Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

Cody Fry, Cory Wong, and the group Dynamo. Aside from the groove, horns, and other key parts I was struck by how well the simple SY77 riff cut through the mix:

[video:youtube]

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come really late to the party to the band Dawes, and have been completely knocked out. The star of the show is Taylor Goldsmith's unbelievable songwriting -- I think he is a lyrical genius, so down to earth but so direct and honest and smart, more comparable to someone like Stephen Sondheim than to most pop songwriters -- but they have a lot of tasty keyboard parts, especially since the arrival of Lee Pardini in the keyboard chair in 2016. Lee Pardini first caught my ear playing with Vulfpeck's Theo Katzman on his solo work, and I think he's magnificent, a player with a ton of chops who only ever plays exactly the part the song needs.

I'm going deep into this band's 10+ year discography but I included a tune with some somewhat showy keys below.

Oh, fun fact: Taylor Goldsmith and drummer/background vocalist brother Griffin are the sons of Lenny Goldsmith, who sang in Tower of Power in the 80s. Pretty sure Lee Pardini is also the son of Chicago's Lou Pardini. Talk about a leg up.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Transatlantic... psyching myself up for the huge new album coming out next week. I also recently learned that Flower Kings have a new album out. Gonna be a big year!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I've come really late to the party to the band Dawes, and have been completely knocked out. The star of the show is Taylor Goldsmith's unbelievable songwriting -- I think he is a lyrical genius, so down to earth but so direct and honest and smart, more comparable to someone like Stephen Sondheim than to most pop songwriters -- but they have a lot of tasty keyboard parts, especially since the arrival of Lee Pardini in the keyboard chair in 2016. Lee Pardini first caught my ear playing with Vulfpeck's Theo Katzman on his solo work, and I think he's magnificent, a player with a ton of chops who only ever plays exactly the part the song needs.

I'm going deep into this band's 10+ year discography but I included a tune with some somewhat showy keys below.

Oh, fun fact: Taylor Goldsmith and drummer/background vocalist brother Griffin are the sons of Lenny Goldsmith, who sang in Tower of Power in the 80s. Pretty sure Lee Pardini is also the son of Chicago's Lou Pardini. Talk about a leg up.

Welcome, Sam, pull up a chair, there's plenty of room. In a roundabout way (re: your fun facts), I consider Dawes a modern-day Toto. Not in style, of course, but that's more a function of their respective places in the timeline.

You might want to check out the latest edition of The Working Songwriter podcast where Joe Pug interviews Taylor.

https://joepugmusic.com/podcast/

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 weeks later...

For the classical fans some Petrushka played by Natalie Tenenbaum. I like how she got tired of the metronome click and create a drum track with Ableton to accompany her. She has a second video on how she made the Ableton track. Here's some Natalie....

Why not here she is doing some Chopin with video effects.

• 2 weeks later...
They did a record, not sure if you're aware Paolo. My bassist brother, a Claypool lifer (although somewhat recovered now), owned the CD back in the day. My introduction to Mr. Worrell.

I found out about the record, sometime this afternoon.

Youtube recommended this to me earlier in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently started digging into Jukebox the Ghost, a keys/drums/guitar trio that's been doing the touring thing since the mid-aughts. Cats who can play, who use their chops judiciously to make really infectious pop music. They particularly wear their Queen influence on their sleeve, but I think the thing that has impressed me the most is their approach to not having a bass player, which is... not having a bass player. As a keyboardist and a bassist, I put so much thought into how to make sure the role of the bass is always covered if there isn't a bassist -- separate keyboard for basslines, pedals for when the piano part requires two hands, maybe the guitar player can cover some stuff with an octave divider... these guys don't overthink it at all. They make sure somebody's covering the root and we get some low end. That seems to do it!

Anyway, something bouncy and fun for your day. Also you can peep a bit of the keyboard player's slick Mainstage rig in one or two shots here.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Listening to a lot of AP jazz from younger player such as John Chin. Been listening to John a long time either live streams or John streaming from his cellphone sitting on the piano. Here's a cut from one of his two albums.

• 1 month later...

Been enjoying this. Anyone know what the top board is?

In other vids I've seen him use a board with a tiny orange backlit screen. Motif maybe? Not sure that's the same one.

• Like 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• 4 weeks later...

Went back in time to the stuff my friends and I would listen to when hanging out. The early days of CTI records and is sub-lable KUDO records. A lot of great musicians and arrangements on those albums. Here's Grover Washington Jr I think first album on Kudo Inner City Blues.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/wojBNCsEHQk

Other stuff from then:

Another Kudo album with some killer bass playing by Gordon Edwards. This is one of my all time favorite songs.

• 2 weeks later...