Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Didn't realise this thread existed.

I'm Arkan, studying music here in London and aspiring to be a professional keyboardist and composer. I only came across this forum recently and was rather taken by the input of the membership.

Fell in love with the keys at a very early age and, since discovering soul, funk and jazz, became immediately hooked on the sounds of the Rhodes, Wurli, Clav and Hammond as well as the Moog and ARP lines used in such music. Since then, I've been discovering more and more and still (forever?) learning.

Anyway, I hope to get to know you lot. Seems like a cool community and a good place to continue my quest.

[align:right]##

##[/align]

Hi all,

I'm Brian... found this forum a couple of days ago. I've been playing since 1981 when was a freshman in high school. My rig back then was a Korg Polysix and a Korg Delta. Back then, the keyboard player that go me hooked was Doug Johnson of Loverboy.

My current keyboards are:

Roland Fantom X8

Roland XP-80

Roland JD-800

Yamaha KX-88 (near mint condition - considering selling)

A box of Korg Polysix internals in my attic. (anyone need?)

Currently living in Flowery Branch, GA (suburb of Atlanta).

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOXF6, Nektar Impact LX61, Macbook Air

Kia ora from New Zealand in the South Pacific.

Really glad that I stumbled upon this forum a couple of months ago.

Thankfully, I do not rely on making music to put food on the table. This is convenient, as I'm not an amazing player. But I do love the process of making music (including writing, recording and playing live). I play keyboards - in my songwriting project with my bro (Meech Brothers), and with another guy who writes his own folk and alt-country tunes (Matt Hay). I feel really lucky to be able to do this.

The music that I make with my brother, we describe as "bespoke indie folktronica". Pretentious? A little. I really like the current DIY/indie movement, and how just about anything seems possible. I guess we are trying to make slightly wonky pop music. But it wasnt always this way.

The road to this point started with a few piano lessons from my mum (a piano teacher) when I was 5, but I moved to the trumpet through my youth and teens. We got into R&B, blues, funk and soul, and we had a band. I gravitated back to keyboards in my early twenties and bought a Hammond XB-2 clonewheel when they came out, and played it on a couple of songs in the R&B band. The band disintegrated in the mid-nineties, and I started to identify more with slightly left of centre pop bands of the day, than with the pioneering fathers of American music (although, all of that wonderful roots music continues to inform everything that I do). Started to write songs, but really didnt give it enough oxygen (I was in my twenties, and easily distracted), and then music went on the back-burner early in the new millennium.

Got back into it around 2004 with the offer to join Matts band. We started gigging semi-frequently and I decided that I needed a new axe and bought a Nord Electro 2. That was really pivotal. It gave me my decent Hammond sound, but more importantly it gave me those classic old electric pianos that I love. Having a decent instrument is inspiring it sounded good, so I wanted to play more. It was great for my chops (I have only had a couple of formal lessons in my life) and helped fuel my passion for music and (an increasingly obsessive) interest in vintage keyboards. Thank you Clavia. You saved me.

Next, bought a hardware interface for my PC (Mackie Onyx Satellite) and got into home recording, and back into writing songs. These days I sub-let a ProTools-equipped studio.

More and more I am drawn to synthesizers and recently bought a microKorg to fill that gap (for now).

One day I'd love to own some of the vintage instruments that my digital machines try to replicate.

Thanks for providing some entertaining and informative reading so far. I hope I can bring something to the conversation.

Cheers!

Clint

My blog

Nord Electro 2 | microKorg | Casiotone MT-65 | Hammond XB-2 | Korg Electribe-R ER-1

• 5 weeks later...

Brian,

I used to play a KORG Delta and a KORG Poly 61. I also had an ARP 4 Voice Piano, KORG EPS1 and a Moog Prodigy.

Back in the early 1980s, I asked a service technician to hot rod my Delta with additional modulation waveforms (internally wired to the audio output) and an he also installed a modulation intensity knob. It was real cool - great effects. Years later, I needed money so I sold the Delta. It was a versatile synth for its time.

Steve Coscia

I guess it may be time to use this thread to introduce myself. I have been playing keyboards for going on 35 years or so. I started out in public school in the band on clarinet. My brother was/is a professional guitar player at the other end of the province, so when I was 18 I decided that the Rock and Roll Life was for me. I started playing piano/keyboards and woodwinds for a group of guys 20 years older that myself and learned a lot fast to say the least. I have played/faked my way through country, rock top 40 and so-on. Presently I play with in several pick-up

situations around town. I gave up going out for about 10 years being a little fed up

but am back with a vengeance, much to my wife's chagrin!! I look forward to being able to learn about new gear etc, and hopefully make a useful contribution here. Cheers Mike :laugh:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm Jose from Spain, and I have been playing keyboards for 2 years (I'm 14 right now). I also play the guitar, and mainly listen to metal, along with pretty much everything that sounds good to me ;)

I have a youtube channel where I upload vids of me playing (http://www.youtube.com/user/Jotaeme97).

And I think that's all. Regards, Jose :)

Gear: Korg Trinity V3 Plus, Yamaha PF80,Korg MicroKey, Stratocaster and Acoustic guitar, both Squier, and some old Yamaha keyboard whose name I don't know :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My name is Bobby and I'm a recovering .... sorry that's for a different forum.

