Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low Down Lowdown

An outlet for all bassists to discuss their ideas, ask questions, and share their knowledge with each other.

Low Down Lowdown.jpg

24,729 topics in this forum

• 4 replies
  1. Bass Day LA...Really

• 5 replies
  2. Ampeg combos

• 7 replies
  3. Wal basses?

• 1 reply
    • 16 replies
  4. Srummin vs Pickin

• 11 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 3 replies
  5. 5 strings vs. 4 strings

• 18 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 2 replies
  6. Ampeg B-15

• 1 reply
    • 9 replies
    • 1 reply
  7. 250k/500k

• 5 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 3 replies
  8. I'm stuck ...

• 6 replies
  9. 18 cabs

• 3 replies
  10. other instruments

• 14 replies
  11. Tuning Stability

• 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 2 replies
  12. P+J... which brand?

• 5 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 23 replies
  13. ohm my

• 6 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 33 replies
    • 7.3k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 3 replies
  14. Thank you all

• 2 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 9.3k views
  15. Bass Combo

• 4 replies
    • 15 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• Steely Dan famously cycled through musicians on a single song!
    • I'm am buying a new 13" iPad Pro. My 2018 iPad Pro has been great, along with the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil 2. I use my iPad for both business and pleasure. Extensive note taking via Notability finally got me to stop using my Moleskine and scanning pages in 2018. After almost 6 years with trade in $$ and 0% interest via my Apple Card, it wasn't a hard decision.    Maybe the Logic Pro 2 for the iPad will get me to use it for music. So far, I've yet to do that as I have plenty of hardware and software horsepower without the iPad. FYI - the Nektar CS12 is a great Logic controller at fraction of the cost of SSL configs.
    • https://youtu.be/AzEBH6DZJVk?si=H_3okYTKpBK1KWnT
    • btw, decent MIDI support is where Hammond-Suzuki rises above the rest.  Go that extra yard and you'll find an audience that appreciates that extra yard.
    • At inception, ok, early iPads were conceived as media consumption devices.   I don't think Jobs or anyone at Apple imagined (at least at first) that developers would find so many productive and professional uses for the devices, pushing Apple to add capabilities to iOS/iPadOS and eventually concede that users wanted an iPad Pro with an M4, 8gb RAM and 2tb of storage.  This piece of tech is over $2k and certainly not a toy.   In fact, many people who have adapted their work habits to the iPad certainly do pass on the desktop/laptop macOS devices.  They don't need them anymore.  It's not for everyone, but only we can decide that for ourselves.  
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries