Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Hi

Lynden Garrett here, I've been lurking on and off here over the last few years without ever having the need to post. I've always found answers without having to ask.

So it is only fair that I say thanks and try to pass on my help as best as I can to others.

I'm from Newcastle, Australia. Been playing keys for a long time (Im 40 now). I have been out of the performing arena for about 3 years now, just starting to get back into it.

Some of my gear:

C3 / leslie 122

Rhodes suitcase 73 mk1

S90

Roland JP8 & Juno 106

Novation xstation 61 & 25SL Mkii

(Soon to have nord EL3 or xk3c)

regards

Lynden

====================================

Hammond C3 / 122

Rhodes Suitcase 73 Mk 1

S90, JP6, Juno 106, Nord E3 73, Novation xstation, Voyager Xl

Greetings. I'm a young (16) year old cat who's been playing the piano 8 years, and has been playing in bands for 4 of those years. I'm into all that 60s and 70s funk and rock music, New Orleans Music, jazz, and of course the blues. (Little Feat and the Derek Trucks Band are two of my favorite groups.)

I'm in two bands currently, and also have a neat little myspace with me doing all the tracks. (http://www.myspace.com/joefunkmusic). I'm from Durham, North Carolina.

I have a Nord Electro 2 and an Alesis Micron. I've also been playing drums for 4 years.

Salutations and Greetings-

Joe

Welcome Joe.

There are a lot of members here from that area, and they get together once in a while. There are also a lot of Feat/Billy Payne fans (including myself).

Enjoy yourself!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 months later...

Hi! My real name is Eric, I'm 34 years old and am living in Oakdale, CA. I play keys in my spare time (programmer by trade), mainly as the keyboard player in an 80's pop/new-wave cover band called Zero Hour, which is out of Modesto, CA.

I'm primarily a "synth-guy", although I've had a little formal piano training in the past. Being in an 80s cover band gives me the opportunity to exercise my synthesis skills in trying to nail those sounds.

In my "music room", I have a Korg Triton, and Ensoniq SQ-80 and a Roland RD-700SX along with a music computer and some Event monitors. My playing-out rig is the Triton and SQ-80 through a Traynor K4. The set list is stored in order as "combinations" and MIDI program changes are sent to the SQ-80 in order to keep it sync'ed up program-wise. The SQ-80's output is fed through the Triton in order to use the Triton's effects. For band rehearsal, I play the same boards through a Peavey KB/A-300 just because it's loud enough.

And I'm a Keyboard magazine subscriber... I'm really digging the monthly sound-design column by Mitchell Sigman and I've used it for the "Goodbye To You" solo organ sound, which came out totally authentic.

• 1 month later...

Hello, all,

I'm excited to join the KC community, hope I can help others learn as much as I learn from everybody!

I'm an East Coast, mostly electronica-oriented keyboardist with a lifelong love of Berlin School sequencer blissouts. I'm also a huge progressive-rock fan, so my direct influences range from TD/Schulze/Boddy all the way to Banks/Wakeman/Bodin. Also a big jazz, classical, and world music fan.

I veered far away from music for a long time (since college really) and I'm slowly building my chops back. Think of me at this point as being a lot more towards the "gear" than the "talent" end of the spectrum!

I'm hoping to get some stuff recorded and posted online in the near future. Any tips on the best avenue for doing that (YouTube, MySpace, setting up my own website, ...?) are greatly appreciated! I've been an internet regular for fifteen years now but I've never uploaded anything and don't really have much of a clue where to begin. I'm also working on getting a better icon and some gear pron pix very soon.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to sharing stories and ideas with you!

• 1 month later...

my introduction?

I am called Saku, play a variety of instruments badly for fun, suffer from GAS (and various phobias that prevent me for playing for anyone else). Looking to add a Nord Stage and an Access Virus to my keyboard collection.

I live in Gothenburg, Sweden, but am from Finland, though culturally, I am more Jewish than anything else.

On the keyboards, I play classical and baroque mostly, as well as folk. (other instruments I play everything from metal to blues).

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

my introduction?

I am called Saku, play a variety of instruments badly for fun, suffer from GAS (and various phobias that prevent me for playing for anyone else). Looking to add a Nord Stage and an Access Virus to my keyboard collection.

I live in Gothenburg, Sweden, but am from Finland, though culturally, I am more Jewish than anything else.

On the keyboards, I play classical and baroque mostly, as well as folk. (other instruments I play everything from metal to blues).

Welcome Saku, I've been to Helsinki, & lived in Nykoping, but am more Canadian than anything else... ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• 1 month later...

As prompted by mcgoo...

I'm a long-time lurker but don't post much.

I'm in Nottingham, UK. I play keyboards in two bands: a soul cover band, and an originals band doing quirky pop songs with a prog influence...

And I've just got a regular gig playing piano in a duo in a bar called the Living Room. It's very welcome to just turn up and open the piano lid rather than cart all my gear in!

Gear is a Fantom Xa, Viscount DB3 clonewheel and Roland A-33 master keyboard. One day I'll convince myself I really need a Kurzweil PC3 but I'm not quite there yet.

Nick

Also, as prompted by Mr. Mcgoo.

My name is Ted, I am from E. Coast U.S. My user name is an anagram for the different keyboard players of a little British Rock n Roll outfit. I love basic blues and blues based rock, classic pop, prog rock, psychedelic and garage rock. I also like jazz and am open to all musical ideas. I have come here for great information before purchases and enjoy the discussions here. I am hopeless when it comes to Midi. I was inspired by a recent thread here and am re-learning theory and how to read with some Bach preludes. It is opening up some insights into my rock playing and at the the very least improving my fingering. I enjoy beer and my favorite keyboard player to watch live is the great Terry Adams formerly of NRBQ. Best Regards

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

A real smack-your-head moment!

I am a fairly recent lurker with the occasional post, but, yes, of course, introducing oneself makes perfect sense and is a lot more polite than the lurk.

I am a full time pro musician, freelancing in NYC and now Philly.

Toured and Touring with Various and Sundry Rogues.

You name it, I've played it! (Both gear-wise and style-wise)

My heart is in any Groove-Based Music, Jazz, Funk, Soul, R+B (the REAL Rhythm and Blues) Gospel, Afrobeat, any African, Eastern or Afro-Carribean based music.

My setup right now is a Nord Stage Compact, MacBook Pro (with Logic,Live, Komplete 7, Minimonsta, M-Tron, Pianoteq and Omnisphere) QSC K12's (maybe soon 10's or 8's and hopefully Mark's ashly linemixer!)

I have found the people in this forum to be most generous and helpful with their knowledge and time and I would like to contribute in any way possible, time and professional commitments notwithstanding.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

My user name is an anagram for the different keyboard players of a little British Rock n Roll outfit.

Ian Stewart, Ian McLagen, Nicky Hopkins & Billy Preston I presume? And no Chuck Leavell? Al Kooper? (although he only played on one track IIRC).

regardless, cool name, and welcome. :thu:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

My user name is an anagram for the different keyboard players of a little British Rock n Roll outfit.

Ian Stewart, Ian McLagen, Nicky Hopkins & Billy Preston I presume? And no Chuck Leavell? Al Kooper? (although he only played on one track IIRC).

regardless, cool name, and welcome. :thu:

You got it mcgoo! No disrespect intended to Mssrs. Leavell and Kooper. I cut my teeth digging into Leavell's work on the Allman Bros "Bros. and Sisters", (esp. Southbound and Jessica IIRC), and as for Kooper the first BS&T album is a fairly recent diskovery for me and I have always loved Blonde on Blonde and Super Sessions (esp Season of the Witch).

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Hello everyone. My music non-career started with playing violin in 4th grade. I soon got a VL-Tone for Christmas. I had a great time picking up melodies by ear from the radio. Then a couple years later I got a Casio MT-40. I actually played a "gig" with these two "instruments". My dad helped me make a plexiglass keyboard stand that held both of them. I remember one of the songs we covered was by Aldo Nova (anyone remember them?). I guess this was 7th grade or so.

Around 8th grade I got my first "real" keyboard, a Poly-800. Chuck Leavell came round to our local music store (Lentine's) to demo the instrument. I had to have one after seeing that. The highlight of my music career at this time was playing "Jump" with a high school band at a talent show. We won, of course... how can you go wrong with Jump. I thought I was pretty cool, hanging out with these seniors while I was just a chubby 13 year old.

In 9th & 10th grade, I was playing with a country band, doubling on fiddle. I don't know how I got into these bars, but they let me. Many were just short of having the chickenwire on the stage. I got a Mark II Rhodes with extremely stiff action. I didn't know you could fix that, so I just banged on it with two hands, often two fingers on one key to get enough velocity. It did a number on my playing style... I'm still stuck with a bizarre fingering style to this day because of that stiff Rhodes.

Later in high school, I got a DX-100. At one point, I had a buddy who had a Minimoog. He really liked my DX-100, and suggested that we trade. I told him I had to think about it. About this time, I played with a rock cover band that played 60s-70s tunes.

I got a Korg M1 right out of high school, and played with a band that did oldies (1950 to about 1963). This was a real musical education, as I learned about Fats Domino, Johnnie Johnson, etc. I used a series of piano modules in place of the lousy M1 piano sound: first a Yamaha EMT-10 module, then a Emu Proformance, and finally a Kurzweil Micro Piano.

Then I got my beloved ASR-10. I had the zip drive SCSI and all. It was a great keyboard. By this point I was playing with 2 or 3 bands, country, rock, a little blues/jazz.

I had a Yamaha CP-60M for a while. I regret selling it more than any other piece of gear.

Now that I'm a 40-something with a decent day job (college professor), I am fulfilling my gear wishes. I have a couple Wurlitzer EPs, a Super Continental that needs work, various controller keyboards, Omnichord, softsynths & Macbook, etc. My latest acquisition tops them all: the A-100 you see in my avatar.

These days I am playing with a Zydeco/Cajun band, a country-rock band, and a NOLA funk project that is just getting off the ground. My keyboard of choice has been the NE2 for the last 6 years or so.

Welcome to our new forumites!

(Stu McHopton - love it! I've seen Mac play with his band a few times here in TX. Great guy, too.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I guess I should chime in here...been lurking for long enough.

I'm a former pro musician who sold out for a career as a chiropractor...over the past couple of years, though, I've gotten the chance to jump back into pro music scene during my spare time.

Constantly striving to measure up to the quality of my gear

Hi Joe, Best Regards, I love Mac. I hung out behind a theater here near Boston when he was accompanying Billy Bragg on B3. I had a mint copy of the first Small Faces LP and he was really cool about signing it and shooting the shit for a few minutes. Austin is top of my lost of US cities to visit and I will be sure it coincides with a Bump Band show. Cheers.

Prompted by Mr. Mcgoo:

My name is Kelly Gibson and I am addicted to keyboards. I live near Asheville NC and do most of my playing in this area. I have subscribed to Keyboard magazine since the first issue. I am an old timer having played professionally since the early seventies. Back then, I was influenced by Herbie Hancock, Brian Auger, Tower of Power, and J.S. Bach to name a few. I studied at Wigley and Asscoiates in Minneapolis before attending Berklee. Later, I studied with the late Manfredo Fest for several years after that. As far as gigging, I have been fortunate to work 5-6 nights a week until about 2005 playing everything from polkas to frantic jazz. I have also taught jazz piano privately for several years. In light of the recent downturn in live music opportunities, I am back in school working on a new career to help support my keyboard habit. Unfortunately, my school work-load prevents me from spending too much time in the forum. Like most of us, I have had way too many keyboards through the years. My current keyboards are a S70xs replacing a S90 (for sale), an Electro 3, Electro rack, Rhodes Mark I, A105/142, Yamaha S4 disklavier. I really enjoy the humor, and useful gear information of the forum.

I'm a former pro musician who sold out for a career as a chiropractor...over the past couple of years, though, I've gotten the chance to jump back into pro music scene during my spare time.

Welcome, Carver. Your avatar shows you've got a good sense of humour ;)

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Hi Everyone!

I've been posting for over a year, but I don't think I introduced myself. I starting playing in a blues/rock band and a soul cover band about a year ago after a 15 year absence due to work and family progressions. Now that I'm in my late forties, I find that I really enjoy the the growth that can happen when playing with others and being exposed to different music.

I find it kind of disappointing that I make less or if I'm lucky the same, playing out today than I did in 1982 when I was in college!! I really don't understand that as alcohol has gone up 3% per year for the last 30 years and cover charges too!

I really appreciate the gear advice and feedback that I have received here and once in a while I fell glad when I can contribute my experiences.

My favorite piece of gear is my Nord Electro 3, it is just so versatile, user friendly and light!!!! I love my PC3x, but it is taking me a long time to understand how to get the most from it. I may buy a PC3LE7 for gigging someday.

I hope to meet some of you especially if you are coming or playing in Las Vegas!

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Welcome, Carver. Your avatar shows you've got a good sense of humour ;)

I could say the same to you! ;)

Constantly striving to measure up to the quality of my gear

• 2 weeks later...

I have been here for a while, lurking most of the time.

The name is Hans, 50+ years, living in Sweden. In the Stockholm area.

I have been playing in cover bands mostly. 3 years ago i was asked to join a tribute band focusing on Genesis songs from the Gabriel era. I thought i had to give it a try and it is what i am doing musically right now.

It is an ongoing project to put toghether a rig that is as manageable as possible without relying too much on technology. Less technology means it is a bit harder to play but technology can fail.

My rig today is Hammond XK3 with a Ventilator, Nord Stage 88, Nord Wave, Korg Wavestation and a Creamware Prodyssey.

The lower manual on the XK3 is midied to the Stage witch in turn is midied to the Wave. That's because i want to be able to play some pianoparts on the lower manual and also be able to layer organ with Tron-samples, and play some RMI sounds from the Wave on the Stage... this is a bit confusing :confused: but the Stage makes is quite easy.

The Wavestation is acting as a keyboard for the Prodyssey.

And i play a Line6 Acoustic guitar on a couple of song to.

Here is some pic's and videos:

http://setribute.wordpress.com/

Cheers!

I have been here for a while, lurking most of the time.

The name is Hans, 50+ years, living in Sweden. In the Stockholm area.

I have been playing in cover bands mostly. 3 years ago i was asked to join a tribute band focusing on Genesis songs from the Gabriel era. I thought i had to give it a try and it is what i am doing musically right now.

It is an ongoing project to put toghether a rig that is as manageable as possible without relying too much on technology. Less technology means it is a bit harder to play but technology can fail.

My rig today is Hammond XK3 with a Ventilator, Nord Stage 88, Nord Wave, Korg Wavestation and a Creamware Prodyssey.

The lower manual on the XK3 is midied to the Stage witch in turn is midied to the Wave. That's because i want to be able to play some pianoparts on the lower manual and also be able to layer organ with Tron-samples, and play some RMI sounds from the Wave on the Stage... this is a bit confusing :confused: but the Stage makes is quite easy.

The Wavestation is acting as a keyboard for the Prodyssey.

And i play a Line6 Acoustic guitar on a couple of song to.

Here is some pic's and videos:

http://setribute.wordpress.com/

Cheers!

Excellent Watcher & Supper Hans!

I'm not sure how successful you are with the 'less technology' idea though ;)

Valkommen!

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Hi, my name's Simon and I'm based in London, UK.

I first started in music aged 13, when I had a couple of years of play-by-ear lessons on arranger keyboards. I played them on and off for a while, got out of it for a bit, and have come back into it over the last few years (I'm 29 now). I still own and use a PSR-series keyboard for solo gigs occasionally, but I prefer to play a "real" instrument given the choice (I have a Yamaha S90 ES and a Waldorf Blofeld keyboard).

I'm currently trying to teach myself blues piano, jazz chords and sight-reading - not all at the same time :crazy:

I came across this forum a few weeks ago, and it looks like a fantastic resource with some hugely knowledgeable and experienced people. I get the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot more reading than posting, but I just wanted to say hi anyway :)