Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what kind of keyboard do you own and why?

roscopicosound

I play a Chickering piano. I haven't measured it, so I don't know if it's a console or a studio. Probably a console. Anyway, I've had it since I was knee-high to a chicken. I had the action reworked by the guy who used to maintain the pianos for the NC Symphony. Although it's about 45 years old, it sounds great in my living room. It's nice having a real piano.

I had a Chickering 6' grand (circa 1918) that we bought in 1974 for $550. I just ran across the bill of sale in some old records. I was 15 years old and we drove all over town for about a year looking at used pianos. We had just decided to buy this one when a young guy, early twenties, rang the bell and was there to look at the piano. He asked if he could play it and out comes this flurry of notes, Rachmaninoff or something similar, and told us if we changed our minds he'd buy it from us.

Had that piano until 1995 when my technician told me it was basically worn out. ("You know, they're not like old violins- they don't neccesarily get better with age. Sometimes they just wear out." This coming from the guy who could have charged me a fortune to rebuild the thing. I always respected him for that advice.) I always liked the bright Chickering sound and that's probably why I was attracted to the Schimmel that I got that year. A local dealer made me a good deal on the 6-10 LE (before the dollar got weak against the European currencies). I don't think I'd spend what they want for a similar model now. Great piano and I've enjoyed it every day. Somewhat sadly, he took my old piano as a trade-in and I knew it wasn't worth re-building. I asked what he was going to do with it. He said the cabinet was in remarkably good shape and, with a bit of work, he could get it in shape to sell to someone who pretty much just wanted a grand piano-shaped piece of furniture.

Sad-but-true.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what i don't understand is why do live keyboard players need a slap bass sound on their s90es, or a trumpet sound, african drum sound etc ? nobody really uses them in a live gig.

Really? I would sware that people have been faking horn and strings since the days of early analog polyphonics. On stage and on recordings.

... a serious band would never allow it. ...

Dont confuse serious and arrogant. Unless your concert is played by beating sticks on hollow logs then your tools have evolved and someone has objected to that change. The arguments you use today about non-keyboard sounds were made years ago when people started using eps and electric organs on stage. Back then, serious players only used grand pianos and acoustic guitars.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

... a serious band would never allow it. ...

Dont confuse serious and arrogant. Unless your concert is played by beating sticks on hollow logs then your tools have evolved and someone has objected to that change. The arguments you use today about non-keyboard sounds were made years ago when people started using eps and electric organs on stage. Back then, serious players only used grand pianos and acoustic guitars.

Robert

first of all let me say that if, for example, a trumpet was played - not from a yamaha or roland etc - but from a real sampler with, say, arturia brass samples - than i'll say yes to that. it actually sounds like a real trumpet, while the sounds you find in todays workstations are not realistic as much.

about the other thing you said, it's true that people used moog to create trumpet sounds, and rhodes to create piano sounds - and of course non of them comes even close. but soon enough all these instrument became instruments on their on acount, keyboard players understood they these were able to make their own uniqe sound. and so they entered the history hall of fame for their special rich sound. everybody still wants it today. i don't know if you can say that about yamaha s90es, roland fantoms, kurzweil pc series etc. they are all nice instruments, but in a year or so a new series will probably come out and all these keyboards will be forgoten, as opposed to moog, rhodes etc. and like i said before, if you want really good realistic acoustic sounds - today's workstations are not the address.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Live I use a nord electro 61 below a motif 6 "classic"

electro for piano, rhodes, clavinet hammond... owned it since 2001, the best keyboard I ever bought. I've added a leslie2101, a wah pedal, speakeasy amp, a preamp for vintagebua in norway to to improve on the utterly cool sound. For studio use I only use the organ model.

Motif for strings, analog sounds and space sounds. got the PLG150Ap in it but I never use it.

It takes an awful long time to get to know a keyboard and I must admit that I hated my motif to start with, but it has really grown on me. A live rig is always just about good enough sounds quick.

In the studio i use my fully expanded K2600R, the strings, analog sounds, pianos still sounds fantastic. Rhodes Mark 1 and a clavinet D6, they're awesome! Korg TR rack get's rarely used. Roland SH-32 an absolutely amazing piece of gear for those analog bass sounds, great filters!!! My korg wavestation is doing time in a closet.

I need a new weighted keyboard for live and home use, something like a nord stage or the s90es.......haven't decided yet.

I play a Chickering piano. I haven't measured it, so I don't know if it's a console or a studio. Probably a console.

I think most of us are lying about the keyboards we own. We've probably got a few stashed away that we don't play anymore, but for one reason or another we just don't tell anybody we've got them.

Well I did forget to mention my old Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano my parents bought me in 1964 to start lessons on. And my 1972 Yamaha D3 organ with cheezy rhythm machine. But hey, with that, the bass pedals and such I could be a one boy band back in '73!

Oh yeah, and my Roland AX-1 I bring out on occasion at gigs to do my Geoff Downes/Asia bit.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

first of all let me say that if, for example, a trumpet was played - not from a yamaha or roland etc - but from a real sampler with, say, arturia brass samples - than i'll say yes to that. it actually sounds like a real trumpet, while the sounds you find in todays workstations are not realistic as much.

.... if you want really good realistic acoustic sounds - today's workstations are not the address.

Hmmmn. I DO understand this. This has been my worry and fuels my "terror" over my impending S90ES arriving any day. It IS a reeeeeally good, albeit somewhat "fake", piano and an instrument on its own. But, for my purposes (wanting a piano and a workstation that i can form a relationship with).... have i done wrong?

I think the relationship we have with our keyboard has to be somewhat of a love affair. All this doubt that's coming in....well, i really hope it's going to drain away when it comes through the door. Have i been rather too wreckless - I mean, in my psyche is the question : When are they going to do keyboards is pink? Or do they already? I could almost have gone for a Nord electro for the colour alone. Wreckless, wreckless.

And there's this too : The nebulous world of samples (well, that's how it feels to me currently)..... Perhaps i crave some limits and boundaries. I want the instrument there in front of me and to really get to know it. OK, so some folks might be able to say : "Ah, she made that on a Yamaha." But so what! I am a song writer and once i've written my songs and made some kind of arrangement then it can be transposed to real instruments.

Any thoughts on what i've just written pleeeeeease : Welcome!

(I'm sure folks are familiar with those pre-keyboard arriving nerves. And i'm sure folks have had regrets too. I don't want to end up having them.)

Thanks!

Alex

".....just as long as it's groovy."

I've suffered a bit of wobbling, but still on course. All is well! &I wasn't serious about pink. As i said in another thread - i'm to be thoroughly spoilt! And i will make the very most of this new addition to my life.

My dad owns a beautiful Broadwood baby grand, made in the 1930s. My dad is older than the piano and one day it'll have to be relocated - likely out of the family. :o( (I live in an upstairs flat.) But i will hope that the person who inherits it notices it's beauty and appreciates how it feels etc.... Even the act of wiping the dust from its surface is sheer ecstasy.

Following, I was pondering all day over what i said about a "love affair" with your instrument. I was considering how any piece of technology could inspire such a feeling. I wondered how much of my love for that piano, in addition to the fact it is simply beautiful to behold and play, is to do with history, and also how much was related to our capacity as human beings to channel soul through inanimate objects.

There is no doubt that both can be achieved with technology.

Doubt just puts a dampner on things. I made my choice and won't regret it! I will appreciate its qwerks and eccentricities. And hopefully the manual won't give me a headache. I welcome hearing others bring life to the instrument too!

Gosh - i hope my cat likes it. LOL. ;O)

".....just as long as it's groovy."

Welcome to the forum. I play blues, R&B, classic rock and solo jazz piano. I have:

Yamaha S90:

Pros- great pianos, EPs, clavis. Lots of great string, brass and woodwind sounds. Can pick one up cheap with new S90ES on the market.

Cons- big, heavy, not at all intuitive to do layers, splits and other programming.

Nord Electro 2/61:

Pros- fabulous B3, EPs. Very lightweight. Great Leslie sim and other effects (but no reverb). Very fun and musically inspiring to play.

Cons- acoustic pianos fair although the mono Steinway works fine playing with a band (I have not downloaded the most recent upgrade- do a search to get opinions on these). Short KB- would get the 73 key if doing again.

Motion Sound KP200-S:

Pros- Nice stereo sound. XLR outputs to PA for bigger/louder gigs. Not too big or heavy.

Cons- Not loud enough by itself (but it really isn't made for that. It'd have to be 80-100 lbs to get enough sound to keep up with most loud guitar amps). Expensive.

If I were starting from scratch, I would look at the Kurzweil PC1se because it's gotta be easier to move around than the S90. I would get the Electro 73 because with that many notes, I could leave the big board at home for some gigs.

I hope this is the kind of info you're looking for. Play lots of different boards, side by side if possible. Happy hunting.

yes dregs, that's the kinda info i'm interested in, thanks. i'm not sure what kinda keyboard features i want at all yet, but i figure if i end up paying like $1500 or so for a new once i get good enough, then i want to get as close as to what i want as possible so i can avoid maybe finding another one i'd wish i'd got instead a couple of months after.

i'm a beginner keyboardist...

I have a Yamaha S80 which I recently considered upgrading to a Motif ES8 or S90ES. Those boards have better sounds.

Yet, I cannot part with my S80 because it still sounds good to me and is fun to play. IMO, that is the mark of a good keyboard.

If/when you decide to step up to something else, go to a pro music store and audition all of them. One should stand out in meeting the above criteria. It can serve you well for many years.

Now, if you keep reading this forum, magazine reviews, trade show talk, etc., you will be overcome by a phenomenon known as GAS. :cool:

yeah i head over to guitar center at times to try out their keyboards and what not, to also help my choice when i'm ready. doing that and doing this message board thing here i think will help me stay inspired from the boredom of practicing...

i'm a beginner keyboardist...

If some of you guys are worrying about how the trumpets sound on your rompler, you should probably stop playing to rooms full of keyboardists.

We're getting a party together to introduce our new band to our friends & families. I'm pretty sure that no one is going to comment about how the horns sounded in Smooth, or any other tune we play that has brass in it. Sometimes even the cheesier stuff works better in some tunes.

Now if you were to bring a live horn section with you, that's an entirely different ball of wax.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Roland FP-9 piano: I never sell anything, so this lives at a fellow musician's house so he has a piano and I have keys when I drop by to jam.

Roland RD-700: Ditto, this lives at another musician friend's house (a drummer) so he has a piano and I have keys when I drop by to jam.

Nord Stage 88: This is my main board, and usually the only one I gig with. Amazing action and B&B sounds. The synth isn't bad once you get familiar with it.

Roland Fantom X7: I traded in my Electro for this (after I was sure the Stage was cool). The Fantom mostly lives at home, where I noodle on small compositions. I occasionally take it out for gigs where I might need some rompled sounds. It's a cool board with a vast array of (mostly unusable, but interesting) sounds.

Roland V-Synth GT: Well, not yet... have put in my order. Saw some discussion earlier in this thread about how lame it is to fake trumpets, strings, bass. I hope to use this board to create alternative sounds that fill the instrumental roles of these instruments.

... and Roland HandSonic 10 for messing with beats.

Run it all thru a SoundCraft Compact 4 mixer into a pair of JBL Eon 10's. I usually run into the main PA, Eons are for monitors and practice.

I rarely use any of that stuff at home. My main board is a 1920 Steinway M that was completely rebuilt about five years ago. I'd really prefer a D, but this baby has been in the family for a long time... and I'd need a bigger house.

... and a melodica for making noises at acoustic jams.

If some of you guys are worrying about how the trumpets sound on your rompler, you should probably stop playing to rooms full of keyboardists.

We're getting a party together to introduce our new band to our friends & families. I'm pretty sure that no one is going to comment about how the horns sounded in Smooth, or any other tune we play that has brass in it. Sometimes even the cheesier stuff works better in some tunes.

Now if you were to bring a live horn section with you, that's an entirely different ball of wax.

i'm not just talking about the horns. i'm talking about every acoustic instruments that a keyboard tries to emulate. and i meant they were sounds which i just don't understand what the hell are they doing on a keyboard when we\re talking about live performence.

why does a keyboard player need a solo violin sound?

why does a keyboard player in a band, need acoustic and electric guitar sounds? they are for the guitar player to play. and so on and on. there are so much unuseful sounds on workstations - if they only could give up some of them to make the rest of the sounds really great

Back in the 80's my rig consisted of Hammond BV, Korg Poly6, Oberheim OB8, Yamaha DX7, and Yamaha PF8. I stopped playing out live, and did nothing to upgrade my keyboards until 1998 when I purchased a Kurzweil K2500XS, just to have an updated keyboard that I could use at home, and try to play catch up on all the technology that had swept by me during all those years.

Primarily for home enjoyment, and I simply love the Kuzweil. It's my 88 key piano, organ, and everything else all rolled into one unit :thu:

Erlic

Leber3, if your Fantom X-7 has mostly unuseable sounds in it, you have not fed it the right SRX cards. :)

I take it back, there are many usable sounds... but there are many more sounds that don't work for me, but might work for someone else. I shamefully admit that on the rare occasions when I gig with it, I use it for horns, strings, percussion, but most importantly as a second manual for the organ on the Stage.

I really got the Fantom as a convenient and portable platform to learn sequencing and orchestration. It has worked very well in that role.

I also give the Fantom credit for somehow being 1000% more playable as a piano than the Electro was... I don't know how two unweighted keyboards play so differently. I would have no worries or problems using the Fantom (w/ SRX 11&12) as my only board (if the Stage were not such an incredibly playable instrument).

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not just talking about the horns. i'm talking about every acoustic instruments that a keyboard tries to emulate. and i meant they were sounds which i just don't understand what the hell are they doing on a keyboard when we\re talking about live performence.

why does a keyboard player in a band, need acoustic and electric guitar sounds? they are for the guitar player to play. and so on and on. there are so much unuseful sounds on workstations - if they only could give up some of them to make the rest of the sounds really great

zahush, we don't NEED these sounds at all. That's why people are gigging with the Nord Electro or the Nord Stage these days, because Clavia share your philosophy that keyboardists shouldn't play every sound. And honestly, I'm tempted to go with the Stage myself...but I'm going with the S90ES, simply because I don't want to be in a situation where I don't have a sound. I mean honestly, how would that look?

Idiot Guitarist & Singer: Oi Clif, can we get a church organ sound for the intro?

Me: Ummm, sorry dude, my Nord Stage doesn't have a church organ.

Idiot: Alright well, how bout just some orchestral strings then?

Me: Sorry again man.

Idiot: I thought you played keyboards! Damn you!!

That, and christ, the Stage is what, double the price of the S90ES?

It is a good 8kg lighter though...

...damn you, choice!

Idiot Guitarist & Singer: Oi Clif, can we get a church organ sound for the intro?

...damn you, choice!

well, actually the stage has a church organ configuration - constructed by combining the organ and some synth sounds. it's quite a good imitation. as for the strings - you're right, but besides strings you don't need anything else. your "Idiot Guitarist & Singer" won't ask you to play guitar sounds from the keyboard. but still the s90es has lots of electric and acoustic guitar sounds. has the keyboard player bacame a guitarist as well? these sounds are maybe for those who want to record some demos of their ideas, but i won't embarace myself playing live keyboard with a guitar sound. and will your Idiot Guitarist & Singer ask you to play some african drums or slap bass? you get the picture...

For the price, in my personal opinion, the Stage should have more than an 'imitation' of anything! It's overpriced bigtime. The Yamaha has decent organ presets, and true organ efficianados are gonna want real drawbars anyway IMHO.

...damn you, choice!

well, actually the stage has a church organ configuration - constructed by combining the organ and some synth sounds. it's quite a good imitation. as for the strings - you're right, but besides strings you don't need anything else. your "Idiot Guitarist & Singer" won't ask you to play guitar sounds from the keyboard.

Quote by Zahush76:

-----------------------------------------------

It sounds like you're confusing digital piano's role in performance with a workstation's roll in the studio or live work. I can understand why you would want a digital piano to have a great piano sound, and maybe some good Rhodes sounds too, but a workstation is built to be a lot of things. That's why they have sequencers and samplers built in. I use my workstation to recreate classic rock cover tunes, and I play live as a solo act. I don't play in bands anymore, don't want to, and don't have too. I want a broad palette of sounds that a workstation gives me, and the ability to entertain as a solo act.

I make very good use of "solo violin" sounds as well as other string instruments. Recently, I was playing a party and someone mentionted that I sounded like I had an orchestra with me. I think your perspective on what a modern keyboard should come with is very narrow.

Mike T

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Primarily for home enjoyment, and I simply love the Kuzweil. It's my 88 key piano, organ, and everything else all rolled into one unit :thu:

Yup.

It looks like I'll be replacing my K2000.

I really want a 76-key or 61-key instrument that has weighted keys, sounds as good as my PC2X, is thin and weighs less than 15 pounds.

Since that's not going to appear anytime soon, I surely would like to audition the PC1se.

Since that's not going to happen anytime soon, I think I'll buy the Stage - when they come down in price to something I can afford.

Since that's not going to happen anytime soon...

I'll sit on my hands to keep them warm. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Quote by Zahush76:

It sounds like you're confusing digital piano's role in performance with a workstation's roll in the studio or live work. I can understand why you would want a digital piano to have a great piano sound, and maybe some good Rhodes sounds too, but a workstation is built to be a lot of things. That's why they have sequencers and samplers built in. I use my workstation to recreate classic rock cover tunes, and I play live as a solo act. I don't play in bands anymore, don't want to, and don't have too. I want a broad palette of sounds that a workstation gives me, and the ability to entertain as a solo act.

I make very good use of "solo violin" sounds as well as other string instruments. Recently, I was playing a party and someone mentionted that I sounded like I had an orchestra with me. I think your perspective on what a modern keyboard should come with is very narrow.

Mike T

not narrow at all. it's just my opinion, and i've had workstations before. i've come to a conclusion that a workstation is essentially a compromise. kind of like the difference betwin buying a one piece stereo system which is an "all in one" type - vs buying the amp, the cd player and the radio apart but for more money for each part. same thing for computers. you can get an "all in one" motherboard - or buy seperatly the soundcard, the graphic card etc for more money but better results.

workstations have thousands of sounds, million effects and a sequencer etc. buying each of these ingredients seperatly for better results will cost more for sure, but will sound much better. so the best solution for pianos to my opinion is the nord stage. the best sequencer will always come from a computer (a workstation's sequencer is IMHO mostly for people who have "computer phobia"). and the acoustic sounds will only come from a true sampler. the motif's violin sound, for example, is as good as the violin sample i had on my emu64 eight years ago.

as for the stage - it's not just an instrument that imitates old keyboards. with all it's combinations and morphing - it's an instrument on it's own - capable of so much more than just the sum of hammond, rhodes, clav and wurli

it's just my opinion

i've come to a conclusion that a workstation is essentially a compromise.

workstations have thousands of sounds, million effects and a sequencer etc. buying each of these ingredients seperatly for better results will cost more for sure, but will sound much better.

the best solution for pianos to my opinion is the nord stage.

the best sequencer will always come from a computer (a workstation's sequencer is IMHO mostly for people who have "computer phobia").

the acoustic sounds will only come from a true sampler.

the motif's violin sound, for example, is as good as the violin sample i had on my emu64 eight years ago.

as for the stage - it's not just an instrument that imitates old keyboards. with all it's combinations and morphing - it's an instrument on it's own - capable of so much more than just the sum of hammond, rhodes, clav and wurli

Yes, it is a subjective opinion.

I understand the benefits of separate components. Yet, I also believe workstations and combo solutions have come a long way too. They sound better and/or provide more functionality than predecessors.

It really comes down to needs and how you work as a musician, composer, producer, etc.

Every instrument is a tool. No more or less. That is a fact. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Quote by Zahush76:

--------------------------------------------------------

workstations have thousands of sounds, million effects and a sequencer etc. buying each of these ingredients seperatly for better results will cost more for sure, but will sound much better.

Sound much better? Not necessarily. I have a Motif ES8, it has the best sound set of any rompler/workstation I ever heard. Sure you can buy a number of individual sound modules and pick the best from each, but then you have to spend time setting Midi up to make them all work together (programing time) and I wouldn't want to carry that stuff to some of the clubs I work in, or for private parties for that matter. Usually there isn't a whole lot of time to set up in a dark night club. Initially I used a computer with separate modules and I had to use a flash light to make sure I was plugging things in correctly, or it wouldn't work.

Quote by Zahush76

---------------------------------------------------

so the best solution for pianos to my opinion is the nord stage

And the "best" piano I've heard is on the Yamaha S90ES. I haven't heard enough of the Motif XS yet, but I understand that is outstanding. Beside, the Nord Stage is OVERPRICED for what it does. The pianos are OK, but no better than the Motif ES8.

Quote by Zahush76:

-------------------------------------------------

the best sequencer will always come from a computer (a workstation's sequencer is IMHO mostly for people who have "computer phobia").

-------------------------------------------------

I assure you, I don't have "computer phobia". I use a computer every day at work, and I have a computer in the room right next to my music room where my Motif ES8 and other equipment is. I CHOOSE not to use a computer with my Motif ES8, the internal sequencer is fine for what I do. I agree that a computer based sequencer is more capable than an internal sequencer on a workstation, but I don't need it. I won't carry a computer if I don't have to, so I don't. I don't want to invest in a laptop and spend even more money on sequencing software to boot. Then you have to learn yet ANOTHER INTERFACE (the software). Musicians are becoming more technician and less musician with the invention of newer workstations that "require" a PC to operate properly. Yamaha stated that the days of the PC on your workstation as an option are coming to an end. Frankly, I tired of spending all my time PROGRAMMING, and NOT PLAYING. If I spent as much time playing as I do programming, I might me a decent piano player by now.

Professor D is correct: It really comes down to needs and how your work as a musician. I want to play more and program less.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Quote by Zahush76:

I want to play more and program less.

Mike T.

Put me 100% behind that statement Mike! I'm an IT pro by day and want to have as little as possible to do with it at night! Give me top quality sounds at the press of a button so that I can enjoy the social aspects of "making a little noise with the boys" - and I'm happy as a clam!

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Quote by Zahush76

And the "best" piano I've heard is on the Yamaha S90ES. I haven't heard enough of the Motif XS yet, but I understand that is outstanding.

:thu: Agree with you there. I demoed the S90ES in the shop for the first time the other day. That piano is head & shoulders above anything else I've tried, particularly my current Kurz piano *shudder*.

Beside, the Nord Stage is OVERPRICED for what it does.

It's hard to say. It's range of sounds is small, 'specialist' if you like, but they are very good. I reckon the expensiveness is justified in the weight (are there any other 18kg 88 key boards out there?)

Professor D is correct: It really comes down to needs and how your work as a musician. I want to play more and program less.

Exactly. Each his own. Quite a number of people really enjoy programming their entire, vastly complex set into their overly-complicated rigs (look at Jordan Ruddess). I personally don't, and apparently neither do many of us.

Quote by Zahush76

And the "best" piano I've heard is on the Yamaha S90ES. I haven't heard enough of the Motif XS yet, but I understand that is outstanding. Beside, the Nord Stage is OVERPRICED for what it does. The pianos are OK, but no better than the Motif ES8.

when i said pianos - i meant pianos. not just the acoustic piano sounds - but also all the other electromechanical sounds such as the rhodes, wurli, clav, and - even if it's not a piano at all - the hammond. what i meant is that's it's the best solution to all the "keyboard" sounds, as opposed to, say, trumpet sounds. and while the acoustic piano on the motif and s90es might be better in your opinion - there isn't even a room for argue about the fact that the sounds of rhodes, wurlizer, hammond and clav - are far superior on the nord stage than on the motif or s90es. i've heard them and i can say that there are no more than nice. useable. but not close to the real thing. not as the stage is.

and as for the acoustic pianos of the stage, i'll qoute from the review about the stage on keyboard magazine. i think the review tells a lot of truth about piano sounds on all the other major keyboard (yamaha, roland, kurzweil):

"the source pianos themselves (of the samples for the nord stage piano)are going to be controversial, I think. While theyre obsessively detailed and undeniably excellent representations of the sampled instruments, people used to the artificially perfect pianos found in most keyboards these days are likely to be disappointed. What we have here is anything but generic or artificial. These pianos have air around them. Theyre not emasculated with rumble filters removing all the subsonic energy a piano generates as even a single note is struck. They live and breathe vividly. They have quirks that were not fixed in the mix and they sound as if unmolested by unwarranted EQ. Theyre vibey. Frankly, I find their slightly idiosyncratic nature highly refreshing. Its like playing a specific piano, rather than some hypothetical ideal McPiano"

cheers

while the acoustic piano on the motif and s90es might be better in your opinion - there isn't even a room for argue about the fact that the sounds of rhodes, wurlizer, hammond and clav - are far superior on the nord stage than on the motif or s90es. i've heard them and i can say that there are no more than nice. useable. but not close to the real thing. not as the stage is.

cheers

I'll be honest here, I have not PLAYED the Stage, only heard it in a venue, and I do agree the sounds it does are indeed fantastic. But having PLAYED the S90ES the other day with my own two hands, I'd say the crucial sounds (piano, rhodes, wurli, clav) are more than just 'nice & useable'. They're pretty damn great, in my opinion. I imagine the Stage's would be better still, but as I said before, it's a specialist board.

Frankly, I'd rather pay less and get those extra sounds than pay at least $1500 more and be restricted because I have less sounds, even if those sounds I do have are fantastic. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm ever going to use those woodwinds or brass or percussion etc., but they're there if I want/need them and they too are of high quality.

Archived