Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Hello, my name is Chris, I am 20 and I've been playing keyboards since I was about 10 or so. Mainly small things like Yamaha PSR boards back then but now I've gotten into workstations. My first synth was the Alesis QS 6.2 (never had an analog) after that I had the wonderful opportunity to buy a used K2600XS (which I unfortinately had to return due to hidden damage), I had an Alesis Fusion 8HD (which I had to return due to a broken pitch wheel) and now I have an S90ES (which works beautifully.) I record into Cubase using a Lexicon Omega Studio. Also of note (no pun intended) is that I am self taught but am finally starting to work with a teacher.

My main influence right now on the instrument would have to be Jordan Rudess, not just for his keyboard work but also his solo piano improvisations.

Hi All

My name's Allan from Melbourne, Australia. I came to this forum as a result of seeing a post on www.ardour.org, although I have bought the odd copy of Keyboard over the years.

I consider myself to be formerly a jazz/funk keyboard player and for the past 10 years have been primarily writing electronic music and doing live shows. Mostly I play and record under the name of Son of Zev, and am also part of an outfit called L.N.E.E (The Little Nobody Elektronische Ensemble). I primarily play Techno in a style that's kind of a blend of minimal sometimes funky sometimes hard with a definite acid flavour to it all. Saying this I have also written breaks and drum and bass stuff as well and was often a guest with Melbourne Clan Analog groups signal to noise. With LNEE we play everything from ambient breaks to hard stomping tech.

I am both an absolute Linux Geek and use linux for all things music and otherwise, initially to save money while still using legal software and now it's a combination of sheer performance and to use ardour, which I feel is the best, most intuitive DAW software available.... sure it doesn't have MIDI sequencing (yet) but I sync it with MusE via the jackd audio server and it does work with my MIDI controllers. The only things I don't use Linux for are games, an-200 programmer, korg TR-Rack programmer (Sounddiver) and mucking around with the Behringer BCD-2000.

I am also a complete gear junkie. I began with a Roland EP-50 at age 11 and a Yamaha DX-27 at the age of 12.

My current home studio consists of the following;

(keys, synths, controllers and sampler)

Rhodes Mark I stage piano (old and battered but very chunky sounding - my baby).

Roland EP-50 (used as a MIDI controller)

Kawai K1m (hardly used these days)

Yamaha TX-81z

Yamaha AN-200

Behringer BCF-2000

Behringer BCD-2000 (toy purposes really as there are no linux drivers)

Edirol PCR-30

Korg TR-Rack (just bought from ebay haven't used it much yet)

AKAI MPC-2000xl (the heart of the setup)

(mixing, processing and FX)

Soundcraft Spirit SX20

DBX 166 XL dual compressors * 2

Digitech Studio Quad (v3 I think the blue one)

Electrix MOFX

Behringer MDX 4600xl quad compressor

Computer and Interfaces

AMD 3500+ 1 Gb low latency Ram 200GB system drive 160 Gb RAID 0 for recording

OS - Gentoo Linux customised for low latency audio

M-Audio Delta 1010

2 * MOTU Midi Timepiece AV

2 * Neutrik patch bays

M-Audio monitors (BX-8 I think)

Phew!!!

Anyway I'm here more because of the linux side of things and am happy to answer any questions about Linux integration.

Hi ! My name is Rejean, and I'm new at this. I've started keyboard lessons at 41 years of age, 3 months ago,and can't get enough of this. In 3 months I bought first a Roland EXR-5S but didn't like the brass and sax sounds, went back to another store and bought the Korg PA-800, this sounds much much better...

For the past 3 months I've been searching and trying to learn how to play with a midi file, from what I learned with my lessons, I play chords with the left hand and the keyboard does the arrangement, the right hand play the melody. When plyiong with a midi file how does it work, can someone give me a link where I could learn a little about this.

Thank you

A belated hello from me. Been lurking on this forum for a while now, decided it was time to post!

I've been playing piano for almost 25 years now (i could read music before i could read english!) and i've recently started learning organ techniques, which I'm starting to use in my band.

At home I play a Yamaha Disklavier Mark IV grand, for the road I use a Roland RD-150 through a JV synth for my piano, EP and Rhodes sounds and a Korg controller through a Roland VK8M for everything Hammond.

I'm based in the new music capital of the UK - Glasgow, Scotland.

Thanks.

Belated greetings,

I'm Phil. I've been hanging around here for a while off and on. I'm a regular on the Lowdown forum and a semi-professional bassplayer. I work as a school teacher and take a range of music work in the evenings. I live in London but frequently visit LA where I have family.

I play only a little keyboards and only at home to practise or to try out voicings. Sometimes I hold down a chord to practise arpeggios and patterns against on bass. But I love keyboards.

I enjoy listening to great keyboard players and enjoy joining in musical discussions on this forum. There is such a high level of knowledge and experience here.

I'll carry on dropping in from time to time. Cheers!

Hello, my name is Josh.

I am actually a drummer and have been most of my life. I custom built my own drums a while back, but due to living in an apartment I have never really been able to use them. Well that brings me to why I am here... I traded away my drums and a lot of equipment this morning and in the trade I got a Martin Guitar and a GEM SK 880 keyboard in a SKB road case. I do not really know anything about the keyboard and am hoping someone can help me out with more info about it. Is it considered a nice keyboard by your standards?

Also, where would I go to post it up for sale on this forum?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi... again!

I signed up maybe 2-3 years ago and although I occasionally stroll thru for a drive by viewing I haven't participated all that much. Some of the guys that frequent the HC KSS forum will know me as wheresgrant3. My first exposure to synths was in 1979 (at 9 years old) I bought The Cars self-titled and fell in love with 'Moving In Stereo'. I bought my first synth in 1989 a used Korg DW8000. Since then I have owned many boards. Currently I play keys and guitar in a popular cover band Nuts In a Blender (borders on 80's Tribute) and my setup is as follows. Roland XP30, Triton Extreme, Alesis Micron run into a Rolls Line mixer into a ART Stereo DI. I use two Yorkville KW50 wedges to monitor. I also own a Fantom S (w/ SRX-08 Ultimate keys) and a Yamaha EX7, Spectrasonics Atmospheres and Garritan GPO.

That's life in a nutshell!

Hi... again!

I signed up maybe 2-3 years ago and although I occasionally stroll thru for a drive by viewing I haven't participated all that much. Some of the guys that frequent the HC KSS forum will know me as wheresgrant3. My first exposure to synths was in 1979 (at 9 years old) I bought The Cars self-titled and fell in love with 'Moving In Stereo'. I bought my first synth in 1989 a used Korg DW8000. Since then I have owned many boards. Currently I play keys and guitar in a popular cover band Nuts In a Blender (borders on 80's Tribute) and my setup is as follows. Roland XP30, Triton Extreme, Alesis Micron run into a Rolls Line mixer into a ART Stereo DI. I use two Yorkville KW50 wedges to monitor. I also own a Fantom S (w/ SRX-08 Ultimate keys) and a Yamaha EX7, Spectrasonics Atmospheres and Garritan GPO.

That's life in a nutshell!

Welcome, brother Grant! Great to have you around here. This place is a little more chill than HC (in a good way). Some cool folks hang out on this forum. Stick around for awhile! :thu:

Everyone here started early I feel bad :( Well I am 17 old(going to 18 now in may 7)bueno aqui les va,I like metal genre and rock(rock n roll) ,folk, classic too, anyway give me a good song and I will listen; I started from 10-13 (dont remember)little time on music theory and reading and :rawk: guitar class, :cry:I didn't play a poor chord''acorde'' in a guitar :crazy: then I quit, later two or 1 year I discovered the drums, :rimshot: That I play better! until now ,I have let the drums alone (but not going to abandon them) then I started playing keyboards in a Casio(now is useless without 2 keys)oh and I have a piano accordion too jeje I have thought that music maybe be my future but im always worried because i started a late. Im plannig to study music in a consevatory later in piano(I study there but is a preparatory of theory and reading) buy a new keyboard(that essenssial)im going to college plan to enter a choir there dont know and blahblah dont know, a little confused i am :confused::blah: Hi to you all !

Hi,

My name is Andrea and I'm an Italian sound designer.

I produce innovative and usable sample libraries for composer and producer who are into movie and commercial productions.

I love playing Drum, Bass, Keyboard and sing. I enjoy mixing songs and creating melodies.

My passions are: Hi-Fi, instruments, computers.

Andrea

www.pettinhouse.com

Innovative & Usable Sample Libraries For Your Music

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

My name is Ryan and I am completely new to the keys. A bit about myself:

I started playing guitar when I was 12, up until around 22. When my git finally died on me, I never replaced it, as college was taking my time and I just didn't have the money.

As an alternative, I dove right into the audio hobby and have managed to suffer a pretty serious addiction to headphone hi-fi. At the time, I also became interested in sound crafting, and bought myself a modest home "studio" via Reason and a 2 octave midi controller.

Here we are, about five years later and I find myself longing to play again. I miss having a band. I bought a Korg CX-3 about a month ago (with NO previous piano/keys experience) because I wanted to learn a new instrument (another guitar will come another day) and the Hammond is one of my all time favourites.

That's pretty much it! This place looks like it's a fantastic resource and community and I'm glad to be here. I hope to get my playing up to snuff so playing in a straight-ahead heavy blues band will be a viable option in the not-too-distant future.

Oh, incidentally... I HAVE to get myself a Leslie, and fast. Headphones just aren't cutting it, even for practice. Too bad the keyboard broke the bank on it's own.

Gear:

Korg CX-3 manual (clonewheel organ)

Grado RS-1 headphone

AKG K701 headphone

Various other "audio-nut" goodies

"First, there is a mountain..."

Hello,

I'm Steven Sofranko from Ben Lomond, California (near Santa Cruz). I've read Keyboard since I was in high school, and have lurked on this forum for a year and a half; thought I'd finally register.

I've played keys in a number of bands, most of them "jam" and prog bands, heavily inspired by the Grateful Dead, Phish, etc. Also played some country, funk, reggae. Current band is the Matt Hartle Band - Matt and I were also in a band called Shady Groove.

Current rig:

Hammond XB-2 into a Leslie 145 via Trek II preamp.

Nord Stage 88 into Mackie SRM450.

Past boards:

Hammond B3 chop

Hammond Porta B

Roland FP-8

Fender Rhodes

Farfisa organ

I've gigged and recorded a bit with borrowed vintage Mellotron and MiniMoog.

I'm pleased to meet you all,

Steve

Hi Folks,

I am new to this whole thing, and very excited to have found it!

I have never been professionally taught, and have been playing keys since I was just a little tike. I play in a Rock/Funk/Reggae/Ska (Jam Band) in MD, called Limbic Roots & LOVE IT! This is my first real band experience and I just can't get enough of it.

I have been composing my own music for the last 20 years or so and I still need to take some kind of lessons, even if it's just basic theory. I actually found this site because I was looking for a Roland VK8M so hopefully its not against the rules to throw that into my intro?

Gear:

Yamaha S90ES

Korg MS2000B

Roland KC550

More to come!

38 yrs old., been paying since 9. I'm not a professional musician, I work for a very large and 80+yr old technology company as a network security geek.

First synth was a Poly-800 way back when, but I never really learned MIDI. So, at times I will probably ask stupid MIDI questions. Mostly played piano and a B3 at church. Returning to music in earnest and looking to catch up to technology.

Gear:

Motif ES8

XK-3

E-Mu XBoard61

DSI Desktop Evolver (on its way)

KC550

my name's grady. i'm from arlington, tx. i'm 22 years old. i can't play any instruments, but i LOVE music, and have dedicated my life to helping musicians develop their business (most musicians aren't real good businessmen). i have seen too many incredible bands playing in front of empty clubs. that's why i'm doing everything i can to help. although i eventually plan to have my own label, i'm not ready for that yet. for now, i am learning all i can about the industry, and helping others do the same. to that end, i have decided to pick out the books that have taught me a lot and put them up for sale on my site. i was able to find a wholesaler to get me copies of All You Need To Know About The Music Business, and it is great! I have it on sale for store price on my site. please check it out... and SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC!

HI everyone! I am Jeremy. 30 yrs young.

New to all this music forums stuff, but really getting into it.

I do 3D computer work professionally, but will eventually change careers back to something music related.

Originally from Malaysia, but moved around a bit and now based here in San Francisco. Been a serious music performance hobbyist for a long time now...been playing piano for about 23 years and developed my style from inspirations from Dave Grusin, Harry COnnick Jr., James Booker, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jim Chappell to Bill Evans and all sorts of Jazz/Latin/Blues Funk and Film Scoring genres. I play other instruments too, but keys are my thing...but eventually learning the cello would be awesome!

Eventually i'd love to work on voice overs in cartoons as well!

But for now, 3D pays for my instruments. Nice to meet you all.

GEAR:

ENSONIQ ZR-76 workstation (Currently trying to sell this on craigslist...anyone here interested? Email me at jersiew99@hotmail.com)

Roland FP-7 (soon to own one)

Ibanez AEL20 Acoustic Electric

Yamaha CGX171CCA Acoustic Electric Classical

Yamaha SLG100N Silent Guitar

Hand-Made Brazilian Cavaquinho

Hohner Melodica

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm James, 17 years old. I started (classical) piano when I was 4 or 5, and I've started playing what i like rather than pieces i like or my piano teacher suggests.. It never really occured to me to widen my horizons and actually write music, but now i've started I can't exactly stop! My influences have extended all over the place recently, i never even listened to keyboard music in the popular modern sense, so i'm starting to play jazzy rock everything now.

My keyboard is a modest Korg X5D! I have a piano but that's not exactly the same in the synth sense. It's fine for what i do at the moment, it's sort of ok for playing it's own synthesis stuff live. Not terrible. I'll probably be upgrading eventually

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and thanks for the opportunity to share.

http://www.webpageexperience.com/mpg/flying.gif

I'm doing the opposite from many, going from soul, salsa, funk, soca and so on, to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart - don't forget Liszt and Chopin! ;)

http://webpageexperience.com/mid/PlayMidiClassical.htm

You can still check out my old persona, playing "Freeboards" here:

Http://www.Givnology.com/compose.htm#channels

love peace and chicken grease,

Teo

;)

5 Music Books: http://givnology.ca

I'm Denny Wieand, and nowadays this is just a (Serious) hobby for the most part, although I can be caught playing live in a few settings here and there.

My musical influences are mainly jazz based with a lot of funk, reggae and blues thrown in. I guess my main instrument would be either trumpet or hammond, but I mess with a lot of other toys also.

My keyboards seem to be growing, but more toward the vintage end these days. My last purchases were a Korg Lambda which I immediately traded for a roland RS-09 and a Yamaha SK-30 so I'm definitely heading backwards on the time line.

Looking forward to exploring here a bit

Hi, I'm Andrea, 38 years old (yeah... tempus fugit), I live in a town that borders with Turin, Italy (2006 Winter Olympics site :-)), I'm married with my long-time girlfriend and have two children.

I started studying piano when I was 7, and since then I always loved classical music. By now my horizons are a bit wider :-) since I started to appreciate other kinds of music, and I'am able, even if I do it for myself, to play some kinds of straight flutes, a little guitar and some bass.

My former piano (a very very nice Petrof, the best upright piano I ever tried, for keyboard and sound) stays at my parent's home :-( so I'm now trying to buy a digital piano (no room to put, no day-time to use and no money to buy an acoustic one).

I played organ in my parish church for about 21 years and I really liked it, but my time was over and finally someone else took the seat.

Even if in these last years I had to stop playing, music is at the top of my needs and desires; hopefully, my daughter will begin to study music on next school year, so I will help her (it's not so painful, I admit :-)).

Bye and thanks for this great forum.

Andrea

Confession: I came here looking to resolve my equipment questions and posted away like a crazed poltergeist without ever introducing myself. Then I was glad to see an old friend, Linwood, was on here. And now that my gear questions are all answered, I'm still here.

So hi, I'm Steve, pianist/keyboardist. I've played all kinds of music but focused more on improvisational music (types of jazz I suppose) for most of the years. I won't list the gear I've bought in my life since it might tax the bandwidth.

I play, write and record, like many of you. I've done jazz festivals, college clinics, clubs, road stuff, you name it, as both sideman and leader. I perform regularly today with my trio/quartet, and others, and finishing up a new CD.

Sorry for the belated introduction. But thanks for providing the forum and to the friendly, well informed members who've helped me with my gear questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody

I am new here and my name is Leo Bereths. I play piano since I was eigfht years of age. I had a Wersi organ in between, of course the ole Farfisa and now play a Motif ES. I too have a small Studio with the Aw16G and a preamp for the mics. Just bought myself a mixer.

I am 57 now and still very much interested in what is going on in the music world. So, nobody call me the " old guy "

Nice to meet yo all.

Leo

My name is Spanky and I've been playing keys in bands since about '64. I started with a green wurlitzer electric piano, moved to a Vox Continental and have had too many keys to count since. At my age I'm playing mostly blues, R&B, and funk in local bars ( I just can't stomach country music, the only other old guy option) around Southern Indiana where I am an ex-pat from Louisiana and Texas. Right now I'm taking out a yamaha P80, which I like save for the poor EP sounds, and an old ROland V-7 Organ, which I adore. No Leslie to tote!

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on the third keyboard to add to this rig. I want something that I can access via midi for a variety of good electric piano sounds as well as something to play directly for strong horn patches/punches for blues and R&B tunes. I've looked at the new Yamaha MM6, which for size and money has promise.

Thanks

Spanky

• 2 weeks later...

New poster, 8-7-07. I was googling around, looking for reviews of a keyboard (Yamaha CP33). I just bought, and then RETURNED the Roland RD300SX, and so I was looking for some real players' opinions on the CP33 before I ordered it.

Grew up in a musical family, played in high school bands. 14 years after high school, a coworker at the office tells me he's in a band, need a kayboard player. They had a Fender Rhodes suitcase model and no one to play it. Long story short, 20 years later I'm still at it.

All covers, weddings, festivals, private, corporates, and some bar work. part time gig for all of us.

Unusual statistic: same four guys have been in the band for 20 years! This is great as it cuts down on the need to practice.

For 19 years I used a Roland RD300s. 8 voices, on board chorus (that button broke about 5 years ago), no verb, no variations, weighed about 70 pounds, but I loved it the way a guitar player loves an old Gretsch guitar. It's been repaired several times and it's just not gonna make it through another month of playing.

So I went to the RD 300sx and it disappointed GREATly. Hoping the CP33 will do the trick.

Looking forward to getting rid of my Boss Chorus pedal and my digitech reverb unit - two steps I can take out of setting up and breaking down.

I also play LHB but I use a $250 Yammy keyboard on upper tier for that. What is it about bass players? Had one for 9 years, then another for 8 years, then we tried 2 or 3 guys on trial basis and it just didn't work out. Band gets along better without a fifth guy to worry about.

So that's about it. I'll be playing my CP33 through a Samson powered mixer (solely for the keys) and my current speaker cabs are Carvin 1584s (3-way), or sometimes Carvin 2-ways for smaller rooms. Have never seen a keyboard amp worth buying.

Hit me with your best shot, fellas (and ladies)!