the LH organ registration is important, then I will split the organ because I usually use a separate drawbar setting for my left hand when playing organ and I have slight OCD about my LH drawbar settings compared to my RH. I find the left hand drawbar setup has to be just right for my ears compared to my right of split drawbar sound. If I'm soloing or chording with no LH organ part needed then I won't split the organ. In the first organ case (split), my arms are both skewed slightly right alittle more than I would like to, as is my torso, but this situation I have learned is the exception not the rule many time I will just leave the organ unsplit as I become more adept with doubing a LH piano part and organ.

On an all organ tune I run MIDI for my second lower drawbar bank and basically have a very comfortable B3 console like feel to the rig. That is my favorite way to play an all organ setup tune on my live rigs btw! My hands just go where they are suppossed, I dont't need visual alignment!

lb ;)

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

O hirdd upi ,oddrf ,u [pdy ejrm O dsof yjsy O fpm

y s;ohm ,u lrud royjrt/

Vst;

Damn that's hard to read. Yes I did miss your post. I replied after reading the posts on the first page before I realized there were two pages of posts.

O s, o,[trddrf yjsy upi ertr sn;r yp gohitr piy ejsy O etpyr/

Hppf kpn@

Vst;

I personally find alignment important especially with multi instruments set-ups. An extreme example would be if I split three totally different sounds over the span of each 88 note controller (lower, middle and high registers) to create six instruments. In such cases, alignment can help avoid mistakes bouncing from one controller to another.

Much like Rabid, I don't align. I use RD700 with a Motif 6 and slide the M6 over to the left so I can reach up higher with my left hand since I often play organ, horns or strings left handed. I never gave much though to lining up middle C. Now I wonder how far off I am.

No comments GAS. :eek::wave:

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I am at work right now, whoops, I mean O s, sy eptl tohjy mpe smf. pj jr;; gpthry yjod. I'll type normal.

I'm at work right now and can't check, but when I get home I'll see just have far off my keyboards are in terms of alignment.

If I did any typos in that shifted typing I was going, it would have been very frustrating for those trying to translate my posts.

:D

Carl

I am more concerned and in fact very anal about the boards being parallel. I run a three tier deal. The middle board's left-to-right position is dictated by its MIDI out not being blocked by the stand. The top one needs to be centered for stability (Micron), same for the bottom (88 note, weighted).

Regards,

Joe

I'm in the align middle C crowd. Always have, and I don't see reason to change now.

One thing I like about the Hammond XB2 is the button controls are on the front, under the keys. I can bring the top tier right down to the Hammond so there's not much space in between. Makes it where I don't have to reach too far to get to all 3 tiers.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived