Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hardshell or gig bag?

dtituspacbell.net

I can see why many here choose gig bags for convenience, but many of you will find out the hard way, sometime in your life, that a gig bag is not enough protection.

Those who said they use hard cases for flight and travel with lots of gear are at least hedging their bets.

I had an acoustic guitar lose the whole headstock in a gig bag. In a cheap hard case it would never have been damaged.

The only bass I'd put in a gig bag for anything besides local gigs is the original Steinberger bass. (XL2 I think the model # was.) Why?

They originally used photocopies of magazine article clippings and owner testimonials to sell Steinbergers. At that time, one of the testimonials was from a bassist who set his gig bag (They only came in gig bags.) on the ground and his buddy ran over it with the car. Not only wasn't anything broken, it was still in tune! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bit about the Steinbergers always staying in tune, is a bogus one, strings stretch, I know, I have an XL2 and if I don't play it for a week it needs to be tuned, also if I play it for a week straight it needs to be tuned.

As for the gig bag vs case argument, the gig bag is for convenience and better portability and is not a substitute for a case, which I think is obvious.

Phil Smith - Creator of the iGigBook iPad/Android App

Over 1300 Jazz Chord Charts That You Can Transpose

Anyone seen the latest version of the Warwick "Rockbag?"Wow! More padding,heavier zippers,and they've replaced the thin plastic in the interior with really soft fuzzy stuff.There are 2 straps,each with seperate zippered compartments to store the strap in when not in use,and the straps themselves have little pouches on them for sundries.A fine example of Teutonic overkill if I ever saw one.I got one on Saturday for my FNA 5.

I found the website for the Ritter cases I saw at Rudy's. www.ritter-bags.com. They make backpacks and outdoor products, but they have a section for musical instrument bags. The "StarPack" style3 is the one I saw. It's awesome, built like a tank, looks like a spaceship and pockets out the wazoo!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived