Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what kind of keyboard do you own and why?

roscopicosound

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm mostly retired by accident from playing live, but attend occasion jams with my out of state musician buds.

Hammond B-3 - because it is the king of keyboards

Rhodes Chroma and Expander - my alltime fave poly synth.

The Synth of Doom - large analogue modular synth, with MOTM, Cynthia, Blacet, Encore, and custom modules.

Nord Stage - for taking to gigs and jams.

Alesis Fusion - recently bought this to play around with when they were being sold for ridiculously cheap prices.

Moe

---

Retired from bar gigging, on hiatus from active playing due to career issues.

I started buying stuff during the great analog dump of the 1980s when nobody wanted analog synths. I didn't buy for the sake of having a collection, I bought it with the intention of using it. As the 1990s drew to a close, it became a "collection" by default.

Hammond Porta-B - owned since 1981 with Leslie 760. I cut my teeth with this. This one happens to be a good one, with a tonewheel calibration that sounds killer. Every Hammond enthusiast who has played it agrees.

Kurzweil MIDIBoard - I'm a piano player. I wanted a MIDI controller with excellent piano action. Polyphonic aftertouch is a great bonus. Haven't found anything superior yet.

(RA) Moog Minimoog - one of the 1st 50 made. The king of analog. Retrofitted with LMC Midi interface, the best. The jewel of my collection.

Moog Source - my 1st Moog synth. Bought it in 1985 for left hand bass, retrofitted with Encore MIDI interface. Still the board I reach for when doing LH bass. Have a set of Taurus II controller pedals linked to it for pedal bass.

Moog Polymoog - Bought this in 1985 with legs, polypedal, and case. Frankly it's redundant compared to the Memorymoog but this workhouse has been with me for so many gigs that it's hard to part with it.

Moog Memorymoog - Bought new from the factory when they were dumping them for $1000. This synth really opened up the world of synthesis, I learned a lot of techniques on this thing. As for sound, nothing has the brawn of this beast.

Moog Voyager SE - When Bob announced a 21st century Minimoog, I had to have one. Timbre-wise it can go way beyond the original minimoog - can even get decent saxophone and guitar sounds. Touchpad, AT, and extended MIDI functions are a great bonus.

Moog Taurus I pedals - Wanted a good clean set of these for a long time. When I finally found a set I couldn't believe how ridiculously beefy these pedals were. Nothing I own gets the bass sounds this thing does. If only I could get it MIDI'd.

ARP ProSoloist - This looks meek on the surface for a single VCO preset synth, but rather good sounding presets coupled with the most effective aftertouch system make it a very expressive synth. The only controller where I can get a manual vibrato just by moving my hand, and very expressive with delay/verb. If I could get MIDI I/O for it, it would be a great controller.

Vox Continental - Found it in a pawnshop, needed some TLC. Complete with legs and volume pedal. Still have yet to find anything that emulates that classic biting weedy sound.

Hammond XK3 - Part I of my gigging rig. You can't get a better clonewheel than this, especially when coupled with my Dynacord CLS-222. It even does a fair Connie emulation.

Alesis Andromeda - Part II of my gigging rig. Finally found something that could replace all my Moogs onstage, and it does so much more.

Yamaha P-90 - Part III of my gigging rig. Much more compact than carting around the MIDIBoard and racks with rompler modules.

I won't sell my 10 year old Korg SGX/Pro 88 stage piano. Two midi outs, easy-as-pie-midi- interface-to-die-for, geriatric size LED characters, easy layering, nice action thats easy on the hands, 'Excellant' though slightly dated rhodes, wurlis and pads , relatively compact size for an 88, good quality effects. The piano patches are good in a pinch for fast recording and I think that the overall smoothness & general character of the piano samples are better in some respects than the harder edged newer Korg Triton Extreme's from a playing standpoint. Though the Extreme's piano is newer and cleaner and has more detail (of course), the SG piano seems to have the chewbatchka instead of the chewbang!

I know the SGX/Pro piano is supposed to suck -well it does and doesn't actually looking back in hindsight!

Billy Payne and Chuck Leavell both used it up until a year or so ago in LF and the Stones.

lb :D

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I have one keyboard, a Promega 3. It was pretty much an unpremeditated, compulsive purchase. I couldn't resist the thrill of owning my own Fazioli. No regrets.

I'm a piano player. Have been all my life. But due to a recent thread, you guys have me listening to Gentle Giant. I think I have to learn something like The Advent of Panurge. I can't believe what I'm hearing, or rather I can't believe there's no doubt I love what I'm hearing!

Sorry for wandering off topic. Not really, this forum is one huge happy distraction. Deal with it. :)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by loumi:

P.S. Noah, do you use a preset patch for your Rhodes sound, or did you have to custom program the sound? I use some of the "E. Piano" patches, but none seem to sound like a Rhodes.

The S90ES Rhodes patch that I use most frequently is called "Vintage '74." That said, I also added a bunch of patches from Dave Polich's "Vintage Keys" sound library (available at sninety.com) to one of my user banks, and there are some nice Rhodes patches on there that I like as well. Ironically, I wasn't a huge fan of "Vintage '74" when I first heard it, but when I tried it with my band, it just cut through the mix really well.

Noah

I began as a Jazz piano player... then upgraded my title to Keyboardist. lol

My current set-up is a Hammond XK-1 over a Yamaha P120 with a Roland EXR-3 off to the side(which someone gave to me recently).

Hammond XK-1: fabulous organ clone. I am extremely happy with ALMOST EVERYTHING. I recieved 2 BROKEN boards. one jammed key, one Pitch Bar malfunction which (when played) basically went crazy up and down. and my 3rd deck (still being used) has some kinda junk inside bouncing around. Hammond Suzuki seems to be spitting out pretty cheap materials these days. BUT, if you can seem to get a board that is solid. it's a FANTASTIC buy. quite amazing leslie simulations. all parameters fully adjustable.

Yamaha P120: heavy... of course, what's a little work when you're my age. All the greatest musicians have hauled much heavier things, so I can't complain. I think the weighted keys are pretty nice, and the Rhodes/E.P. sound is pretty decent. I also like the clavinet. Simple, straight foward keyboard. of course, mine has lots of sentimental value since my highschool sweetheart bought the whole damn thing for me (when they wer 1,200 dollars). aah the days.

Roland EXR-3: well, it's more of a cheap student interactive arranger keyboard. but hell, it's light, has some cool sounds. and I tell you what, I MIDI it up to my Hammond XK-1 and have it be my lower manual, and when desired I basically pick a cool synth sound and turn the volume up to have an awesome Synth/Organ bass. synth adds the punch, Organ has the SERIOUS UMMPH!

I am what I am, and that's all I am.

Roland SH101-nufsed.

Two realstic MG-1s-one was the first real synth I ever had, the other is a spare I picked up for a buck a couple of years ago.

Ensoniq ESQ-1-the first workstation and sounds good and filthy.

Moog Opus-3-hard to beat for old school analog strings and organ. Think the string part in Rick James' tune 'Mary Jane'.

Electro-Harmonix Mini Synthesizer-Plastic and cardboard and it fell off my mom's car one night when I was a teenager driving home from practice and it broke in two. Some super glue and BAM...still awesome. I wore its touch membrane keyboard down to the silver mylar or aluminum or whatever, put some electrical tape over it, drew the keys on with a sharpie and it still plays.

Casios-you can't have enough...they're like Lays chips, you can't eat just one.

Yamaha DJX, SU-10 and AN-200. The DJX has a wide variety of sounds, is light, has built-in speakers, good arrangeable beats and has workable filter capabilities that help tweak a sound to fit it into a track. The AN-200 beatbox offers a handful of anaolog-esque voices, voice tweakablity, a variety of beats and makes a handy VA when you plug a controller into it. The SU-10 is a pocket sampler and I'm pretty sure they just used the mold for the original QY box and just put a sampler into it. A strange and fun little box.

M-Audio Prokeys 88-an affordable piano/controller that has useable sounds, splits, pitch and mod wheels, remote control over sequencers and USB.

Fatar Studio 610- I picked this up back when I got an E-mu Proteus FX and wanted a velocity-sensitive controller. The modules I've added since include E-mu Planet Phatt, Orbit V2 and Peavey Spectrum Bass, Spectrum Synth and DPMV3. A fat voice menu in a homemade rack. Sure, that's nothing any software couldn't do, but here they are. That DPMV3 is a RIPPING module.

Prophet 600-some real analog pads, oscillator stackable monophonic and acres of knobs. Six voices.

I could probably sell all of this garbage, get a V-synth and be happy. But I feel guilty when I stop and think most of the best albums ever recorded were recorded with less.

chip

I'm currently a "weekend warrior" in a blues/R&B group. I just bought a Kurz PC1se two weeks ago and all of a sudden I have a gig rig that more than meets all my needs:

Bottom: Kurzweil PC1se, for acous. pianos, EPianos, brass, clavs, synths, etc. Has weighted action just slightly heavier than the SP76.

Top: Nord Electro 61, for organs, EPianos, clavs. Waterfall semi-weighted keys.

Amp: Motion Sound SP200S amp

The PC1se replaced a Kurz SP76 that I used as a controller with a Roland JV1010 module. The SP76 has a great semi-weighted action that I really like, and the JV1010 has some very usable piano and horns for live use (IMO). So, it worked fine for what I am doing with it.

But the PC1se has blown me away! I hadn't planned to upgrade, and bought the Kurz really on impulse, without playing or seeing it. I don't usually act on GAS attacks (can't afford to), but I'm sure glad I did this time. I am having just too much fun playing this board! The action is just how I like, and some of the programs are so expressive, and the keyboard is really well built. Cool gig bag with it as well. :D

With my beloved Electro ("B3 in a bag") and the new PC1se, I am in keyboard heaven right now. Yes, it is a great time to be a keyboardist! :thu:

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I have two rigs, one for my PinkFloyd/cover band (myspace.com/pinkfreudchicago), and one for the original project I play in: Hello Dave (www.myspace.com/hellodave).

PF:

Roland A90 and Nord Electro 2 73, midi'd together controlling FantomXr, MotifRack (classic), Super JD990, MUSE Receptor into M120 line mixer, Yorkville 300K stereo keyboard combo and SpeakeasyRoadbox3 rotary speaker.

HD:

Motif 8 and Nord Electro2 73.

I just joined another band, doing covers/originals, and that rig will be the same as the HD rig with my 2nd Receptor added.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

This is somewhat similar to other posts, but it's probably good to hear all the variations. I'll try to be succinct, though sometimes I struggle with that. :)

Current: Yamaha S90ES.

Pros: Great sounds, IMHO. Very powerful.

Cons: Not as easy to use as others.

Bottom line: I love it, despite the complexity of customizing it. I'm learning it now. For me, I've found it less intuitive to do (what I think should be) easy functions, but the more sophisticated features work the same way. So ultimately it is a very flexible and powerful instrument.

Previous: Roland RD700 (not the current SX)

Pros: Easy to use live. Decent sounds.

Cons: Acoustic/elec. pianos are thin.

Bottom line: Easy to do the easy things (which is good), but very difficult to get into the deeper functionality. It's an older board; the S90ES and RD700SX sounds are better. (And obviously I prefer the S90ES sounds).

Old, but still have and use: Ensoniq E-Prime.

Pros: Very good piano action and acoustic sample. Easy to use.

Cons: Other than the ac. piano sample, the rest of the sounds are lackluster. Very heavy for a 76 note keyboard.

Regards.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

OK, I couldn't just leave it go. (Do you know anybody who says "Leave it go"?) :freak:

I play a Chickering piano. I haven't measured it, so I don't know if it's a console or a studio. Probably a console. Anyway, I've had it since I was knee-high to a chicken. I had the action reworked by the guy who used to maintain the pianos for the NC Symphony. Although it's about 45 years old, it sounds great in my living room. It's nice having a real piano.

In my studio I've got a Kurzweil PC2X. That's a damn fine keyboard. I've never regretted buying it. It's purple.

I've got an old original Kurzweil K2000. It's in the shop now because I screwed it up. (Don't ask.) :rolleyes:

If I can salvage it, I'll sell it and get something small and lightweight, 73/76 keys with weighted action, great sounds, and character.

Somebody ought to start a thread where everybody lists keyboards they've owned that have character. I'll betcha the B3, the Rhodes and the Wurlitzer 200A would be at the top. The RMI Electra-Piano would be close to the bottom. (Right Dave Horne?) :rolleyes: - Yeah, I owned one of those too.

That's about it. I think most of us are lying about the keyboards we own. We've probably got a few stashed away that we don't play anymore, but for one reason or another we just don't tell anybody we've got them. :freak:

But no matter how you count 'em, I guarandamntee you that most guitarists are a thousand times worse than we are at hoarding gear... Yeah.

And you can take that to the bank... the SNOW BANK, Mr. Garrafon. :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

OK , I confess. Yes, I still have my RMI Electra-piano (circa 1970) still sitting in the basement. Also, an ARP Odyssey (1974) in a case next to it, and a Leslie 16 (aka vibratone). Don't know if I should also mention the Casio 101, Korg Poly 800, DX100, SQD1 sequencer, (all in orig. boxes) and assorted PAIA projects in a box. That's my basement stash (cellar dwellers). Do I have to tell what is upstairs? :D

Oh yeah, did any have "character"? The Odyssey would qualify. Unfortunately mine needs a good cleaning and recalibration. I should look into what the Leslie needs to get working as well - I forget it is down there buried under boxes! :freak:

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I currently play in a rock - blues - jazz band with original music also.

Live I use my Kurweil PC2X which provides my basic sound set (pianos - electro 70's keys, some synths and does so in a very convincing way.

I also use the KB3 mode as a lower split on some organ stuff.

My top live keys is a KORG X2 - a liitle dated, but based on M1 technology. I use this for top organs and analog style synth.

In my pratice time, I set up one of the above, or play my old faithful Rhodes Mark 1. Keeps the fingers in shape.

I've been debating on a replacement for the X2, like the Hammond XK1, but it's lacking the basic synth sounds. Also have been considering a Triton. I have read that for a Rompler with good synth sounds, it has convincing organs as well.

My current rig consists of a P200 which I use as my primary piano - as well as controller for a Motif ES rack unit. I like the ease of which I can create "1 button" settings on the P200 that control live patch setups on both the P200 and the Motif. I also like the simple Midi On / Off button that allows me to play the P200 independent from the Motif.

I also use a Roland RD700SX. I originally bought it as as a replacement for the P200 when it looked like the P200 was going to be in the shop for several weeks - however once I got it home and started playing with it, I decided I liked its organs, horns and strings better than the Yamaha S-08 I was using as my "2nd keyboard" at the time. When the P200 came back from the shop - I and added the Motif rack unit (which sorta fell into my lap dealwise...) and made the P200/Motif my primary board - and kept the RD700SX as my "secondary" board.

I like the keyboard action of the RD700SX as much as I do the Yamaha - as well as the ease of configuring it "live" (i.e., using the transpose buttons to put patches in the "right spot" for playing string and/or organ comps with my left hand).

I'm a two fist piano player at heart - so I really like the fact that both my boards are weighted action. (My pudgy digits don't play nice on synth keyboard actions....I may as well just flip 'em over and use my knuckles!)

The basement collection of retired axes includes a Fender Rhodes 73 Key Stage Piano, a Hohner D6 Clavinet and a Yamaha DX7IIFD.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I play mostly jazz solo and in a band, plus some occasional outings with a function band playing pop covers.

On the bottom I have a Yamaha CP33 stage piano. Great piano sound plus that combined acoustic bass/ride cymbal patch in the split is great for injecting some "go" into the up swing numbers.

On the top I have a Nord Electro 73, used for Rhodes, Wurli and organs, with the occasional splash of clav.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

It hasn't arrived yet - "my" new S90ES. I'm feeling TERRRRRRRRRRRRIFIED!

It looks like i'm getting a really complex instrument. Anyway, that's what i will shortly be the owner of. I'll have my work cut out it seems. Good!

I fully intend to impress my cat as soon as possible!

I'm used to playing Yamaha piano. And i've been piddling about on a PSR-195 which was adequate for accompanying the Christmas carol singing.

So this is going to be a BIG change. I'm only little too so it's a good job i don't intend on carting it around.

Still terrified.

Alex

".....just as long as it's groovy."

i play rock, funk, prog and some jazz and i use the nord stage. i used to own an elka 88 controller with the emu64 sampler attached to it, and a virus keyboard (had to sell them to get some dj equiptement). i must say that i don't understand the concept of all the other stage pianos mentioned in this thread. if you play in a band, the sounds you need the most are keyboard sounds (pianos, ep's, organs) and some good string presets. what i don't understand is why do live keyboard players need a slap bass sound on their s90es, or a trumpet sound, african drum sound etc ? nobody really uses them in a live gig. i don't need guitar sounds because that's what human guitar players are for, and besides - all of the guitar presets on yamaha, roland, kurzweil - are a bit pathetic compared to what some of todays samplers can do. and this goes for all the acoustic sounds imitations. if you're working in a studio and you need real sounds to create a soundtrack - you'll use samplers and soft synths anyway because they are currently the best in acoustic sounds. so please tell me why do keyboard players think they need all these unnecesary sounds, and on what occasions do they use them.
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

I studied classical piano as a teenager then gave it up completely. Now that I am retired I am starting to play the great american songbook. No gigs yet! I bought a Kurzweil sp88 but sent it back because I hated the action. I then bought a Casio Privia PX-100 because of the action and the price($400). I love the action. I bought a Kurzweil Micropiano and an Alesis Nanopiano on ebay. Lastly I bought a Behringer Ultratone K1800 FX keyboard amplifier. The Micropiano sounds wonderfully lush and clear through earphones From the Behringer.

With my beloved Electro ("B3 in a bag") and the new PC1se, I am in keyboard heaven right now. Yes, it is a great time to be a keyboardist! :thu:

You are SO correct, Jim.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Rock/Jazz by night; music theatre director/scoring by day.

Yamaha S90 (classic)

I'm three years into the 'S90 era' after a long relationship with Kurzweil products. I love the action on this board for piano. The bread-and-butter sounds are fine for my needs. I've not used it out much in a gigging situation but if I did I think I would get frustrated with the UI (although many people have told me that its a great controller once you pass the learning curve).

Kurzweil PC2r

Kind of picks up where the S90 leaves off. Nice variation in timbre from Yamaha stuff kind of beefs up the sound pallate. Plus it makes me feel 'safe' after using PC-whatevers for so long. Really nice programming on this guy. KB3 mode is very nice. Purple.

Yamaha P120

I've used this on numerous jazz gigs and for small rehearsals. Its a sharp little unit with excellent piano samples and a solid action. Its not very attractive or sleek looking, and has the typical 'thickness' that I dont like about recent Yamaha boards. But, for its purposes, it fits the bill nicely. The onboard speakers are nice cbut the unit really shines when amplified, particularly in stereo.

Mackie SRM450 (pair)

These powered monitors rock. Probably a little overkill for just a KB setup since they can drive a small band in a medium room. Accurate, clean, responsive, LOUD. Really nice.

I have a ton of not-used-anymore gear lying around. These are the main axes for me right now.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Korg Triton Extreme 76

Pros - the tube. Very easy to program/customize

Cons - life is too short to figure out all the things it can do.

Amp - still looking... was using hodge-podge of bass and guitar amps...

I'm the MD / keyboard player of a touring country/rock band that does rodeo/cowboy events from here to there. There, I use a fully loaded Kurzweil K2600XS (company owned), and sometimes my K2661 or NE73 for organs, fiddles, strings, EP's, depending on the gig - although Vintage Keys in the XS is really stellar. I also have a PC2-O (company owned) in the truck that comes out if I need a third board. Need, yeah right - like anyone needs three keyboards on stage to play country/rock! :grin:

At church, my Electro or K2661 sits underneath my Motif 6 (for tweaky motion synth stuff that's too easy to screw up). I wish I had an 88 there - I have my eye on an S90ES at GC that seems pretty lonely.

I'd love to add a Receptor to both of the above rigs for easy access to Ivory and others while out.

In the studio, it's pretty simple. K2600AES & Korg MicroKontrol into Fantom XR, Triton & Trinity rack, and Logic Pro + some sample libraries. There's enough stuff inside Logic to re-create fire, so I'm trying to ride the curve as fast as my time allows (which is fairly slow at this point). The AES CDROM library (45 discs) + some aftermarket (Pyramid, Spectrasonics, Ilio, Qup! Arts, etc., etc.) round out that sound pallette. Honestly, I'm realizing that for writing, I need like 3 good sounds. Maybe 4.

But, being a gear whore with severe GAS usually wins that battle of common sense.

ivorycj

Yamaha S90 (classic)

I'm three years into the 'S90 era' after a long relationship with Kurzweil products. I love the action on this board for piano. The bread-and-butter sounds are fine for my needs. I've not used it out much in a gigging situation but if I did I think I would get frustrated with the UI (although many people have told me that its a great controller once you pass the learning curve).

Speaking of, if anyone out there is an S90 whiz, I'd love to hear about those MIDI controller abillities past the learning curve. This ES keeps whispering in my ear, but I need to be in control of other stuff, if you know what I mean.

ivorycj

My main requirement is a ROMpler with good feeling keys, easy to program, and a joystick. That is my my Fantom76 still gets a lot of use even though I own newer keyboards. It is comfortable. I also have a Motif ES6, RD700SX, Triton Extreme 7, and a bunch of rack mount ROMplers and VA's.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

what i don't understand is why do live keyboard players need a slap bass sound on their s90es, or a trumpet sound, african drum sound etc ? nobody really uses them in a live gig.

I have heard that in many cases, keyboard players are called upon to provide any sound man has ever heard and those undiscovered.

If you own a keyboard like box, someone will inevitably ask to hear a sound other than piano, organ, rhodes or clav.

Heaven forbid you play in a band doing cover tunes with brass and strings parts and a limited number of musicians i.e. guitar, bass, drums and keys.

Guess which parts you might be asked to play? ;)

The best thing to do as a keyboard player is to a) overwrite those non-keyboard patches with B&B sounds or b) rearrange the tunes in order to eliminate the need for those other sounds. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Main axes - Korg 01/wpro, Alesis QS7.1, Kurz K2000. I recently relegated my Ensoniq SQ80 to the position of controlling my laptop live, until my Axiom 61 takes it's place (it is packed for Iraq - see other post).

Pros - I have owned all these boards since new, so I can do almost anything they can do, with relative ease. I am still getting the hang of the wave sequencing in the 01.

Cons, I have owned all these for so long, that some of the sounds are quite dated. There have been updated sounds, both programmed and purchased for all, but the life of a few is coming to a close for the road.

Since I play (past tense for now) in a classic rock band and a contemptorary (ROCK) worship band, I have uses for older and newer stuff. Hence all the gear, and being able to use it (I guess that is all relative). I have plenty of software to keep me busy with the retro stuff, and while overseas will be boning up on going "soft" for the majority of my sounds. There will always be at least 1 'board if all goes south.

Jay

what i don't understand is why do live keyboard players need a slap bass sound on their s90es, or a trumpet sound, african drum sound etc ? nobody really uses them in a live gig.

I have heard that in many cases, keyboard players are called upon to provide any sound man has ever heard and those undiscovered.

If you own a keyboard like box, someone will inevitably ask to hear a sound other than piano, organ, rhodes or clav.

Heaven forbid you play in a band doing cover tunes with brass and strings parts and a limited number of musicians i.e. guitar, bass, drums and keys.

Guess which parts you might be asked to play? ;)

The best thing to do as a keyboard player is to a) overwrite those non-keyboard patches with B&B sounds or b) rearrange the tunes in order to eliminate the need for those other sounds. Good luck. :cool:

i think that playing a trumpet sound istead of a real trumpet player is a little bit pathetic. i know it's been done and that people are doing it, but a serious band would never allow it. plus, most of the sounds you find on keyboards today are seriously out of date. i heard acoustic sounds from yamaha, roland, kurzweil and korg - and they don't come even close to sampled sounds from seven years ago (from samplers like emu or akai etc.), and i won't even begin to compare them to todays samples that are out there. did you check out the "expansion cards" from roland to their fantom series? it's basically the same sounds from 1997 they used for their xp kyboards. sounds haven't improved much, so the sounds of a trumpet or a guitar preset from a keyboard is totally pathetic. i'd rather have 20 very very good sounds than have a 1000 patches and preset which is 90% garbage

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

sounds haven't improved much...i'd rather have 20 very very good sounds than have a 1000 patches and preset which is 90% garbage

I agree with your rationale. As "keyboard" players we must take control of the situation. Abstain from Velveeta! :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived