Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Favorite before-gig music?

Moonglow

This thread was inspired by Blue JC's thread "Favorite after-gig music or silence?" Sort of the flip side to the question: What do you all listen to before a gig for inspiration or to get "fired up?" I typically listen to something by ELP, preferably one of their live recordings.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's a rock or fusion type gig, I listen to Vinnie Coaluita's solo album or some recent Jeff Beck. If it's a jazz gig, I listen to Herbie Hancock's "Gershwins World" "Dis is Da Drum" or Chick Corea "Akoustic Band".

Play only what you hear within...if you hear nothing, play nothing at all

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Silence. Pure, bliss-filled silence.

I usually listen to my tinnitus after gigs, actually. :(

- Jeff

Ummmmmm... add before gigs to this as well. :rolleyes:

I know it sounds crazy, but yeah... fresh ears are best for me before the gig. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I sort of agree with Tom (I also like fresh ears), but I have to warm up vocals before gigs (I do nearly all of the backing/harmony vox in my band).

So, I usually do that in the way on the way... go through some basic scale exercises, and then I put on a variety of radio tunes: rock, pop, whatever, and sing along (usually doing harmonies and choruses like I will at the gig). I also (don't laugh) have a habit of singing the National Anthem. It has an octave and a half range, and it's good warmup.

As far as tunes, the club ill often be playing stuff for the early crowd as we set up or wait for our gig time. I find I like things like cool, mellowish blues, or 60s/70s rarities. I get PISSED when a song happens to come on that we'll be covering later, though!

All in all, I try and save my ears for the gig. Interesting subject, though!

- Jeff

I listen to my iPod on shuffle mode. Over 4000 tracks on there from Bach to Ives to Keith Jarrett to Snoop Dogg, and everything in between. I find that listening to music like that, where a part of a Bartok sting quartet may be followed by Hendix's ...And the Gods Made Love opens the mind up to whatever may happen. I used select a particular thing to listen to on the way to the gig, but I often found that that would lead me to have expectations of what I was going to play or play with. By listening to whatever happens to come up on my iPod, and I mean actively listening, I find I have no expectations, and that I am much more reactive on the gig, and much more prepared for whatever may happen.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I only listen to myself playing before a performance because I don't want to be distracted by other peoples musical concepts. Afterwards I keep my custom "musician earplugs" in all the way home because any sound can increase my tinnitus. And I want to think about what I played not be distracted by the music of some other artist.

I have a CD called Organ-ized of different organ players that just inspires my chops. I almost always listen to it on the way to a gig.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Lately, for some reason, I've been listening to The Meters before almost every gig.

Didn't even really realize that I had this pattern until I thought about it for a second, so I definitely don't know why.

Except the obvious -- they're really f'ing great! :thu:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

My pre-gig ritual for a long time was to put on Oliver Jones' Just 88 while I took a nap, and then shower and head to the gig. No offense to Oliver - he's a fantastic player! - but that album always acts as a sleeping pill; I've had it for years and have never heard anything past track 3. I do feel like there's some osmosis going on though, because I feel inspired when I wake up.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Originally posted by InfoSal:

I only listen to myself playing before a performance because I don't want to be distracted by other peoples musical concepts. Afterwards I keep my custom "musician earplugs" in all the way home because any sound can increase my tinnitus. And I want to think about what I played not be distracted by the music of some other artist.

You must be endlessly creative. I'm jealous.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by InfoSal:

I only listen to myself playing before a performance because I don't want to be distracted by other peoples musical concepts. Afterwards I keep my custom "musician earplugs" in all the way home because any sound can increase my tinnitus.

+1 :thu:

I see we share something in common. Hey, would you get the (telephone, doorbell, pager, etc.)?

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

I get PISSED when a song happens to come on that we'll be covering later, though!

- Jeff

I hear you there. I heard a story when I was on the road of a band that opened for the Oak Ridge Boys during the height of their popularity, and played the entire set that the Oak's had planned, every song. Now that would piss me off.

As far as before gig music, I might listen to some Brubeck, or Corea, or Toto, depending on my mood. Silence is usually not an option, because I'm looking for inspiration on ways to breathe new life in the same old songs.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Whatever I'm in the mood for! What I listen to before (or after) a gig has no relation whatsoever to the fact that I may be playing (or have played) a gig. When I'm in the car, it's just like any other time I'm in the car - I listen to whatever hits me at the moment.

Before the gig(setting up and relaxing before folks arrive)- Erykah Badu, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Grover Washington Jr live, Tower of Power & Azymuth(nothing like great jazz organ vibes to lighten the mood).

After the gig- Everyone seems to love The Best of Donald Byrd for some reason.

TROLL . . . ish.

I sort of agree with Tom (I also like fresh ears), but I have to warm up vocals before gigs (I do nearly all of the backing/harmony vox in my band).

So, I usually do that in the way on the way... go through some basic scale exercises, and then I put on a variety of radio tunes: rock, pop, whatever, and sing along (usually doing harmonies and choruses like I will at the gig). I also (don't laugh) have a habit of singing the National Anthem. It has an octave and a half range, and it's good warmup.

As far as tunes, the club ill often be playing stuff for the early crowd as we set up or wait for our gig time. I find I like things like cool, mellowish blues, or 60s/70s rarities. I get PISSED when a song happens to come on that we'll be covering later, though!

All in all, I try and save my ears for the gig. Interesting subject, though!

- Jeff

I also do vocal warm-ups on the way to the gig (although sometimes I think my fellow travelers on the road see me and think I'm a little nuts singing to myself.) After many years, I learned the hard way that I can blow-out my voice pretty quick if I'm not properly and completely warmed-up.

I usually don't listen to anything and keep the windows rolled up so the wind doesn't desensitise my ears.

However (guilty pleasure alert) on Saturday nights I love to sing along with Garrison Keillor and The Prarie Home Companion. Oh well - I like it.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Most of my playing in recent years was in churches: a loud band playing Christian contemporary stuff. Mostly I'd listen to Bach or other baroque music to get the blood pumping before the gig - a Sunday morning thing even when not playing!

And once there I'd run through some simple classical or jazz things on guitar to get the fingers moving!

I liked the music we played well enough, most of it, and some of the musicians and singers were good.. it's not what I would listen to on my OWN time! ;)

I usually listen to the jazz station from Temple or to a blues show from Penn. On the way home, jazz all the way. I just got a Sirius satellite radio so that will open up my late night options. I like listening to good players before I play because it gives me ideas and gets me inspired to play.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Before the gig - if I listen to anything, it is usually somewhat silmilar to what I'm about to play to help get me in the mindset.

After the gig - I don't want to hear anything even remotely resembling music! On the way home, it's fun to listen to Art Bell chat with alien abductees. :) More times than not, I'll make a stop at Skyline Chile: a time-honored tradition for Cincinnati musicians.

Throughout the week, what I listen to has very little similarity to what I perform on weekends...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Archived