Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Originally posted by istyle@hotmail.com:

roland you're the electro-master!!!

i also do electronic music at my freetime

but my production was poorer than yours

maybe you can give some advices for my work?

thnx

istyle

www.mp3.com/istyle

Thanks iStyle, I listened to your stuff. I liked Julia Robot and Jugular-Wickedbeat the best. What are you mastering with?

Roland

Ah, the download finally finished! Very intricate tune, Scott. I love the drum programming. That must have taken some TIME! What did you use for programming and the samples? Was it a drum machine or a sampler and a sequencer? I also like the bass sound - nice growl! The marimba adds a nice propulsion to the arrangement and it syncs up perfectly with the drums.

The horns sound very synthy, which is fine if that's the soudn that you were shooting for. Occasionally, they didn't seem to sustain long enough, but that's a taste issue. Functionally, they work great. The whole thing is nicely recorded. I'm curious to know what reverb you used. It sounds very clean throughout. Nice work!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Ah, the download finally finished! Very intricate tune, Scott. I love the drum programming. That must have taken some TIME! What did you use for programming and the samples? Was it a drum machine or a sampler and a sequencer? I also like the bass sound - nice growl! The marimba adds a nice propulsion to the arrangement and it syncs up perfectly with the drums.

The horns sound very synthy, which is fine if that's the soudn that you were shooting for. Occasionally, they didn't seem to sustain long enough, but that's a taste issue. Functionally, they work great. The whole thing is nicely recorded. I'm curious to know what reverb you used. It sounds very clean throughout. Nice work!

Dan, first of all thanks for everything (I think you know what I mean...),

And regarding this tune...

I actually was sort of going for that sort of analog "synthy" sounding horn patch, ala Russ Ferrante...

It took about 8 hours from a totally blank slate to completion...and was one of about 50 like it, that I wrote at the time...

This is a piece I wrote in 1995, I sequenced everything as I wrote it, in Passport's Encore, by playing onto the on-screen staves, all on a Roland JV-30, supplemented with a

D-550, using a Korg DRV-3000 reverb, on a MAC Classic II...

It was a dinosaur rig at the time, but I made it work as much as possible, given it's limitations...

I now have an iMAC, Protools, Digital Performer, and a KARMA...as my whole approach to writing has changed anyway...

Thanks again for your feedback...

I will listen to some stuff in here this week, when I have more time...

Again, I appreciate your honesty in my other thread...

Peace,

Scott

Dan, "Night Drive Through Vegas" was very cool, what are you getting your "guitar" sounds from?

Very nice layering and it had a great build to it...

"Rain Dance" had some great textures and a really hip drum loop...you have a really good grip on building a tune, layer by layer...without getting overdone...

The synth solo patch reminded me of Tony Banks' old analog patches with a bit of Keith Emerson, and though that's obviously not the vibe of the tune, those sounds are really great in the newer musical contexts...

Overall, what are you using? Synth Modules, loop software, recording gear, etc...

By the way, is that your photography? Great stuff? Excellent composition...it's also a hobby of mine...

Peace,

Scott Jones

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Sjonesmusic ]

Dan - nightdrive is very good,vision of american cross-continet drive evokes clearly

and the guitar is very real? or a sample?

Roland-those mp3 of mine weren't mastered,i just mixed from cakewalk out

i wish i was skillful then as now so i don't have to goback to remix them!!!

BTW i had posted another mp3 called " strings of pearls "

here

http://www.geocities.com/kamstyle/tear2reason.mp3

please listen and advise me what you like it to be improve

i'm not sure i compressed vocal too much or not

thnx

Scott, you're most welcome, and welcome aboard!!! :)

Thanks for the compliments on the music and the photos; I'm amazed that anyone can actually SEE those little tiny things. ;)

Wow! You did that piece in only eight hours! That would have taken me weeks!

The "lead" guitar on Night Drive was a stock Triton patch. No mods whatsoever. Unfortunately, as I EQ'd the mix to cut out come midrange, I ended up making the guitar sound thinner than it did originally. I was working under a deadline, so I didn't have time to go back and fix it. I had originally prototyped this piece (years ago) using the "ZZ Lead" patch on a Wavestation. I dusted off the Wavestation recently but decided that the Triton sounded a lot better. The guitar mutes are from the Triton and a JV-1080 (one track each).

Thanks for your comments on the drums on Rain Dance. It's not a loop, it's all programmed in MIDI. Drums were (again) from the Triton except for the toms and crash cymbals at the very end, which were played on a K2500R loaded with sounds from Sweetwater's Total Stereo Session Drums. I think I used the Funk Kit, but I'm not completely sure. That's one of the best sample CD's that I've ever owned, and one of the few that's not collecting dust up here.

Thanks again for your feedback. I look forward to checking out more of your tunes. I'm not set up for streaming, so I'll have to rely on your MP3's. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Roland,

I downloaded your Interpolation and Hydrator and I think I got your style... It's cool! Terrific sounds are jumping again from the speakers right now... (it's Hydrator).

Wow! Nothing to critique, really. Just wonder, why didn't you compose some kind of themes on top of them? ;) It seems like these pieces would be fantastic backing tracks for some nice melodic things going on.. :cool:

Vladislav

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Gulliver ]

I am back.

Scott,

Your MP3 is also downloaded... I must say - it's a great piece of very cool progressive fusion! Good jamming all around and your drum programming skills are jaw-droppingly awesome. BTW, the style of that "virtual drummer" reminds me more of prog-metal than fusion (I close my eyes and ... it's like "digital Mike Portnoy" is playing!). How about adding some real guitar to this? (I think "virtual Allan Holdsworth" would fit the bill as well) ;)

Vladislav

I am back.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Scott,

Your MP3 is also downloaded... I must say - it's a great piece of very cool progressive fusion! Good jamming all around and your drum programming skills are jaw-droppingly awesome. BTW, the style of that "virtual drummer" reminds me more of prog-metal than fusion (I close my eyes and ... it's like "digital Mike Portnoy" is playing!). How about adding some real guitar to this? (I think "virtual Allan Holdsworth" would fit the bill as well) ;)

Vladislav

Thanks bro!

And guess what?

You're timing couldn't be better...

I JUST added my guitar playing to 7 of about 30 of these compositions, this week!

So here's a list of MP3's of my fusion tunes with my new guitar parts and solos...

Ok,

Here are the links to each fusion tune:

MP3-All in high quality MP3 files, download time will vary...

Again, I composed and sequenced these back in 1993-1995, but added the guitar parts and solos this past week...

Muldar\'s Search

Every Time

Eek! A Mouse!

Beast of Burton

One

From Nothing

Think About It

STREAMING-these are done in "sure stream", so the quality and rate will vary automatically according to your connection speed...

Fusion index Page -It's obvious which are the new ones with guitar...

Anyway, enjoy...and thanks for listening!

Peace,

Scott

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Sjonesmusic ]

Hiya,

I know I'm late with comments and stuff about OPM (other people's music) but it's better late than never. For those that I didn't send comments to at your site, I will include it here (of the sites I've been to). I know I didn't listen to 'em all because of my 56k dial-up modem but you know I love y'all... :D

Jonathan Hughes: I really love the Down Tempo song called "Lumi". I like anything that's Down Tempo, Electronica, Ambient, Trance (I like alot of styles really-hehee) so your song is very high on my "Will Download" list. ;)

iStyle: Love Julia Roberts (I mean--Julia Robot). Do you have your personal site up yet?? I wanna hear Julia greet me when entering... :P

Magpel: I like "Stink Monkey". Very humorous indeed!

Jeff, the Tascam Guy: What? Just one song posted?? I've got you beat by one (so far)! Anyways, cool voice dude--very laidback-- and great guitar playing man!!

XFactor (Jeremey): Cool groovin' on "Holding On to You"!! Love your voice. Reminds me of (ummm...what's his name??) Aargh!!! Brain-fart, brain-fart. I can't think of his name!! :mad: Oh bummer, great tune though.

GusTraX: I can see myself on the dance floor gettin' hyped off of "Esa Noche"! Great dance track!!

That's all the sites I've been to so far but I will visit more and post comments. Don't forget to check my songs out at: www.ampcast.com/ktempo and let me know what you guys/gals think. :o

Kim

Roland,

I downloaded your Interpolation and Hydrator and I think I got your style... It's cool! Terrific sounds are jumping again from the speakers right now... (it's Hydrator).

Wow! Nothing to critique, really. Just wonder, why didn't you compose some kind of themes on top of them? ;) It seems like these pieces would be fantastic backing tracks for some nice melodic things going on.. :cool:

Vladislav

Hey Vlad,

Thanks!! Great idea! Actually, I did. :) These are just backing tracks and have vocal melodies/lyrics that go with them. I just haven't had a chance to track them yet. I am not blessed with the voice to sing the melodies I write, but I have found a vocalist that can do it, and I'm redoing my studio now, so hopefully, I can add what you saw was missing here in the next few months!

Thanks again for the comments and for listening! :)

thnx kim

i'm sorry i promised lot of things that i can't deliver for now

due to bad economy even my dayjob now hardly earns me comfortable status

I went to your site,trying to dl both mp3

but they never worked i guess maybe it's busy

will do again

maybe next week my new mp3 will be posted at mp3.com

cheers

istyle

hey everybody... notsure if anyone here is into industrial rock? but have a listen if you do. would love to hear any comments. if you like what you hear we'll have two songs on the upcoming notes from thee Real underground comp on invisible records.

Contaminated Lullabyes,

William Rubin

www.mp3.com/thehexxx

Scott,

I checked out a couple of your tunes with the freshly added guitar. What can I say... Awesome! Did you play all those guitar parts yourself? Anyway, great work.

BTW, your style reminded me of Jens Johansson's recording "Fission"... Are you familiar with this one? I mean your musicianship stands on pair with it easily. Bravo! :cool:

Vladislav

I am back.

Scott,

I checked out a couple of your tunes with the freshly added guitar. What can I say... Awesome! Did you play all those guitar parts yourself? Anyway, great work.

BTW, your style reminded me of Jens Johansson's recording "Fission"... Are you familiar with this one? I mean your musicianship stands on pair with it easily. Bravo! :cool:

Vladislav

Vladislav,

Thanks so much for your very gracious words...

Yes those parts were all me on guitar...

While I'm familiar with Jens Johansson, I haven't heard the "Fission" recording to which you referred...none-the-less, a flattering comparison, indeed...

Here are a few more that I just completed this past week..

S\'Corea -MP3 DOWNLOAD

S\'Corea -STREAMING

Three Steps From the Sun -MP3 DOWNLOAD

Three Steps From the Sun -STREAMING

Give It Time -MP3 DOWNLOAD

Give It Time -STREAMING

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them...I'd love to hear from you...

Peace,

Scott

You can hear more here:

Fusion page-STREAMING

MP3 page, scroll to bottom for fusion

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Sjonesmusic ]

Hey Scott,

I've visited your site and learned more about you! ;) Ok, you are a drummer as well... Now I see where from all those killer midi drum tracks come. But wait a minute... you are not a keyboard player?? :eek: (Well, in this case I am a trombone player! :D ). Scott, your sequencing chops are ... outstanding. I could never reach such results playing stuff as you do using just a notation software. Keep up the good work!

Vlad

* And yeah, I certainly have read about you in the Discoveries column few years ago! :)

I am back.

Hey Scott,

I've visited your site and learned more about you! ;) Ok, you are a drummer as well... Now I see where from all those killer midi drum tracks come. But wait a minute... you are not a keyboard player?? :eek: (Well, in this case I am a trombone player! :D ). Scott, your sequencing chops are ... outstanding. I could never reach such results playing stuff as you do using just a notation software. Keep up the good work!

Vlad

* And yeah, I certainly have read about you in the Discoveries column few years ago! :)

Vlad,

Wow...I can't believe you actually remembered the "Discoveries" column...!

No, I'm not a keyboard player, but I was totally upfront with Titus Levi when he interviewed me, and he just felt it didn't matter, as the sequencing and composition aspects were what caught his attention...

I do play enough though, to know how to voice and lay fingerings out logically, so I guess it comes across in the sequencing...

Though as you noticed, I am a drummer, still play professionally, in addition to the guitar playing...and that helped me tremendously when considering the parts fo the tunes...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to visit my site...

Peace,

Scott

Hey Kim!

I finally had a chance to check out your MP3's. Very nice, relaxed stuff. I envision you as a very stress-free person. ;)

My favorite was Sista Breeze. I was wondering if you'd ever considered doing a mix of this song with a real drummer or with some nice acoustic drum loops. The electronic drums are nice, but I think that real drums would make this piece totally kick ass. I could imagine hearing it on one of those cool jazz stations.

What program are you using for your sequencing?

Thanks Dan!! My mom loves Sista Breeze too. It's one of my better songs I've done so far! The sequencing program that I'm using is Cakewalk Home Studio 2002. I'll edit it (for the one thousandth time--LOL) and change the drums to an acoustic kit or acoustic drum loop because I don't know any drummers.

Thanks again Dan!

Kim :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i guess for my hundreth post i may as well throw my hat into the ring:

The Gin Devils

though, i have to say we recorded 9 tracks in 13 hours, and they were mixed in a further 30 hours so there are quite a number of little mistakes especially in timing.

anyway,tell me what you think

thanks

-starfucker

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

• 2 weeks later...

Starfucker,

I listened to Studio Blues. Really cool jam...love the organ. That jam is old school man...I felt like I was listening to Steppenwolf and Uriah Heap fused together through some cosmic event. :D

I'll check out the rest of the page before the end of the week.

I just uploaded a long excerpt from our new Live CD that's coming soon if you want to check it out.

"Excerpt from JamFree Live - with Ralph Rivers"

http://www.artistlaunch.com/jamfree

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

I just uploaded a long excerpt from our new Live CD that's coming soon if you want to check it out.

is there any way to get a downloadable mp3? im behind a firewall and cant listen to mp3 streams.

-starfucker

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

IanD: I love Happy Ending!! Wow!! I'm here at work jammin' to your cool cut. People are looking at me funny!! LOL! I'm listening to it through headphones though--no speakers. Love the DX Piano and the cool rhythm track. :)

Starfucker: I really like Studio Blues. Nice guitar playing man! Are you the one singing lead? If so, very cool voice man! Love the organ playing too. Darn it, I love everything about it! :)

Dang, y'all both are slammin'!

Kim :cool: