Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Thanks, Wolvesparade for Your warmly welcoming words. And, yes, I've been a bit slowish on the introduction side of matters.

It's beautiful here, but the weather is somewhat inconstant. Friday (Midsummers' eve, a big holiday here) we had about 25 C and sunny. Yesterday and today about 13 and some rain. Hoping for some sun tomorrow, though.

Kind greetings.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

• 3 weeks later...

Name is Brian and I am the keyboard player, manager, booking agent, and all that other business stuff for a Dave Matthews Tribute Band out of Rochester, NY.

In browsing the forum, I see there are at least 2 members who are from the area with 1 in a band whose name I recognize (Soul On Tap).

By day, I am a manager at Xerox in the IT world and like many I'm sure, my weekend-warrior hobby is a musician. Grew up classically trained but after getting sick of not being able to play what I wanted, quit by age 12. Took up guitar on my own at age 14, and by age 16, realized I was just no good at it.

Skip down a few years and after college I was playing some video games and came to a point where I needed a new hobby. Found my first "real" keyboard on craigslist, 2 days later answered a band ad looking for keyboards, and 6 years later here I am.

For a long time my main board was a Korg Triton ProX, which I loved. I very much enjoy playing many different manufacturers however as you will see with my equipment list, I do have a preference towards Korg!

Loved the Triton, and I picked up a Korg CX3 a few years ago. After a festival gig on a sandy beach, the CX3 started booting up with an error so it is currently sitting in my basement waiting for a repair someday.

Well then a few months ago, I picked up the Korg Kronos. If they weren't all on the same power switch, my Triton wouldn't even be turned on since I got it. I love the Kronos to say the least. (73 key weighted).

I have your typical "home studio" in my basement with a nice multi-tier stand for all my keyboards. My Kronos is my 1 and only main board at this point for gigging.

I use IEM's for gigs, and own a Shure PSM 200 system with SCL5 earbuds. I also own (and LOVE) my MoTu 828mk3 lite digital mixer on stage.

I initially found this place after I searched for a way to improve the default programs of the CX3 engine within the Kronos. I feel the presets really just lack some things and have found some good resources on ways to improve them.

Anyway, look forward to discussing all things keyboards with folks here. Cheers and happy music making!

-Brian

Big Eyed Phish - Dave Matthews Tribute

www.bigeyedphish.com / www.facebook.com/bigeyedphish

Hi, I'm Mike Leghorn. I really appreciate being part of your community!

I live in Evanston, Il (U.S.A.) with my lovely wife and daughter, and myriad of pets. I have a day job in IT, but at night I'm a composer / arranger. I do primarily electronic music, due to the high convenience factor.

My biggest passion for the past year has been arranging The Planets for synthesizer. I've finally completed it (although I will continue to make a few tweaks here and there) and have posted it on my soundcloud page.

Now that I've finished that, I'm looking forward to getting back into composing. I'll definitely do some more arranging in the near future -- maybe the Goldberg Variations.

My setup: Asus i7 laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, Sonar X1 64-bit. For audio interface I use USB Audio out to a DAC in my headphone amp. I use Sennheiser HD800s.

Music is my main passion. I've been listening to classical music for more than 40 years. I have an immense collection. My favorite composers are (in roughly chronological order): Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Berlioz, Wagner, Chopin, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Elgar, Prokofiev, Bartok, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Debussy, Ravel, Respighi.

I compose and arrange to reflect back my deep love for music.

• 4 months later...

Hello.

My name is Russ. Age 53. I am pretty much a total beginner to keyboards. I have played a bit of guitar and bass in the past, but never more than badly. I hope to do better than that with this.

I have toyed with piano in the past, but not seriously. Just enough to want to give it a real try. Never got past just using my right hand only. Looking for something to teach myself. I really like the Alfred guitar books, hoping to find something like that.

Just got a Yamaha DGX 230 for Christmas. It was what I asked for, but I really want a synth.

Plan is to learn to play well enough to entertain my wife, or at least not drive her nuts. She is already requesting Christmas songs.

Then I want to get more into the synth side of things. I am already looking into synth software to use. Found the Reason program online, looks interesting.

Mostly into 80's heavy metal/hair bands and also alot of the British type stuff from the early 80's as well. At least as far as synth type music.

Glad I found this site. I had forgotten there was a Keyboard magazine.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Dave Doerfler here. I've been lurking off and on here for quite a while. Finally decided to register. Some of you already know me from various Yahoo groups, been doing that for almost a decade. Hoping joining will help me channel my GAS in the right direction.

dave

:nopity:

Dave Doerfler here. I've been lurking off and on here for quite a while. Finally decided to register. Some of you already know me from various Yahoo groups, been doing that for almost a decade. Hoping joining will help me channel my GAS in the right direction.

dave

Welcome Dave! It may or may not send you in the right direction, but it will no doubt intensify it! :laugh:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Hi, my name is Doug. I live in Roy, WA. I am restarting keyboards again.

I had a Moog D and a Fender 73 in the 70's. Had to sell to avoid a Imperial entanglement. :(

(piano lessons in grade school/jr high, trumpet and French horn)

I got a Yamaha PSR-E433 a couple months ago. last month I got a Roland GAIA, and a Axiom 25. I am amazed at what these can do. (I haven't touched a keyboard since 78) I also have Cakewalk Music Creator 6.

The first thing I found out was that I can't remember chords without stopping and thinking about them.(reading sheet music) lol. I have been thinking I should take a couple lessons to get me back to speed.

I am not up on the midi yet. I got it hooked up and running the soft synths, pads are fun. I thought it would be a ordeal. I don't know how to program the knobs yet, or if I can get different sounds on the pads. But the basics seem to be easy.

I was in the Navy 20 years aviation electronics tech. Got out worked for Pitney Bowes for 4 years, then went to school for surgical tech. I also was a vol FF/EMT, was a EMT for awhile, worked in a ER for a year then now in a OR.

Welcomes to Dave (who I recognize from some Yahoo groups) and Doug!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's the headline: DYSPEPTIC YORKVILLE RELIC

Long ago, I used to be a serious musician. I played keyboards and sang in working rock bands in the late 1960's and '70's--the old Yorkville-Toronto scene. It was a good ride, but my commitment to music weakened when the excesses of band life began to take a serious toll. I became a weekend warrior, then a fill-in replacement, then a solo noodler, then a curator of unused, dusty relics of a time that seems now more dream than reality.

After a long fallow period, I began playing again--practicing, jamming, buying new gear, digging up old tunes, scribbling new ones, looking into computer-based recording. I discovered sequencers, virtual instruments, effects plugs, a Swedish company called Clavia that made brilliant compact 'boards called Nords that channeled my favorite gear from the stone age....and got lost in music creation once more.

In my day I played Hammonds through Leslies: an M3, L-100, M-100 and briefly, gloriously, a chopped down B3. I used a Hohner Clavinet and an RMI Electrapiano in a band the leader of which had a deep-seated prejudice against any instrument that had seen the inside of a church. I was the first on my block to own a first-generation Korg CX-3, one of the finest inventions in the history of rock keyboards (or so say those in the medical profession who treat musicians with herniated discs).

Now I jam and occasionally perform with other like-minded relics and record my tunes at leisure in my basement studio. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and wish I'd found this place years ago. Cheers to you all.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

What a coincidence! I'm old and dyslexic too!

:laugh:

Then you too will appreciate the sonic and tactile virtues of a Dron Ortcele 3 PH as a gigging board...

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, my name is Philip,

I'm an old bloke who's fairly new to keyboards and piano, the story being that 2 years ago I decided to do something about my late father's Vox organ and amplifier that I'd been moving from house to house, garage to garage over the last 20 years. The equipment being an AC30 + Vox continental II daing back to the early-mid 1960's. Both are now in tip-top working order and I've been self teaching to read & play music. In the last 6 months I've been in a band playing Rhythmn & blues.

My equipment now includes a Neo Vent, Hammond XK-1, Yam. MM6 Synth + Yam. digi piano.

I'm looking forward to chatting to you all, and I have some questions to ask as well,

All best

Philip

;)

Always be playing...

Here's m' gear:

VOX Continental II - double manual, VOX AC30, Leslie 3300, Hammond XK-1, Yamaha digital piano, Yamaha MM6 Synth, NEO Vent, Rowe Industries DeArmond volume pedal

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, brothers and sisters.

My name is Matt. I used to play keyboards in a rock band. I still do, but I used to, too.

Up until very recently, I had a rather nice day job with a good, steady income. My wife was not pleased with the rotating schedule and the lifestyle associated with a 40 hour work week, and ultimately convinced (coerced) me to give up my career and go back to (trying) to be a musician.

As it turns out, there appears to be a shortage of available keyboard players in the area. I have been picked up by a drummer/guitar player who runs a local blues jam. He just happens to keep a B3, with leslie, and a Rhodes 73 laying around, and he still can't get anybody to come out and play. And all I have to do is show up.

Ridiculous.

Anyways, thanks to all who have helped me thus far. I would just like to apologize in advance for anything I say that may offend someone.

You lucky SOB, both for the wife and the gig with the B3 and Rhodes. Welcome to the KC! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Another ol' fart here. Hi, my name is chas (Charles, really, but it takes too long to type). Like many others here, I've lived a double life for most of my adult life; musican part of the time and normal, sane, adult human being the rest of the time. Currently, retired and part-time musician. In my former life I was both military and commercial pilot, Systems Eng. Mgr at IBM (and EDS), and small business owner (computer consulting firm). Hobbies include Motorcycling (own four bikes but am now pretty much restricted to my Burgman 650 Exec because of hip replacement), and aviation. Been playing since I was @ 7. Started playing organ in the 70's and been playing (mostly in jazz clubs) off and on every since, interupted by bouts of having to provide food and shelter for my family. The obligatory 'home studio', filled with lots of stuff that hasn't been touched in years (pack rat bordering on being a hoarder). Been resisting re-aquiring a 'B3 + Leslie' for the home, but have now settled on a KeyB Due MK111 which will arive Tues. Nice forum with a lot of really smart guys; I should fit right in :) .

.....but enough about me....

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Welcome, and did you see this thread? :)

I did, and will post there as soon as I can get some pics up on photobucket. Besides, I need to get to 40 posts in order to provide some 'bargin' opportunities for members who may share my gear addition.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been a KC member/reader now for several years but, as my post-counter indicates, Im not a frequent submitter. Great info and laughs here, btw. I realized not too long ago, I never came through the introduction thread. Well better late than never. Better yet, Im updating my signature below. This comes after many years of searching for my musical identity. I think Ive found it. It came one Sunday afternoon as I was entering a retirement home where I volunteer a couple times a month (agree with previous threads a rewarding experience). The facility is a very nice and well-kept place. Communication among the staff however is not the best. So anyway, you have to key code to get in and out of the place. On one of the first Sundays I played there, I showed up at the door with my DP in tow and was greeted by one of the assistants who wondered why I was there. After hearing me explain that I was a new volunteer there to play piano, she called out down the hall, hey, the piano guy is here. I like the ring of that. From the piano guy formely known as Al Buzzmann...
Al, the Piano Guy

Gear below is posted in chronological order that I first posted on the Organforum, which is the first kb forum I ever belonged to. I also belong to The Yahoo Hammond, Clonewheel and nearly dead Organ-ized Forum. I also belong to 2 Casio forums. I'm 59 now

I really did not start playing professionally until I was about 49. I took piano lessons as a kid but just noodled around on my old spinet for years. When my kids took piano lessons at a local music store, and could not make them due to Field Hockey, Lacrosse, etc., I sat in for them rather than waste the money. That led to a few months of lessons for me and I finally actually was able to play somewhat decent and met several other interesting musicians there. One guitarist had the same interest in Springsteen as me so we started to jam together. Several other instrumentalists joined us and we started a Bruce cover Band called Boss. Thus, my Bossbandbob handle. We never could get a sax player to stick with us, added a real good female singer who we also wanted to feature so we evolved into a regular everyday Classic Rock cover band that played area clubs and lasted 9 years. After that ended I tried to startup another Springsteen Tribute but could never get the right players together. Then played in another couple of cover bands until joining the best band I've been with so far (in many ways), Petty Larceny. A TP tribute where I'm totally enjoying pretending to be Benmont! His stuff seems to really fit my playing style.

I also finally realized about 4 years ago that to get the organ tones (THAT sound) I needed for Classic Rock that I had to own a real Hammond and Leslie. So I have developed a combination of HAS and GAS which is tough to feed on a private school teacher's salary while putting 2 girls through college. I teach art and photography. I'm still trying to master the Hammond, esp. the drawbars which I guess will be a lifelong process!

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha S08

Yamaha DGX-500

1959 Hammond M3

1961 Hammond A101

VB3

1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor

1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.

1953 Hammond M2 currently in about 50 pieces (trying to soup up and chop)

Neo Ventilator

Casio WK-7500

Yamaha P50m Module

Roland VK-7

and a Yammy powered mixer and PA,and an assortment of amps and pedals

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

• 4 weeks later...
Hello. Let me indroduce myself. My Name is Bob Reeve and I've played the piano since I was six. I realized last year that I've been playing for over fifty years now. I used to visit Sonikmatter every evening. Just three years ago I was sitting in church thinking "someone should play that electronic keyboard up there". Long story short I figured "It can't be that hard" So started my passion for more sounds and voices. The first board was the church's Kurzweil SP88x. Nice but not enough. So I bought an SP4-8. What a cool board. This last month I sold my one hundred year old Harrington baby grand and then the church offered to buy my SP4-8. So now I'm looking forward to getting the new Kurzweil Artis (wish they could get them to market sooner). Well that's my life story to now. Cheers! ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

Hello. Let me indroduce myself. My Name is Bob Reeve and I've played the piano since I was six. I realized last year that I've been playing for over fifty years now. I used to visit Sonikmatter every evening. Just three years ago I was sitting in church thinking "someone should play that electronic keyboard up there". Long story short I figured "It can't be that hard" So started my passion for more sounds and voices. The first board was the church's Kurzweil SP88x. Nice but not enough. So I bought an SP4-8. What a cool board. This last month I sold my one hundred year old Harrington baby grand and then the church offered to buy my SP4-8. So now I'm looking forward to getting the new Kurzweil Artis (wish they could get them to market sooner). Well that's my life story to now. Cheers! ~BOB

Welcome Bob! Let us know how you like your new Artis when you get it. Please go into painful detail about how much better it is than the dreaded "triple strike" piano in the SP88x. :)

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

:nopity:

Well I never thought of triple strike as "dreaded". It just is what it is. Today in church, I layered it in with organ and strings when our pianest couldn't play and it filled in the sound quite nicely. In the Artis I'm really looking at the PC3+core64 sounds with stage piano simplicity for around 2K. I might even like the six strike piano too. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj