Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Well, there go 227 posts down the tubes. I'm a newbie again.

Haven't visited here in ages upon ages, during which time the forum software got confused about me for the second time. I used to be Fulcrum until the day I tried to log in with that name and was advised that that name had already been taken; later as Fulc, but after time and a half went by the software no longer recognized either handle. So I signed up again as Fulcrum. Really, I'm not a multiple identity; I only had this one when I woke up this morning.

To recapitulate and update what I said a few years ago, along with a few of the tired jokes I used then:

Significance of handle: @Fulcrum is the current name of my project, a progressive jam band.

Physical location: somewhere in the wilds of suburban Connecticut.

Recent accomplishments: two albums on iTunes, a proggy one under the @Fulcrum name called Luminous City, and a new-agey one under my own name called Movement Along A Path. Currently working on a two-disc follow-up to the first @Fulcrum album, if it doesn't kill me first. Gigging with numerous bands in the Bridgeport and New Haven areas. Reiki II attuned.

Axes: composer, keyboards (oh hahahahaha really?), voice

Equipment:

-- hardware --

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz yada yada yada

MOTU Traveler

M-Audio Axiom 61

Carvin FX 1244 desk

-- software --

Logic Studio and its attendant soft synths and FX plugs

Native Instruments Absynth, Battery, Massive, and B4

Rob Papen Albino and Predator

XLN Addictive Drums

numerous other AU plugs and instruments

-- waiting in the wings --

old kit such as a MicroMoog, Ensoniq EPS, Chroma Polaris, two count'em two Oberheim Matrix-1000s, and other fiddly things I can't remember now or aren't worth mentioning.

Hair: none

Eyes: hazel

weight: 13 stone

Scotch: shyeah right, I drink Remy Martin VSOP.

Good to be back..

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

My posts are often long, especially introduction ones, but I'll try to keep this brief. I'm a student based in Montreal and am in love with synthesizers. I first started playing piano as a boy, and got into synthesizers a few years ago.

I like to think that I've come a long way since buying my first synth in 2007 at 14; I purchased my first analog synth, a beautiful Juno-60 last year, and recently picked up my second vintage synth, a DX7. I got into recording this summer, and use Logic Pro on a MacBook Pro with a PreSonus interface.

I also own various other keyboard instruments, and plan on buying myself an accordion in a couple of months. I'm a big fan of the current Montreal indie music scene (my profile name is a nod to the band Wolf Parade), but I appreciate lots of music, and I'm even a fan of music history.

I'm a subscriber of Keyboard Magazine, and look forward to becoming an active forum user. I had an old account and posted once or twice about an old organ we brought home and quickly threw away, but I forgot about its credentials. Either way, this post is getting a bit long now, so enough about me.

Cheers,

Sean

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

My name is Ken. I play synths and piano. I take photos. I play guitar. I have a recording studio. I like watching basketball. I think Dave Bryce rules. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Michael Brown. I go by piano39 on this and other forums.

I'm, 54 years old, married, two kids. I am a VP at a manufacturer in Ohio.

I started playing organ at age 11. Was only half interested until I heard ELP. Built a PAIA 2720 synthesizer in high school (still have it). Was in a prog rock band in college that played most of the "Yes Album" , some ELP, Genesis etc using a Hammond M3/Leslie and the PAIA.

Played in a variety of bands since then. Currently play in a local bar band called Bar Trek (www.bartrek.net)

I really enjoy my studio. Run Sonar with a bunch of soft synths. Have a Yamaha Motif ES, Alesis QS7 and Micron, bunch of other old modules and drum machines.

Here are a few things that I posted on Soundcloud:

ash tabula rasa

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

My name is André and I am from the Netherlands....that is Holland.

I don't wear wooden shoes, nor do I live in a windmill, don't smoke funny stuff and don't use my fingers to prevent the dykes from collapsing.

My profession is piano tuning. Both concerts and private.

I have seen a lot of instruments over the last 20+ years (I am 43 years of age).

Instead of going to the conservatory I went to a piano mechanic/tuner school that only Holland and Germany seem to have to my knowledge.

I have also been into electronic instruments for over 25 years.

Starting with a Hohner pianet T and my most precious spending ever....a Yamaha CP70.

Now I have a Kawai mp8, Nord electro 3, Tyros2 and since last week a Numa organ.

I do perform during private dinners and weddings.Mostly on a grand or acoustic piano that I take care of before I play.

I really feel sorry for all those pianists that have to settle with the average non-regulated out of tune, way to uneven harsh hotel lobby instruments.

I feel very comforted, because in 1...2 hours I can make ''something'' out of the lousiest instruments.

I am into Hammond organs too,....that is enjoying their sound.

André

Welcome André! I have a friend from Holland and he has also dispelled me from those myths. He's lived here in the states for years, and says that people back in Holland say he has developed an accent from speaking English all the time so that when he speaks Dutch it makes him sound snobby! :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks Joe,

It is true.....even correspondents from newspapers/TV stations have this tendency to speak Dutch with this English flavour in no time.

I wouldn't call it snobby, because although we are totally lacking ''the Oxford English grammar'' , we like to speak English.

Every visitor to our country would agree....even the grocery store employee will give it his/her best shot when needed.

Take that you ''French snobs''........Arghhhh the times I wanted to have a conversation in France (in English) were those times I wished I had paid more attention in class during French.

Gute abend Herr Mo,

Sehr aufmerksam dass Sie in Hollandisch antwortet.Frohen weinachten auch fur Sie und ich muss in aller ernst sagen das ich personlich Deutsche leute freundlich, nett und gut maniert fand.

Deswegen kaufe ich manchmall instrumenten in Deutschland....gefallt mir viel besser als Holland.

I lebe in Zoetermeer und ich wollte gerne wissen was die code fur umlaut und ringel S sind.

Danke

Take that you ''French snobs''........Arghhhh the times I wanted to have a conversation in France (in English) were those times I wished I had paid more attention in class during French.

Now now, just because we have the best language doesn't mean you have to get all sensitive! ;)

Welcome! :wave:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks:

My name is Paul, and I have been playing piano (classically trained) since a young boy, with some serious hiatuses here and there.

I just realized I joined back in 2006, and then forgot for a while that I was signed up here...boy does time fly...sorry for the late introduction.

I began playing in Blues bands back in 1973 in Massachusetts, and currently teach piano lessons in a music store, and play Blues and Boogie-Woogie in a Blues Band here in sunny (but right now freezing) Florida.

Gear is a Rd700sx, and a Nord Electro 61, old version, with an old but rebuilt upright acoustic at home.

I look forward to being in this community. :wave:

A Boogie-Woogie Video:

Hello everybody,

My name is André and I am from the Netherlands....

I don't use my fingers to prevent the dykes from collapsing.

André

Hi Andre, from a fellow piano-tuner/tech :thu:..... it's nice to see you here.

(there are a few of us knocking about on this forum - B3-er is another... a SUPERB Hammond/keyboard player)

Be careful what you say tho' - stuff like the above could easily be 'jumped upon'..... :D ! ! !

John.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody. My name is Ken and I live in Toronto.

I'm in the process of getting my first music workstation. My friend got me into Korg keyboards and synthesizers.

A lot of musical instrument forums deal with guitars, drums, amps, and effects. So I'm really glad to have found an internet forum like this wholly dedicated to keyboards.

I'll be asking you guys for a lot of insight. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Hey Ken, nice to meet you. :wave:

I'll take this opportunity to tell you that much of anything you might want to hear about has probably been discussed in great deal, so it's always a good idea to search the forums before posing a query of your own. There's a lot of collective wisdom on the boards here!

The best way to do it is to use Google and type in site:forums.musicplayer.com along with your search terms. :thu:

That said, we always value good contributions so if you have something valuable to say, say it!

Welcome to the forum.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

hello! I'm an old piano B3 player drug begrudgingly into the workld of synths, but I'm really only looking for a great set of B3 sounds.

Play in a gigging band and am much more interested in keys as the relate to the gigging musician than the actual synthesis of new and original sound. Besides, I don't understand any of that anyway.

Welcome - while there are many here into synthesis, there are also many who play the basics, piano, organ, various EPs, etc. Dig around, you'll find lots of useful info.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ok, it's my turn. I've been lurking for months, and it's time to take off the cloak, even if only for a few minutes.

My name is Mike, and I live in central NJ. Back in the late 70's/early 80's I played my share of NJ bars, then switched to weddings and parties in the mid 80's. I stopped playing in 1992 due to kids, grad school, wife, job, etc. My younger son (now 15) inspired me to get back into playing a couple of years ago, as he's developed quite a talent on trumpet and french horn. I wanted to play again to show him about jazz, and started to research gear.

In late 2009 I bought a Nord Electro 2-61 since I wanted to practice on a B3 clone and that seemed the best bang for the buck. I became so enamored with the Rhodes sounds that I quickly felt cramped by the small keyboard. Last summer I traded up to an Electro 3-73. I don't play out (and have no real plans to), but needed something to practice against, so I bought Band-In-A-Box for my laptop, as well as a Yamaha PSR-S710. I use both the arranger and the sequencer in the PSR, and also create songs with BIAB using the PSR as the sound module, then copy the SMF to the PSR for stand-alone play. It all sounds fine for what I do through a pair of iKey Audio 8" monitors. The Nord sits on top of an Edirol PC-80 controller keyboard which serves as the lower manual.

In my past life as a musician, I've owned the following gear:

- 1977 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage (loved that thing but the action killed my fingers - what a beast). The E3's MkI Suitcase sounds a lot like my old Stage

- Crumar Performer

- Sequential Pro One

- Roland Juno 60

- Farfisa Fast-4

- Sequential Six-Track

- Oberheim Matrix 6

- DX-7 (who didn't have one back then)

- Ensoniq Piano (can't recall the model number)

- Roland U-20

- Ensoniq SQ-80

Looking back, I now regret selling the Rhodes, Juno, Pro One, Matrix 6 and SQ-80. 20-20 hindsight.

To provide some inspiration, I recently joined a local big band, which is playing mostly standards. I also get together with a guitar player friend to play stuff out of the Real Book and other standards. Just playing has provided a lot of therapy.

I do lack a quality amp for my jazz band (which has a few small gigs coming up in the spring), but I've taken heed to the posts here and plan on getting a QSC K10 in the next month or two.

I was a Keyboard Magazine subscriber back then, but stopped reading when the topics got too weird. I think one of the last issues I got had cyberpunk as the cover topic. Not interesting to this old dog. It seems to me, though, that the content has improved a lot, and the readership seems to be largely my demographic (read: 50-ish is not a bad thing), so I re-upped. Looking forward to being a regular reader again.

I want to say how great it is to read this board, where the conversation is almost always civil, professional and lacking a lot of the fanboy nonsense you see on other boards. I don't have years of gigging or recording experience to share, but I feel that I now can possibly contribute "something" since I've broken the ice, so to speak.

Oh, and the ironic thing is that my son told me he's not interested in jazz. Broke my heart, but I'm still working on him!

Mike

I do lack a quality amp for my jazz band (which has a few small gigs coming up in the spring), but I've taken heed to the posts here and plan on getting a QSC K10 in the next month or two.

You're going to love life a lot more in an instant. Congrats on this purchase. I first joined the forum several years ago when I was also looking for an amp.

my son told me he's not interested in jazz. Broke my heart, but I'm still working on him!

Bummer man. Maybe ease him into it with some great horn based funk, or with some of the chops freaks like Arturo Sandoval, who do amazing things regardless of whether you like jazz or not.

Nice to meet you Mike, and welcome!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Thanks for the welcome Bobby.

Believe it or not, my son is more turned on by the old school stuff, like the old Count Basie and Ellington arrangements. His tastes are eclectic, as he listens to Brahms, Metallica and Sonata Arctica. Talk about a mixed bag!

Although I laid some smears and riffs on him on the Electro and he really dug it. It's time to write some arrangements for organ and trumpet.

Mike

Hey all,

I'm a mid-thirties home studio aficionado from the American Midwest. I'd give my real name, but I work for a conservative company, and I prefer to keep my professional life and my personal life very separate.

Even when I was very young, I was drawn to keyboards. My first recollection of a synthesizer was Rush's "Tom Sawyer" or The Cars' "Just What I Needed". I was a big "Price is Right" fan, but I wouldn't have known then that the opening theme contained a descending monophonic synth line. :) "Flash Gordon" (1980) probably had an impact on me as well (a Queen soundtrack), which still has some great analog synths on it.

When I started playing keys at 12 or 13, I was primarily influenced by Eddie Van Halen. To most he was a guitar god, but he had an interesting approach to incorporating synths (be it 1984 or 5150). Then I discovered progressive rock from the 1970's (initially Yes and later ELP). I took piano lessons, but they weren't traditional classical piano lessons. My teacher taught me theory and improvisation, which led to a study and appreciation for Jazz.

From a technology perspective, I would give Keyboard and Roland Users Group the credit for teaching me the most about MIDI and keyboards. I would read those magazines cover to cover, and spend all of my free time at music shops (and playing of course). My parents weren't very supportive of my music, as they didn't understand Jazz, and having grown up under the shadow of a virtuoso organist (my Aunt), my approach only confused them further.

But I was very fortunate to get a Roland D-20 in my early teens, and later a Korg W/S. It wasn't a great pairing in terms of being able to complete projects, but I still own both instruments, and the W/S serves as my main controller. When the time is right, I'll buy a proper 88-key controller, and maybe a small 49 key controller for leads. The W/S has a very noisy, relatively slow action, and it's getting old.

It was the growth of the DAW that really changed my approach. When I saw VST demo'd in the early 2000's, I was sold... Affordable hard disk recording and in-the-box mixing were no longer a pipe dream, and ever since then I've continued to build my home studio one piece at a time. I did buy an XV-3080 in the early 2000's (I was short on "bread and butter" sounds, and VSTi's at the time weren't filling that void), but it might be my last module purchase.

Right now my main focus is becoming a better songwriter and player. I learned long ago that there is a basic level of equipment you need to complete projects, and the rest gets in the way. I usually rid myself of GAS by knowing that the shine of new gear will quickly fade, and it's rarely a new piece of hardware or software that is missing from a song. It's in the music and in the artists.

I often prefer to record and mix other people's projects, as I have a decent ear for production. But I do write my own music (everything from new-agey instrumental pieces to Jazz-influenced Drum & Bass). I'm having a ball playing again, and I look forward to what the future brings.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks or so, decided to come out of the shadows and post. I've found most of the information I'm interested in by searching and/or waiting for some other newbie to ask.

I've noticed there is at least one hot-headed old timer here that loves to publicly humiliate new comers. Hopefully I'll find my answers when I RTFM and not be subjected to his wrath.

To the rest of you, it's great to be in your company! I've read some very insightful posts from friendly and experienced members.

See you in the threads.

Jake

I've noticed there is at least one hot-headed old timer here that loves to publicly humiliate new comers. Hopefully I'll find my answers when I RTFM and not be subjected to his wrath.

His name is Dave Horne.

....But seriously, welcome to the forum. If you use the search function like you do I think you'll fit in just fine.

• 1 month later...

Hello!!

I thought I'd sign up to a keyboard forum as I'm increasingly getting more and more work as a keyboard/piano player despite me being a drummer of some 20 years!

I started playing drums at the age of 14 but ever since I was about 7 I'd always had a keyboard at hand and over the years have always contributed as a songwriter, to various bands that I've been with, by stabbing out chords (with no real knowledge of what I was doing - just finding things that I thought sounded cool).

I've been a pro and semi-pro drummer all the way through, but back in 2007 I got a bit tired with not having much of an influence over the music that I was playing due to my position in the band so I decided that I'd build up a home studio (I have also learnt a lot about engineering and production as a result of hanging around studios after my drum parts were done), write an 'album' of my own material and put it out there for the fun of it.

To do this I decided I'd need to master a front line instrument - I've always thought guitars were dumb and illogical, and always having had a keyboard around, the natural choice was Piano/Keys.

I got myself a midi controller and set about teaching myself to play 'properly'....scales, chord scales and then figuring out some of my favourite songs, youtube has been a great help, check out Pianojohn113, I learned a lot from his vids - I mainly figure things out by ear though.

Just under a year ago, a venue manager approached me after a gig (drumming) and asked if we could do an acoustic version of the set, I said 'yeah we can do a piano and acoustic guitar set' and he booked us for a mid-week gig.

I set about putting a two hour set together, singing and playing piano on 50% of the set and singing and shaking percussion for the remainder with the guitarist.

We got paid and the manager booked us up for a years worth of gigs - man it makes a big difference when you only have to split the money two ways!!!

I guess my playing level at the moment is kind of 'Phil Collins'....not fantastic but I can probably entertain you with a song......I'd like to be more 'Tony Banks', I'll keep working at it haha.

I've just been invited to play on a tribute gig to 'Dark side of the moon' with a line up of pretty serious local musicians.

Gear: -

-Technics P30 stage piano (borrowed, I'm waiting for a Kurz SP4/8)

-Emu Xboard 61

-Macbook Pro running SampleTank Piano collection2 and Vintage keys 2 (hosted in Reaper).

Influences: -

Phil Collins

Peter Gabriel

Kate Bush

Rick Wright

Peter Robinson

Here's my youtube channel page - http://www.youtube.com/dazzathedrummer74

Looking forward to convos with you!

Dazzathedrummer

Kurzweil SP4-8 | EMU Xboard 61

Logic | Reaper | Ableton Live

I've always thought guitar players were dumb and illogical
Fixed it for ya! ;)

Welcome to the forum!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker here. Seriously long time. Over the past couple of years, this forum has hogged so much of my online time, that I'm afraid I'm going to start dreaming of polyphonic turntables, singing pigs and chainsaws running through Roland KC amps... :wave: .

...I tell myself I hang around here cause I have a lot to gain from the wealth of experience and sheer talent of most of the regulars, but it's more to do with the folks here being a bunch of (more or less) decent people :thu: . And yes, I have gained quite a bit from the discussions this forum.

I play keys and sing in a live context, though I'm very much a beginner w.r.t. Western music. So my musical world is rather different from most of you guys - I come from a musical tradition where the concept of harmony is virtually nonexistent; I've *seen* a grand piano only a handful of times in my life; I've never even seen a B-3, or a Clavinet, or a real analog synth or... you get the idea. Still, what's really nice is that I can relate to a lot of the discussions that go on here - it would seem that our musical worlds are more connected than not.

I mostly use a laptop running VSTs on stage. Oh and I play keys sitting cross-legged on the floor, with a small custom-made stand. And I operate a sustain pedal with my knee :D (I'm not looking for ideas about expression pedals...).

Looking forward to lots of interaction here...

Cheers,

Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith