Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Well, I've been kicking around here for over a year now, so I guess I ought to share some of my playing. I'm actually interested in hearing what you all think. I know this is not "typical" fare for this place, nor am I the most accomplished amongst forumites, but maybe you all will enjoy these.

These are four tracks from the CD I did in the spring of 2005 with a group I had at the time. Our singer was French, and we did classic and contemporary French jazz and music hall tunes. We did the CD pretty quickly (in two evenings after work), so it's still a little rough around the edges, but our engineer gave us a great sound, I think.

Because these are all in French, I'll give a little info about what each song is "about," as it was told to me (I don't speak French).

Les Parapluies De Cherbourg by Michel Legrand

A song that has been translated into English under the title "I Will Wait For You" (and in this recording we give the final verse in English), which is basically about two lovers separating when the man is drafted to war.

Une Petite Fille by Claude Nougaro

A fun song; the guy singing had come home drunk and late to his girlfriend's, and so she ran out the door on her own on a dark rainy night in Paris. The guy is running after her down the city streets.

[EDITED TO ADD]

Beaucoup De Vent by Claude Nougaro

A really nice 5/4 piece about the wind on the hills. The drums and bass on this one are really nice, in my opinion.

[/EDITED TO ADD]

Mademoiselle Maman by Claude Nougaro

This song is sung from the perspective of the singer, who imagines himself inside his mother when she meets his father, and so gets to observe his tender and loving courtship of her.

Ne Me Quitte Pas by Jacques Brel

This is the most tragic song I've ever heard. There was an English "version" of this song that pretty much re-wrote the song called "If You Go," but this is really "Don't Leave Me." The singer is begging his love, who is already out the door never to return, to stay. I'm actually going to give you the lyrics as translated by my singer:

Don't leave me, you must forget, all can be forgotten

As already gone, forget the misunderstandings

And the wasted time, how to forget these hours

That killed with stabs of Why the heart of happiness

Don't leave me, don't leave me, don't leave me

I'll offer you pearls of rain coming from countries where

It doesn't rain. I 'll dig in the earth, beyond my death

To cover your body with gold and light. I'll make a

Kingdom where Love is law, where Love is king

Where you'll be queen

Don't leave me, I'll invent you nonsense words

That you'll understand. I'll tell you the story of lovers

Who have seen their hearts burning twice

I'll tell you the story of that king, who died because

He couldn't meet you. But,

We've often seen erupting the fire of the ancient volcano

We believed to be too old

There are, I was told, burnt fields that produce more corn

Than the best April

And at dusk, for a flamboyant sky, doesn't red

Blend perfectly with black?

Don't leave me, I'll stop crying, I'll stop talking

I'll hide here and watch you dancing, and smiling, and listen

To you singing and laughing. Let me become the shadow of your

Shadow, the shadow of your hand, the shadow of your dog, but

BluMunk,

I always had a faible for chansons, so I very much enjoyed the recordings presented above. It's a nice mix of jazz and chansons... I also liked to hear a male jazz singer, there are definitively not enough of them. AND it's cool someone has enough courage to sing in french! Some parts in the arrangements brought a smile to my face - very well done.

IMHO, the bass sounds sometimes a bit too 'punchy', but don't get me wrong, I like what it plays but not always its sound (especially on the Parapluie Song). To my ears, the piano sound was pretty realistic. What keyboard do you use?

Bonjour, mademoiselle, je suis une baguette. ;-)

The Dromb Bopper

hi Gulliver. its an Croatian adaptation of text by David Ives, there's more info/links about the play here, under "music for theatre", and in the news section.

insects was done with tube-driven xox sequence on SH101, tube-driven 606, choir on emu and the ringmodulated insect conversation "lead" is Andromeda.

babylon is kontakt choir, timp and percussion and solina for hi string line. jd990 ambient chord.

thanks for listening. ;)

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

I am still looking for feedback on the stuff I posted, so give it a listen when you have time. www.myspace.com/joelisaterriblepianoplayer

or

www.myspace.com/ineedfunk ----this one is the sax players, and has two of the same tracks, and two new ones, one using organ.

thanks for your time

-J

BluMunk,

I always had a faible for chansons, so I very much enjoyed the recordings presented above. It's a nice mix of jazz and chansons... I also liked to hear a male jazz singer, there are definitively not enough of them. AND it's cool someone has enough courage to sing in french! Some parts in the arrangements brought a smile to my face - very well done.

IMHO, the bass sounds sometimes a bit too 'punchy', but don't get me wrong, I like what it plays but not always its sound (especially on the Parapluie Song). To my ears, the piano sound was pretty realistic. What keyboard do you use?

Bonjour, mademoiselle, je suis une baguette. ;-)

Thanks! I actually didn't know any of this music until I got together with the singer (who is actually from France).

I honestly don't remember which keyboard; I was gigging with my QS7.1, but I used a board they had in the studio (with weighted action), and I think he had it hooked to a kurzweil module of some sort, though I may be remembering poorly. I was not very "gear conscious" at the time.

check out this cool mash-up i did

Whoa!! Pretty awesome video/audio mashup. What a great job you did. Really cool, loved it!

These are four tracks from the CD I did in the spring of 2005 with a group I had at the time. Our singer was French, and we did classic and contemporary French jazz and music hall tunes. We did the CD pretty quickly (in two evenings after work), so it's still a little rough around the edges, but our engineer gave us a great sound, I think.

Great! I like things rough around the edges, so, this actually sounds pretty clean to me. :) Music has nice playing and a nice vibe to it. If it had a super-slick superlative studio sound, I think the mood would be diminished. You know, the closeness to the performance. Or something. I might even distort it up a bit, record it on cassette on a deck that hasn't had it's heads cleaned in 20 years. Eh, it's fine the way it is. :)

here's a few short clips from score i've done for a theater play back in september:

Cool clips! I'd imagine I'd need to see them in context to the play to get the full effect, but they're very nice bits of music. They sound suitable as a soundtrack, but also stand on their own very well! "Babylon Tower" and "priestess" remind me a bit of the music from the Panzer Dragoon series of video games (on Sega Saturn, one game on XBox) which is cool, cause I love that music. Awesome!

Hey, Hypnotuba, I listened to Prefixes and Springing... Pretty nice and humorous stuff!

What's so funny about it?!?!!? hahaha :) Thanks for taking the time to listen, and I'm glad it provided at least a bit of humor!

Awful music for nice people: www.myspace.com/hypnotuba

Terrible store for others: www.cafepress.com/hypnotuba

Hi all! Wild stuff here, eh?

This is an older piece that I jazzed up recently (hence the "groove mix" designation). It's called "Exchequer Prague" and it's sort of Progressive Electronica with some jazz piano. Whatever genre THAT would put it in. Enjoy! Comments appreciated!

http://mysite.verizon.net/ellsounds/aethellis/exchequer.html

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Hi all! Wild stuff here, eh?

This is an older piece that I jazzed up recently (hence the "groove mix" designation). It's called "Exchequer Prague" and it's sort of Progressive Electronica with some jazz piano. Whatever genre THAT would put it in. Enjoy! Comments appreciated!

http://mysite.verizon.net/ellsounds/aethellis/exchequer.html

Dude!

This drums sound awesome! Real or fake? And if fake, what library/sampler/synthesizer/whatsoever?

The Dromb Bopper

Hi Leber, thanks!

I'm not at my main music computer right now so I'd have to check to be sure but I think some of the loops were from Silicon Beats along with me playing drum samples (the Leah kit from Sonik Synth 2) on the keyboard.

There's also a lot of weird drum sounds mixed in (UFO kit from the Alesis QS8.1) played on the keyboard for those Q/squirty sounds.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Hello, this is my latest song called "False Flag Show"- entirely recorded with Linux software (Ardour, Audacity, Qsampler, Hydrogen etc.). Very 70's rock influenced. All played and sang by myself.

http://www.emvg.net/esa/falseflagshow.mp3

http://www.myspace.com/esalinna

http://www.last.fm/music/Esa+Linna/2007

More songs at: http://www.emvg.net/esa

plus http://www.emvg.net/esa/marshall.mp3

Ok - here is something different from me. I've sort of been kicking around some ideas, normally Aaron does the writing. Introducing Elf Boy is a little melody that has been floating around in my head for a while now, it's sort of a "sound track" to a recurring dream I have. I've got this idea, and 3 other pieces that go with it. My intention is to put a bit of each on our cds as we release them, and hopefully someday put them all on a single cd. The piano, strings, flute and chimes are all off my my rd700sx. http://www.myspace.com/pianoforum

This is a band (The Help Online) that I recorded some tracks for their first album. The song Three Minutes Till Midnight was number 1 on this indi-music site about two weeks ago.

http://www.indie-music.com/bands/chart.php?order=1&pagenum=1&pagebreak=20&genre=Blues&header_template=logo_headerBLUES.tpl&row_template=chart_1_row.tpl&footer_template=logo_footer.tpl

If you look and it's no longer on the chart here is their site

http://www.thehelponline.com/

Go to Songs and there are several off the new CD. I only participated in 4 songs but this is all original music and worth listening to.

Thanks

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Okay, comp people, remember when I said I had a funeral song for our Departures comp that I had written, and then later wound up changing it to a collab tune using lyrics from a friend of mine?

Well, maybe you don't. It's in the KC Comp 12 thread somewhere. Anyhow, sadly, I came up with a reason to record the funeral song: a friend's 17 y/o daughter died of a drug overdose last week. Mom is a member over at recordingproject.com, so another RP friend and I recorded this for her.

Of interest to keyboardists: piano was recorded live with my new Zoom H-4, just placed on a chair in a practice room at my college, with a small Yamaha grand. If I had it to do over, I'd probably have lifted the cover a bit - slightly muffled sound - but I'm still real pleased with how it came out.

Song lyrics are posted in the linked thread - don't worry, you don't have to join RP to listen. And a chart is available for you church musos who think you might need it (this is the kind of song that I wish I never "needed" to use). Just send me a pm with your email addy, I'll send a pdf.

The church-musically astute among you may notice that the quote at the beginning and end from C.H. Gabriel's "His Eye Is On the Sparrow" - this song was an attempt to look at questions that song didn't quite answer for me. YMMV, of course...

http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=29116

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Hey Daf, I just downloaded your pdf. I like it a lot. You gave the soloist the backbone she sorely needed (my opinion of course), (man, she makes me queasy!), (!), Thank you for yet another fine, fine composition. Excellent lyrics, also.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER