Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ALRIGHT, YOU FAT MAGGOTS!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Originally posted by Darklava:

good luck on your diets,

and hopefully one day you'll be able to see Mr happy again. :thu:

I could weigh 600 lbs and still see Mr. Happy. HAHAHAHAhAHA!!!
:eek: Thats why the ladies love BIIIIIG TED
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Not seeing "Mr. Happy" isn't the problem. It's not seeing my abs that bothers me.

Point of note: for those of you lucky enough to get consistent snowfall, this could be you oppotunity. If done with the proper carre and control, shovelling snow can be a great exercise. I've been shovelling for a half-hour almost everyday this week, and I'm already feeling better.

I remember a couple of Winters ago (2000-2001) where the city had a record total snowfall (684 cm for those interested). It seemed like I was shovelling twice a day sometimes. By the time the snow finally melted away in the Spring, I was built like a brick shithouse and I felt great.

It's something to consider, at least. Of course, don't go at it full throttle, or anything stupid like that - that's just a recipe for cardiac arrest.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by aeon:

I have lost 20 lbs. since Thanksgiving...and that is with only diet changes.

I got on the scale on 1/1 and weighed 230. I've never weighed 230. :eek:

I went nuts. No breakfast ( I was never a breakfast guy anyway), nutrition bars only for lunch, well balanced, low fat smaller portion dinners. No snacking. Gym every day (except the weekends).

As of this morning, I'm down to 212. 18 lbs in 11 days. Not bad... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Nice Dave!

Although, if I didn't eat breakfast, I'd be feral by 10 AM....

And I'l confess to snacking as I type this. (the sooner I get rid of the Christmas treats, the better :D:D )

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

Nice Dave!

Although, if I didn't eat breakfast, I'd be feral by 10 AM....

And I'l confess to snacking as I type this. (the sooner I get rid of the Christmas treats, the better :D:D )

Cheers!

Spencer

What exactly are you snacking on????

May I recommend citrus fruit, dates, dried figs and raisins.

Also, I don't recommend skipping breakfast. Like you said, you would be feral - and more likely to overeat when you do get food.

5-6 smaller meals per day is a solid method. You never get the "hungry horrors" and grab something fast and stupid (hello, Mr. Milky Way...)

By the way, here are some links for all y'all:

Basic common sense outline of weight loss

Calculators : Body Mass, Base Metabolic Rate, etc.

Calorie Counter (Excel Spreadsheet) : Calorie listings for real food in real portions (so you don't have to count calories based on the packaged food) Ever wonder how many calories that banana is worth? How many calories a chunk of fresh chicken is? It's all here.

Calories burned calculator : About how many calories did you burn by running around the block for an hour? Check it out.

Originally posted by billster:

Also, I don't recommend skipping breakfast. Like you said, you would be feral - and more likely to overeat when you do get food.

This is the biggest and hardest habit of mine to break. I've been breakfastless for "decades" and I'm sure this, along with late night dinner/snack schedule has been a major portion of my continued enlargement over the years.

I've seen some success since getting on board here, but part of that is being attributed to my new found snow shoveling hobby. I'm not even worried about actual weight loss as much as addressing these engrained meal habits.

Best to all,

Dogfur

Woof!

Originally posted by Dogfur:

...but part of that is being attributed to my new found snow shoveling hobby.

Dogfur

Dogfur, if you're within driving distance I can certainly help you out with your new hobby, no charge!

Yay! The base gym just got all new weight machines, and they've abandoned the electronic crap, these things are iron, pulleys, nylon-coated cables and sweeet!!! That'll keep me going to the gym, at least until April 15th! :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by antimatter:

My weakness is late night snacks. What can you eat late that's low cal and can cure a sweet tooth?

How about baby carrots?

I don't keep sweets and snacks in the house, because I'll eat them.

I'm pretty good at the market. I don't buy a bunch of junk food.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Botch.:

[QB]Dogfur, if you're within driving distance I can certainly help you out with your new hobby, no charge!

:thu: I certainly appreciate the offer, Ogden to Reno is about 550 miles, and the roads are supposedly clear now - and Wendover is so lovely this time of year :rolleyes: ... Actually I've got my driveway & walkways & dogpaths done, but I am getting pretty mad about not being able to get my car out of my driveway - have had to take the Blazer to work. My wife & son have some pretty serious cabin fever at this point.

We got about 6 - 9 feet of snow in town over 1 week. (Yay! I've got my ski pass this year!) You guys must have been smacked pretty hard with these last storms, no?

Best,

Dogfur

Woof!

Originally posted by antimatter:

My weakness is late night snacks. What can you eat late that's low cal and can cure a sweet tooth?

Moi aussi. Usually I only have some cheese and cracker (whole wheat ones) or a bowl of cereal. Sometimes, when I'm particularly snackish - I make nachos.

I know, I know....

I actually priced new X-country ski gear last night - about $300 for a whole new rig. Which I don't need, as my ski's and poles are fine, but my boots and bindings suck donkeyass.

Cheers!

Spencer

As it concerns the dates, dried figs and raisins, I don't recommend those as snacks.

Why?

They are potential sugar-bombs because they have all the sugar of the source fruit, but condensed into smaller packages, making them easier to eat such that you can easily consume more of them than you would if they were not dried.

This is not just a concern for those with diabetes...spiking your body with foods with a high glycemic index can cause a rush release of insulin that will drop your blood sugar quickly...leaving you hungry again in no time.

Better to go for a protein-based snack...takes longer to digest, has less total calories, makes you feel satiated for a longer period of time (as compared to simple carbs/sugar snacks).

So go for some unsalted nuts...good source of healthy oils and other nutrients too!

my 2 cents,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Better to go for a protein-based snack...takes longer to digest, has less total calories, makes you feel satiated for a longer period of time (as compared to simple carbs/sugar snacks).

So go for some unsalted nuts...good source of healthy oils and other nutrients too!

my 2 cents,

aeon

Yes, I have been known to snack on peanuts, cashews, hazilnuts - whatever is in the cupboard. Fantastic snack :thu:

Cheers!

Spencer

As it concerns the dates, dried figs and raisins, I don't recommend those as snacks.

Why?

They are potential sugar-bombs because they have all the sugar of the source fruit, but condensed into smaller packages, making them easier to eat such that you can easily consume more of them than you would if they were not dried.

This is not just a concern for those with diabetes...spiking your body with foods with a high glycemic index can cause a rush release of insulin that will drop your blood sugar quickly...leaving you hungry again in no time.

my 2 cents,

aeon

That's true, but I was responding to a "candy substitute" question.

Actually, I usually combine the fruits and nuts (and I don't even live in California! :D ) I usually have a banana and a little pile of dry roast peanuts...right about now :D

Botch's Bimonthly Bulletin:

1 January: 237 lbs

15 January: 230 lbs

Well, right direction anyway! After New year's the guys in my shop have an "Annual Chris Farley Memorial Weight Loss" competition, throw $20 in the kitty and you have to lose 5% of your body mass by tax day, April 15th. Winners divvie up the kitty, and usually end up buying pizza for the losers. :D

My bigger incentive is the Air Force's new fitness program, they've gone back to the 1.5-mile run, pushups, crunches, and "abdominal circumference" measurement, I did pretty poorly in all four areas, gotta fix that up.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I registered 209 on the scale yesterday. I have not been down that low since I was in my late 30's. Wow! I hadn't eaten for too long a period of time though and got back to 210 by morning, but that's ok, because 211 was my goal for the week and I've beaten that. So, next it's 209 to stay. Man, I'm only 10 weeks away from 199!! Here's the weird thing. My pants are too damn big now. I wore a 32/34 in high school. Then I grew to a 34/34. I went to a 36/34 in my 40's, and last summer I was needing 38/34's because the 36's were getting too tight. Now the 36's are gettin baggy. 34's here I come!

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I went for my first winter jog on Saturday morning. First time I had done any running (as a physical regimine, anyways) since May. I had been on the bike all summer, and the Fall saw me with little time to do much of anything.

It took me 18 minutes to jog around the lake that usually takes me 15minutes. In my defense, I had a nasty headwind coming back up the far side. I plan on stepping up the frequencey of my jogs before very long. I simply have to decide on the best time to do it.

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

I went for my first winter jog on Saturday morning. First time I had done any running (as a physical regimine, anyways) since May. I had been on the bike all summer, and the Fall saw me with little time to do much of anything.

It took me 18 minutes to jog around the lake that usually takes me 15minutes. In my defense, I had a nasty headwind coming back up the far side. I plan on stepping up the frequencey of my jogs before very long. I simply have to decide on the best time to do it.

Cheers!

Spencer

Way to go Spencer! I'm needing some exercise time to help eliminate the belly, but my weeks are taken up with driving, sleeping, driving, sleeping, etc. I'm getting in crunches and push ups most everyday, but that is it so far. I'm hoping with spring and some warmer weather that I'll force myself to take the time to go for a walk before I sleep, depending on the safety of the area I'm in.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I'll join the effort, only in reverse as I am too light, especially for being a roadie type!

I'm a touch under 6' and am 118 pounds. I'll aim to be at least 130 by the time my school year is up (Early May).

Dang hummingbird metabolism!

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Soundcrafter:

I'll join the effort, only in reverse as I am too light, especially for being a roadie type!

I'm a touch under 6' and am 118 pounds. I'll aim to be at least 130 by the time my school year is up (Early May).

Dang hummingbird metabolism!

Of course, we hate you. But, if you go to GNC, you'll find all these "weight gain" products. Of course, they want you to be lifting weights so the weight you put on is muscle mass and not blubber.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'll aim to be at least 130 by the time my school year is up (Early May).
I'm 6'1 and didn't break 130 until my late twenties. Now at 46, I top out at 175. :D

That's my reward for being underweight all through high school.

Some people at work are also having a weight loss competition. And they are very competitive. Half of them look like they are on a major Trim Spa buzz.

Well, I have lost enough weight that my jeans were falling down...and since I did not want to look like I was trying to earn street cred, ;) I went and got my belt (usually never worn).

I tightened it up, and even when buckled at the tightest setting, it was still too loose! :D:eek::thu:

I dunno if I am going to be ready for a bikini by summer, LOL, but I am pleased with my own progress.

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Archived