Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So what chord is this?

Steve Nathan

Originally posted by ProfD:

Cydonia, are you using a soft or hard case for it? :cool:

Yes. ;)

And as you can see, it's equipped with a Hammond C3 expression pedal and half-moon Leslie switches, not to mention a sheet music stand which can also be useful to check the latest Jazzwee voicing discoveries, and a Moog Modular compatible ribbon controller on top, if I need to practice some Emersonesque outrageous solo thing before a gig. :cool:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by latchmo:

I warm up on the first couple of tunes.

But for those that like to or are in the habit of warming up before playing it's difficult. While the drummers sit back stage pounding on their practice pads and guitarists and bassists have their axes on their laps, keyboard players for the most part can't warm up right before the show because their rig is on the stage.

(spelling)

This is why I rub my arms and hands. The opportunity to warm up properly at the keyboard before a gig is so rare that there's no point in bothering to make it routine.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by Cydonia:

In my case, I always bring my portable twin-keyboard upright with me before a show. So I can practice on it in the car, at the nearby restaurant before a gig, etc. And I don't feel disoriented at showtime in front of a Hammond or a multiple synths setup, since I have two keyboards to practice on, both with full weighted action. Imagine how much easier it is with non-weighted keys on stage afterwards. Heck, since it's a player piano, I can even program the Karn Evil 9 ending sequence or anything else and jam over it to develop ideas before going onstage. :bor:

http://www.theatreorgans.com/southerncross/photoscans/Grand%20Adelaide.JPG

This is not Sven's piano case with electronic keyboards inside is it? ;)

As far as warm up goes -- my theory is that at least during practice, needing to warm up may hide my problems. When I play something difficult immediately and my fingers start to sputter, I get clued in to technical problems. So I prefer to start cold so I'm always prepared. I will fail in the areas that need work, so I will focus on those. Then next time I do it again, I never fail at that point again and I'm on to the next problem. Thus, the playing of the actual tune is both my warmup and technical exercise.

However, after all the specific work is done and I'm all petered out from improvising, that's when I continue on with technical exercises. For me this sequence accelerates my learning. It also helps me balance my time better since I don't get into rote technical exercises.

Obviously one can play better with warmup, but the specific act of playing without warmup is in itself part of the practice routine. This has really worked for me.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Has anyone considered the fact that perhaps chords exist but Lenny Tristano did not?

That was the page seven article in Conspiracy Today; I have a lifetime subscription. (The cover story was an in depth photo shoot of Elvis' Argentinian house. He uses the Bose Cylindrical speakers.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Legatoboy,

Kanker Said:

Well, I was just referring to relying on chemical means to 'loosen' up.
I ment if your mentally tight, not physically. (Sometimes I rub my head (hehe,kidding)), but most times I ment like 1 or two sips, sometimes that is enough and a quit sit. I'm not talking about smokin a splif! Though I do find herb does help my harmonic and rhythmic sensibilities. But it can be very debilitating also!

I agree, Au Natural is best, but I do experiment... Jes we are only in this life once ( I know this is debateable)

lb :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Legatoboy, (More Tristano-ites)

"I gave up the Tristanos, I have to go on a big diet, doctors orders, I even bought a Bill Mays Trio and a Duke Ellington Solo Piano CD at the 'Tower Records Change of Life, Midlife Crisis, Going out of Business and Media Sale'.

BTW the Duke CD I am very "with", ('DE Piano in the Foreground') I didn't know I had so much in common with Duke and I dig The Bill Mays to, it's alittle bluesy at times in a good way, it's the live recording 'Live at the Jazz Standard')

lb :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

If you are used to playing 'under the influence', you might find that you can only play in this state.

From a study done by Washington University department of Psychology:

Male volunteers performed four memory tasks either while sober or under effects of alcohol. Twenty-four hours later they were tested under the same or different conditions. In tasks measuring recall and interference, learning transfer was better when the subject was intoxicated during both sessions than when he was intoxicated only during the learning session. In a task measuring recognition, transfer was not significantly affected by changing state. Thus, alcohol appears to produce "dissociated" or state-dependent effects in man, but not all forms of memory are equally sensitive to the phenomenon.

I couldn't find the equivalent study regarding herbal enhancement... but if you acquire new skills while stoned, you may need to be stoned to access those skills.

Originally posted by lerber3:

If you are used to playing 'under the influence', you might find that you can only play in this state.

Male volunteers performed four memory tasks either while sober or under effects of alcohol. Twenty-four hours later they were tested under the same or different conditions. In tasks measuring recall and interference, learning transfer was better when the subject was intoxicated during both sessions than when he was intoxicated only during the learning session. In a task measuring recognition, transfer was not significantly affected by changing state. Thus, alcohol appears to produce "dissociated" or state-dependent effects in man, but not all forms of memory are equally sensitive to the phenomenon.

Do you have a URL for this study?

... oh, and about C|Bb7 or Bb7#11 or whatever.

Overlaying a major triad over a V7 shell produces some cool voicings that I had never thought of in terms of more traditional chord names. II|V7 generates a nice voicing when you see a V7#11.

If you mix any major triad over the V7 shell, there are many interesting voicings (especially using second inversion or arpegiated triads)... but what chords are they?

G|Bb7 (VI|V7) gives a nice Bb7b9 that I often use...

B|B7 gives Bb7#5b9b11 (which would be pretty freaky to see in a chart)...

Db|Bb7 gives Bm7...

Do any other combinations give musically useful voicings?

Legatoboy,

Lerber3 said:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent about a year or so playing boxed on herb at least 3 gigs a month out of 5 and this is what I found. (this was last year and prior)

After the Gig my rhythmic concept was elevated as was my harmonic concept and my feel, this was after playing 2-3 hours with a very good rhythm section in a blues heavy rhythmic format with simple changes. The elevation translated to times when I was not "boxed" days after the gig and when listening or practicing.

I would play sloppier but found more rhythmic complexity and agility(in terms of approach not execution). The Harmonic benfit was better after the gig due to an inability to "voice" as well when 'boxed'.....

Conclusion: It's probably good, if at all, to just "session" and not perform when 'boxed' or maybe just during listening sessions. But, using your body/ears during this altered state may be necessary to gain what benefits there in lie.

Straight is probably the best bet, but I do fell it has it's merits for American Rhythmic based Musics. (mind you when I was a youth I played this way alot, there is a threshold that you have to get past, I think youth has the stupidity to put you past it, just doing this cold may be a problem without prior experience for many or people who never played that wa when younger?)

I know some might have problems with this!

Alot of other members of the band hated it, so a word of caution, other players matter in terms of this kin of thing and you have to be sensitive to that and that is why I eventually stopped along wiht the fact that it seemed the phase had run it's course!

lb :freak::cool:

Legatoboy,

Further I think learning in an altered state IS minimized as stated in the study ( your really pretty off base sometimes) but senses are elevated (rhythmic/harmony seems the most involuntary activities conected to senses I would think)..... So it all comes from there I think....

lb

Legatoboy,

Lerber3!

Sorry I ment this in terms of herb only not alcohol. I don't have alot experience with drinking! I do think that drinking effects the in inhabitons differently that smoke!

lb

Playing under the influence? I think Bill Evans takes the prize - heroin addict.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Legatoboy,

Dave said:

Playing under the influence? I think Bill Evans takes the prize - heroin addict.

My teachers take on Bill Evans when I brought that up was it wasn't heroin that killed Bill Evans, it was the fact that he couldn't really play his own music because of the record companies engineering his career....Said in the beginning with his trio as an almost unknown in New York, those were Evan's best days or something to that effect. He saw his trio then playing round town in small places before he made it?

Kinda of the same thing for Coltrane he said with all the speed/coke Miles consumed... Said that all those stimulants really made Coltrane play more mechanically after being in the Miles band and it was not a good thing. I think he may be on to something there..... speed and stimulants get you very wired! He said the same thing about the selling-out business though about Coltrane as he did for BE. How he used to curse under his breath whenever the crowd implored him to play 'Surrey With The Fringe on Top' on every date. The Sell Out!

I had a girlfriend once whose girlfriend used to date/party with Miles. We had a night alone in her girfriends apartment when she was out of town on the upper upper West side in Manhatten in Riverside. Sitting on the coach in front of us was a small coffee table. She told me her friend said Miles brought a shoebox full of coke for the 'date' with him with her friend. At the end of the night, she told her that Miles collapsed almost with his head in the shoebox right on the coffee table in front of me as she told me her girfriend's story! I just stared at the table. Alittle Early American cofee table from the 50's. Then I starred some more!

Expect nothing less from a Tristano-ite with Tristano-ites from my teach with the BE and Coltrane remarks!

I'm just quoting him, I wasn't there, well I was but I was a kid or young teen and listening to Blind Faith or something! My Jazz days were already over by 13, freakin 60's! I came back in the mid 70's....

lb :D

Legatoboy,

Kanker Said:

Then I sniffed the table...
"Then 'we' sniffed the table"....(me and my date who was telling her girlfriend's story)

Very funny though and narrative also Kanker!

No, really now, I was never much into the cola soft drink of choice . . .

It all becomes a very expensive 'speed-rap' as far as I was concerned.... And I am much too cheap anyway! I WAS into the weird sexual escapades it causes though but when I got to the Golden Spritzer phase I knew it had run it's course! There was nothing better than pouring a Chardonnay Wine spritzer over your girlfriend's buttock while cranked on 'blow your house down'!

Time to talk Chords again I fear! I am deeper into this particular thread than I would like to be right now!

lb :wave:

Legatoboy,

Linwood said:

I'd still be lookin' for rocks in the carpet.
I wouldn't have wanted anything that may have fallen out of that shoebox or Miles's nose. Though it was HIS nose. . .

Who knows where it might have been that night! :eek:

lb :D

Legatoboy,

for Linwood:

And you know the Chuck Berry stories (God bless him)! You know, the ahh, ka-ka-ka! :eek:

lb

Legatoboy,

All,

I apologize for sinking. . . .

Drugs a NO FN GOOD and I think this proves it!

Does anybody think a Tonic minor chord is a good substitution for a Min7b5? That would make it a Min7b5b9 of sorts!

lb

LB, your little discussion on 'libations' is now an interesting twist to the thread summary of the Bb7#11 chord.

:D

I'm with you Linwood, I'm too old to be talking about the old hippie days. :D

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Legatoboy,

Linwood said...

Who am I kiddin'...I'm a L 7 and affraid to eat a pork chop these days. The party is over for me.
I know . . . .! alittle herb every so often and a beer ain't gonna kill ya. The pork chop will probably kill you first! I have heard alot of Jazz musicians in NYC smoke into their 70's daily! Pops (Louie Armstrong) did for sure!

Just one question, what is L 7?

lb :P

Legatoboy,

Jazwee said:

I'm with you Linwood, I'm too old to be talking about the old hippie days
I have definately just gone through a mid-life crisis without a doubt. Revisiting my old hippie days was easy cause I played weddings and gigs with Buddy Cage (New Riders) and Mike Falzrano (Hot Tuna) and Played in Woodstock alot over the past couple of years not to mention Professor Loui and Miss Marie. Profrssor Loui producerd the last 3 Band albums. . . .we talk all the time about keys and gear and gigs! I kinda lived in "Hippie Central" for a while! Levon Helm's daughter Amy was in my band for a year or so on the bigger gigs. She's in Olabelle now. Donald Fagan is her stepfather. Cornelius Bumpus's kids (deceased sax/organ Doobies/Steely Dan) took(take?) lessons from my teacher up in the Bronx!

Guess I'm officially Name Dropping here but I never thought I'd be working with people like that in my life!

Goes to show you what an economic downturn can turn into for someone. I fell very lucky I was able to turn lemons into lemonaid or should I say Koolaid!

The last 8 years have been alot of fun! Still stayed with my lessons though to keep me focused musically!

Legatoboy,

Linwood said : 'L7', I said duhhhh!

ahhhh (L7), what will they think of next, look at that L7.....squaresville man!

Archived