I'm now an old man with silver hair. I'm so old that I worked as a musician/entertainer professionally for 17 years, and still built a 30 year systems career.

Well, the 30 year systems career is history, and I want to get back to performing again. Unfortuantely, I don't know what equipment is available and being used today. Back in the day (sigh), I worked with a B3 (including petals), a combination electric piano/string synthesizer, and a few miscellaneous toys.

But now I'm completely out of the loop as to what sort of equipment is available and useful to a solo act.

I'm hoping to put together what once would have been called multi-media shows combining audio and video. Right now, I'm concerned with the equipment that can be used nowdays to create a substantial solo presence on stage: prerecorded digital accompianments, singing harmonies with myself live, and -- of - course -- a good useful keyboard.

For example, I've heard of keyboard workstations, but am ignorant of their functionality. Also, they didn't look particularly useful for live performances. But what do I know.

Any information on the tools and methods of constructing music (as opposed to creating which is much close to composing) with today's technology will be quite helpful.

Bobby

"Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over."

Attributed to F. Scott Fitzgerald, but uncited.

Much more elegant and very much less schmaltzy than Kipling.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of information on here on modern technology, with the exception of the video part. I'd suggest you search the forum for existing threads about the technology to get you started, then ask specific questions from there. Just to bring you up to current technology and terms, following are some terms:

Analog/VA - you're familiar with analog synthesizers like the minimoog and prophet 5, I'm sure. While there are still analog synths out there, you'll also see "VA" which stands for Virtual Analog - it's a digital model of analog synths.

Sampler - means you can record your own sounds and play them back (like the mellotron, but digital).

ROMpler - is a term used to describe a keyboard loaded with a whole bunch of samples that does sample playback, but does not allow the user to sample their own sounds

Modeling - like VA, there are other modelling engines that emulate anything from B3, to electric pianos, strings, acoustic pianos, etc. Unlike samples, they mathmatically generate the sound the way the original would have. The advantage is that you can control parameters specific to the orgininal instrument, like key click, bleed, etc. on B3.

Workstation - a workstation combines one or more synthesis types in a keyboard along with an onboard sequencer. Some sequencers allow for not only MIDI tracks, but audio tracks as well. An example of a modern workstation is the Korg Kronos which includes 9 different synthesis engines with an onboard sequencer that includes audio tracks and onboard effects.

Various manufacturers have different terms for what could be considered a vary complex Arppegiator. Korg has Karma, Roland has RPS (at least that's what they used to call it, maybe they've changed that). Those can help in doing more complex arrangements "live" rather than canning your backing tracks.

In terms of lighting and video, those don't tend to be discussed much here. Roland has some products geared towards this such as the V-1 which is like a video sampler. Video clips can be triggered via MIDI as well as looped, speed controlled, etc. They also have video mixers, etc.

Lighting generally uses DMX, but a lighting controller can be controlled via MIDI to change scenes, etc.

You'll find you want to approach something like what you want to do from one of 3 angles. 1) Use an onboard sequencer to trigger tracks, video samples, lighting scenes from a hardware workstation, 2) Record audio/video in a studio with a click track and play along, 3) do a laptop based system with sequencing, audio, video all in the laptop and use a controller keyboard to control sounds in the laptop and/or modules, etc.

Anyway, welcome again - look around, and feel free to start threads asking questions as they come up.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Wow! What a great answer to start with. At least now I have an idea of what homework I need to do.

I really didn't expect any comments on the video, but I thank you for yours.

As I get further into things, I'm sure I'll ask for more info, and who knows, maybe I'll get to the point where I can engage the conversation intelligently.

Thanks again.

Bobby

"Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over."

Attributed to F. Scott Fitzgerald, but uncited.

Much more elegant and very much less schmaltzy than Kipling.

I think if you played as a pro for that long, played a B3 and pedals, etc., you can contribute already. There are many B3 fans here for one, and I bet you can talk about your playing experiences and knowledge. You'll catch on as far as the current tech over time.

Welcome!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Two introductions in this post:

1. I'm Mike, from London UK. I'm currently a weekend warrior in a covers band - music an important hobby but not a career. I thought I'd quickly post an introduction before heading off to tonight's gig.

I've had years of piano lessons, and I definitely approach keyboard playing from a pianistic (rather than organ-ic?) perspective. I have to say this place has helped open my eyes to all sorts of new ideas (it's the reason I got my melodica!)

My old rig: Alesis QS6.2 (secondhand 8 years ago) + Oberheim (in name only) MC1000 - so the QS is making all the sounds. I've got to say the QS is a great design: light weight but rugged, PCMCIA expansion cards, four controllers, aftertouch, wheels and pedals, internal PSU... (shame it doesn't have resonance on the filter, but hey).

2. My new rig: NS2 73 (arrived yeasterday), and I'm keeping the QS as a controller/backup board. I've recently hit what sociologists call "a significant life event" and have treated myself to a new board. On paper it looked ideal but I knew that previous Nords had disappointed in the piano department. I tried one in a music shop (with my IEMs) and before I knew it an hour had passed and I was late for my meeting.

I haven't transferred all my patches onto the Nord for tonight's gig - there hasn't been time. I've got my five Live presets ready to go: grand/upgright/B3/Rhodes, and "extern transmit on CH1" - which takes the place of the MC1000. QS into the monitor In on the Nord, and that will allow me to get through the gig. I may post a gig report with my thoughts.

Cheers, Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello - 56 Years old, been playing around with keys since I graduated high school (late starter). My priorities are time with my wife & the day job, but I try & work on original music composition projects when I can. Basically, I figured out that my role in the music industry is to support the musical equipment makers, most recently the folks that make Hammond XK3c, Leslie 3300 and Roland RD700nx. Found this forum after someone posted the Band Dynamics "should I quit the band" thread, which was hilarious. Cheers, - Clancy

Hey Clancy - where in Texas? There's a bunch of forumites in/near Dallas, and me in Houston.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy, I'm 28 and live in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County). I've been playing keyboards on and off for 17 years. Just at home initially, but for the last 8 I've been playing out more and more, mostly at church or for fun in bands generally comprised of buddies. Music isn't my vocation, but I enjoy it a lot, so I've invested quite a bit of time and money into it. I also play bass, guitar, mandolin, drums, saxophone, and noodle around with a few other instruments.

I suppose I'd consider myself essentially a hard/classic rock player, but tinges of a lot of other genres thrown in. Jazz has been a fairly constant music listening interest, with metal declining over time and electronic genres and blues rising. My goal this year is to further my knowledge of synthesis and get more into jazz and blues piano.

My current keyboard rig is a Yamaha Motif XS8, Nord Electro 3 73, and Alesis Ion, all run through a Roland KC-550. In the next few weeks I'm going to be purchasing an Access Virus TI2 to replace the Ion, and adding a Neo Ventilator and Ocean Beach DB-1 to the Electro to pass the GAS for the 4D. I also have a Yamaha Motif ES rack, Kurzweil PC-88 MX, Casio WK-3500, and Alesis NanoSynth at home.

"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I just discovered this forum recently. I greatly enjoy reading it. Some really interesting folks and great discussions.

To introduce myself...

I went to college at the Hartford Conservatory of Music pursuing a dream to play jazz full time. Somehow tho I ended up getting a job as a software engineer and I have been doing that as my full time day gig ever since.

Part time I have played in many bands over the years playing a lot of different styles.

Currently I play in a contemporary christian band at a large local church Sunday mornings and evenings. We also do some concerts and coffee houses. I also play in a classic rock / blues / jam band playing local clubs

On this forum I have espcially enjoyed the lengthy discussions on Hammonds and clonewheels. I had to make that decision recently. I ended up with a Hammond XK-1 with a vent. But all of the clonewheels are so good these days it is a tough choice. This forum is the main reason I ended up with the vent - I am loving it.

Cheers

Welcome to both Duke and DaBois,

Well, not all of us can be keyboard players, some has to push vind thru the clarinet (and get COPD and no longer have enough wind to push). There are frequent discussions/rants/raves/etc about speakers and amplification systems here. Speaking of Idaho, that is the ONE state that I still don't have a confirmed contact with in ham radio.

DaBois, I also play in our church worship band, and in a group that is a mix of country/gospel/oldies/rock. Clone selection can be interesting. I serviced electronic musical instruments for close to 30 years, and played a lot of tonewheel Hammonds, some great, some not so great. I had an Electro 3 for a while, but now do the Hammond thing with a PC3/PC361.

Both - enjoy the forum

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Trent Woods, next to New Bern, 15 miles from Cherry Point.

No kidding! Very cool... We probably only went to New Bern a dozen or so times, and I don't remember Trent Woods, but I really liked that area. This was back in the early to mid 70's.

Hi,

Maybe it's time for a short (?) introduction, since I find this forum very helpful and friendly.

JE62 (first names initials & year of birth). I live in Helsinki, Finland.

About here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katajanokka

I started with classical piano lessons, followed by blues, rock etc. playing. I've been into jazz and bossa nova for some 15 - 20 years. Had a bit of gear over the years, but I always had to trade or sell to get new better or worse gear. Here's a list of my past gear (as far as I remember:)

Hellas Figaro

Lira 49 PRS

Farfisa VIP 233

Viscount Intercontinental M50

Yamaha CS-5

Yamaha CP10

Yamaha SK10

Crumar Stratus

Hohner Pianet

Roland Juno 60

Casio SK1

Kawai K1 II

Kawai K4r

Rhodes 73 Stage Piano Mark II

Hammond L100

Roland JX-1

Hammond XB-1

Roland FP-2

Walton 50N

Yamaha C35

Hammond Sk1

The Sk-1 is my only pro instrument for the time of being - still got that Finnish-made Walton Organ in a corner. But I wish I still had the CS-5...hope my list didn't bogart this thread:) too much.

Best greetings,

JE

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

Welcome, JE62! I think you'll find some love for the SK-1 around here.

Welcome aboard, even though it's been a few months. :wave:

Also, your neighbourhood looks beautiful!

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.